Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'd like to point out that even if you do NOT want to jailbreak, even if you HATE the idea of it and will NEVER do it, you should still back up your SHSH.

SHSH isn't exclusive to jailbreaking. It has to do with downgrading your iOS device if Apple releases a new version you hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Unresponsiveness usually comes with running out of RAM. I'd blame something like WinterBoard or other stuff first.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Grayham posted:

How can I force install a package while ignoring its iOS dependency?

I'm running 4.3.3. I tried apt-get install sbsettings-tether but it says:

code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sbsettings-tether: PreDepends: firmware (< 4.2) but 4.3.3 is to be installed

Just a note, the "correct" SBSettings toggle for tethering I found is called SBSetting Tethering Toggle by Filipe Pina (not SBSettings Tether Toggle by Ryan Petrich). Note the missing s on "SBSetting".

There are two in the store. The one spelled right is broke, the one that isn't spelled right works.
You're asking how to force an install of a broken program (sbsettings-tether). One that is thankfully limited since it doesn't work. com.fopina.sbtethering is the correct package.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, with iOS 5.0 installed, I immediately starting missing these things:

- MyWi (used with my iPad 2 and Nook Color).
- ByteFont's Ubuntu font.
- Barrel's "Inside Cube" transition.
- BiteSMS's improved chat client. Simple things like "touch the chat part to hide the keyboard" are just brilliant compared to what happens by default (hint: nothing).

I'm so use to all of those, going without them is like using someone else's yucky phone.

I know a tethered jailbreak is possible (i0n1c says the untether from 4.3.x has been patched), but since the phone has locked on me once since installing the beta, I'm assuming I'm going to end up someplace where I need to reboot.

And of course, the memory situation on my 3GS with 5.0 may be more painful than it was in 4.3.x. I'm not sure yet, it could just be an "unoptimized beta" issue. Or maybe I just need to turn off notifications to get some speed back.

I keep thinking that I'll just go back to 4.1 on my 3GS. It had the best performance of the 4.x releases.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've been trying to use Backgrounder to tame the memory usage on my 3GS. I leave on native multitasking, but by default most apps have "Fast App Switching" disabled.

All the apps I like to keep open (Notes, Safari, etc) stay open. Stuff like games close immediately. Anything that *needs* to run in the background (Pandora, etc) is left alone.
This keeps my memory mostly clear, and I haven't been getting any slowdown that usually comes when my device runs out of RAM and iOS struggles to close background apps everytime I open something.

It seems like a great thing - unfortunately, it says "The developer no longer has time to properly support this project." on the Cydia page. The last update was in April (which isn't so bad), but I was hoping something like this gets updated to work in future versions of iOS, such as 5.0. It's really helpful on low-RAM devices (anything not an iPad 2 or iPhone 4).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mister ginger posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem with apps that were bought on the i-tunes app store quitting instantly, once their iphone has been jailbroken?

It seems that every app that I have purchased will open for about a split second, and then close.

iBooks is the only problem app I know of. I've not heard of apps crashing just from jailbreaking.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

withak posted:

iBooks actually checked if you were jailbroken and then exited if you were, probably at the request of publishers who thought that people were using jailbreaking to steal their books. There was patch to stop it on Cydia pretty shortly after that behavior appeared.

The big issue with iBooks was not that it simply "exited", but that the DRM/fairplay part of it tripped it up and caused lots of errors in the program.

The "hunnypot.deb" fix (included in redsn0w and PwnageTool, but not limera1n or greenp0ison) blocks the bad behavior in 4.1 and 4.2.1 (by hiding the fact the device is jailbroken from iBooks).

iBook's DRM is completely busted in 4.3.x (and maybe 5.0). There is no patch in Cydia or anywhere else to fix it. It opens DRM protected books, but has poo poo loads of memory errors. It results in blank pages, corrupted graphics, and missing pages.

It's funny, because even in non-jailbroken iOS 5.0, iBooks has the same errors as it does in jailbroken 4.3.x. Namely corrupted images. The DRM in iBooks is so bad that it causes problems on non-jailbroken versions of iOS if they differ enough from what the DRM was designed for (4.x).

The problems only occur on books protected with DRM.

