Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TraderStav posted:

Will fully packaged updates (as they were pre-iOS5) still be available?

I don't work at Apple, homey. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so I just got back from my honeymoon this afternoon. My 4S is waiting to be unboxed, and I need to prep my iPhone 4 for sale. It's 4.3.3 jailbroken. I want to know the best way to wipe it. I know it involves restoring and TinyUmbrella, but either through vagueness, jet lag or my general ignorance, I'm not making the connections. Anyone walk me through it (or point me to a very step by step guide?) :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In trying to restore 4.3.3 (I have 4.3.3 Jailbroken, with all my data) I got the 1013 error and I tried to go into DFU in Tinyumbrella and kick it or fix it. It goes whitescreen then tells me about a couple missing greenpoison files or something.

I just want to keep it 4.3.3 but get it in a wiped/saleable condition. Anyone know what I should do at this point?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've been googling and attempting things and I've gotten to where I can't get it out of recovery mode. I'd happily just start with how I can fix that. I have TinyUmbrella. I followed instructions I found, but it doesn't seem to work...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Please disregard all my past posts today. I got it sorted with the help of Redsnow.:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fair warning iPad(2?) owners. I did what I always do to my iPad 2 Jailbroken on 4.3.3... I went into Cydia and applied all updates (there were 9 tonight) and now all my icons are small (I had shrink, but not active) and out of their folders... and the keyboard is tiny like it's formatted for iPhone and any single app I press reboots the device.

So long jailbreak I guess. Hello iOS5, I suppose.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Well I installed a bunch of jailbreaks yesterday, and one of them is making my phone reset itself. Because I have iOS 5, that means gotta re-tether every time! Yay!

Time to uninstall one by one and see if it fixes it :-\

Is your phone literally blipping the screen and rebooting no matter what app you press? I had that happen to my iPad2 (4.3.3) after having Cydia update about 9 Jailbreak apps.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

Just a note that Safari and Mail will not function if you do have to reboot. A work-around for Safari is that other browser still work (but no mail alternative).

But this is still WAY better than the old situation where nothing worked if you rebooted.

"SemiTether Jailbreak For iOS 5 Updated To Support Safari Working In Non-Tethered Jailbreak Mode"

(Redmond Pie)
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5-semi-untethered-with-semitether-0.9.1-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I upgraded to iOS5 on my iPad 2 recently and discovered that there is something about that Split Keyboard that feels decidedly UN-Apple. Not sure what it is. Just doesn't feel very "clean".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

abuimak posted:

I keep forgetting to use Tinyumbrella for my new 4s, can i still save my shsh blob for 5.0 or has that ship sailed?

I thought word on the street was that 4S's errored out TinyUmbrella.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the probability of the 4S being jailbroken in the next week or so? I'm eligible for the upgrade, but I don't want to buy it if I'm going to lose my jailbroken abilities (particularly Wi-Fi hotspot capability, which for me is almost a necessity.)

It is definitely going to be Jailbroken in the next 7 days.

What are you kidding me man? Really? Do you think if there was ANY buzz about it where we would know if it was going to be jailbroken, there'd be zero chatter on it here?

Here's your safe answer: 100% will eat my hat, guaranteed NO Jailbroken 4S in the next 7 days.

:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chinook posted:

I suspect it'll be a long time before I can jailbreak my iPad 2, which has a iOS5.0. I won't update, though, so maybe that's in my favor.

There has never really been a good way to jailbreak the iPad 2, has there?

There was pre-iOS5. I had a jailbroken iPad 2 before I updated to iOS5.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Corte posted:

Had to replace my iPad due to a hardware issue while under warranty, unfortunately the replacement sports the 4.3.5 firmware. I've tried a bunch of times to restore the device to various earlier versions that to jailbreak with no success.

I believe I have set the device in DFU, if iTunes is recognizing it as recovery mode is that DFU? I have edited the host file to direct to Saurik's server also before attempting to restore but it I receive the same 3194 error.

I'm now going to try the Redsn0w workaround to see if I have any luck.

I'm not mister JB Wiz or anything, but I believe if a DEVICE doesn't have an SHSH backed up, you're not going anywhere. It physically just won't let you install.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theblackw0lf posted:

Went to the Apple Store today and they had plenty of iPhone 4S's in stock. So frustrating to not be able to buy one since it's not jailbroken yet :(

All I really need the jailbreak for is the ability to make my phone a WiFi port, which lately has become a necessity. Besides that I could live without a jailbroken phone.

You know, I get why you're holding off, but it may not be serving you best to do so.

We are pretty sure 4S will be Jailbroken at 5.0 or 5.01 or whatever. We also know that Apple is working on new firmware. Eventually that new firmware WILL make it into boxed 4S's on the shelf at Apple. We don't *know* that those will be Jailbreakable, but the smart money is on yes, they will too. However, it will push BACK the jailbreak on later firmwares.

So you have to ask yourself... buy an iPhone 4S now and wait for that "in process" jailbreak to release. Or wait it out and hope that this jailbreak comes out soon enough that you can buy an iPhone 4S from Apple that hasn't been bumped to like 5.02 or 5.03 or something which will then require you to wait even longer for a compatible jailbreak, etc etc.

Bottom line, if the iPhone 4S is perfect for you, but you just need the Jailbreak for one more feature, I'd buy now. No sense waiting.

If the iPhone 4S is useless to you without Jailbreak for that one feature, I'd really consider if the iPhone is the way to go at all...

