Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are the gv extensions worth the money? I'm pretty happy with the official google voice app but it would be nice to have the integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

What's the average time between new software/hardware release and untethered jailbreak?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Tried jailbreaking ios6 with redsn0w and kept getting Keys.plist errors when I'd try to boot tethered. Guess no jailbreak for me for now =/

This is a joke post, right?

Edit: wait, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they had a tethered jailbreak for the iOS 6 gm.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Blargh, all I want to do is install SBSettings and TetherMe but the servers are still not cooperating. :(

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

It appears my GPS/Location Services is stuck on ever since I jailbroke my 5. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Also having the reboot issues, but they seemed to have fixed themselves. :iiam:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

cornface posted:

If you go into settings -> privacy -> location services, does it show anything using it?

It was the Star Trek app that I installed yesterday and had nothing to do with jailbreaking. :ms:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a list of good Cydia apps? I keep seeing a bunch of good ones just by checking this thread periodically but I'd like a one-stop shop. What about a blog or review site?

I've mostly been going off of this list buried a few pages back.

Christoff posted:

A lot. This needs to be in the OP. It's like you people need to be convinced to jailbreak.

3G Unrestrictor - gets rid of the silly "WiFi only" limitations of many apps. If I have nearly-unlimited data and a 10 Mbps+ cellular connection, why force me to download everything on the lovely 0.5 Mbps public WiFi I'm sharing with a hundred people???
biteSMS/irealsms - Respond to a text from lockscreen or while in any app. Among a ton of other things. I purchased irealsms years ago when it was the go-to one. Now it seems like bitesms is a lot more popular.
BytaFont - to pick different fonts, and WinterBoard to pick different icons. It can give an OS that has looked the same since 2007 a fresh appearance.
CyDelete - Delete cydia apps like an apple app (jiggle, click x, etc)
f.lux - Adjusts light levels throughout the day for a more pleasurable view(It's originally an awesome computer program that you should use)
Five Icon Dock
FolderEnhancer
iFile
LockInfo
MyWii - Tetherning. A word of caution for AT&T users, though. They will take away your unlimited data
SBSettings - Swipe title bar (Or whatever you call where the time is) to bring a menu to do multiple things like turn data off/on, wifi, go into airport mode, etc. A lot of apps have toggles that you can add to this as well. It also does a lot of other things. Everyone jailbroken phone should have it
ncsettings - like sbsettings. I haven't used it yet personally. Some people like it better apparently it's a much cleaner look
Zephyr - Swipe up to simulate hitting the home button. Swipe left to right to go between background apps. I can only imagine how much better this will work on the iphone 5. It lagged a bit on the 4.
Fakeclockup - Speed up the iphone animations making your iphone seem like it's superwhizbangfast. Worked great on the 4 can only imagine it on the 5. 1.4x seems to be a good ip5 speed
Winterboard - If you don't know what this is don't jailbreak your phone.
MapsOpener - causes all navigation links to open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.
NoSpot - to disable the Spotlight page if you never use it. I've been using iOS since mid-2009. After all that time, the only way I end up on the Spotlight page is by accident. NoSpot lets me turn it off.
Cyntact - for adding photos to my Contact list. It's easier for me to quickly find someone by picture, sometimes.
Barrel - for awesome icon transitions. When you swipe between pages it allows you customize different animations for the icons. It's actually pretty cool. Probably check out a youtube video of it.
Action menu - Adds additional options to the copy/paste bit for the iphone.
Activator - Pretty much endless options. Hit the volume up button to open x app, double click power button to open this app, etc. This in combination with springflash allows you to open the flashlight when your phone is locked,
Lastapp - Quickly switch previous app
SmallBanners - Makes banner notifications one-line height
WiCarrier - Shows current Wifi SSID in place of carrier
AutoProtect - Allows you to bypass Passcode on home wifi
ShowCase - Shows lowercase letters in keyboard when relevant
killBackground - makes low-memory devices way better. Android has always had Task Killers, and now Android 4+ has a CLOSE ALL button, even on devices with 2 GIGS of RAM. Why can't iOS? Many iOS devices have 256MB of RAM, and could really use a "close all" button. (I used remove background instead. I assume it does the same thing. You can add it as a toggle in SBsettings)

Don't forget the compatibly list for ios6 posted a few pages back

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsxLituOoyr9dGRaMk1YSWxYMk9RWmU3UHBwVWFVYkE&toomany=true#gid=0

Make sure you check that google doc's list.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

It took much longer to sync up all my apps/music than it was to jailbreak my 5.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the MobileSubstrate issue has pretty much made all 3 of my regularly used apps useless.