This was posted back in April:

quote:

@i0n1c All this iBook trickery just stops legitimate customers from using it. Pirates won't care from the first second. DRM companies = Stupid

@i0n1c It is sad that companies like Apple force their customers to not use their products or to pirate the books.

@i0n1c iBook DRM won't work with the current kernel patches.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
redsn0w for iOS 5 is out.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5
(Mac build, so far, at this time.)

Tethered jailbreak, of course.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also, if there's any apps you REALLY care for, Use DataDeposit to back them up individually then restore them once you have the phone set up.

DataDeposit is one of the best reasons to jailbreak. No more screwing around with backing up data or worries when wiping/restoring.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Apps posted:

So, I know there's that small blurb in the OP, but does anyone have any suggestions for some killer/cool jailbreak features? There's just so much JUNK out there on Cydia that it's hard to figure out what's good and what's not even worth installing.

I'm a big fan of MxTube for HD YouTube archival purposes, although it does kill your disk space pretty quickly.

EDIT: Just checked the docs list in the OP, and while pretty vague on the actual quality of the apps, SpringFlash and Weathericon look like a couple of must haves as well.

It's pointless to search Cydia looking for stuff. You have to just look at what others already like.

What I use:

- DataDeposit. Backsup and restore individual app settings/saved games to Dropbox.
- iFile. File management/browser.
- Mail Enhancer. Use a different signature for each mail account.
- CleanStatus. Remove the carrier (correctly) and other things you may want to hide.
- BiteSMS. Improved SMS client with contact pictures, keyboard hiding, and "reply anywhere" feature.
- Manual Correct. Leave spellcheck enabled without it (stupidly) replacing all your words.
- BytaFont. Font replacement. I recommend the Ubuntu font.
- SBSettings. Quick access to adjust brightness, connect VPN, and toggle other stuff. (recommended theme: "Serious SBSettings". recommended plugins: "SBSetting Tethering Toggle", "SBSettings VPN Toggle")
- Switcher Mod. Easily close tasks, hide recent-ran programs, etc.
- OpenSSH. Enable file browsing from your computer, shell access, etc (remember to change the root and mobile password!).
- iSHSHit. Back up SHSH from Apple/Cydia.
- Barrel. Fun springboard transitions.
- TetherMe. Enable iOS native tethering.
- iBlacklist. Call block.
- Cyntact. Adds contact pictures to list of contacts.
- SMS GV Extension / Phone GV Extension. Use Google Voice to send/receive SMS and phone calls.
- VoiceActivator. Voice controls and fun text to speech program.
- Navigate from Maps. Allows you to use Google's great search and then send it to a program like Navigon or TomTom to map out.
- 3G Unrestrictor. Anything that "requires" WiFi will now work over 3G.
- MyWi. Enables WiFi hotspot, USB, and Bluetooth tethering.

Special cases (alters how things work, may impact other stuff):
- MyOS. Disable multitasking and change other system settings.
- FolderEnhancer. Full-screen folders, quicker opening, more icons.
- MultiIconMovier. Works best with FolderEnhancer to move lots of icons at the same time.
- Gridlock. Place icons anywhere.

If you really wanna (memory issues. slippery slope of chaos):
- WinterBoard. The Game Genie of iOS. Memory patching, themes, etc.

Lots of goons (like me) have also helped out with a compatibility list of apps. There are descriptions/notes for most of them:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=tEZzauUtXmuccL2dgge8nAA&authkey=CMmC_5gE

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

navyjack posted:

Is there a way to get BiteSMS to work with Google voice texts on my iPad? I tried messing around with the "carrier" settings but no joy.

Did you install the SMS GV Extension?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have a few questions that I haven't seen answered anywhere (yet).

- How well does this work on the iPad 2 GSM model? As of yesterday, the "stolen" PDFs didn't work on the GSM or CDMA model. Now many sites still list "iPad 2", with no mention of GSM/CDMA.

- How different is this jailbreak compared to i0n1c's? i0n1c's broke iBooks DRM, and he said there would be no fix possible if you used his exploit (based on the way the hack itself worked). Is this a different exploit?

Does iBooks DRM work? Has anyone that used the new jailbreak tested iBooks to see if DRM works again?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the pdf exploit affect all ios devices or just iPad2? Do I need to patch my jailbroken iPad?

