Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Revol posted:

Is 3002 a connection error on the iOS5? I've already got the ISPW downloaded (thanks USENET), but I keep getting this error. I do get another error, the general connection issue error, so.. am I having a problem because I'm updating a jailbroken phone?

You're probably having trouble because Apple's update servers are totally hosed right now because millions of people are trying to upgrade. Just hold off until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

I've got an iPhone 4 running a JB 4.3.3, and I'm wanting to restore it to factory 5.0, but whenever I try, I get an "Unknown Error 11". What do I need to do to get this working correctly?

EDIT: other message I get is that the phone isn't valid for the requested build.

maduin posted:

Note: if you have having trouble installing a firmware upgrade or performing a fresh install via iTunes, make sure that "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" (located under the 'Advanced' tab) is not checked:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

AustinJ posted:

That's twice on this page that someone has said the iPad 2 can't be jailbroken, which is wrong. 4.3.3 allowed an untethered jailbreak for the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4 through a PDF exploit. My iPad 2 is currently jailbroken.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

4.3.3 can be jailbroken on the iPad 2, but anything higher than that can't, whereas anything higher that's using the A4 chip can but is tethered. They haven't discovered a bootloader exploit for A5 processors yet, which is basically what everyone means when they say it can't be jailbroken.

For all intents and purposes, anyone buying an iPad 2 today can't jailbreak it.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

AustinJ posted:

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense. (and I see it's in the OP, so I will hang my head in shame and bow out)

It was just added to the op, so don't feel too bad!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Richman777 posted:

Dammit chpwn, finish updating your tweaks. I use Shrink and infinifolders so put everything on one page and it's driving me insane having stuff on two pages.

He works for Apple now, so I doubt he's fixing any of his jailbreak apps.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Kazy posted:

I am 99% certain you are thinking of comex.

You're right, chpwn is just lazy.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Zorkon posted:

Okay, so if I have an iPhone 3gs on Version 4.3.5 (8L1) and baseband/modem firmware of 05.16.02...can I unlock the phone?

http://unloc.kr/

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

TheChipmunk posted:

I'm wondering if the jailbreak is causing the space discrepancy and populating the 'Other' storage on the iPhone. Every time I try to resync my music the 'Other' gets huge. Its not properly doing something but I don't know exactly what...

Looks like I may have to do a restore. I assume I just re-do the jailbreak process?

If this is on iOS 5, my phone was doing this when it wasn't jailbroken and has been doing it even in the developer betas. It's something hosed up with the way iTunes is storing music on the phone in iOS 5.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

TheChipmunk posted:

Yeah it's iOS 5. It sucks as its telling me I don't have space when I had about 2GB free on iOS 4. Definitely a bug if more people are experiencing it. Have you tried restoring? I'm wonder if I had a bad restore file or a sync error.

Have you done any wifi syncing? Are your backups encrypted? Not sure if that would effect it but who knows.

Full restores multiple times, clean installs not restored from backup. Not encrypted, both with and without wifi sync, and on different iterations of iOS 5. It's definitely a problem with music, but I'm not sure what it is. The only thing I can think is that it's storing meta data and album art as "other" but I really don't know.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Is there a general consensus on what the best winterboard theme is or is it all just down to personal preference?

It's absolutely personal preference. Popular ones include Glasklart (see picture in the op), Suave, Matte Nano, and Typophone 4 (lock screen only).

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Can you choose which iOS you want to upgrade to? Let's say you want 4.3.3 but not 5.0.

Only if you have the corresponding shsh saved.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

I was able to save my SHSH through that, but how exactly can I upgrade to 4.3.3? The only option available on iTunes is 5.0

Read the section in the op about SHSH/Firmware, because you don't understand what's going on and are going to have a million more questions about it and it's going to end up breaking.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

gypsyshred posted:

So just to be sure my google fu has not failed me, iPhone 4s is not jailbreakable at this time?

