Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chinook posted:

But it's still a tethered jailbreak, right? We're still waiting on a complete Jailbreak for anything past 4.3.x, correct?

Tethered jailbreak isn't that much of a concern. Especially with things like semi-tether.

I mean, how often do you reboot your phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nope. Respring all you want

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 4S has been jailbroken already (by MuscleNerd) but its still a long way to go before a public release happens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hopefully that's tied to a jailbreak. I miss my GV Extensions oh so much :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

maduin posted:

, I would just buy a Verizon LTE mobile hotspot.

Not unlimited and loving expensive too. I'll be with unlimited till they kick me out for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jetsetlemming posted:

I've got 4.2.1, 4.3.5, and 5.0 saved. I don't know how to restore old versions, though.

You need to find/download the specific firmware you want (5.0 in this case), then have TinyUmbrella open to intercept the SHSH check from iTunes. In iTunes, shift-click the restore button and it'll let you pick/browse to whichever firmware you want

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

With the GV Exetensions you'll need to email the dev/support with your old phone IMEI(?) and the new device so he can transfer the license. I just plan to buy them again because gently caress if those apps haven't saved me hundreds of dollars by now but not having to get an unlimited texting plan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

89 posted:

I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for forever. But, I have the 4s, so it isn't jailbroken.

I'm loving dying for a 4S jailbreak. :smithicide:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

Native Google Voice integration is something I'll NEVER see on the iPhone so The GV Extensions are absolutely essential to me and the first loving thing I'll install when I can jailbreak this 4S.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh loving awesome. I'll be flying all day but I now have something to do when I get back home.

:qq: GV SMS/Phone Extensions I'll be home soon :qq:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vinlaen posted:

Here's how to jailbreak using the Windows CLI version: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19484

I restored (reformatted) my phone back to 5.0.1 and then did the jailbreak and I didn't get any errors or anything like that.

Just jailbroke my 4S using this and worked without any issue after I erased all content on the phone. Once the jailbreak was completed I restored to my iCloud backup.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tofes posted:

I jailbroke my iPhone on windows using the command line injector and it seemed to work fine, but whenever I try to install something in Cydia it tells me it can't find the package. I tried setting it to user, hacker, and developer but it didn't matter.

Cydia is getting hammered right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was going to try to contact the SMS/Phone GV Extension to do a transfer license but those apps have literally saved me so much money I just re-bought them.

Got SBSettings and Springflash and that's about it. I'm an absolute Siri whore so I don't even need to see my phone to text anymore.

Is the FakeClockUp app even worth trying on a 4S?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

toastR posted:

Yes, with iOS 5, SBSettings can now put toggles in your notification center.

Is there any tweak that will allow me to do keyword searches in Safari for quick access to Wikipedia, google images, etc? Something like this must exist, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

You can already search Wikipedia from Spotlight. You can also ask Siri "Search Wikipedia for..." and it'll do it for you. No jailbreak required.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UnbornApple posted:

So before multitasking all the jail breakers wanted apps to enable multitasking...and now that there's multitasking everyone wants to make it single tasking.

:psyduck:

I sometimes like cleaning up anything running before opening up GTA3 or IB2 or anything that's going to eat up all the memory. I usually respring the phone but this seems like a more elegant solution.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You people are insane. The phone itself already closes applications to free more memory when it becomes needed. You're swimming in a sea of placebos.

I also never unplug my phone when I'm home wanna fight about it? :colbert:

(on the 4 and older models it did help and you could tell loading times were faster and games themselves weren't as choppy after a respring)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Feenix posted:

Got siritoggle from ovihost repo. I can turn on/off wifi, but opening apps or changing brightness she just tells me sorry, can't.

Same here. Maybe the author doesn't have the latest version out?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hmm, I can do brightness, Bluetooth, and wifi but can't get it to open apps. I think you have to be specific in the phrasing. "Change brightness to X%" for brightness. "Enable/Disable X" for toggles. Can't figure out how to reboot the phone or do anything else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there no documentation on what keywords work? :confused:

Not that I've found. The app description when you search for the app appears to say what it can do but then you click on it and the actual app page has nothing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Only way I'd go back to Typophone (which is awesome :colbert: ) is when they figure out some form of Lock Screen Notifications integration.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Which is why DataDeposit is so awesome and everyone should have it as a top 3 reason to jailbreak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

toastR posted:

one side assigned to a tweak called LastApp which lets you switch quickly back and forth between your two last used apps. Feels very natural and well-suited for one-handed operation.

