Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

nerdrum posted:

Is their an easier way of jailbreaking 4.2.8 yet or is it still downloading six seperate files and a bunch of bullshit gizmos and gadgets? I just want a one click :(

You can download the pre-made custom firmware from this place (haven't used this specific one but it should all be the same)
http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/05...download-links/

Then put the phone into dfu mode by following this
http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-enter-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/
And shift/option + restore in itunes with the downloaded firmware after clicking 'yes check for update for the phone in recovery mode'.

I think redsn0w isn't out yet for 4.2.8 but the above isn't too hard is it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but for people who doesn't care it's as hard as learning unix/linux to them.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's too much work. Just add the insanely repo (google that) and it will have a new version of mobile terminal that works.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Check your host file for the gs.apple.com?

And a clean shift-restore with a custom jailbroken firmware should help with the battery issue if it's not caused by random apps in the background.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Kailtor posted:

A lot of people take My3G or 3G Unrestrictor for granted when they jailbreak and then forget about it even being turned on (unlimited data HEH) - but this is also a big reason to jailbreak still.

International calling? what's that? I can't hear you over my international video chat/facetime calls with my3g enabled on both ends :smug:

Seriously I think I've saved a bunch of money by using this feature alone, and it's even more convenient than other voip stuff as it's tied to the phone app. Even if your coverage is a bit slow or spotty, pressing the home button and turn facetime into a audio-only call will smooth things out a lot more.

This plus iMessage will save the user a lot of money.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 8, 2011

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Switched.on posted:

So I just updated my jailbreak to 4.3.1 and now it says I only have 1 bar of service all the time. The thing is, I'm not sure if this is accurate because my phone seems to be working fine anyways. Is this normal? Fixable?
Seems like you've kept your old baseband with a custom made jailbroken firmware.

If you want to fix it properly and doesn't mind upgrading the baseband, you'll need to do a clean 4.3.3 restore with an original firmware, then jailbreak that. I'd do a clean 4.3.3 install then jailbreak it by using another custom jailbroken firmware.

If you do want to keep your old baseband, you can do so by installing some signal fix within cydia. But yeah ultrasn0w will make the phone a bit screwy.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Switched.on posted:

Is the signal thing purely cosmetic? Or is my signal actually worse? I can't really tell...

It's just cosmetic, but it's annoying especially if you are in an area where you know you will have spotty coverage, or if you are on a carrier that will drop call frequently any time you are indoors :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Settings>General>Reset> and Reset all network setting after restoring from your backup?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

Looks like all the links posted for 4.3.3 for ipad2 are down, anybody got a copy?
This page has them all
http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/07/ipad-2-jailbreak-433-432-431-43.html

and I can confirm that it just boot you to springboard with nothing happening if you are using the 3G version :argh:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

El Jackalope posted:

I'm running my iPhone 4 with 4.2.1 jailbroken, and I really should update it to 4.3, but unfortunately iTunes gives me a type 3194 error whenever I try to update the phone. Should I just restore and then re-jailbreak? No big thing, just a bit of a pain in the butt.

Do you mean 4.3.3? You won't be able to upgrade to 4.3 because apple isn't signing them anymore.

From what I've seen, clean install of the new firmware and then restore from your old backup will keep your stuff intact like clicking 'upgrade' in itunes. Not to mention that the upgrade might cause some glitch too especially if you are jailbroken.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Unless you hosed up something badly, there really shouldnt be anything that the actual jailbreaking process will do besides adding an icon for cyida on the desktop.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Same goes for the original facebook app where the photos actually looks great now!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also remember to do a reboot. IIRC it requires a reboot before the host file can take effect.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tapedump posted:

Although, I think his dismissing how much trouble older, lower RAM iPhones have when trying to perform toe-to-toe with their 4G counterparts.

Which one? 3GS runs pretty well and almost as fast as the 4 in most uses while 3G and 2G (same processor/RAM) are ancient by today's standard. It's amazing that they will even run 3.x/4.x at all.

Just try and think of some android (or any other smartphone really) that came out around the same time as 3G, July 2008.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Warranty is probably the last thing you need to worry about right now :ohdear:

Also you can always restore your phone by doing a DFU restore with stock firmware. If you can't do that, they it probably means you have a bigger problem and unlikely for them to verify your jailbreaking status anyway.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Waffle Zone posted:

But, I thought iTunes won't let me restore 4.2.1 unless I have the SHSH blob and my phone is not currently jailbroken so I cannot get it.

Edit: I'm going to try using PwnageTool for 4.2.1 before I ask for help again.

Edit2: Yeah, I get the same error for jailbreaking 4.2.1 in PwnageTool.
If your phone is running 4.2.1 right now then iFaith will be able to pull the shsh off your phone even if apple isn't signing it anymore, then you can restore with a custom/jailbroken 4.2.1 firmware

To download
http://ih8sn0w.com/

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

I never saved my baseband because I was on the understanding that keeping it OG was for people that unlocked their phones to use on TMob and the likes, which isn't an issue since this is a Verizon phone and won't be allowed on any other carrier without some majorly illegal poo poo.

Why can't I restore iOS4?

Different version of the firmware might require/expect different baseband. Version mismatch is probably breaking the signal. IIRC old basebands on 3GS/4 with newer version iOS meant broken signal bar, and the only way to 'fix' that was to install ultrasnow, even if ultrasnow didn't unlock the phone or if you are just using legit sim card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Jailbroken stuff like winterboard/themes will take quite a bit of memory by themselves. Since you have it jailbroken, you probably the shsh whatever blob saved too, so try and just do a clean restore on stock 5.1.1 and see?

• Locked thread