Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0 final is already out.

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/121316307458195456

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5

quote:

@MuscleNerd
redsn0w is.gd/6eek4Y can already tether JB 5.0GM (select beta7 IPSW for now though, til update) is.gd/SXCEi4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

EC posted:

Musclenerd is tweeting that whoever owned the domain jailbreakme.com has sold it, and it isn't in control of the iPhone dev team. So, I guess watch out for that? It could pretty easily be used for malware, but I seriously doubt people here would be fooled.

Something like that happened with the Shareaza.com domain. Someone trusted to control it ended up selling it and bailed, leaving the developers without a site. Now it's a lovely/misleading site from some company that pushes P2P poo poo apps that are all clones of each other (shareaza.com downloads the same poo poo app as bearshare.com, etc). (http://shareaza.sourceforge.net/ is the real Shareaza).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any ideas on which app is used for iCloud backups, with respect to 3G Unrestrictor? I'm not too keen on it blasting 4GB of pictures/videos over 3G and would rather it wait til I'm actually on wifi.

My guess is Settings app?

Wouldn't you have to manually enable/force 3G anyway for it? I don't know if 3G Unrestrictor defaults to "fool everything". I had to manually specify what works over 3G (which was usually *just* the App Store).

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mewse posted:

I have an old bootroom 3GS and I've got IOS5 running on my phone but in the process of upgrading I wiped out the backup that was taken before I started. iTunes decided that a 2 meg backup of the iOS5 install was good enough to delete the earlier backup from this morning.

I am literally going to have to restore to 4.3.3 and a backup from 3 months ago, save all my apps with datadeposit, and *then* go back to iOS5.

Don't be me, goons, don't be me.

You can rename your backups and keep several on hand. I have backups for 4.2.1, 4.3.5, 5.0, etc.
When you tell iTunes to restore from backup, if gives you a drop-down list with all available backups - even with a timestamp on each one so you can pick based on that.

I recommend having multiple backups before upgrading. I have a friend that lost all his poo poo upgrading to 5.0 from 4.3.5. He only had one backup, and iTunes overwrote his one backup with empty 5.0 crap.

Google for the location. Something like %AppData%\Apple\Mobile\Backups or ~/Library/Apple/Mobile/Backups

Rename the long string of characters to force iTunes to make an additional backup.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Siri would need to be extracted (by you) from the IPSW from Apple.com, or extracted (by you) from an existing 4S.
Once extracted, you would have to run a program to patch and load it on an iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS.
That gets around the piracy issue.

Just hosting a pre-patched Siri on some Cydia repo is the big no-no.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Those looking for a way to tether without Jailbreaking, another app snuck in SOCKS tethering as an easter egg:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id336009164

It's been up for 3 days now without Apple pulling it. Join your devices together on the same network and use the iPhone on port 8888 for the SOCKS proxy.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Everything I've read is that it works like poo poo and is a waste of money.

$0.99 for a functional SOCKS proxy to allow a non-jailbroken phone to share its connection seems like a bargain to me. How is that a waste?

I've tested this on my iPhone 4S already, and it seemed to work fine.

It's a SOCKS proxy. It works as expected, not "like poo poo".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I don't mean that the features it offers is poo poo, I mean that all the reviews I read said that it didn't work as advertised and only in very specific limited situations. Such as you had to have a Mac. Was just throwing out a dissenting opinion so people did some more research before plunking down the $.99. Others felt cheated after paying for it.

I felt cheated because of how idiotic the instructions were. The instructions were poo poo, things misspelled all over, bad grammar, *incorrect* information, etc. Of course it didn't work for people.

I can post some simple instructions in a bit.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

It'd be super helpful if you could also layout in what situations it would be helpful for us non-networking geeks. Limitations/etc.

As a SOCKS proxy, it is for Web browsing. You're sharing your 3G connection with web-browsers only. Don't expect anything "Internet" related to work unless it is SOCKS compatible.

Instructions if you have the "PayUpSucker" app:

1) Create an ad-hoc network on your Computer.
2) Join your iPhone to the ad-hoc network.
3) Give your iPhone a static IP such as 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0.
4) Give your Computer a static IP such as 10.0.0.2/255.0.0.0.
5) Set your Computer to use SOCKS proxy on the iPhone (10.0.0.1, port 8888).
6) Launch PayUpSucker, tap "IOU", and write "Its my data" (exactly that, without quotes).

