Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I've barely touched my iPhone today, but it begs to differ:

My battery life is usually excellent, and the only thing that's changed is that I upgraded BiteSMS last night. A reboot fixed it.

Even on a "good" non-draining setup/usage pattern, sometimes poo poo just happens.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Okay.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's also perfectly possible to downgrade A4 devices like the iPhone 4 (and ih8snow's got A5 downgrades working), provided you did the right thing & saved SHSH Blobs and APTicket(5.x) for your device, but whatever. gently caress Apple.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 29, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

DeMoN posted:

There is absolutely NO WAY to downgrade unless you have an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4
The original complainer has a 4.

quote:

and you have SHSH saved ANNDDD AptTicket. If it is your first time downgrading, I am sure you don't have AptTicket saved
Newer versions of TinyUmbrella automatically save them with the SHSH.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 30, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

So next steps: When I shut down tinyumbrella and try to upgrade, I get a "phone is not elligible for this update." That weird. Any pointers from here on out? The previous Backup, update, backup, restore is what got me into this mess.
Make sure gs.apple.com isn't in your hosts file.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Your problem (presuming you didn't save 5.0.1 SHSH blobs) is that your window of opportunity is closed and Apple are no longer signing 4.x (meaning you can't restore) or 5.0.1 (meaning you can't upgrade), and 5.1 is a tethered jailbreak.

Your only two choices are to keep it on 4.x, or create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu. This will work, but your phone will have to be connected to your PC so you can click "Just Boot" every time you power on or reboot your phone.

You might be able to fix your data by emailing this file to yourself and opening it on your phone.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 1, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

By the setup screen, do you mean it's sitting at the SIM activation screen?

I've never used a GeveySIM but as I understand it, once you're in the phone you have to wait until you see 1 bar of service, dial 112 Emergency, hang up after 2 seconds, and then toggle Airplane mode on and off, possibly twice.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yes, I agree it's definitely a grey area. Calling 112 authorises you on any cell company tower, which is how the unlock works, meaning that strictly speaking you have initiated a call. In reality though the call hasn't gone through to the other end yet, and GeveySIMs seem to have been on sale for a year without incident.

Xithyl posted:

The initial setup where I choose language, country, etc. It can't activate my SIM, I get that error and I'm pretty much stuck at the screen and unable to go forward. As I mentioned I did move forward somehow, but that's gone now.

Use redsn0w to jailbreak it (just the "Jailbreak" button this time, not the custom IPSW) and make sure Deactivate is unchecked. (or Activate is checked, I forget which way around it is).

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 3, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I've always wondered why downgrading from beta IOSes to release versions downgrades the baseband as well.

I take it caching BBTicket will also allow for baseband downgrades as well as firmware downgrades?

Mark Larson posted:

Sometimes I feel that hacking groups should keep their methods to themselves, because invariably Apple (and in the Android world, Google and the OEM's) always make a point to block their methods with the next update
They do.

When geohot released his limera1n bootrom exploit, the iPhone Dev Team shelved their own (SHAtter) and recoded greenpois0n to use limera1n instead. Plenty of scene drama ensued when the unused SHAtter bootrom exploit was leaked, causing Apple to patch it in A5.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 11, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Why not just leave it on 5.1? The baseband should still be at 06.15.00, the 5.1 jailbreak is untethered on the old bootrom 3GS and you can use ultrasn0w fixer to make ultrasn0w work.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 12, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Of course they didn't disable it. There is no iOS 5.1 restriction. That's ridiculous.

It's either a broken adapter/cable or a 5.x bug.

There were a number of complaints on the Apple forum when 5.0 came out from people saying their adapter and/or cable stopped working and needed replacing after upgrading from 4.x, and there still plenty of people bitching that it doesn't work in 5.1 either.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

I'm not sure about this one, but it looks like an unlock has been found for any iOS, any baseband.

The method involves tricking iTunes into thinking your "Brand X" SIM card actually belongs to the carrier your iPhone is locked to.

http://laforeta.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/how-to-spoof.html

I tried it on my girlfriend's old 3GS that's just been sitting in a drawer. Worked perfectly on 5.1.

The activation ticket is good for 3 years, apparently, but if you rely on this method you should backup everything in /var/Root/Library/Lockdown.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 22, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Why wouldn't you just use iExplorer to back up the game saves, do a clean restore, and copy them back? Guaranteed clean.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Oneiros posted:

The ticket is valid for a specific SIM. If you swap SIMs, you have to repeat the unlock process.

You can think of it as unlocking an individual SIM, rather than unlocking the iPhone.

This...except Apple started fixing the activation servers yesterday. Any attempts on SIMs you haven't already 'unlocked' will fail.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Have you checked if it's an old-bootrom 3GS? They're untethered on 5.1.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

You can guess it based on the serial number (3rd digit is a 9 and 4th+5th is lower than 39), but it's not very accurate if it's a refurb/replacement device. I have a 2010 Week 39 that's old bootrom despite being an entire year newer than "new bootrom" devices.

