Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Vertigus posted:

Quick question about jailbreaking I didn't see covered in the OP:

I just jailbroke my CDMA 4.2.8 phone with sn0wbreeze, and when I opened up iTunes after installing the new firmware it asked me if I wanted to restore from a backup or set it up as a new iPhone. I chose to set it up as a new iPhone, but was that necessary?

No, it wasn't. You can still restore from an older backup if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

How do I install new themes into my ipod? (with winterboard i guess)

The answer to your question is within your parenthesis. Download them. Open Winterboard. Turn them on.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Schpyder posted:

No offense, but you shouldn't be messing around with SSH or moving files around manually if you're not at least somewhat comfortable with a UNIX-y filesystem and conventions. Just stick to what you can get through Cydia.

You've got way more to learn than can be reasonably taught in this thread before you're ready to start manually mucking around with your iDevice.

As long as you don't go around deleting random directories, you'll be fine.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

DaNzA posted:

Yeah but for people who doesn't care it's as hard as learning unix/linux to them.
You don't even need to "learn unix/linux"

You need to learn how to use ssh, sftp (or scp), cp, mv, rm, ls, cd. ssh and sftp are as simple as typing in a user and password, and the rest require literally no skill at all to use.

I don't get how people think it's hard to do. You just type poo poo in.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

bonzaisushi posted:

Do you have a lot of custom gestures? More specifically ones that use the lower half of your screen? (drag from bottom/left/right/etc) Seems like i never had the button pressing issues you are having till i started using Drag from bottom and drag from bottom right gestures.
This is exactly what did it for me. I was having huge problems with my keyboard until I shut all the screen gestures off (besides status bar ones for SBS)

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

deoju posted:

Will a restore wipe it completely clean?

Yeah. The only place your data is saved is in your backup. Restore wipes the phone and puts fresh firmware on it. So just don't restore your backup when it's finished.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

New moblienotifier beta is out. This time around it is actually usable and loving slick.
http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/5/29/mobilenotifier-beta5-ecstatic-eggo.html

I sure hope this fix the sound bug that has existed since the first beta and could be fixed with 2 lines of code changes.

edit: half fixed. Still double the sounds on SMS, still vibrating for everything - even when some apps aren't set up to vibrate. :( I need a Mac.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 31, 2011

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

If you tell me the fix I could probably get it rebuilt for you.

Sure. I am almost certain this is the problem, but I've never been able to test:

https://github.com/peterhajas/MobileNotifier/blob/master/MNWhistleBlowerController.m

Comment out everything in alertArrivedWithData except for the [_delegate wakeDeviceScreen]; line. Even that I'm not sure is necessary since notifications should wake the screen regardless.

I'm fairly sure the entire class is unnecessary. What he's doing is causing vibrate no matter what the alert is, and playing a hard coded system sound (which is Tri-Tone apparently) for text messages.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 31, 2011

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

Jesus CHRIST the build instructions on mobilenotifier are retardedly complex. I'll have to do this after work.

Welcome to non-standard apps I guess? If it's too much hassle, don't worry about it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

The problem is to actually get the settings for current notification tone and to use it require some hidden APIs and my knowledge of iOS is almost nothing. Got any resources I can read through?

After some more poking around, there seems to be a lot of stuff in Tweak.xm related to hooking into the original push system. Check at line 314. Seems to be where most of the stuff is going on.

From what I can tell reading through that method, it hooks into the push system and intercepts anything coming through, and if it's the correct type (SMS, MSS, VM, etc) it'll send the data along to his system and not let the OS do anything else with it - ie play sounds, vibrate, pop up a message, etc - but if it's some other type of alert (Say a password entry for the App Store or something I guess) it'll let the OS continue with the %orig call at the end. All the push data is in the 'item' object that's received. What it contains outside of the stuff he pulls from it I have no idea.

