Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Can you explain more? the op is not very helpful in this case. Also I installed OpenSSH just right now but it does not seem to do anything.
Edit: I am using windows if that means anything.

Get WinSCP, find out your iphones WiFI IP address, create a new SFTP connection in WinSCP with your iphones IP as the address, root as the username, and alpine as the password. And you have a regular filesystem you can explore (If you're not familiar with BSD or Linux it might be a bit confusing).

OpenSSH imo is the single most useful thing to install when you jailbreak, especially if you're good with the commandline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you gently caress up your springboard, usually OpenSSH will allow you to make changes and get stuff back to normal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

that is all great and all but I have an ipod touch not an iphone.
Edit: Also OpenSSH seems to be for mac only.

Errrrr, you understand that you install OpenSSH on your iPt not your computer right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cockwhore posted:

I also think you need to go to cydia-> manage->settings and select hacker for openssh to appear when you search for it.

I'm set to user and it shows up for me. Type it as all one word.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

getting conflicting messages between you two.

It's really not a hard thing to do. Honestly.

You don't even need "linux commands" as you said. WinSCP on your computer makes everything look like a directory tree.

If you've ever logged into a FTP site before, you can do the WinSCP/OpenSSH combo.

Here's a guide with pretty pictures and everything:
http://www.simonblog.com/2009/05/17/how-to-use-ssh-to-transfer-file-on-iphone/

BTW Make sure your screen isnt sleeping. I can't confirm but in the past it seems to stop OpenSSH from working.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nothing works. OpenSSH does not work with WinSp for me. Mobile Terminal does not work on my iPod. Is there any point in jail breaking for me now?
Edit: by not working I mean mobileTerminal crashes immediately upon opening.

Saying it doesn't work doesn't really help us, combined with the whole "use linux codes" snark from earlier and I'm just going to say no, don't bother with jailbreaking for just a theme.

:effort:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

It tries to reconnect forever. There is a 3 second countdown on the button "retry". I can click retry to make it reconnect faster or I can click OK to stop it. There is also a help button that does not seem to do anything.
Ok, gently caress this, just use this and be done with it.

http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You're not gonna believe this but I got it to work by following the instructions from the second part of this article here:

http://www.iphonetechie.com/2010/08/tutorial-on-how-to-download-and-install-mobile-terminal-4-26-for-ios-4-4-0-1-on-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-3-2-1/

and I got OpenSSH to work and WInSCP to work by making my iPod to never auto lock.

Happy for you. Now be careful.

And not to be I told you so but I'll quote myself from a few posts above

LamoTheKid posted:

BTW Make sure your screen isnt sleeping. I can't confirm but in the past it seems to stop OpenSSH from working.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

Example case: I receive a call. My screen lights up with the caller and at the bottom is an Answer & an Ignore button. The I tap the answer button. Nothing. Doesn't even visually respond that it's been tapped. I keep tapping. About 10 seconds later I can answer the call.

The only reason this hasn't been a bigger issue is I just don't make & receive a ton of phone calls.

But still, it's annoying the poo poo outta me.

Anyone else?

(iPhone 4, 4.3.3 Jailbroken.)

Any :spergin: themeing/lockscreen stuff installed?

I'm on 4.3.3 jailbroken and do not have this problem.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

It's definitely Jailbreak related, and not my plain phone.

I'll check if there are any theming remnants, but I don't think so. Like I said I started from scratch on this new Jailbreak. Didn't restore anything from previous backups. Possibly something in Winterboard I may wanna take a peek at.

Oh wait, you know what I DO have? SliderMod HD. I could remove that and check, I suppose. But you'd think you'd hear more bitching if that was the culprit.

[edit]

I think I have it figured out. It's not that the button is unresponsive. It's that you have to tap it high on the button. (for both Answer Call and for Hide Keypad)

I bet this is Activator Related. Activator has screwed up the bottom part of the screen before.

Still a nuisance but at least now I can answer my rarely received phone calls instantly by tapping in the right place.

Thanks.

I've got the latest version of Activator installed and my buttons are perfectly responsive. I also have a stock Lockinfo installed, no slidernmod. Worksforme.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

^^ restore to stock after backing up. They'll never know.

Feenix posted:

You mean other than plugging it in and having iTunes do it for you?

[edit] It looks like my call answering problem *might* be sliderMod HD. I can press much lower on the button when I have it "off" in Winterboard. But when I have it on I have to press higher on the Hide Keypad and Answer Call buttons.

I'm willing to bet winterboard is the culprit as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

Would this not be a far larger reported issue on the internet if it were, though?

I have never NOT had Winterboard on any Jailbroken phone all the way back to my 3G and I only noticed this issue once I added SliderMod HD.