You should then be able to load your web browser. The app must remain open and running (it will keep the screen on). Backgrounding the app or turning off the screen will break the connection. You have to manually close and re-open the app (and repeat step 6) to get the SOCKS proxy running again.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mewse posted:

has anyone successfully upgraded their old bootrom 3GS to ios5 and retained all their data from their ios4 backup? is there any trick to it?

when i did it i lost everything more recent than a 3 month old backup and i'm hesitant to try it again, esp since i keep hearing other people seeing the same thing.

You can make multiple backups locally. Before upgrading, try to have 2 backups from right then, before your phone is wiped.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I was actually saddened when I got my iPad 2 and holding the Home button did nothing. I've been use to the Voice control since 2009, and found VoiceActivator to be quite fun.

My 3GS and I were having HAL9000 conversations a long time ago. :3:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

The Aphasian posted:

Get SemiTether. If you have to reboot you won't be able to use jailbreak apps that rely on MobileSubstrate, but your phone will still work Vanilla like.

I think you have to add http://thebigboss.org/semitether/ to get it still.

Just a note that Safari and Mail will not function if you do have to reboot. A work-around for Safari is that other browser still work (but no mail alternative).

But this is still WAY better than the old situation where nothing worked if you rebooted.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

IllegallySober posted:

What's the best tool to jailbreak an iPhone 3G on 4.2.1? I tried the latest redsn0w which says it doesn't support it, and greenpoison never recognizes the phone in DFU mode and just keeps telling me to try again.

I'd build a custom IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Richman777 posted:

Get back and redsn0w just flat out won't work. It crashes on Fetching files. WTF good is a tethered jailbreak if you have to be connected to the internet. I'm pretty sure that it's my works proxy blocking it but holy crap this is annoying. There's no reason for me to need internet to untether.

What device is this for? 4? 3GS?

Try and grab an older version of redsn0w to boot tethered.

I may be completely wrong about this, but I swear I read something about a change with how redsn0w works:

- Older versions required a local copy of the IPSW or something (a 600+ Meg download that you had to locate on your own), and it would tap that file every time you used the program.

- Newer versions of redsn0w no longer need that huge download, and instead only grab the tiny pieces its needs each time you run the program and have it do something. That's great if you don't want to mess with the huge download, but bad if you're not online.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fizzle posted:

If you upgrade to a new OS without saving SHSH blobs, you're never going to be able to go back.

Some of us can still install iOS 4.1. :smug:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

quote:

@pod2g
Hey jailbreaking friends, I've found a bug that can untether iOS 5. Don't expect a release soon, but I'm gonna work hard in it.
6 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

Sounds good...

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
It won't be public any time soon, but it was discovered today that "Siri works great on the iPhone 3GS".

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Since I have a 4S, it may not be an issue using Siri on my 3GS. They would just see my 4S connecting each time.

But, I'm pretty sure this will eventually show up on that piracy repo. Just like apps/games posted on torrent sites come with a dozen CD-Keys, there may be a dozen IMEI strings or whatever included in the pirated Siri files, with instructions on how to use it (keep trying different IMEI strings until it works!).
Apple will of course start to ban the IMEI strings, which will both piss off legit 4S owners they belong to, and get the pirates out trying to look for more.

In other words, if you don't have a 4S, I wouldn't look forward to having Siri.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Na'at posted:

Has anyone yet tried the EasyRa1n untethered JB for iOS 5? I've never heard of it before so I'm not sure how much I trust it to not gently caress my phone.

That sounds really fake. Why would you even consider it?

Seriously, there are teams of people dedicated to this stuff. If they aren't talking about it, it isn't real.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iOS 5 still does SHSH. It's just they're worhtless at the moment, which is unfortunate.

I would still want them backed up, in case some new break-through happens that allows downgrading again.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
5.0 GM (which is saved by TU) is the same as the 5.0 Release, according to the TU author.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
No idea how legit this is.