The PDF exploit is on all iOS devices (except maybe Apple TV), at least 4.2.1, 4.3.0, 4.3.1, 4.3.2, and 4.3.3.

So even an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 should install the PDF exploit fixer (which is NOT showing up for me in Cydia yet).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

randyest posted:

My iBooks works fine. Ipad2, jailbreakme.com

Works fine? Is this just iBooks opening, opening a PDF, opening an un-protected book, or opening a DRM-protected book?

I love how sloppy and hosed documentation is on this. Where would one go for real information on this? Is there some official wiki?

What I know:

iOS 4.1:
iBooks DRM is partially hosed. It sometimes tells you to re-download the program.
Fix: ???
Closing and re-opening sometimes worked.

iOS 4.2.x:
limera1n: iBooks DRM is broke.
greenpois0n: iBooks DRM is broke.
redsn0w: iBooks DRM works (includes the "hunnypot" fix).
sn0wbreeze: iBooks DRM works (includes the "hunnypot" fix).
(I don't recommend using limera1n or greenpois0n.)

iOS 4.3.x:
iBooks DRM is hosed.
i0n1c confirms the kernel patches in his jailbreak will not allow iBooks DRM to function. There is *no* fix to get iBooks fully working with his jailbreak.

The new JailbreakMe "3.0" is an all-new style of jailbreak, but I've seen multiple people say it still breaks iBooks.

Others say iBooks does not work:
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/47835/ipad-2-64gb-3g-jbme-ibooks-problem
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/46318/ipad-2-433-jbme-ibooks-crashing
http://jailbreakqa.com/questions/47095/hunnypot-30

So when people say it works/doesn't work, is that for DRM, or something else?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
4.3.4 / 4.2.9 are out.

The PDF exploit is the only fix, so there is zero reason to upgrade if you're jailbroken.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
TinyUmbrella has nothing to do with jailbreaking your device. It is for installing firmware that Apple is no longer giving permission to install.

I run TinyUmbrella all the time to back up an assload of SHSH blobs for a bunch of devices I don't even have. Most of the devices I use TinyUmbrella for are not jailbroken, or have ever been jailbroken.
It is simply a tool to backup the SHSH blob that Apple is signing at that current time. It doesn't matter what version of iOS you have installed, or what version you want to install. The only thing that matters is what Apple is signing _this second_.
You don't use it to jailbreak. You don't use it "after a jailbreak". You use it to backup your SHSH for any iOS device.

I would run it NOW to see if you can backup the 4.3.3. I don't give a poo poo if your intention is to jailbreak or not, just run TinyUmbrella and grab your SHSH blobs ASAP. Run it on all your friends' iOS devices as well.

Just run TinyUmbrella now, and run it again every time a new firmware is released. Everything else is irrelevant.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Xenomorph said he backs up SHSHs from devices he doesn't even own, so they must not be unique to the device. I guess Cydia is how I can get one, but I don't see how.

SHSH is very unique to each device.

You just plug in the ECID and TinyUmbrella grabs the SHSH.
- You never have to physically touch the device. TinyUmbrella lets you manually type in device information.
- The device does not even need to be functional. It can be busted into a dozen pieces. You can still request and backup the SHSH from Apple.
- What is installed on the device is not important at all. It doesn't matter if you're running 3.0 or 5.0. Apple is only* signing 4.3.4 now.
(*Apple is will continue to sign 4.2.1 for the iPhone 3G, and they are still signing 4.1 for some devices, such as my 3GS.)

Consider Cydia's functionality with SHSH busted. I wouldn't rely on it any more. Right now, I have at least 60 backed up SHSH blobs. They are local though. Cydia only has some of them.

I just bought my wife a new iPad 2, and the first thing I did when I took the shrink wrap off was get the ECID and backup the SHSH.
When I find people that don't understand or don't want to jailbreak, I tell them "let me back up your SHSH, just in case you change your mind and want to give it a try later".

It only takes a minute, and it can "make your life easier" (as Cydia would say) at a later date.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Goddamn it, I guess I cant jailbreak my iPad 2 since I left it on 4.3.1. Do you all recommend I go ahead and go to 4.3.4 and wait, or stay where I am?

Just install 4.3.3 and jailbreak.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Have you been backing up your SHSH blobs?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ddogflex posted:

I had no idea you could make SHSH backups without being on the version it's backing up. That is really good to know.