As far as resources to read through, I have nothing. I've never done any jailbreak dev before.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 31, 2011

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

flyboi posted:

Well I found a resource with the private framework headers but no documentation makes finding this poo poo a needle in a haystack.

https://github.com/rpetrich/iphoneheaders

And it appears they use a lot of the private frameworks, just a matter of finding which ones to use for the notification tone.

Yeah, I've been looking at it here

There are a few alerts that inherit from SBAlertItem:

https://github.com/kennytm/iphone-private-frameworks/blob/master/SpringBoard/SBRemoteNotificationAlert.h
https://github.com/kennytm/iphone-private-frameworks/blob/master/SpringBoard/SBSMSAlertItem.h
https://github.com/kennytm/iphone-private-frameworks/blob/master/SpringBoard/SBRingingAlertItem.h

...but beyond this I can't really do anything since I don't have the tools to test and fiddle around.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
If it isn't allowing you to install it on >4.2, there's probably a good reason. ie, it won't work on anything >4.2, so it's pointless to try and get around it. If you really want to do it, try checking the man page (man apt-get) and look for a flag that will tell it to ignore dependencies.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What happened to jailbreakme?

Where can I view all the available apple jailbreaks and which itunes is required for them?

jailbreakme doesn't work anymore

jailbreakmatrix.com

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

grandma why posted:

Welp, I can't restore my iPad! I'm getting this message: This device isn't eligible for the requested build. Is there anyway to unfuck my iPad? I've tried extensive googling, but nothing is really helpful. Help me, o wise Goons!
Remove anything related to gs.apple.com from your hosts file.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

EC posted:

but I've heard bad things in this thread about installing an iPad baseband.

It just makes future upgrades a pain. I never ran into the GPS issue that has been reported. Results may vary I guess.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Vintersorg posted:

What's with the dislike of tethered jailbreaks? I don't quite understand it.

It's annoying is all. If you're out and need to reboot your phone for x reason, you're hosed for a while.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Corbet posted:

I'm just curious, why is SBSettings so important for you (and fellow jail breakers)? When I do jailbreak, I do install SBSettings, but I can't say I exactly miss it when I'm unbroken. Very rarely do I need quick access to 3G/Wifi/GPS toggles.

I like to easily be able to disable WiFi/3G/Push when my phone is running low.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

berzerker posted:

HOWEVER, you will lose GPS entirely

Not in all cases. I did it to a friend's phone and their GPS works fine.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a way to make your ipod touch like a storage device? I just want to drag and drop apps/music/pictures onto it but you have to "sync" with that computer in order to do so, but not all my computers have everything, it stinks.

For music, there's Sharepod. No jailbreak required last I used it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

randyest posted:

My wife's 4 is tether-jailbroken on 5.0. What's the easiest path to an untethered 5.01 jailbreak without having to manually dick around with restoring apps, settings, and cydia apps?

It's in the OP and second post of the thread.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Anyone know what this mediaserverd process is all about?

System sounds

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
What the hell is it with jailbreaking that causes my home button to not work half the time? It's not activator. I don't have activator installed. Restore to stock and the problems go away. Argh?! :argh:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

dweebgal posted:

My never jailbroken boyfriend had the same issue.

Took it into the Apple store and got a replacement.

So it *could* be hardware, if you're back on stock, you might as well take it in.

I thought it was a hardware issue about a year ago, so I replaced my home button. The problem returned though. :(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

TACD posted:

You replaced the home button on its own?

Yeah, you can buy them cheap online. Takes a while to take the entire goddamn phone apart though.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Jeez, American carriers are rather poo poo for tethering. Even the horrible awful worst company in the world Rogers allows tethering for free with >1GB data plans.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

randyest posted:

Unlimited data available? How much? How much for the other plans?

I have 6GB with Rogers for $30/mo, plus the cheapest lovely voice plan for whatever the hell it is I pay. It ends up about $75/month.

If my iPhone would work on Mobilicity I could get an unlimited plan for $36/mo on a 1 year contract. If only...