A member of the Dev Team just posted this:

quote:

@chronic
have not personally tried but may be useful to some • RT @xoicos: 4S Unlock, confirmed. pastebin.com/1jtNPKqs via @pastebin

https://twitter.com/#!/chronic/status/137244739597639681

quote:

Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
Turn on Airplane Mode
Take out AT&T SIM card
Insert T-Mobile SIM card
Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
Eject SIM card
Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
Insert SIM card
Unlocked!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
More "confirmations" on the Unlock (going from posts on jailbreakqa).

iPhone 3GS/4/4S, requires iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 (as those are the only versions of iOS that can self-activate). I'm guessing Apple may patch it out in 5.0.2 (or 5.0.3/5.1).

I have a possibly de-activated T-Mobile SIM card. I doubt it will work. Then again, I don't know what I'd do with an unlocked phone.
Would an unlocked GSM phone help me in Japan? Or do they have some moon-tech phone service there?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
For SHSH backups, it can be simplified like this:

- Back up you SHSH blobs. (every time a new version of iOS is released)
- Currently, for 5.x, SHSH blobs cannot be used. (a method to spoof/force install hasn't been developed like for 3.x and 4.x)
- For iOS 3.x and iOS 4.x, SHSH blobs allowed you to install older versions of iOS any time you wanted*, even if Apple no longer approves them.
- SHSH blobs are simply a "permission slip" that Apple provides your device, which gives iTunes permission to install iOS on it. They are unique to each device. (they only work on the device they are *originally* from)
- You do not need to be running a particular version of iOS to back up the SHSH blob for it. For example, you could have 4.0.2 on your iPhone 4, never have upgraded past that, but still have queried Apple and backed up your 4.1, 4.2.1, and 4.3.3 SHSH blobs. Backups come from Apple, not your device**.

Expanded info:

The SHSH blob is a combination of your device's unique ID, plus a unique ID provided by Apple. Think of something like PGP. There is a secure key exchange. iTunes accepts this "blob" of data to securely communicate with your device and install software on it.
A "replay attack" is/was used for iOS 3.x and 4.x to force-feed this saved information into iTunes, which makes it think Apple is giving the OK to make the secure connection to your device and install software. That method does not currently work on the basebands for the A5 devices or with iOS 5.x on any device.

* For 3G iPad 2s, nothing is in place to allow an IPSW install with a non-Apple-signed baseband. Basically, when 5.0 was released, I think you could only install 4.3.x if the baseband part of the upgrade had not changed. The WiFi-only iPad 2 can freely move back and forth between 4.3.x and the current iOS (if you have your SHSH blobs backed up).
With iPhone 4S, there isn't anything possible to allow any IPSW installs at all (even if the baseband is still being signed).

** iFaith lets you rip a partial SHSH blob from your device of the currently-installed firmware, even if Apple is no longer signing that version of iOS.

Even though SHSH blobs from 5.x can't be used yet, this could change. So I would still back them up. Even though 3G iPad2s and 4S phones can't be downgraded at the moment, I would still back up your SHSH blobs.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't know if this means anything, but posted yesterday:

quote:

MuscleNerd
iPhone4S baseband bootrom now dumped :)

And from the 27th:

quote:

MuscleNerd
Crazy Thanksgiving weekend! Very promising 4S unlock (twitpic.com/7kku4t) is in the works (Not i4, just 4S..that's crazy part)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bazaar apparatus posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up at any point, but my old iPhone 3G (iOS version 4.2.1) likes to do this thing where it will randomly start running the iPod process in the background (which I can see in SBSettings) no matter how many times I end the process manually. This happens even if no applications are open and the phone has just been sitting there with only Phone and Mail running in the background as they always do.

Rebooting has made no difference and it's not worth restoring the phone over, so I guess my question is: is there an app on Cydia that I could use to prevent unwanted processes from starting themselves?

I don't know of a fix, but I do know that is a pretty standard thing. I'd see iPod running every now and then on my 3GS. It *shouldn't* take up that much RAM.

You may be able to rename the app itself, which may stop it from auto-running, but still allow you to run it manually.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Since apparently the 4S jailbreak is almost here, has anyone had to transfer purchases from one device to another before with Cydia?

I've spent at least a hundred bucks on apps on Cydia on my 3GS. From what I remember, most stuff purchased through Cydia just requires you to log into an account, and it downloads the apps then (no DRM).
I remember maybe some apps like BiteSMS and iBlacklist having their own separate licensing system.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
When someone shoehorns the 6.15 baseband from an iPad into a 3GS, it breaks poo poo. Permanently.
I think I read somewhere (maybe the redsn0w site) that current 3GS iPhone bought new (since the release of iOS 5) have a new chipset that prevents people from flashing that terrible baseband.

