Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to make your ipod touch like a storage device? I just want to drag and drop apps/music/pictures onto it but you have to "sync" with that computer in order to do so, but not all my computers have everything, it stinks.

I'd like to know this, too. I use Comiczeal to read magazines/pdfs and in iTunes, instead of showing every PDF I have on my iPad, it shows one gargantuan file. If I want to delete a single PDF, I can't; I have to delete them all.

When I put MAME ROMs on my iPad I had some FTP program that did exactly what you want (except having to use FTP instead of mass storage) but it did the trick. Only problem is I cannot remember the name of that program.

Also, what's the latest jailbreakable iOS version for the iPod Touch 4? I want to update to it, then jailbreak again. The Awful app is telling me my iOS version is too old to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just got an iON iCADE Mobile mostly for SNES emulators on my iPhone.

1) Is there any way to overclock the phone a bit? I did some research and it there's some Winterboard theme that claims to do it but I see no FPS difference in the SNES games.

2) I remember there being some jailbreak app that simulates you touching the screen while using a bluetooth remote. This means I can use this iCade thing even for games that ONLY have touchscreen controls as an option (like Secret of Mana). Problem is, I can't remember the name of this app.

Any help would be appreciated because Google is failing me!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you!

Edit: I REALLY doubt this but there's no way to get the on-screen controls to go away, right?
I know it's probably a ridiculous question but figured maybe it's considered some sort of "graphical layer" that can be told to be turned off or something.

Only one of the 3 SNES emulators seem to support even getting rid of the on-screen controls :(

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 2, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for recommended Blutrol guys but I am having such weird issues with it. Some games it works fine with (Sonic CD) and some games it's like almost nothing is being registered at all (Secret of Mana). I tried every single screen position possible, along with different options in the program and can't seem to get it to work on certain games. Googlin' "blutrol Secret of Mana" isn't showing much in terms of other people with issues. Can anyone verify it working with Secret of Mana for you?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for this lame-o question but is jailbreaking the iPhone 5 pretty much going to be "impossible" in the same way that I've been hearing the AppleTV 3 jailbreak is pretty much "impossible"?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the 5 (and iOS6) really stepped up the game when it comes to closing up security holes. What little they've managed to pull off (I think there's an unreleased tethered JB for the 5) require an Apple Developer account on the device so it's useless for most people.

Thanks. I really want an iPhone 5 but there's a few things I absolutely need that comes with jailbreaking. That kinda sucks, but I don't blame Apple or anything. I had an HTC Thunderbolt and it was a piece of crap; I really don't want to not get an iPhone 5. Oh well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just got an iPad Pro 12.9", luckily it came with 9.3.2. I kept it on that version and jailbroke. I used Pangu but I am kind of confused by the guide. What exactly do I have to do if I reboot the iPad? Just click on the Pangu app again? Or do I need to connect it to a PC every time it reboots or powers down?

Also there is something else I was wondering. I have a ton of PDFs I am going to read on this thing. I am pretty stupid with Apple stuff. Since it is jailbroken, can I dump a bunch of the PDFs onto the iPad and open the PDFs with different programs? I kinda hate that if say, I use Comic Zeal, all my PDFs are "tied" to that one PDF viewer and if I uninstall it all my PDFs get deleted :psyduck:

Is there a way to just "store" these PDFs on the iPad and open them up in whatever PDF-viewer I feel like? If so, where exactly would put them on the iPad?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

1. You reboot your iPad. You are not JB.
2. Open Pangu app.
3. Click the button.
4. Press the power button to lock your iPad.
5. Get notification a few seconds later.
6. Swipe notification and you should be JB.

Oh wow, that's great! I barely consider that tethered. If I can do it from the iPad itself without an internet connection I drat near consider that untethered. :)

Thanks!

~Coxy posted:

Better off asking this in the main thread, probably.

You can put them on your iCloud Drive but obviously that only has 5GB space (for free) and syncs to every device (which you probably don't want.)
Apart from that I think they just have to be silo'ed into an app.

I am thinking there's no way without a jailbreak (since I am saving it to the iPad and not an "app") but I will see if I can figure something out.