It's literally in the first line of the op :smith:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If I needed tethering, I would just buy a Verizon LTE mobile hotspot. It's in most major markets and significantly faster than 3G anyway.

I would never, ever buy tethering from AT&T.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Good news for iPhone 4 users: pod2g has a working untethered 5.0 jailbreak. He says it does work on 5.0.1, but he doesn't have a 4S or iPad 2, so he can't test that himself.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

adm posted:

Looks like the latest LockInfo update may have fixed the problem for the moment.

Since I can't find a definitive answer from google -- what's the latest information on downgrading baseband 04.11.08 for unlock? I'm about to travel internationally for six months and I'd like to grab a local sim. Using iPhone 4, OS 5.0 on AT&T. I've got all my SHSH blobs for 4.* saved.

It's impossible to downgrade your baseband, period.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Well I just gave up on upgrading to 5.0.1. I downloaded fixrecovery43.zip which also contained zlib1.dll. Then I opened iTunes, plugged in the phone (was still in connect to iTunes mode) and turned on fixrecovery. I then held down power and home for 10 seconds, which threw it into DFU mode and let the code run. After that, I just went back into iTunes and was able to restore back to 4.3.3. What a pain in my rear end and a waste of 4 hours.

As for what caused the issue in the first place, I have no idea. I merely tried to upgrade to 5.0.1 and planned on JB'ing after that.

It's probably the same problem almost everyone has when they're upgrading: your hosts file has probably been changed by TinyUmbrella.

The OP posted:

Note: if you have having trouble installing a firmware upgrade or performing a fresh install via iTunes, make sure that "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" (located under the 'Advanced' tab) is not checked:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Cydia is going to be getting slammed for the next couple of days.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

waesa posted:

I don't think I'm a complete moron, but maybe I am?

I've got a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 4.2.1. If I try to update to 5.0.1 I get either error 21 or 1600. I've searched my rear end off and can't find anything that will fix this. Trying to update normally gives error 21, trying to update in DFU mode gives 1600.

I'm probably missing something really basic...

Oh and yeah I've disabled the 'set all hosts to cydia' on TinyUmbrella

Are you 'restoring' to the firmware or 'updating' to it? Restore to it if you aren't.

Also, make sure you're in dfu mode and not just recovery mode.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

randyest posted:

I remember some jailbreaker dev nerd saying not to upgrade to 5.0.1 but is that still reasonable advice for a 4s? I'm tired of seeing that (1) badge on settings.

They've said you can absolutely safely upgrade to 5.0.1, but not beyond.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

UltraRed posted:

I have an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1 with an unlimited plan.

Can I jailbreak this without unlocking it? Do I do so by just not checking the use iPad baseband in redsn0w?

What does unlocking actually do? I know it used to be used to switch carriers, but does it do other functions?

Could I still use my phone as a hotspot or download larger files with it still locked?

Even though Apple decided to depricate the iOS on my device and I really need to upgrade, I am a huge baby about the "POINT OF NO RETURN" stuff.

Yeah don't unlock it. Just jailbreak it without using the iPad baseband; unlocking only affects the ability to use the phone on different carriers. A locked/unlocked phone doesn't affect any of the utility of jailbreaking.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Update everything you're interested in jailbreaking to 5.0.1 -- if you're sitting on a jailbreak and don't want to lose it, you can hold off, but if Apple pushes out 5.1, which is in developer beta right now, before someone releases an A5 jailbreak, you'll need to update to 5.0.1 like right away--they'll keep signing the previous firmware for a day or so--before Apple stop signing it.

maduin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 20, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm guessing that's what happened here, anyone have any advice?

Buy a new phone.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Thank you Xenomorph. I'll have to spend some time with this, I think. I thought it would be easier because I got an already jailbroken device. Looks like it isn't. :(

My friend told me that you can flash a different baseband and then be able to unlock it, is that not true? I only bought the iPhone because I thought it could be unlocked.