If you get an iPhone 3GS used and it has the 6.15 baseband (or "Modem Firmware"), I'd demand a refund.

From the Dev Team:

quote:

Owners of newer 3GS iPhones must not flash the iPad baseband. The iPad baseband will not work on 3GS iPhones built later than 2011 week 35. You have a week 35 or later device if your serial # starts with xx135.

So Apple is trying to get people to stop loving up their phones.
There are options for getting an unlocked phone other than breaking a 3GS.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Dev team says to go and update to 5.0.1. (A4 and A5), but not to 5.0.2/5.1 if/when it lands.
They may release an untether for 5.0. Maybe.

If you have 5.0 installed, you need to do a backup & restore to 5.0.1, then jailbreak.

I guess 5.0.x-compatible updates to Jailbreak apps will finally start pouring in.

Current app-compatibility list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CMmC_5gE&key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE
(please add to and improve, please do not deface/destroy)

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 27, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cythrelo posted:

Anyone care to run one for goons? :ohdear:

That's the part that will get your phone banned. I hope no one volunteers for this.

Edit: I know this is different than other methods. The 6,000,000 requests will be coming from the actual 4S, and not other devices spoofing the 4S. But still, Apple may not think a real 4S should be making that many impossible requests per second, and could still ban it.

If you're proxy-whoring out your 4S to share with others, I'd keep it to really small groups.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 27, 2011

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

tortan posted:

Nevermind, I got this working. For anyone else with the same issue, you need to go to "Extras" and do "Select IPSW" then select the 5.0.1 IPSW file from iTunes and then proceed to jailbreak normally.

I was going to post this. I just helped a co-worker with their iPhone 4 (8 Gig) Verizon/CDMA phone, and was puzzled that it couldn't continue.

redsn0w will sit at "waiting for device to restart" because it can't identify the phone or something (I figured since it was a new "8 GB" model). Downloading the ~830 Meg IPSW and pointing redsn0w to it tells it which device you have.

Telling my co-worker to download almost a Gig of files to every computer he may use just in case he needed to boot tethered probably didn't make the experience seem to trouble-free for him. Fortunately, the untether just came out (he brought me his phone last week), and we got "Corona" installed on it already.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for forever. But, I have the 4s, so it isn't jailbroken.

Buuut, I just got an iPad 1, so this new jailbreak is tempting. But, I'm wondering, is it really worth it? The iPad 1 isn't quite as snappy as an iPhone 4s or iPad 2, so I'm really worried about performance issues because it already isn't super fast. And thinking about it, I'm thinking the only two jailbroken apps I would make use of is LockInfo and the app that makes iPhone only apps look a little better on the iPad.

Somebody talk me into it.

Like others have said, just doing a jailbreak won't slow things down.

In fact, when you jailbreak, there are two things I recommend for 256 Meg devices (such as the iPad 1 or 3GS):

* "SBSettings" with free memory shown next to the clock (so you know how much RAM is available before you try to launch something).
* "KillBackground" - you're a one-button-press away from closing everything in the Task Switcher. It closes all suspended apps, and removes all recently-used apps. A quick way to free up RAM.

Both work great in iOS 5.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I jailbroke my 3GS. Things seemed to work fine, until I rebooted.

Reboot 1: Safari failed to load. Cydia failed to load. All other jailbreak apps (BytaFont, SBSettings, etc) failed to load. MobileSubstrate was not loaded. It was like I was no longer jailbroken.

Reboot 2: Things worked fine, again.

I used redsn0w_win_0.9.10b2.

Any idea why things would work/stop/work like that?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Arrowsmith posted:

I heard that pre-4S Siri has been disabled. Is that server-side, or can Jailbreak get around that?

It's all server-side.

They have super computers crunching numbers so that people only have to wait a second to get replies to their rape and pants pooping questions.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Well, I really enjoy Siri on my 4S.
I've certainly used it way more than I did on my 3GS. :smug:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

randyest posted:

Is there a purpose to installous other than piracy? I'm genuinely curious.