Read some of the stuff I've posted about SHSH (or what anyone has posted about SHSH blobs).

It has nothing to do with what you're running. Your device doesn't even have to be functional.
Also, it doesn't back up the SHSH from your device, it downloads it from Apple.com and backs it up to your local system.

Even if you are still running 4.3.1 right now, when you go to back up your SHSH, it will download the 4.3.4 blob from Apple. That is what they are signing right now.

Tip: Every time a new iOS version is released, back up your SHSH. It only takes like 5 minutes, and you'll never know when a certain iOS version will come in handy.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

m0isty posted:

iBooks is hosed on jailbroken devices as far as I know.

Well, iBooks works on 4.2.1!
But yeah, it's flaky on 4.1 and completely busted on 4.3 and later.

I hope no one actually wanted to open any of those books acquired from Apple!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
What a bunch of crap. I've been telling people for weeks/months that Apple is still signing iOS 4.1, and suddenly it's being posted on various sites like it's some amazing new thing.

Yeah, Apple is still signing/never stopped signing 4.1:

http://twitter.com/#!/comex/status/99625996893954048
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/08/05/apple-signing-ios-4-1/

It's probably the best-performing 4.x release, but unfortunately suffers from "Call failed" issues, a flaky iBooks, and incompatibility with more and more 4.2/4.3 apps.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

Any tips on increasing performance of an old-school 3GS? I'm willing to do almost anything at this point. It takes about 30 seconds to open Safari, wait for it to respond, open the bookmarks, and have it register me tapping on a link..

4.3 uses significantly more RAM than 4.1/4.2 on the 3GS, like 25%-50% more (and offers very little benefit to 3GS users).

With SBSettings, I have it show free RAM by the clock. When I get to under 60MB free or so, I start killing apps. iOS waits until it is totally out of RAM before it starts auto-closing things, which results in pauses, jerkiness, and long open times for some apps.

SwitcherMod will put an X on every open app in the Task Switcher, without having to press/hold to get it. This makes it a little quicker and easier to double-tap Home and start closing apps.

You could always downgrade to 4.1/4.2.1 if you want more speed. 4.1 is the quickest, but has issues with Call Failed, some apps not working (that require 4.2+), and iBooks sometimes telling you it can't open. I've found 4.2.1 to be the best blend of performance and "it just works" on the 3GS.

However, I don't remember 4.3.x being that bad as you describe. Usually after one *massive* load time, the app would run fine for me.
First step, backup everything and restore fresh to 4.3.3 (if that is what you want to keep). If that doesn't help, then try 4.2.1.
iTunes won't let you restore a backup made in 4.3.3 on 4.2.1, but DataDeposit will let you restore app settings and saved games backed up in 4.3.3 to 4.2.1.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

Thanks for all the info. I setup SBSettings to show free RAM and have been using RemoveBG to kill everything at once, as well as SwitcherMod to kill individual apps. I'm definitely getting better performance, but I can't loving stand managing this poo poo.

So, before I start with the DataDeposit and restore dance, is there an app that will prevent backgrounding of all apps? Preferably with a white-list so that some can stay open.

Backgrounder!

You can set up a whitelist of apps that need to run in the background.

There are several levels of control. I haven't used it in a while (I chose to downgrade instead), but I think it has different levels like this:

1) If an app is actually doing something (playing music, file transfer, etc), it will leave it alone. Else, close everything that isn't whitelisted. (This one may be best.)

2) If it isn't on a whitelist, close it (except apps that have always ran in the background, like Mail, Safari, etc).

3) Close everything, all the time (kills Mail, Safari, etc).

4) Keep everything open (default 4.x behavior), in addition to things that are pre-4.0 apps (major ram killer).

I used it for a while, but the Backgrounder author says they won't update the program any more. I guess they got an iPhone 4 and thinks everyone has at least 512 megs of RAM now. It worked as of 4.3.3 I believe.

