Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Godinster posted:

FCU made my battery poo poo

No it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Which program was it that will kick an iPhone into DFU? I'm in an endless crash->respring->crash loop and my home button doesn't work.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Have you tried SSHing into your iPhone to fix your problem? I've had varying amounts of success with that, sometimes narrowly avoiding the need for a full restore.

It doesn't stay up long enough to connect to WiFi, never mind long enough for me to find the IP. :/

edit;

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Is it TinyUmbrella?

Thanks, I'll try it out when I return home.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

status posted:

It doesn't stay up long enough to connect to WiFi, never mind long enough for me to find the IP. :/

edit;

Thanks, I'll try it out when I return home.

Turns out you can still back up via iTunes during a crash->respring loop. Everything is fixed now :cool:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Thauros posted:

Just jailbroke my phone (4 GSM) for the first time today, surprisingly quick and easy. So far I have to say it's worth it for Activator alone. Like many people I know with an iPhone 4, I sometimes have the issue with the home button not functioning properly. I set it so that a short hold of the volume up button is equivalent, and so far it's worked beautifully even when the regular home key is problematic.
Buy Zephyr. It's infinitely better than activator gestures - even the "swipe up from bottom" ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MW840fkmw

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Oneiros posted:

Am I missing some killer functionality here?
It looks pretty.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is there a fix for the home button problem? Last month or so, my home button (iphone 4 on 5.0.1) has become abysmally non responsive. I have to click it many, many times in order for it to respond.

I only have SBSettings, activator, tether me and GV voice/sms extensions installed. Some googling suggests it might be Activator's fault. Deactivating it under "more" in sbsettings gives some relief. Since display sb in the notification tray, leaving activator unused, I am thinking of just uninstalling activator to see if that solves it.

Because frankly I'm so annoyed by it I'm considering killing the jailbreak entirely... and I LOVE my GV extensions.

Mine has been dead for a year. I just use Zephyr. Works better than the activator gestures.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Anyone know of a tweak to keep your lockscreen always on when plugged into AC?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I used to shut off push notifications to save battery, but since OS5 you can't just hit one button to shut them off anymore :\

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Okay, reading through the info in the link above, am I to understand that since my 4S came with 5.1 preinstalled this will not work for me? Or can I download the 5.0.1 IPSW and redsn0w will do some techno-voodoo to it to make it work?

You need an SHSH, so you're screwed, unfortunately.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Baram posted:

What's the recommended app to display signal strength numerically?

SBSettings

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

1997 posted:

Or he can dial *3001#12345#* if he's on AT&T. I don't know if that works for other carriers though.

Ah, that works on Rogers as well. Seems to be an iOS command rather than a carrier thing.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

the talent deficit posted:

Jailbreak and install automator. You can remap gestures or buttons. I have volume down remapped to home and volume up to media controls (double home) because my home button is broken too. Holding down either volume button still allows you to change volume

Or use Zephyr

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Anal Tributary posted:

This has probably been asked before

Yes. On every page of this thread. And it's also in the OP.

Answers to your questions anyways:
1) Yes
2) No
3) Read the 2nd post of the thread. Oh, you did. Read back a couple pages. There was a suggestion for backing up JB data.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Anyone know of a tweak that automatically disables vibrate and notification sounds when in a phone call? I'm loving sick of having to ask people to repeat themselves when I get a bunch of notifications buzzing in my ear during a call.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

TraderStav posted:

I've never used the 'undo' feature on my phone before, when would you do that? Other than to accidentally undo what you just typed?

To purposely undo what I just typed?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Installed Springtomise, Gridlock, Infinifolders today. Now when I swipe up for the camera on lock screen it gets about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up and just hangs. Anyone with these three apps experience anything similar?

Fixed. Just had to respring a few times.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 9, 2012

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Blimpkin posted:

I always ask my questions here because I feel like because my phone is jailbroken, common denominator means that I should not be posting in the iOS thread.

Anyway I've been having an interesting problem with my phone. if I set my ring tones, text and phone, and I silence the phone using the switch on the left-hand side it resets the ring tones back to the original settings when I come back off silent by switching the device back to ring.
Anybody ever have this issue?
Do you have anything installed that will edit your ringtones at all? BiteSMS or similar per-contact ringtone stuff?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Funkmaster General posted:

Kind of curious how people feel about this. There are alternatives out there, but with Installous having been so popular, does anyone feel like this is a victory against iOS piracy?
It doesn't affect me whatsoever, but I know there are some semi-legitimate uses for it. My roommate used it to get the Pandora app, which isn't available in the App Store. That + a VPN allowed him to use the app for streaming music.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

The Rokstar posted:

Is this another weird region locking thing? Pandora is in the app store for me.