The repo (hackulo.us) is mostly for piracy, but it does have possibly legitimate tools on it, such as AppSync. That can be used to get iTunes to sync non-Apple or "not correctly made" apps to your device. I've used AppSync in the past to push my own apps (that I built with Xcode) to my iPhone. (AppSync may not be needed, or may be available from other sources. I used it because the development guide I was following recommended it as being the easiest way to get your own software loaded on your iOS device.)

But as far as I know, Installous is 99.99% for :filez:
Its only function and purpose is for installing cracked/copied apps from the Apple's App Store. I know on Jailbreak QA, any question regarding Installous will be immediately closed for being piracy-related.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

keykey posted:

Installed and jailbroke ios 5.0.1 on my iphone 3gs yesterday and my god is it slow! At any given point the best available memory I can get out of it is roughly 50-60 MB with all the ios 5 background tasks running. In comparison ios 4.2.1 which is what I was previously running left me with around 155MB available memory for running other programs which worked out awesome. Time to see what I can do to trim that initial 100MB of background tasks down to make it run smoother.

Install KillBackground and close stuff more often. If you keep > 50 Megs free at all times, you shouldn't have any performance issues.

iOS 5.0.x isn't that much more demanding than iOS 4.3.x was.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

EDIT: Ehh I'm speaking purely from a phone standpoint. There might be more reason to jailbreak on an iPad.

In the ~30 months of being an iOS user, I've never once had any pirated app on any of my devices.
I've gladly purchased many apps off Cydia, and even donated (multiple times) to developers that didn't charge for their apps.

"don't pay for apps" isn't even something I'd consider. Why I do like are the fun things I can do with my phone when I do jailbreak.
MyWi - A WiFi hotspot for when I travel. I'd lose my unlimited plan if I did this through AT&T.
Barrel - Awesome screen transitions.
BytaFont - Change the OS fonts (I'm quite fond of the "Ubuntu" font).
CleanStatus - Get rid of that "AT&T" logo.
SBSettings - Quick access to Brightness, WiFi toggle, etc.
KillBackground - Quickly end apps so my 3GS never slows down.
3G Unrestrictor - So I can download apps 5 Mbps 3G instead of being forced to use public/open WiFi at 1 Mbps when I'm out somewhere.
DataDeposit - So I can back up and restore individual game saves.
iBlacklist - Call block! No more calls from telemarketers or people trying to get money my ex-wife owes them.
Phone/SMS GV Extensions - Route some or all of my calls and text messages through my Google Voice number.

Now, the lack of any of those wouldn't give me enough reason to switch to Android. I've gone a few months without those on my 4S, but they are very nice to have.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't snatched up the Barrel developer yet.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

tofes posted:

Wait, you can't download []any[] file larger than 20mb over the 3g connection? What happens if you want to download a podcast at work for your commute?

It says "gently caress you, connect to WiFi" ... which is perfect, especially if you have an "UNLIMITED" data plan and get 10+ Mbps downloads over AT&T 3G, and the only WiFi you have access to are crowded ~1 Mbps poo poo connections (guest WiFi at a coffee shop, cheap DSL, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

keykey posted:

I had SBSettings installed so I was killing processes all the time. Too much headache, I'm going back to 4.2.1 at this moment. Also I couldn't get a few cydia apps to work with 5.0.x since they haven't been updated yet so that was the final deciding factor. Also it didn't report battery usage correctly and I only got around 8-10 hours a day out of my phone, once I got to around 22% my phone would shut down.

Don't kill with SBSettings. There are too many steps involved that way: You have to bring up the program window, go to the Processes button, and then it only closes one thing at a time (and allows you to close things I don't recommend closing, like the Phone process). You could spend minutes pecking away at your screen, trying to close every little app.

With KillBackground, you just double-click Home and tap the skull and crossbones button. It literally takes just 1 second to have it close and remove everything displayed in the Task Switcher.

Regarding the battery, you may need to calibrate that some. Fully discharge & charge a few times. iOS 5.0 shouldn't be causing premature shutdowns.

If you want the best performance with the least resources used, go with iOS 4.1. I don't know if there are any 4.2.1 features you need (AirPlay?), but a lot of things are going to be requiring 4.3 anyway, so sticking with 4.2.1 is going to bring up compatibility issues eventually.

• Locked thread