It is still very jarring to me that someone can email me an attachment and I can't "save" it to an iOS device. Maybe I am just getting old.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

eddiewalker posted:

Just pay a few bucks for Goodreader. It's the closest thing to a file manager within the iOS paradigm.

You can open and save attachments to it, read PDFs and other docs with plenty of view options, annotate, and connect to FTP, network shares or other apps.

OK I just bought it, thanks! Unfortunately it does not seem to have CBR support, though. (I used to hoard old video game magazines and they take up so much space so I got rid of them and my plan was to use the iPad Pro for all of that instead; unfortunately they are all in CBR format and not PDF).

I will keep messing with this though. Thank you again!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

There's software to convert CBR files to PDF.

Or if you have Adobe Acrobat and a lot of free time... CBR is just an RAR file. You can rename it with the RAR file extension on your computer, unarchive it, and you'll see (most likely) a collection of JPEGs. You can create a PDF from the JPEGs and just import that.

Actually I did not know there was CBR to PDF software. If it does not diminish image quality at all, I think I will give that a shot. Thanks for the info!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zigmidge posted:

It's too bad I'm late to save you from ios thread bandwagons. The correct answer was iFile.

Would this allow me to save files to a "folder" on the iPad, and then open them in whatever program I want?

Also good news is there is now a jailbreak method for when Pangu expires next year: https://jbme.qwertyoruiop.com/

I believe there's a way to save it locally on your iPhone or iPad but I'm not sure how. Anyway, great news for those of us wondering what we were going to do when Pangu expired.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the iFile recommendation. It was exactly what I was looking for!

ibntumart posted:

iFile allows you navigate your iPhone and create new folders, as well as give you some options on how to open a selected file.

edit: Honestly, I consider it one of the reasons to keep jailbreaking... iFile should just be standard with even non-jailbroken iDevices in my opinion.

Does this just require you to visit the page with your iPhone or iPad, and then click for it to install? And can you use it now or do you have to wait till the current certificate expires?

To test it out, I rebooted my iPad Pro and instead of running the Pangu app, I loaded the webpage (without even having a wifi connection because I saved it to my home screen) and it worked!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ibntumart posted:

Well, now I'm wondering if I should use this now instead of hoping it's around and usable in a few months. Have you tried re-rebooting and re-running to make sure it's just as easy to re-jailbreak as before?

I am using it now instead of Pangu after rebooting or killing my battery. It works great! Does take 3 or so tries but it works.

Don't forget to add it to your home screen so that it will be cached onto your iDevice in case you ever need to reboot and you aren't near wifi or the site goes down.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ahh sucks I missed out on the 10.1 blobs! I was gonna it tonight!! :negative:

However, maybe this is good news:

https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/811606103272386560

If I am reading that right ANY 10.x can be jailbroken if on an iphone 6s or iPad Pro (me) ?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily this is an update:

https://twitter.com/tihmstar/status/811917809055887363

However I have no idea if I "did that shsh2 thing right".

It seems like shsh2 referrers to blobs but why would that be news since I thought saving blobs always meant you could go to 10.1.1 anyway?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am on an iPad Pro 12" jailbroken on 9.3.3.

Should I go to 10.2? What is so unstable about it? Sorry if that's a silly question. :kiddo:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the link. I followed that guide. That's pretty awesome that you don't even need the iDevice to even do it. Just a few days ago people on reddit were saying the only way to save blobs were if you had access to OSX. People were even talking about running OSX in VM to do it :wtc:

My blobs were 8.9kb.I am assuming that's OK for an iPad Pro 12" wifi-only model?

Thanks so much. This might be the first time I ever got in on this blobs thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I updated to 10.2 because I know someday soon apps will require it.

So far it seems to work just fine. The jailbreak was easy, and after rebooting, you just need to run an app once, click OK, and you should be jailbroken again. No different than the 9.3 jailbreak from what I can see.

Has anyone on 10.2 been able to install Kodi though? When I install it from Cydia, it doesn't work (app just opens and closes). Then I searched and did some weird thing where I download a .deb file but it says it installed in iFile but no Kodi app shows up anywhere, even after a reboot?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Thanks for the heads up

Jailbreaks also stop the constant iOS update reminders right? Isn't that part of the JB

No, you need to install Mikoto for that.

https://cydia.angelxwind.net/?page/net.angelxwind.mikoto

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So how do I install Kodi on iOS 10? Why doesn't Kodi's website have .app files any longer? It wants me to do some signing exploit instead of giving a .app option for jailbreakers.