Your friend is wrong and you can't unlock it. Sorry.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

100% of themes look like poo poo. Don't bother.

I understand some people want to have their phone look unique, but this is how I feel about themes: who do I want designing my phone's appearance, some of the best designers in the world who are being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by Apple or a 16-year-old on deviantArt making GBS threads out themes in a pirated version of Photoshop?

There are really only two or three that are even passable, and sometimes I want to change that picture in the op so people don't just think jailbreaking = pretty themes, but I don't know what else to put there.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

CADPAT posted:

So here's a question. I just picked up a new iPhone 4S, and on my old 3GS I had some sort of tweak or app that made little symbols appear in the upper right hand corner near the battery if I had missed a text or an email.

Even though apparently there's an in depth notification system in iOS 5, I can't seem to figure out how to make this work. I'm assuming I need to download something but I can't remember what it was. I looked through some of the notification style apps on Cydia, but nothing quite like what I had.

I mean it's pretty simple and straightforward, but damned if I can't find it.

Lockinfo, probably.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Black Noise posted:

Im trying to find an app that allows me to reply to SMS texts via computer I can swear it was just posted in the last few pages but all im finding is BiteSMS chat

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=400560582

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The only thing that FakeClockUp does is speed up animations. It isn't overclocking the CPU or anything like that, so it isn't going to drain your battery.

I think a lot of the misperception when it comes to jailbreaking and battery stems from people installing tweaks and then playing with their phone a shitload to see all the pretty new tweaks; this in turn drains the battery faster and makes them think the jailbreak is causing it, when it's just a result of increased usage.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Just watching that has drained my battery considerably.

Hahahahahaha this is the best post.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I don't know how to break it to you, but jailbreaking doesn't make your phone bigger.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm inclined to believe it's the official one. It says Apple in the title, and the sub-title says "by Apple". It's strange that it's £10-15 cheaper than what Apple is charging directly though. Maybe the seller is trying to sell of its stock for whatever reason.

As for whether the mirroring will work with Netflix, I'm not really sure.

It isn't an official one. Amazon is packed with fake cables, and you just need to make sure you're reading the reviews (one of the few times Amazon reviews are useful) so you get a cable that does what you want and doesn't, like, not have sound or whatever.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

My 4 has an untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak.

He means that, worst-case scenario, there will always at least be a tethered iPhone 4 jailbreak.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

The Greenp0ison site tells us to backup the iPhone to your computer, but I backup to iCloud... should I backup to my computer instead? I don't see why this would be necessary.

It's always good to have a local backup just in case, and it only takes a minute or two.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

omg car crash posted:

I bet this gets asked a lot, but how can I get my lock screen to look like the first picture in the OP?

It's Typophone 4. You don't have to download it from DeviantArt either. Just search for it on Cydia.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

what on earth are you doing that you're using 7gb a month?

Probably streaming video.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Is there anything you guys think would be helpful to add/remove from the op? I've been busy with work so I haven't really kept up with what's been happening in the thread. Anything other than the battery percentage poo poo being asked over and over? Also, turn your loving battery percentages off--what the gently caress is wrong with you?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Aatrek posted:

I'm on a Wifi-only iPad 2, and I finally upgraded to 6.1 once the jailbreak dropped the other week. Is there any urgent reason I need to jump to 6.1.2 at the moment (critical fixes, etc)?

If you notice decreased battery life and use Exchange email or if you're worried about the lock code bug that was all over every tech site a few days ago.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
So, uh, jailbreaking is pretty close to dead after iOS 7 is released.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
If someone who posts a lot in this thread and is in the know on all the iOS 7 jailbreaking poo poo wants to create a new thread for iOS 7, feel free.

With all of the stuff iOS7 has added, I really just haven't felt the need to jailbreak and haven't stayed up-to-date on things, and the OP is really abandoned at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Here's your iOS 7.1 information: https://www.apple.com/ios/ios7-update/

Decide for yourself if it's worth updating, I guess.

• Locked thread