The best way to check is to put it in DFU mode and look at the iBoot value in Device Manager/System Profiler. 359.3 is old. 359.3.2 is new.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Lincolnstein posted:

I was looking around and now I'm wondering, I'm not able to jailbreak right now since the phone came running 5.1 and I don't have the blob for 5.0.1 to downgrade, right?
Correct.

pod2g has an untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak working on everything so it shouldn't be a problem in a few weeks.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

You are not going to see an ATV3 jailbreak anytime soon, if at all.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

Others said the same thing. Some people got on their web chat and got an unlock with zero effort on their part, some had to call and argue for half an hour. Some got the run-around from the first person they called, but were unlocked immediately when they called again and spoke with someone else.

With my luck, I'd end up on hold again for another hour before being told to gently caress off. I figured I'd just wait the extra weeks/months and try again after I'm sure the device is over 2 years old.

I like traveling, and I spent some time in Canada last month. Even though my billing cycle ended right in the middle of the trip (and so I was charged twice for my roaming package), AT&T actually went back and pro-rated it for how much I actually used. They basically refunded me the double-billed roaming packages (voice, text, and data), and only charged me for the 5 days or so I had the service active. What's more, they did this without me even calling them about it. They basically decided on their own to give me money back.

Looking SIM cards, I don't think I could have gotten one cheaper than just paying for roaming. Maybe if I spent a ton of time outside the USA (2 weeks+ at a time), having an unlocked device would be a major benefit. But right now, getting my old iPhone 3GS unlocked is simply a nice extra to have, since I'll probably just bring my 4S with me and pay roaming again on my next trip.

I'd say it's worth the hassle to get it unlocked. You're still much better off getting a prepaid SIM in Canada than paying roaming rates, particularly for data, and Apple Stores will hand out SIM cards for free.

AT&T charge $25 for a 50MB international data pack, you could easily get 10x that amount from pretty much any Canadian provider. For much of last year Telus had a promotion offering unlimited data for $20.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

iPhone 4, 5.0.1, 1.59.00

Is it possible for me to upgrade to 5.1.1 preserving my 1.59.00 baseband?

Use redsn0w's extras menu to create a custom IPSW that preserves baseband.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

As far as I know, iCloud only holds one backup.

iTunes defaults to just one backup as well, unless the backup folders have different names. That allows you to have a virtually unlimited number of backups to go back to. Only until recently did I still have a 4.2.1, 4.3.3, and 5.0.1 backup saved.

Of course, you have to know & rename ahead of time to be able to select backups. If you only have one backup available to you now, you cannot get back an old & deleted one (that I know of).

iTunes is one backup per iOS version, not one total like iCloud. A 5.0 backup will never be overwritten with a 5.1 backup.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 25, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Update on AT&T unlocking my phone: I'm on hold with them again and the guy said "it looks like" the unlock is finished but he's not sure so he's asking someone else. That's great, but how do I find out for sure if my phone is unlocked or not? I'm reliant on the 1.59.00 baseband for ultrasn0w at the moment, and I don't want to gamble and upgrade my phone and baseband only to find out I'm poo poo out of luck of a phone because the guy was wrong.
Typically once the unlock request is sent to Apple it takes a few days for it to hit the server.

If/once it goes through, you'll see this next time you plug in to iTunes:

(The official line is that you should "restore your phone", but that's never been the case for me.)

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, nothing changed in iOS 5, ie. there's no on-device message, it's an iTunes-only thing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Some sites are suggesting -5 is fixed by (another?) erase all content and settings, but based on what I've seen on Twitter sometimes its only fixed by trying another machine.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Xithyl posted:

For whatever reason, when this new tethered jailbreak came out via Absinthe 2.0, I saw online I could basically just restore to 5.1.1 from iTunes and be good. Idiot. I'm assuming I'd need to make a custom IPSW to preserve my baseband, which I didn't do. Now my iPhone is in the setup stage, on 5.1.1, with the invalid SIM error.
You're pretty much but not totally hosed. There are new GeveySIMs that work with the 5.1.1 baseband.

http://jaxov.com/2012/04/unlock-iphone-4-ios-5-1-baseband-gevey-ultra-5-1/

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

OptimusMatrix posted:

Question I'm going to Mexico this weekend and I called Sprint to Unlock my phone. They said I just have to plug it in, back it up, and restore it. Now My phone is a 4S thats Jailbroken using the latest jailbreak. Whats going to happen when I back it up and restore it. Am I going to lose the jailbreak when I back up and restore my phone. What exactly is gonna happen?

They always say you need to restore your iPhone to get unlocked, but in my experience (going way back to getting my 3G unlocked in 2008) it's never been a requirement. Just plug it into iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

uh zip zoom posted:

okay, I'm a first time iPhone owner trying to jailbreak for the first time. I backed up my phone on icloud, cleared my content/settings, fired up evasi0n, but my phone doesn't show up, and the jailbreak button is grayed out. Is this a common occurrence with an easy fix or should I just restore my backup?

Do you have a passcode set?

• Locked thread