Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

E1M5 posted:

I'm kind of tempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS, but I'm wondering - how much of a hassle is it to keep jailbreaking when the newest software updates come out? For example, we've gotten 4.3.1 - 4.3.3 in just a few weeks. Or do you not have to even worry about updating until a major one comes out?

It used to be a pain in the rear end, but the packages.txt trick makes it trivially easy. Though there isn't really a need to get every incremental update unless there is some new feature that you really want or some bug fix that you can't live without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One time I typed poo poo in and it just said command not found. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
n/m

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Can you recover a forgotten SSH password?

http://www.gargan.org/en/iPhone_iPod_touch/Reset_your_root_password/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

If I "upgrade" from the jailbroken OS to a new one, what happens then? What happens to the apps that shouldn't be there?

The data from the old JB apps will still be there after the upgrade but the apps themselves won't be (i.e. only official, non-JB apps will be there). This is why you can upgrade, re-jailbreak, then reinstall all of your JB apps without losing any settings.

If you want all the old JB stuff gone then you have to erase the phone before upgrading and not let it restore from backup at any point.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 4, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

So one thing I've always wondered. If your jailbroken data is saved when you restore and all you have to do is reinstall the jb apps, doesn't that mean there could be a bunch of junk floating around in the filesystem? All I really use is SBSettings and I just updated to 4.3.3 from 4.3.2, so it occurred to me that there could be years of poo poo clogging up my iPhone from jb apps I no longer use. :ohdear:

That stuff is all left behind, but unless you were doing something unusual like carrying aroud huge video files it probably isn't taking up a huge amount of space. The "Other" category in iTunes is where all the jailbreak stuff gets counted. But not all of "Other" is JB stuff.

If you wanted to you could probably get rid of most of it by manually uninstalling everything that you can from Cydia before doing the update where you don't want to JB.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is literally no reason to be posting here from Safari.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xenomorph posted:

iBooks is the only problem app I know of. I've not heard of apps crashing just from jailbreaking.

iBooks actually checked if you were jailbroken and then exited if you were, probably at the request of publishers who thought that people were using jailbreaking to steal their books. There was patch to stop it on Cydia pretty shortly after that behavior appeared.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Slide to jailbreak" was a pdf exploit, maybe he has found another?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Richman777 posted:

Anyway, it's called Calendar Colors and lets you modify the default Apple Calendar Colors. These are the little dots that show up in your Calendar, and more importantly, on your lock screen. These always bothered me and I hated having to modify the sqlite db on my own...so why not wrap a PreferenceBundle around it.

Nice

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think Stanza only reads epub natively. After you put the book in Calibre you have to convert it to epub before Stanza can download it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aside from using one of the signal strength apps (which also might be affected by whatever is messing with the regular signal bars), there isn't really any way to tell whether you really have a one-bar signal or a five-bar signal until you can't actually make or receive calls.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Stealing apps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My Lockinfo shows the time in the status bar at the lock screen. :confused:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Apps posted:

Mine doesn't. :confused:

Obviously you are doing it wrong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hunter x az posted:

What's the best way to easily back up all of my Cydia and other installed programs, when upgrading my FW to 4.3.3?

From da OP:

quote:

Before updating your device via iTunes:

code:
dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt
After updating:

Jailbreak then install OpenSSH and APT via Cydia then SSH in and do

code:
dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

Back up the packages.txt to your computer if you want to be really paranoid, but it should still be there after the update. All of your JB apps will find their settings and data right where they were before after everything finishes downloading and installing.

The free app-reinstalling thing in Cydia is total poo poo.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 7, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crunchtime posted:

Has anyone been having issues with installous? It was working for me last nite, but today API errors.

Isn't this the thing for pirating apps?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to log in to the phone remotely using ssh. Google probably can tell you how.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As far as I know, Datadeposit saves pretty much the same stuff that the regular iPhone backup does, just in the cloud instead of on your computer through iTunes.

The packages.txt trick is just a quick way to reinstall all of you jailbroken apps. The regular iTunes backup won't reinstall JB stuff, but it will save the data so that when you do reinstall them, the JB apps will find all of their old settings and data right where it should be.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mister ginger posted:

So my only hope is finding anothe wifi iPad 2 running 4.3.3 and save its blobs?

The SHSH blob is device-specific, so that won't work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
JB dev Comex gets written up in Forbes, or at least in some blog hosted by Forbes:

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2011/08/01/meet-comex-the-iphone-uber-hacker-who-keeps-outsmarting-apple/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The more free RAM you have the faster your phone runs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lockinfo is the only thing I still jailbreak for; hopefully ios5 makes it unnecessary too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jetsetlemming posted:

Since tethered jailbreak enables custom software on the ios, including low level stuff like afc2add and appsync, etc, how come tethered jailbreaks can't enable the further upgrade to untethered jailbreaks?

Like Xenomorph said, there are two distinct stages to the security on the phone. Causing shady stuff to happen at boot when plugged in to a computer (the tethered part) is apparently a totally different kind of effort than causing shady stuff to happen after you have control of the bootup process. The tethered part is I think more of a function of hardware which Apple can't fix without releasing a new phone model (or possible some kind of low-level firmware update?). The untethered part Apple can fix any time they like with an OS update.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 17, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
All the JB data gets backed up along with official apps. A restore will un-JB but there will still be JB-related data left behind. The only way to un-JB without leaving traces is to wipe the phone and reinstall everything from scratch without using your backup.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kasonic posted:

I've always been told that restoring a jailbroken backup to a legit phone will do all kinds of wonky things. You're saying it's that simple?

There will be some JB-related data left behind on your phone but everything will work just fine.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kasonic posted:

Well I just did this and I lost every single app. So.

:smithicide:

When it syncs after the restore it will put everything back where it should be.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread

withak fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Uuudar posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but I just wanted to verify: I just got a used iPad1 that is on 4.2.1 with no blobs saved (I checked). Only option is keep it at 4.2.1 or upgrade to the current firmware, correct?

Yes.

• Locked thread