Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EDIT: wrong thread, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bonzaisushi posted:

drat, that is very nicely done. Just needs Bitesms and google voice support and it would be perfect.

I can't see how that wouldn't work with SMS GV Extension since the latter just uses the native SMS app.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mister ginger posted:

:filez: chat

Hi. You must be new here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FishBulb posted:

I'm really surprised they aren't working some kind of BiteSMS system into their new MEGAMESSAGING app. Apple is weird.

Even weirder considering it's already "there" with the twitter integration for fast tweets from certain apps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mister ginger posted:

Rebooted numerous times, still does it. Read about the same issue on the macrumors forum, someone suggested deleting all the apps off of my itunes and then re-installing them. Not sure if I should try that or not...

If Cydia apps still work, use DataDeposit to backup any app you really don't want to lose anything and reinstall to see if it fixes it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also, if there's any apps you REALLY care for, Use DataDeposit to back them up individually then restore them once you have the phone set up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For apps, use DataDeposit. For contacts, use Google Sync. For texts, there should be a link on the OP.

Backup as needed and factory reset.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Did you install the SMS GV Extension?

I don't think the iPad has a messages app so not sure this would do anything.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hunter x az posted:

What's the best way to easily back up all of my Cydia and other installed programs, when upgrading my FW to 4.3.3?

Pencil and a piece of paper for cydia apps, DataDeposit for everything else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does Browser Changer work with Maven?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I went ahead and gave WifiSMS a try tonight. Holy poo poo :monocle: This is awesome!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I honestly would switch to a Droid if I didn't have the phone and SMS Google Voice extensions.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I believe you got it. Settings are kept but the data itself is gone though I would remove as much manually as you can to avoid issues.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0 final is already out.

http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/121316307458195456

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/redsn0w-iOS5

loving fantastic. Guess I'll be doing this tonight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just jailbroke using the latest Redsn0w. Tethering and "working" from what I can tell. Both the Phone and Text Google Voice Extensions are working... as long as you had them previously installed and restored to a backup when updating to the 5.0 GM. This is because the apps don't show up under Settings yet so you can't change anything about them. But I just did a test call and text and both went through Google just fine. The text extension also re-directed incoming texts to the SMS app.

So loving yay! That's all I really need from a jailbreak so I'll hold off from everything else for now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know who Dunson is but god drat the Dunson avatars are absolutely hilarious.

On the jailbreak side of things: anyone else using the GV Extensions?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fortis posted:

Yeah, they work fine except for some reason if I set SMS GV to use push notifications from the official GV app they all show up as being from '0000'. It previously worked in iOS 4, so I don't know what's going on. I set it up to check a specific label in gmail and turned on Push and the names show up on incoming messages then.

Phone GV is totally fine as far as I can tell.

Oh I know they're working but the apps aren't showing me for under Settings so I can't change anything about them. I should try re-installing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well there I go being stupid. I'll work on that later today. Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks like that's the direction some JB apps are taking like SBSettings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gmail only pushes throgh Exchange. I've not had any issues with notifications on Facebook or anything else really.

I did have an issue today where a couple of apps I updated over the air would instantly crash when opening them. Had to wait till I got back to my PC to tether-boot for it to be fixed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

However, jailbreak app settings are backed up so you can upgrade, restore to a backup, trail break and install whatever app and it'll be setup exactly as it was.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cythrelo posted:

Has there been any word on getting Siri ported to the iPhone 4, now that people are getting their 4S's early? That's the feature that, aside from notification centre and the huge performance boost, I'm most excited about with iOS5.

It's been "ported" but there's some stuff specifically compiled for the 4s so they'll need to get a 4s and see how it actually works to see if it's portable

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One of the devs mentioned that by jailbreaking it kinda automatically kills over the air updating. I remember reading here a week ago I think

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

quote:

quote:
MuscleNerd: Anyone hoping for a "port" of Siri from iPhone4S: pending a very low-level A5 exploit, it likely can't be done without piracy

Not looking good but until they get their hands on a 4S we won't know for sure :ohdear:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't believe you can jailbreak the 4S yet? Because holy xrap that's awesome if you already can.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 14, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can't wait for a Siri-enabled SBSettings so you adjust the phone's settings using your voice. :swoon:

"Siri, adjust brightness to 50%"
"Siri? kill all apps"

I mean, Siri already offers to help you get rid of a body.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Revol posted:

YES! You’ll Be Able To Get Siri On iPhone 4!