This is loving awesome. Like "holy poo poo how am I just trying this out now" awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 24, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't know why people always throw the start clean. Unless something's broken, why?

I went from a jailbroken 4 to a 4S which I finally jailbroke and since it was still the same iCloud backup all my jailbreak settings were there once I installed the apps. No need to put my info for the GV Extensions or sign up / link DataDeposit. Even my activator settings were there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Circles and the whole "choose who you share with" is all from Google+ but you can already do groups on the phone. At least through iCloud I set groups for family, coworkers, etc. No idea what you can actually do with them but it's neatly organized for me.

There IS a Google+ app where you can manage your circles but your Google Contacts and your Google+ appear to be separate things so it's not like you can use exchange to have everything show up on the phone.

(I haven't tried doing this in a whole so it may be possible Google sorted poo poo out for iOS but I doubt it)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wrong thread!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

Is there a jb app to schedule my wifi and Bluetooth to turn off and on on a schedule?

SBSchedule

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is anyone having issues with wifi? At home I'll have wifi connect/disconnect constantly. I've reset network settings, rebooted the phone & router. I'm trying to narrow it down but I'm not sure where to begin since I haven't changed anything network wise in forever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

randyest posted:

Unless I was dreaming someone posted an app that makes siri go away after you're done with her, returning to the previous app. My googling and thread searching is failing ... help?

I'd love something like this but cydia sucks for searching and google leads nowhere.

Oh man I decided to give IntelliScreenX a try because hey free trial and while as I expected find 90% of it to be useless (to me) their quick toggle / SBSettings bar is such a much elegant solution to SBSettings. Wish I could get just that because I'm not paying $10 for an SBSettings I can hide.

(I also like the colors/icons for aaaw man)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 6, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He means for Cydia apps and I have no idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So out of the tethering apps (MyWi/TetherMe/PDANet) is PDANet the only one that tries to hide the data usage? I find myself in a situation where I could really loving use internet for work on the rare moment to make my life easier. I actually own the first two but never used PDANet before so I'm trying to see if anyone has any experience with it (preferably in AT&T)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally gave FakeClockUp a try. :lol: the loading spinning icon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheChipmunk posted:

Is there any good way to export SMS/iMessage and all contacts to an excel file? (Jailbroken or not?)
I want to access the data on my computer.

You should be able to pull text/messages from a backup. Look for poo poo like backup extractor or whatever new one is out. Bonus of this is that it shouldn't need a jailbreak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

~Coxy posted:

If anyone did get into jailbreak dev I'd love a simple app that can send when a call or SMS comes in to a computer over wifi or bluetooth.

You can do this for texting already

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bazaar apparatus posted:

This. It's easily one of the coolest things on Cydia and might be worth jailbreaking for alone.

Really wish he would add a "backup everything" option.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are there really many other big features left to any potential iOS 6 other than stuff like this, though? Apple must surely pay attention to jailbreak development.

A more thorough integration of Siri with the OS and 3rd party applications is where some of the jailbreak developers are heading and I'm sure Apple will eventually follow.

One thing I'd like to see is the slow integration of active 3rd party apps into the UI. Like when you double tap home then swipe left for the music controls? I wouldn't mind that being replaced with the Pandora controls (thumbs up/down, skip) when I'm using that. I'd love to see Navigation apps overtake the lock screen when it's being used. Things like that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reason you couldn't hide it like an app is because Newsstand is treated as a folder, by the way.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Am I understanding it right that right now there is a tethered iOS 5.1 jailbreak for iPhone 4? I think I'll just wait for the untethered version.

Correct. Snowbreeze or however it's spelled can tethered jailbreak up to the 4 (untether for old-bootroom 3Gs)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So every now and then a SpeakEvent ad will show up at the to of the Siri window. It says "one time ad" but it shows up every now and then and it's kinda annoying. Anyone know where's it from and/or how to get rid of it?

Has anyone else even seen it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tethering talk: are the only options still just MyWi or TetherMe? I'm going to risk using one or two with my new iPad for some light safari browsing and maybe maps (aka only poo poo I can do on the iPhone as well) and hope AT&T doesn't throw a poo poo fit.

And as far as pairing goes, would it be better (battery wise) to go through wifi or Bluetooth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All right this is getting a little annoying. This stupid ad:

Refuses to disappear. I even installed SpeakEvents and it still shows up. I went ahead and uninstalled everything Siri related but every now and there it loving is.

Is anyone else getting this? Can I manually dig in and erase the gently caress out of it?

• Locked thread