Just my 2 cents, I suppose.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think you just risk putting yourself into an endless wait-loop. I mean it's already somewhat of a gamble that 5.0.1 will be jailbroken (but I think the prevailing wisdom is that it's likely.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

IncendiaC posted:

I don't remember seeing it posted here, but it seems like pod2g has developed a working untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1. Still no love for iPhone 4S/iPad 2 though :(

The guy works like a beast. http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/
Mentioned on this page and the last.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's Activator, which is an integral part of SB Settings and many other JB things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Javid posted:

I have never had that issue with Activator, is it a problem in 5.0+?

No, it was a problem prior. It would take 2 or more home button presses a lot of times when my phone was jailbroken to register a press. (A lot of people report this.)

I believed the common theory/knowledge was that it was Activator... but even if not, I'm pretty positive it was something in the Jailbreak, because as bad as it was, when I unjailbroke my phone and restored it to default, it worked 100% of the time.

Then of course, there are legit home button mechanical issues. Those are rare but they do happen. My wife's 4's home button physically stopped working at all.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm gonna OTA Update my 4S (which is on 5.0)... 5.1 isn't out yet, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
WOOP WOOP!

Hooray for that possibility!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
edit: I thought you said WHAT is this. Not Was it this.. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Download anything, any size, despite being on 3G. E-SSENT-IAL!

Integrating more good notifications into the Notifications screen is also desired.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Funso Banjo posted:

My, probably wrong, guess is within 48 hours.

Sunday Funday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm in a work meeting but even though the message earlier that said it was coming in a few hours specifically referred to iPhone, this is for iPad 2 as well, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does BiteSms currently integrate with Notifications & Notification Center?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

Cool. Their server is down, the IRC server is full, and no updates in over 30 minutes on Twitter. I guess I should have waited until 4AM sometime next week to do this.
Are you new to the JB rodeo?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I do the VPN turn-on thing on my 4S, I get the error, dismiss it, but it doesn't reboot my device.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the part where you launch Absinthe on your 4S, if the page doesn't load do you just keep trying? Is it eventually supposed to work when the site is less hammered? Or did I do something wrong? Because the VPN-Toggle errors out but doesn't do anything when I dismiss the error.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I go to the VPN screen I see turn VPN on and Off toggle and under that I see "Choose a configuration" and Jailbreak as a selectable option, assumedly from Absinthe. Connect on Demand for "Jailbreak" is set to "on".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fatal posted:

For those of you who were having issues, try this link http://cache.greenpois0n.com/dl/absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip It points to a slightly newer build that uses a different server location for the verification process. For me I had to do the following on my iPad to get it to work.

Run newer version
It mentions that I had a failed jailbreak and it was going to fix it.
After it finished, I unplugged and plugged my iPad back into my machine.
Ran jailbreak process again, followed all directions and left the iPad plugged in the entire time.
Ran the "Absinthe" program (iPad still plugged in, not sure if this makes a difference) and waited on the white screen for about 30 seconds for it to start rebooting

Trying this right now. I'm at the Waiting for Reboot part of the Absinthe progress bar. I don't remember it taking this long before but it's been about 10 min. :\

[edit]

Your method worked! Thanks!

For anyone stuck-stuck on waiting to Reboot. Don't unplug, but you can manually reboot. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 21, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What is it I want to do to get BiteSMS:

1) Working "Seamlessly" with my messages app.

2) Integrating into Notifications Center, etc...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Yes, just go into Settings > Notifications and add SBSettings to the "In Notification Center" list.

In the Quick Reply settings, for Alert Style: "Use Apple Settings" and for In Notification Center: "Open Quick Reply", then further down under Lock Screen: "Auto Show Quick Reply" turned off.

You'll get the text message and it'll look like default for iOS 5, but when you swipe to open, the Quick Reply box will show up instead. Also, if you pull the notification center down and tap the text message, that will open Quick Reply.

Side note: if you go into "more stuff" you can change the icon to the default messages icon and hide the messages app completely.

Beautiful Post. Thanks man. Last question... not that I care THAT much. Is there still any of that iMEssages stuff using Bite?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of... Any cool JB Apps that make use of Siri or voice at all?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Re: my Siri JB app question, apparently something called SiriToggles is in its way to Cydia as we speak which will allow app launching and SBSettings style functions (think brightness, etc...)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought 3G Unrestrictor allowed FaceTime. But I can't seem to figure out how to add it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How do you get it to show up? I've refreshed BigBoss and it's still not there.
Yeah I don't see it either.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got siritoggle from ovihost repo. I can turn on/off wifi, but opening apps or changing brightness she just tells me sorry, can't.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same here. Maybe the author doesn't have the latest version out?
I notice the version is 1.0b3, so maybe it's a beta early version.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hmm, I can do brightness, Bluetooth, and wifi but can't get it to open apps. I think you have to be specific in the phrasing. "Change brightness to X%" for brightness. "Enable/Disable X" for toggles. Can't figure out how to reboot the phone or do anything else.
Delete that. Legit just hit big boss repo.

Works a fuckin charm.

[edit] To Clarify: The one from OviHost.com is listed as 1.0b3 and shows "Ovi" as the author.

The legit one is made by Hamza Sood, and is listed as .02 on Big Boss.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aggro posted:

I'm frothing at the mouth because I can't get this jailbreak to work on Windows. I tried the regular installer, which puts the Absinthe icon on my page. I then open it, and jack poo poo happens.

I then tried the CLI method, which ends up with "Profile Failed to Install".

Googling reveals a lot of people with similar problems and no one with a goddamn answer. Argh.
You try the newer DL of Absinthe that had the different servers? I couldn't get it to work either, same as you, and that instantly fixed it.

• Locked thread