The TUAW article says you can expect Siri on non-4S devices in weeks instead of months.

Between this and BBSettings today was pretty good. Holy poo poo BBSettings especially, this is so more slicker than SBSettings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BBSettings needs a minimized mode that you open because as it stands it's pretty awesome and useful but its a constant 1/3 of your notification window taken up. Add local weather and that's half of the phone's notification taken up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man that first video scared the shiy out of me seeing how sluggish the phone was. The second video looked MUCH better. Would have like to see him trying some dictation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I'm having some stability issues pop up an I'm trying to narrow down why. iPhone 4 on 5.0 jailbroken with Redsn0w. I have responsiveness issues with the keyboard in certain apps. Mail will sometimes simply lock up and not open at all unless I reboot. The only JB stuff I have are the GV Extensions, BBSettings, and DataDeposit.

Anyone else getting anything like this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I'm having some stability issues pop up an I'm trying to narrow down why. iPhone 4 on 5.0 jailbroken with Redsn0w. I have responsiveness issues with the keyboard in certain apps. Mail will sometimes simply lock up and not open at all unless I reboot. The only JB stuff I have are the GV Extensions, BBSettings, and DataDeposit.

Anyone else getting anything like this?

Well managed to trace what was locking up Mail (even after reboots). It was BBSettings of all thing. Uninstalling it seem to have sorted out all issues I was having. So it looks like the dev still have some bugs to iron out.

EDIT: Nevermind, poo poo's still hosed.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 18, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I doubt main updates will be stealthed but they could easily patch "security" risks OTA much like they have rushed .X.1 firmware updates that only address the exploit.

That said, I think one of the JB crew mentioned that JB disables OTA updates so maybe they already covered themselves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

I've got a jailbroken IP4 running 4.0. Whats the highest version iOS I can go to and also have an untethered unlock?

4.3.3 or 4.3.5 I think (assuming you have the SHSHs)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I'm not sure exactly what happened. I played it safe and restored from fresh, re-jailbroke, then restored apps with DataDeposit and now everything is working fine.

I imagine it was just too much junk in my backup. I was probably riding that since late '09 or so when I got a replacement 3G? I'd never restored from fresh since then

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ganguro King posted:

Wait a second, I thought that a phone with a tethered jailbreak won't boot at all until it's connected to a computer running the proper software. Am I wrong? Will it boot normally just with the jailbreak disabled?

If you're using a very few limited jailbreak apps that don't use mobilesubstrate I think or some key tool/component, the phone will boot fine but all the JB will be gone. However, if you have that (which most JB apps like SBSettings will require) you're SOL.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Correct. You can respring all you want.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought the team that got it working wasn't going to release it because it would be :filez:. Did that change?

Yes and no. You can enable the GUI for Siri already. Not entirely sure what you can do with it but hey it's there. To get the voice part of it working (aka the point of having Siri) you need to basically spoof Apple's servers into thinking you're using a 4S which they did by copying the 4S's chain or key or [insert explanation here] which is why they can't release it. You'd end up with tons of 4's pinging the server as the same device which I imagine would raise a big red flag.

Given the way Apple has set things up, I doubt you'll ever see Siri on anything but a 4S (and iPad 2 soon) unless Apple themselves open it to other devices once it leaves the beta stage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EC posted:

With the way that Apple seems to have architected the Siri servers, I'll be willing to put $20 on them shutting down any Siri requests from un-authorized devices as soon as it's released publicly.

That's how it's set up already. They're getting this to work on older devices by passing the siri files and spoofing the server to think its a 4S using an actual 4S's serial key or identifying data. Which is why a public release will simply not happen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

EC posted:

That's what I thought. Wouldn't Apple know if there's two devices hitting the servers with the same identifier?

Maybe. I imagine since its literally 1-2 devices doing it its not raising any flags. Also they're in the same area/wifi and I doubt they're using Siri simultaneously.

But a public release would suddenly have the same 4S pinging Siri from everywhere.

Honestly with AT&T bumping my upgrade to now I'm just waiting for my next paycheck to get a 4S and hope for at least a tethered jailbreak by the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows of a jailbreak app that'll allow you to restrict certain apps from calling home or accessing the data connection? Having to turn on Airplane Mode is annoying and can make me miss calls.

Can you be more specific? Only thing I can think of is a combination of disabling notifications for said app and maybe using backgrounder to set the app to never stay open?

• Locked thread