Also, if you HATE managing poo poo on iOS, you'd love Android. Task Killers are some of the top downloads. You get poo poo running in the background all the time, eating CPU and killing battery life. There isn't a simple notification system or any OS control over stuff, so you end up with "closed" programs always running, even when you never gave them permission to (every app on iOS that wants to send notifications must get permission first when ran - Android apps supposedly get all the permission they need just by allowing them to be installed). A lot of people will tell you to "let the OS handle things", but when it's like night and day performance differences by killing apps, you'll learn pretty quickly the importance of using a Task Killer. Killing tasks, hunting in every program's preferences to disable its own notification system, uninstalling poo poo programs, and rebooting all the time to fix stuff is something I find myself doing way too much on Android. A "kill all apps" button on iOS would help, but iOS seems to keep most stuff in line pretty well. The biggest problem with iOS is that it waits too long before closing background apps (it should start auto-closing stuff at 40-60MB free, not when it hits 0MB free).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 11, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I completely forgot that DRMed ebooks were broken on jailbroken devices. Is there any fix for that?

I mean, it's mostly readable but it's annoying as hell how it will randomly skip entire chapters and images won't work 90% of the time.

I haven't tested anything on JailbreakMe 3.0, but I know iBooks will "always" be broken on the old 4.3.x jailbreak due to kernel issues (according the i0n1c, the one who made the jailbreak). I don't know if JailbreakMe 3.0 uses different kernel patches and allows iBooks to work. Asking around (here or other sites) usually gets you one or more of the following three responses:

1) iBooks works great! (when it obviously doesn't, and even the jailbreak devs confirmed it doesn't work)
2) "readin' is for suckers."
3) "Who uses iBooks?" Use Kindle/Google/or some other app that also can't open iBooks files.

4.2.1 is the only version of iOS that I know of where iBooks works correctly. It always opens, and DRM works.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

illcendiary posted:

My purchases (BiteSMS, Lockinfo, MyWi) will be preserved on Cydia's end if I decide to re-jailbreak in the future, correct?

Yes.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
First thing, connect it to your computer and run Tiny Umbrella to make sure you have the SHSH backed up for it.

If it has already been jailbroken, there is a chance that you can restore clean to 4.3.3 still.

Also, Verizon phones don't have SIM cards.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
- Connect to TU and hit "Save SHSH". Pray that it has your 4.3.3 SHSH.

- Download the 4.3.3 IPSW for your device.
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

IF you get the 4.3.3 SHSH, then click the "Start TSS Server" in TU.
Hold Shift and click Restore in iTunes, select the 4.3.3 IPSW. This will wipe the phone and do a clean install.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I dunno why Xenomorph was so hellbent on you saving your SHSHes when all you really seem concerned with is having a working phone first, and a jailbroken phone second. But then again I think he's the crazy guy that backs up all his friends and family's SHSHes too, so...anyway.

Well, this *is* the jailbreak thread, and having your 4.3.3. SHSH is required to install the latest untethered jailbreak-able iOS.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So does it look like mayhaps my Host file has been dicked with? And I should follow the "rebuild network information" bit?

Tiny Unbrella may change your Hosts file. Run it again and make sure it doesn't say something like "Set Hosts to Cydia on exit".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Does that mean he won't be able to do jailbreak work?

That's how I read it. No more jailbreak help from him. In fact, he's probably working with Apple to improve security, making it more difficult for others to jailbreak.

Edit, I just had to double check - JailbreakQA was put up with Comex's help as well. I wonder if anything will happen to that.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ziir posted:

Is it possible to psuedotheme without Winterboard yet? I just want to replace the icon for a few apps and I don't think that warrants installing such an invasive hack.

People were theming before WinterBoard existed. WinterBoard just made theming easier. Like it was pointed out, you just have to manually replace the files on your device (really easy with something like FileZilla/SFTP).

Just look at the file names used in the themes and replace the actual files with those to theme without having to use WinterBoard.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Am I correct in assuming that iPhones from the Apple Store will have 4.3.5 loaded on them by default since it's been out a few weeks now? My home button only works half the time and only having a tethered jb will be annoying...

I learned to stop taking my iPhone to Apple. I've ordered parts off eBay several times to fix and re-build my 3GS.

If someone ever pulls open my iPhone they will be greeted with writing on the logicboard inside (the hard-to-get-to side). I "tagged" it so they know it's mine.

