Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mentioned this a month or so ago, but seriously, the last 2 jailbreaks (and I've done a totally clean restore and not worked from a backup.) have made it so my Answer Call button, my Speakerphone button, etc... take about a million taps to respond before working.

Example case: I receive a call. My screen lights up with the caller and at the bottom is an Answer & an Ignore button. The I tap the answer button. Nothing. Doesn't even visually respond that it's been tapped. I keep tapping. About 10 seconds later I can answer the call.

The only reason this hasn't been a bigger issue is I just don't make & receive a ton of phone calls.

But still, it's annoying the poo poo outta me.

Anyone else?

(iPhone 4, 4.3.3 Jailbroken.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's definitely Jailbreak related, and not my plain phone.

I'll check if there are any theming remnants, but I don't think so. Like I said I started from scratch on this new Jailbreak. Didn't restore anything from previous backups. Possibly something in Winterboard I may wanna take a peek at.

Oh wait, you know what I DO have? SliderMod HD. I could remove that and check, I suppose. But you'd think you'd hear more bitching if that was the culprit.

[edit]

I think I have it figured out. It's not that the button is unresponsive. It's that you have to tap it high on the button. (for both Answer Call and for Hide Keypad)

I bet this is Activator Related. Activator has screwed up the bottom part of the screen before.

Still a nuisance but at least now I can answer my rarely received phone calls instantly by tapping in the right place.

Thanks.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 25, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way to fully backup my iphone to my harddrive through SSH or some other mean? What I'm looking for specifically are my notes, text messages, and photos being saved in the event of either loss or theft. Presumably these are all saved on the iphone's explorable hard drive, right?

You mean other than plugging it in and having iTunes do it for you?

[edit] It looks like my call answering problem *might* be sliderMod HD. I can press much lower on the button when I have it "off" in Winterboard. But when I have it on I have to press higher on the Hide Keypad and Answer Call buttons.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LamoTheKid posted:

I'm willing to bet winterboard is the culprit as well.

Would this not be a far larger reported issue on the internet if it were, though?

I have never NOT had Winterboard on any Jailbroken phone all the way back to my 3G and I only noticed this issue once I added SliderMod HD.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LamoTheKid posted:

Activator but since it was updated it's been smooth sailing.

Aside from how poo poo the Home Button is, of course.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aggro posted:

Hay, I'm trying to update my Cydia apps, but every time I try to refresh the "Changes" tab, I get "Error: POSIX: Operation time..."

What the gently caress does that mean and I how do I fix it?
You probably bricked your iPhone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The difference is, my issue isn't a "sometimes". It's an "always".

And yet I know the screen works down there in other instances, so I'm left to think it's jailbreak or jailbreak app related.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

suddenlyissoon posted:

There was a report earlier where someone traced it back to the data APN relay that tethering went through. Basically, all the tethering programs were using the exact one that you would normally use if you paid for tethering instead of using the iphone 3g data that you would when you do not tether. PDANet was the first one to make a change. Haven't heard anything more since then.

How could you possibly get a letter for using slingplayer? That's a legitimate app with 3G service. I wonder how they'd justify that!

Not to jynx my poo poo, but I have yet to get a letter from AT&T. I didn't tether THAT much (basically would sync my iPad 2 up to my iPhone 4 at work in order to update or buy an app on the App store for my iPad from time to time.) I've since switched to PDANet and have resumed tethering but really, really not that much.

Still, no letter yet.

*knock on wood.*

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rakanakle posted:

I really wish there was a jailbreak for the iPad 2 already. This sounds so convenient.

I'm confused. You want your iPad 2 to be the host? Because I have an (obviously unjailbroken) iPad 2 that connects just fine to my jailbroken iPhone with PDA Net or any of the other programs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just because it wouldn't be the Jailbreak thread without someone occasionally moaning about this...

Man, I really want iPad2 Jailbreak. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What's the significance of what comex has up at jailbreakme.com?

We thinking it's an A5 jb exploit??