Honestly I am actually amazed Kodi wouldn't be compatible with iOS10 but it is with iOS9. I figured incompatibility was reserved more for system hack type stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have been using yalu102 for quite while with no issues, then all of a sudden the other day I tried to use it and none of my jailbroken apps would open. When I went to open yalu102 and it said it is no longer available. I am on 10.2

I re-did the whole yalu thing and installed the newest version like 2 days ago and it worked but today I tried to launch a jailbroken app (iFile) and it immediately closed and sure enough I clicked yalu102 and it says it is not available?

What is happening? I thought it was supposed to "last" anywhere from a week to a year? Or is that unrelated to what is happening?

And I read guides on how to re-jailbreak after rebooting but they all say all I need to do is run the yalu102 app but it does not work for me.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 9, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Poala Bear posted:

At the beginning, you're on 10.2. Use Cydia Impactor to install Yalu102 on your phone. Open the app, press GO, phone "resprings" and you're in a jailbroken state. If your phone reboots or powers off and turns back, it will be "stock" again (not jailbroken, and jailbreak based tweaks and apps will not work).

As long as your phone does not reboot, or loses all battery and shuts off, it will remain in a jailbroken state forever. One thing I've personally noticed is that sometimes my phone reboots overnight on its own accord. Nothing I can do about it. That might have happened to you, which is why you suddenly are no longer jailbroken!

Now, using Cydia Impactor will only allow Yalu102 be a "valid" app and work for one week. It will last a year only if you have a paid Apple Developer ID ($100/year). After a week, the app will no longer work and if you try to run it, it will open to a white screen then crash and you're back on your home screen. You will have to delete the app, and reinstall it again with Cydia Impactor.

That's what's happening to you right now. You've probably lost your jailbroken state after a week of having Yalu installed. Just reinstall it and run it and you'll be fine.

Firstly, thank you so much.
Secondly, I must be going nuts. I could have sworn the jailbreak worked for like a month before this happened. It definitely lasted more than a week, which is why I guess I was so confused the past couple days. I honestly can't say why it happened but I can promise you it lasted way longer than a week. Maybe it stays jailbroken after a week and I just so happened to have not rebooted it in all that time?

The Iron Rose posted:

Note that you can use the ex3ender app then it will automatically resign the Yalu app and it'll be valid forever. So it's essentially an untethered app now.

THANK YOU!! I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on /r/jailbreak. You all are the best :h:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

You want to use the one from julioverne's repo. It's without any flaws and super easy to set up. You download the IPA to your phone, select it in the app and enter your email and password for resigning. Does it all automatically from there. Cydia extender is, apparently, not quite as good.

The reason nobody mentions ex3ender on the reddit jailbreak sub is because it's also on the same repo as a tweak that lets you download paid tweaks without payment. This is also why I'm not linking the repo here, but it's trivial to find just by searching julioverne's repo online.

FYI : the way resigning works is that you can only sign a custom app for a week with a free apple developer account. At the end of the week the application becomes unsigned, which means you can't launch it anymore. In order to resign you have to connect your phone to a computer and use impactor to put the signed app back on your phone.

However, once you use the Yalu app to enter a jailbroken state, your phone will stay that way until it's restarted. Which means if you don't turn off your phone for a month you'll stay jailbroken. The only issue is that when you reboot to a stock iOS state, if the Yalu app is no longer signed, you will need to resign it in order to enter a jailbroken state again. All the Yalu app does is put you in a jailbroken state and install cydia. You don't need it for anything once you're in a jailbroken state.

What julioverne's ex3ender does is automatically resign the app for you. You just need to set it up once and you never need to worry about it again. The ex3ender app will resign the Yalu app for you on its own without user intervention, so you'll never need to have a computer around if your phone restarts or loses power. This effectively turns the jailbreak into an untethered jailbreak, since you never need to have a computer around and can always relaunch the jailbreak from Yalu no matter how long it's been.