Still happy I'm jailbroken again though.

Edit: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/12/ios-7-jailbreak-evasi0n-mobilesubstrate-issues.html

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

They just pushed out a Cydia update, looks like MobileSubstrate is working now

Edit: iFile and TetherMe are working fine now, despite it saying it's incompatible with iOS7.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

As a reminder to anyone rushing to jailbreak iOS 7:

This is a "compromised" jailbreak.

At the minimum, it includes binaries for an "unofficial" Cydia (forked from saurik's source) and a Chinese App Store.

It's possible the evad3rs team allowed this Chinese company to bundle in their poo poo without knowing what any of it was. It could be limited to the hacked/cracked apps, or it could include other things that may be a lot worse.

@pod2g (one of the primary evad3rs) says he wasn't even aware of what is included in the jailbreak. That is a huge red flag - how could you not know what is in your own software? They have sold out, and given control of their name and domain to a Chinese group that paid them a *lot* of money.

The whole compromised and RED FLAG are both reasons I'm restoring back to stock. Holy poo poo.

Edit: I also just reset all my passwords for accounts stored on my phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 22, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

the kawaiiest posted:

Is this an actual thing or is it some kind of twitter rumor?

Apparently it's a CloudFlare site, and they host the evasion site.

Weird but not the weirdest thing in this JB.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

So it appears that we're doing a 180 again and saying that it's ok to jailbreak with evasion7

-Saurik and Geohot both have taken a look at the software and both have given the thumbs up.
-The weird costa rican IP actually resolves to the evader's website
-The guy who claimed that it was uploading data to some Chinese website has recanted and apologized.
-There are a few people who've run packet sniffers after install and found only a few DNS requests but no uploads.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 24, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I had to install the latest BiteSMS beta and reinstall mobile substrate for BiteSMS to work.

I'm on a 5 and not using bootstrap.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

iFile has been updated. It fixed my registration issues.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Laopooh posted:

I just upgraded (finally) from 5.1.? to 7.0.4 and jailbroke successfully. Since I've been out of the game for so long, what are the new must-have cydia apps/extensions that everyone likes?

f.lux
iFile
BiteSMS

Edit: and TetherMe which is the best bang for your buck tethering option.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 31, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

duffmensch posted:

Does TetherMe work on the 5s currently? Someone was saying that a large number of apps don't work on it yet.

I think TetherMe was just updated today for OS7 and 64bit support.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

They now have ILex restore which gives you a GUI and 2 buttons to push. Restore 1 just restores cydia to a stock state yet keeps everything else (data, settings, etc). Restore 2 wipes everything like a full system restore but keeps your JB intact.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Just installed this as well, as I mentioned earlier my battery is draining like crazy after jailbreaking. The process 'launchd' is taking up 56% of background activity. Isn't this part of Pangu?

Are you on an iPhone 5 or older? Supposedly this is affecting 32 bit iPhone users.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

bobfather posted:

It's really, really silly not to upgrade, but to each their own.

Pretty much this.

You can forgo your tweaks for a week or 2 while devs update them for iOS8. To hold off and stay on 7 and play the gambling game on 8.1.1 seems pretty risky.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Moose-Alini posted:

Actually, I would be pretty surprised if another jailbreak doesn't come out in the 8.x.x line. Maybe not 8.1.1, or soon, but we probably have a long time until 9 comes out.

I remember when iOS 7.1.x came out, people were saying jailbreaking would never happen again. And now we have jailbreaks for iOS 7.x.x AND 8.

It will happen, it just takes time. If there's a will (and a bunch of Chinese hackers), there's a way.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

VZW = 8.1.2 GSM IPSW

I just did it on my VZW 5S a few days ago after I heard 8.1.3 had dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I seriously doubt iOS will ever be un-jailbreakable as long as there are groups like Taig working on it.

I just remember when iOS 7 came out that people were saying jail breaking is finished.

• Locked thread