I've had my iPhone pulled apart into a few dozen pieces. It's been the same logicboard since iOS 3.x days, but other stuff is new. New battery, new screen, new LCD, new Home button, etc. I figure replacing stuff myself is a _LOT_ easier than dealing with getting a new phone, losing all my SHSH backups, my jailbreak, losing my WiFi tethering, etc.
Since I have a 3GS, jailbreaking is the *only* way I can share the connection via WiFi. You have no idea how great this can be if you're out traveling. Once I get an iPhone 5 (and can get the luxury of paying for WiFi tethering), jailbreaking will be less important.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Nam Taf posted:

What's the diagnosis on a 3GS that can only get EDGE/2G reception? As soon as it switches to 3G, it drops all bars, etc. and cannot get any signal whatsoever. That'd be the logic board, wouldn't it? :(

What baseband & iOS version?

I'm not positive, but if your iOS and baseband versions are far apart is may cause trouble (like you've never updated your baseband, ever, and you're running iOS 4.3.3, or you've had the latest baseband installed, and you've downgraded back to iOS 4.1).
It may not be that - have you done a full Restore to see if it still acts up?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone got any ideas?

Due to some strange hack weirdness (maybe with baseband versions being different), you may need to load a pre-patched/hacked IPSW.

With 4.1, I can just use Apple's untouched IPSW.
With 4.2.1, I'd get errors and end up stuck in recovery. I ended up using sn0wbreeze to build a custom 4.2.1 IPSW, and that installed fine.

Try building a 4.3.3 IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ridonkulous posted:

I have Iphone4 with 4.3.5
I can do a tethered jailbreak but do I need to save my SHSH and what happens if I do not?

SHSH is used for downgrading your device (and isn't necessarily related to jailbreaking).

If you do not back up your SHSH for the current version of iOS, you will simply not be able to install that specific version of iOS once Apple stops approving it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I honestly would switch to a Droid if I didn't have the phone and SMS Google Voice extensions.

My friend, co-worker(s), and I couldn't even consider using anything Android. We use our devices (iPhones and iPads) for work (much of it remote management), and the absolute horrible VPN support in Android is an immediate show-stopper. If you want a toy that you can tweak and hack 24/7, then go with Android. If you want something that "just works" you have to go with iOS. It's not a matter of personal preference, Android simply doesn't even compare to iOS at the moment (we've even had meetings at work discussing this issue). The smooth interface, speedy performance, system stability, and amazing battery life of iOS devices compared to Android are pretty sweet, as well. Hackery through jailbreaking iOS has always been the icing on the cake. Even with the loss of jailbreaking, iOS is still what most people (by far) would be happier with. Not everyone wants a shittier device just for the "freedom" to spend hours loading custom ROMs and searching Google all day on how to do or fix something.

MuscleNerd posted this on Twitter:

quote:

Will be pushing out a major redsn0w feature upgrade before my trip to Korea: http://is.gd/PMAdT1 (and look, no IPSW selection button!)

He mentions the lack of IPSW (it downloads only tiny bits of required data from Apple, as needed), but the big thing seems to be the "uploads to Cydia" functionality for local SHSH copies. I had been waiting for this for a long time. Cydia had been missing about half a dozen of my SHSH blobs.

I had the unfortunate accident of losing all my local 4.3.3 backups for all the iPad 2s that I manage. Querying Cydia resulted in getting just a 4.3.1 blob for one of the iPad 2s (which is useless). No other SHSH blob has made it to Cydia for my iPads. If something like this redsn0w had come out a month ago, I'd already have ALL my SHSH blobs uploaded to Cydia. I have a lot that Cydia doesn't have.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
There's some cursed encrypted chip that only allows signed code on boot.

A jailbreak is just cracking something to get root once the device has booted. It's a whole new thing to crack the boot process that goes deeper than simply rooting the device.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

McJogurt posted:

Probably answered a million times already: If I'm running iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4, is there any way I can just upgrade to 4.3.3?

If you have access to your 4.3.3 SHSH blob, then YES.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

McJogurt posted:

I've never upgraded past 4.1, so... no?

Load up Tiny Umbrella and query Cydia for SHSH. If it downloads 4.3.3, you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Older versions of Activator use to really annoy me with how it messed with the Home button (short presses were ignored). I bugged the hell out of the developer and gave a bunch of little donations (totaling only $20, but probably way more than most users gave him), and he finally made the changes I wanted.

• Locked thread