I downloaded extender using the proper repo but I keep getting error provision cpp 81: Unable to find a team with the given team ID. Apparently one other person on the entirety of the Internet has had this issue and he or she never figured it out.

Did I read your post right? I am supposed to download an IPA? I just installed extender from the repo in Cydia and that was it. Was I supposed to do something else, too? I click on the yalu102 app in extender but that's when I get that error.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

Not sure about that error specifically, but yeah put yalu102.ipa into var/mobile/documents/ex3ender/autosign

Then just go into settings and everything's really self explanatory.

It can't resign using an IPA it doesn't have.

Thanks, I tried that but it did not work.

For some reason I was able to fix it by getting a new team ID or something.

Now do I have to go into extender and do this every 6 days or does the app automatically open and do it for me?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

If you've enabled auto sign in the settings and put in your Apple ID and password, yes.

I did not have that set. Thank you !

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I went to use my iPad Pro 12.9" (1st gen) and it is jailbroken on 10.2. I am using Ext3nder so it automatically resigns the yalu app or whatever. But the other day my battery died and I can't seem to get back to a jailbroken state?

I clicked the yalu102 app 20 times and nothing is happening. It closes immediately, just like all the other jailbroken apps.

Did I do something wrong that is preventing me from being able to re-jailbreak without connecting it to a computer?

Thanks in advance :shobon:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

Just delete and reinstall with impactor

OK thank you. But I should be able to lose power/reboot without having to connect to a PC, no?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

Ideally, but you might have fallen in a small window where ex3ender didn't catch maybe?

Still goes to show it's kinda funny how we so rarely turn our devices tweaks like ex3ender are practically placebo.

That's an exaggeration in truth, I should be fair. It's genuinely useful, until it's not.

Ah maybe that was it. Thank you for clearing it up for me!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

underage at the vape shop posted:

I got a new out of box ipad 5 yesterday. Havent updated ios yet. I remember back in like 2010, I used jailbreaking to get settings toggles on the swipe down menu, and some other things I can't remember. What do you get out of jailbreaking nowadays?

Kodi, youtube background playback, an actual file browser for me personally

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Handen posted:

Who's got two thumbs and is hoping he saved his blobs correctly to jump from semi-tethered 10.1.1 to 11.3.1?

<-------this guuuuyyyy

Is a jailbreak coming for 11.3.1?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK I have an iPad Pro 13". I should update to the newest ios asap??

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Newest iOS is 11.4, which has no jailbreak.

Upcoming jailbreak is for 11.3.1 or lower.

Oh drat.

Seems like 11.3.1 isn't being signed any longer so I'll be stuck on ios10 for quite a while longer I guess

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

The new jailbreak is great. Also, Sleipnizer (adds gestures to Safari like Firefox and Chrome mouse gestures) got an iOS 11 update recently so browsing with an iPad Pro 12.9" isn’t such a chore anymore.

I'm on an iOS 10 jailbreak. Does that mean I can "convert" to an untethered jailbreak on it yet?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Do you have blobs for 11.3.1 or below saved?

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong but can't I just save the blobs I am on now? Or are you only allowed to save them while Apple is signing that firmware?

If it's the latter I'm pretty sure I saved them (though I admit I don't remember where I saved them to). Is there some sort of permanent jailbreak if I did save them?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Right, Apple isn’t signing 11.3.1 or lower, anymore. Just 11.4 which can’t be jail broken.

If you have the blobs for 11.3.1 or lower, you can use a tool called FutureRestore to upgrade your jail broken phone directly to that OS version, even if Apple isn’t signing it.

Oh ok, thank you. That will give me an untethered jailbreak somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

Could if you have all the pieces right. Small correction though - the new jailbreaks are all semi-untethered. You load a jailbreak app onto your phone that expires every 7 days unless you have a paid developer account, and then the app expires after 365 days.

While the app is unexpired, you can use the app to jailbreak. If the app expires you need to load it again. If you reboot your phone in a jail broken state, it reverts to being unjailbroken until you run the app again. Hence the semi-untethered.

Ah OK. That's pretty much what I have now anyway. Thank you! 😊

• Locked thread