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
from comex:

Just read the latest Dev Team blog post... if you have an iPad 2, it would be a very good idea to save your 4.3.x SHSH blobs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

from comex:

Just read the latest Dev Team blog post... if you have an iPad 2, it would be a very good idea to save your 4.3.x SHSH blobs.

[edit] so as not to confuse, I do believe we are close, but the post from comex has more to do with the future in iOS5 and it's lack of blobs.

[edit edit] quote is not edit. Sorry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
iPad 2 wifi : jailbreak worked a charm. Easiest one yet!

Question for anyone who has attempted to install SBSettings, mine hangs Infinitely at 'preparing Activator'. Does yours?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Funso Banjo posted:

SBSettings will freeze while it downloads and installs the activator. To fix this bug, install something else that requires the activator. Backgrounder is one. Then SBSettings should work for you if you try it again.

I just installed Activator by itself. Easy Peasy.

Now I need to know what kind of cool jailbreak apps / functionalities I should be looking for for my iPad.

(I know about RetinaPad.) :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

just_a_guy posted:

My3g so you can FaceTime on 3G useful if you use FaceTime

This is a Wifi-only Jailbreak (so it seems at least presently) but more importantly, I am on a Wifi only iPad.

Good recommendation for others though, when the time comes...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Voodoo posted:

Earlier I was able to hit the pdf from the ryanlobbins.com site, but after Safari would close, nothing would happen, even after restarting. Wifi iPad2, running 4.3.3. Same deal from the (working) links at http://www.iphonehowtojailbreak.com/jailbreakme

Ah well, guess I gotta wait for the real release.
Unless more versions got leaked it was for 4.3 only. Not 4.3.3...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If I jailbroke with the leak a few days ago, can I just JB over that? I've noticed no issues but to be safe I want the latest and greatest, obviously.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A tweet answered my own question, FYI.

If you used the early iPad 2 JB, restore (while 4.3.3 is still here!) and rejailbreak.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I use Lockscreen on my iPhone 4. I turn the big Clock off (it takes up so much space on the lockscreen.)

Is there any way to have the time display in the status bar (like it does when the phone is unlocked) even when the phone is on the lockscreen?

(On the lockscreen it just shows a lock icon where the little status bar time usually is.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So a late 'reply' to the "People excited for Jailbreaking only want to Pirate" argument, as well as something that I think NEEDS to be recommended Jailbreak App 101...

Browser Changer.

Nothing gets my goat more than having and using iCab Mobile, only to have my Youtube shortcut, anything I open in Mail, etc... all open in Safari.

This allows you to pick your default browser that EVERYTHING opens to. It is glorious!

One thing I'd like to ask of anyone who has used this app... can you make it so when you open something it does NOT hijack your existing tab? It should create a new tab, but it doesn't. It changes the tab you left your browser on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rakanakle posted:

This hasn't been working for me on my iPad with iCab. Kinda bummed since I love it on my iPhone. I assume it works fine for everybody else?

iPad 2, installed last night. Using it with iCab. No issues.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Diafthora posted:

Anyone else having an issue probably with FolderEnhancer where you can't open certain folders?

I had that happen once a day or two ago, to one folder when I closed an app and did a couple things too fast. I had to reboot the device. It was weird, but not all that concerning. It was only one folder, too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
1) It's Safe Mode. It was put there specifically to help you when poo poo crashes, so you're not 'locked out' of making changes.

2) Any experienced jailbreak user will tell you, when in doubt (and having crashes) work backwards removing jailbreak apps (logically newest-added first.)

3) I've heard rumblings (anecdotally) of the 5 finger gestures being not fully supported in the iOS, so I'd start there by just flat out removing that and seeing.

5) Bricking your iPad is nigh-on-impossible short of duct-taping it to your back and diving into the ocean, or having a Great Dane piss on it. Everything it needs to run properly (short of functioning mechanical/electronic parts is written over when you do a restore.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Solly posted:

Well that's a kick in the nuts, I really hope my tiny umbrella thing worked because my current jailbreak install is a bit hosed. Suppose it could be ages until another security hole is found. Its a bit strange really that I have to hope my mobile device is unsecure in some way so I can get the most out of it.