From what I've read winterboard doesn't play very nice with 4.2.x and on. It's due for an update. Everyone's quick to blame Activator but since it was updated it's been smooth sailing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Home button is fine for me too. Always registers a double click but sometimes the multitasking bar is a bit sluggish. I'm on a refurb though because my launch day iPhone 4 got a mushy one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

blocke posted:

Hi Guys

I have been using a jailbroken 4.3.2 for some time and thought I'd update to 4.3.3 but from a fresh restore

So i pressed restore in itunes and it downloaded the new firmware and it failed to install (it just stuck at 55% on the progress bar)

I tried downloading the actual firwmare and trying it via shift+restore (even in dfu mode thanks to iREB)and it still freezes at 55%

I then tried sn0wbreeze to make a custom firmware and restore it.. it stalls at 95%!

What's going on and how can I get my phone back again?

Do you have WiFi sync installed?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

blocke posted:

I did, now i removed it

Now when trying to update via itunes with a sn0wbreeze firmware(dfu) or a normal firmware i get a 1611 error

Try a different USB port and/or cable? Are you updated to the newest version of itunes? Are you 100% sure you get the phone to DFU mode (completely blank screen)? Do you have a line in your hosts file for TinyUmbrella (gs.apple.com redirecting to 127.0.0.1)?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/06/02/ipad-2-jailbreak-tease/

Good on him for jailbreaking it. gently caress him for being such a cocktease about it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'll miss SBSettings but yeah, I'm pretty much done since I don't use themes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Didn't BiteSMS gently caress with Facebook a while back? Or vice versa? Not a big deal considering how bad the FB app is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

What's the significance of what comex has up at jailbreakme.com?

We thinking it's an A5 jb exploit??

It's userland based, not bootloader or chip specific. Details are still pretty sparse as comex is just releasing teasers but if it's cross device then it might work on the ipad2.

That's all I've read from twitter/websites.

Edit: just to be safe make sure you save your SHSH blobs.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 12, 2011

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

flyboi posted:

I loaded up tinyumbrella and tried requesting my shsh from cydia. I ended up with iPhone4CDMA 4.2.6 and 4.2.8 shsh files in ~/.shsh. Is it safe to assume then I was able to recover these from cydia and should be good to go in regards to legacy shsh blobs?

You should be ok. Personally I back up my .shsh folder to dropbox, just to be safe.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

TBH, the iPad baseband unlock on a 3G is fine, and it's the only model I'd recommend it on. It doesn't even get iOS updates anymore, so it's basically a permanent unlock, and not a bad travel phone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok, trying to get rid of my Jailbreak and selling my iPad 1.

I tried last night to restore to 4.3.3 stock, iTunes throws error 37.

Tried on my work machine, iTunes throws error 37.

Now, I had no problems with iTunes pre 10.3.1, but since I upgraded I'm having nothing but problems. I tried DFU mode, there's nothing in my hosts that's modifying gs.apple.com.

Can I get 10.2.x for iTunes anywhere? I've tried kicking it out of recovery mode, no luck.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

m0isty posted:

Try disabling any antivirus/spyware software?

Did it, still throws the error. Guy was super nice at the Apple Store in SOHO. They were backed up and I explained the situations. Since it took them about 40 mins after my time to get to me he said "Hey, it's your lucky day, we're just playing catchup and you get a new unit. BTW, our internal DB mentioned something about Jailbreaking causing error 37, have you jailbroken?" I said yes and he said thanks for your honesty, im going to get you your new unit from the back. Took about 10 mins and I walked out with a fresh one.

Obviously its a refurb but goddamn if Apple doesn't have awesome customer service.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Diabolik900 posted:

Because it's easier? Why would you use redsn0w or pwnagetool when you have Jailbreakme as an option?

Redsn0w and pwnagetool are better tested, and don't have oddities like BiteSMS not working.

I understand using jbme for an iPad2 where there's no existing jailbreak but it's not like redsn0w is very hard to use.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Crunchtime posted:

Has anyone been having issues with installous? It was working for me last nite, but today API errors.

We don't help with :filez: here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

randyest posted:

A DFU mode restore or, worst case, tinyumbrella can kick a device out of a boot loop. You cannot brick an idevice via software only.

You can actually. I don't know how the gently caress it happened but recently I got stuck in some kind of bootloop when I restored my ipad 1 to stock to sell to a friend. The apple rep politely replaced it and hinted he had the problem too when he jailbroke his iPad.

It's anecdotal, and rare, but they're not completely invincible. (and no, I didnt have an entry in my hosts file)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

law abiding rapist posted:

Did you try a DFU-mode restore? I don't think there's anything you can do in software that would prevent that from working.

I was actually stuck in a DFU loop. It was incredibly annoying. Apple replaced it so it wasn't a big deal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

mister ginger posted:

He does mention blobs but at no point during the tutorial does he bring them into play.

Unless something has changed, you're still pointing it to Sauriks server, which is where cached BLOBS would be stored.

If your SHSH isn't stored on Saurik's server, you're still SOL. Unless, somehow, magically, Saurik added a feature that enables him to sign older software.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

trilljester posted:

Can you guys do a sanity check on my procedure for downgrading my old iPhone 3G to 3.1.3:

1. Load TinyUmbrella making sure to uncheck the Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit option
2. Launch iTunes and Restore 3.1.3
3. Load Spirit and jailbreak.

How does that look?