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

The Monarch posted:

I'm having trouble SSH-ing into my phone. It's a 3GS running 5.0.1 with the iPad baseband. I'm on a mac, and I can ping to the phone's IP just fine, but when I try "SSH root@IP Address" I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused". I've tried googling but all the links coming up are old and mostly for windows. I've also set the phone to not go to sleep. Anyone know what's up?

Same issue with me. I've heard that re-jailbreaking over your current one may fix it (due to a bug with initial release causing ruckus with the SSH daemon starting) but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. I tried installing Corona but it had no effect.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

mewse posted:

there's a cydia pkg called "lockscreen clock hide" that can hide the time and bar at the top, not sure about something for the slider at the bottom

You can theme it away if you're interested in installing winterboard.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

jonastheed posted:

Is there anything that would give Android-like password protection to your lock screen? I really like their implementation of sliding your finger over a pattern rather than discreet tapping of each number/letter in your password.

AndroidLock XT

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Diabolik900 posted:

This is happening with me on my work wifi ever since I jailbroke. I've jailbroken several times before and never had this problem. The timing could still be a coincidence though. Oh and I don't have MyWi or 3G Unrestrictor installed.

Do a speedtest (there's a speedtest.com app) while jailbroken. Restore to stock. Do a speedtest again. Compare. Could just be a coincidence?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I found a neat utility in Cydia a few days ago. Instead of always having your carrier (or I suppose custom carrier...haven't tried it with MakeItMine yet) displayed, it will set it to whatever WiFi network you're on. It's handy to see if your phone is trying to connect to an access point or not, since the carrier is updated before it finishes connecting and shows the WiFi bars.

The package is WiCarrier from BigBoss

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Xenomorph posted:

Having just "AT&T" was way too long for me... Having "My cleverly-named WiFi" scrolling back and forth up there doesn't seem too appealing.

Fair point. The only access points I'm on regularly are "IBM" and "robot" so it works fine for me :cool:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Karthe posted:

Android's G+ Instant Upload feature was really handy, and is one of the things I miss most about my old Android phone. Is there a jailbreak app that will do the same thing, that is, automatically upload photos to Picasa as soon as a picture is taken?

DropPhox almost does that. Dropbox instead of Picasa.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

obi_ant posted:

What was the name of that application that was like an overclock but wasn't? It sped up the animations.

fakeclockup, as was asked and answered last page.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mark Larson posted:

If I buy an iPhone that is sold as jailbroken and unlocked, would the unlocked part of it go away along with the jailbreak if I upgraded with a non-hacked .ipsw file?

Yes

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

CADPAT posted:

So here's a question. I just picked up a new iPhone 4S, and on my old 3GS I had some sort of tweak or app that made little symbols appear in the upper right hand corner near the battery if I had missed a text or an email.

Even though apparently there's an in depth notification system in iOS 5, I can't seem to figure out how to make this work. I'm assuming I need to download something but I can't remember what it was. I looked through some of the notification style apps on Cydia, but nothing quite like what I had.

I mean it's pretty simple and straightforward, but damned if I can't find it.

OpenNotifier

Last time I had it installed on 5.0.1, it caused crashes to Springboard. YMMV.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Question Mark Mound posted:

To be honest, all I want is the quick reply.
So what's stopping you from using only the quick reply?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

jojoinnit posted:

BiteSMS on iOS4 used to let me open a missed text by tapping the missed text icon at the top of the screen, but this doesn't seem to work in OS5. Is it just me?

You can still do it on the lock screen. Home screen you pull down the notification thinger.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Do we have any jailbreak developers here? I want a tweak that displays upcoming calendar events for the next 2/3/4/5/whatever days and keeps them on the lockscreen at all times.
Once I get my PC hackintoshed so I can use xcode and all that junk, I want to look into jailbreak dev. Does anyone know of any jailbreak related dev documentation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Views in iOS have a predefined animation durations. All FakeClockUp does is multiply the animation time by whatever option you choose. It's not going to have a big impact on battery at all.

• Locked thread