I don't mean for this to be overtly mean spirited towards you, but I seriously believe I'm going to do a 30 second long spit-take the first time (if ever) I read a non-negative iDevice-related post from you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One of the jailbreak dudes made a hack to make Facebook's iPad app work again. Its called FaceForward. Good on them!

Anyway I installed it today and FB app on iPad is pretty not bad. Except how atrocious the comments column is. You press on show comments or whatever and you get a right aligned column overlay (not unlike Twitter for iPad) but it's narrow and you have to drag-scroll offscreen to see the cut off comment.

REALLY lame. (then again, this app wasn't meant for primetime obviously, soooo....)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mister ginger posted:

Thanks for your help guys. All my anticipation to get my new shiny white (why did I pick white) iPad is gone. This thing is useless to me without jailbreaking :awesome:

Sounds like a real informed purchase. Also White Rules, shut up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
To be fair, there is plenty of cool poo poo you can do with Jailbreaking. But to buy an iPad and consider it worthless at it's core functionality is just...

...Really?!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My family is going to Switzerland for 2 weeks. I was content to just turn my phone off (Data and voice). But my Sister just told me that Apple now can unlock your iPhone.

I've got it Jailbroken and don't want to muck with that 2 days before I leave.

here's my question:

As a jailbroken dude on umm... 4.3.3 who has never unlocked... can I unlock now?

And bonus question, which may be better for another thread: Can I get a prepaid MICROSIM in Switzerland?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
She may be. But it's irrelevant because I wouldn't ever go to do that. It was just what prompted me to wonder if I could do it myself.

I have baseband 04.10.01

I found a youtube detailing some exploit, but it sounds unreliable at best.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No. to date I've given no poo poo about unlocking and preserving basebands.

It's not the hugest deal. Was just curious. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Comex is an intern.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think I could ALMOST give up JB, except I *really* love 3G Unrestrictor. I'd lament the loss of BiteSMS functionality, but yeah, bottom line, 3G Unrestrictor is the poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

maduin posted:

Roaming onto an AT&T tower when no T-Mobile service is available?

That's my guess too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

If it isn't activator I have to remove the jailbreak before going to Fruit and replacing my iPhone just so they won't say "you are poo poo out of luck because you jail broke your iPhone".

But if it IS Activator, you will know faster, easier, and without having to redo everything, if you just remove Activator and mess around with the phone for a while.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

Older versions of Activator use to really annoy me with how it messed with the Home button (short presses were ignored). I bugged the hell out of the developer and gave a bunch of little donations (totaling only $20, but probably way more than most users gave him), and he finally made the changes I wanted.

Most shameless indirect claim to fame I've ever read.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it's just hitting today, but if nothing has changed, do we know (think?) iOS5 GM is Jailbreakable immediately/soon?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm selling my iPhone 4 when I get back to the states. It's JailBroken on 4.3.3 with a baseband I want to keep preserved.

I basically just need to restore it without updating *anything*. I can do that, right? And are there comprehensive instructions somewhere on how? :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

LamoTheKid posted:

I'm 99% sure Tiny Umbrella will preserve your baseband for you on iPhone 4.

Run TU, install fresh 4.3.3, jailbreak with favorite tool.
So like... Run TU, choose Restore, point it to a downloaded 4.3.3 IPSW, rejailbreak (or let the new buyer) yeah? And this preserves baseband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TraderStav posted:

A thought just occurred to me. How is the delta-updating that iOS5 implemented for version upgrades going to impact jailbreaking? Will there be any fundamental changes or will this just change how you update your phone? Obviously we do not have any experience to base off of, but wondered if this has already been discussed.

Any decent packaged JB for iOS 5 will likely disable deltas. Or if not it will be some essential Cydia upgrade like those PDF exploit patchers.

Do we even know if delta updates are invisible like that? Frankly even unjailbroken I'd be miffed if my phone OTA updated without even asking me if it could.

• Locked thread