You don't have to gently caress around with TinyUmbrella at all with a 3G.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/07/how-to-downgrade-iphone-3g-from-ios-4-to-iphone-os-3-1-3.html

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EC posted:

I have an original, old-bootrom 3GS with all SHSH blobs saved all the way back to 3.1. The phone is currently on 4.3.3, and jailbroken using jailbreakme.com. It's never been unlocked before, and I'm pretty sure it has the most recent baseband. According to this article, it's technically possible to unlock my phone, but I've heard bad things in this thread about installing an iPad baseband.

I'm guessing that there's no other way to unlock the phone, even via downgrading. Correct? I'd really like to have cell service while I'm overseas in October, but it doesn't sound like it's gonna happen.

You can buy an old quad band unlocked RAZR on ebay for ~50$ if all you want is a phone while you travel.

The only phone the iPad hack should be installed on (IMO) is the 3G, since its end of life.

I assume you mean you don't want to roam? Because you'll more than likely get reception.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

My family is going to Switzerland for 2 weeks. I was content to just turn my phone off (Data and voice). But my Sister just told me that Apple now can unlock your iPhone.

I've got it Jailbroken and don't want to muck with that 2 days before I leave.

here's my question:

As a jailbroken dude on umm... 4.3.3 who has never unlocked... can I unlock now?

And bonus question, which may be better for another thread: Can I get a prepaid MICROSIM in Switzerland?

If you have one of the following basebands, ultrasn0w will unlock you:

01.59.00 | 04.26.08 | 05.11.07 | 05.12.01 | 05.13.04 | 06.15.00

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

She may be. But it's irrelevant because I wouldn't ever go to do that. It was just what prompted me to wonder if I could do it myself.

I have baseband 04.10.01

I found a youtube detailing some exploit, but it sounds unreliable at best.

According to a google search, that's the 4.3b3 baseband. Have you been using TinyUmbrella to preserve your baseband? Or sn0wbreeze?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dodoman posted:

Is there any way to get out of DFU mode? I've tried restarting, killing the battery, recboot, tinyumbrella + fix recovery and redsn0w. 2 out of 3 times it ends up at the apple logo, which returns to DFU mode once iTunes starts the recovery process. The other time it just stays in DFU mode. I've tried everything I can think of (unless I've missed something), should I just give it to the apple store?

Did you ever use iFaith? It caused a DFU loop for me with my iPad. Couldn't get it to come out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the 3G is affected by the whole SHSH signing thing and you SHOULD be able to move freely between all the supported OSes.

SHSH wasn't required until the new bootrom 3GS came out (early 3GS didn't need SHSH either).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm getting error 3194 when trying to do a restore. I have jailbroken before and literally everything online says to delete the apple lines from your hosts file. I literally have an empty hosts file, fresh reboot, fresh installation of latest iTunes, but am still loving getting it. Is there anything else this error could possibly mean? I'm out of ideas here.

Tiny Umbrella doesn't work on either of my Win7x64 computers either (even though this would just modify the hosts file). It gets a NullPointer exception and dies when I try to load it up, even with the latest JREs from java.com.

Have you used iFaith at any point in the past? I'm 99% sure it caused my old iPad to go into a DFU loop when I last reinstalled iOS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

I'm selling my iPhone 4 when I get back to the states. It's JailBroken on 4.3.3 with a baseband I want to keep preserved.

I basically just need to restore it without updating *anything*. I can do that, right? And are there comprehensive instructions somewhere on how? :)

I'm 99% sure Tiny Umbrella will preserve your baseband for you on iPhone 4.

Run TU, install fresh 4.3.3, jailbreak with favorite tool.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mahoning posted:

So I'm perfectly happy with my non jail broken iPhone 4S but I just started a new job and will be getting a MacBook Air for said job. Sometimes I might need to access the Internet on it while not in a wifi hot spot. So I'm thinking about jail breaking my phone to use it for tethering every once in awhile. I'm not very interested in much else that jail breaking would do for me. So my questions are: is jail breaking even available for the 4s? I know different models either can or can't be jail broken, but read a few things about a 6.1 jailbreak this weekend possibly so I was curious. Secondly: I'm perfectly happy with the way my phone is now, if I jailbreak it and add a tethering app is it possible for everything else to be identical without having to set everything up again?

Does this sound like the best solution? I don't have AT&T and I don't think sprint is as bad about data but I'm not sure.

I'd probably ask my employer about providing me with a 4G hotspot before dicking around with your phone.

Or you can write it off on your taxes as a work expense.

And yes, if you JB to tether it will work exactly the same if you don't install anything else (except you'll also have a cydia icon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Feenix posted:

Wow does @10n1c have a giant stick up his rear end about evad3rs or what?

What a turd.

Are you that shocked someone in a jailbreak scene is throwing a hissyfit?

I unfollowed him about 6 months ago when he went on some childish rant about libertarianism and Ayn Rand. He's an idiot who knows how to hack.

Saurik, Musclenerd, and a few of the other guys are funny, engaging and informative. 10n1c isn't.

• Locked thread