Yeah, it's not available in my region so the app doesn't show up in the store.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I wonder what the odds are of my shiny new unlocked iPhone 5 I ordered not 30 minutes ago having 6.1.3 on it :(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Space Gopher posted:

Pretty low. They don't go through the warehouses and update each one individually when a new iOS version comes out.

True. I guess they'd keep more than ~a week's (or however long ago 6.1.3 hit) worth of stock.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

converge posted:

I have a vintage iPhone 4, so I'm wondering if Activator is really slowing down my system.
The only issues it causes are home/power button non-responsiveness.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

tonic posted:

Anyone know if the carrier update from T-mobile can be applied on jailbroken phones? (iPhone 5 running 6.1.2)

Carrier updates have nothing to do with your jailbreak, so you will be fine.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

drat. I'm pretty sure there's a loose pin in my 4S and I'm pretty sure I'm still under warranty (got a replacement a month ago or so). It'll probably come with firmware that's jailbreakable but not the latest 6.1.2 :(
Charging ports are piss easy to replace. Around 5 minutes of work. Just eBay the part and DIY.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

DaveKap posted:

if I upgraded to 6.1.3, would I eventually be able to jailbreak it?
Once iOS 7 hits, yes. Unless by some miracle Apple has closed every possible security hole in the entire operating system.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Do I need to be on 6.1 to jailbreak? I'm on 6.0 and I don't know how to upgrade to 6.1.0 and not 6.1.3, and also I'm a huge idiot that doesn't understand modern technology. Thanks in advance.

You could try reading the information under the giant HOW TO JAILBREAK text in the OP.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

You mean the part that specifically says the current iOS is 6.1? The out of date information I was trying to get a bit of clarification on? Thanks, I'll remember that for next time.

Thanks to the previous poster though.

No, I mean the stuff under the heading HOW TO JAILBREAK, not the stuff above it. Everything you need is in the link.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Ok, so I downloaded Rearmed which is an Emulator and iFile and I am trying to figure out now how to put a drat Rom into var/mobile/documents but feel like a complete idiot because I don't understand how.

Isn't iFile the jailbreak app for browsing your file system from your phone?

If you're on a Mac/Linux, just open a terminal and type scp romfile root@iphoneipaddress:/var/mobile/documents

If you're on Windows it's similar if you use WinSCP

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I'm going to miss Zephyr if I go back to stock. :(

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to boost the upper volume limit? Especially for the podcast app. This would be really useful when I'm in loud public transit.

http://modmyi.com/cydia/com.iha1z.volumeboostios5

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I average around 7gb of data usage a month.
Do you Netflix on the train to work or something?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Does BatteryDoctorPro still have a bad rep for potentially screwing with antennas and needing a restore?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

plumpy posted:

I guess I'm giving up my jailbreak for the time being. Power button on my 5 is starting to get really fussy, so I'm taking it in to presumably swap tomorrow. Whats the easiest way to un-jailbreak? If I do a full backup through iTunes then restore will I end up with all the apps, settings, and data (apart from music) that I have now?

Buy the part online and follow the iFixit guide?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Stop being such a cheap goony bastard. If you can afford an iPhone you can afford to get a wireless adapter.

This "if you can afford x you can also afford y" argument is loving stupid. With that aside, you should probably just get the adapter anyways because MyWi costs 20 dollars.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Bummey posted:

How does io7 run on an iphone 4?
Like poo poo

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Literally The Worst posted:

Did anyone else have problems with jailbreaking ios7 disabling notifications for apps? Google hangouts and ircCloud stopped pinging me after I jailbroke.

All of my notification stuff got reset.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
What was that fix for my status bad showing up in weird places on iOS 7 since jail breaking? For example in the camera app while recoding a video.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Is there anything that will graph my data usage by app? All I could find is one that sorts the usage list in descending order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
The iMessage database is 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28 in an iTunes backup but I'm not sure if it contains your photos or not.

• Locked thread