Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

status posted:

This is exactly what did it for me. I was having huge problems with my keyboard until I shut all the screen gestures off (besides status bar ones for SBS)

I hadn't even thought to try that, but turning off the Lockinfo's Infoshade "swipe down to activate" made my home button is a lot more responsive to single clicks.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lord Noodle posted:

Wow, thank you for this... Seriously, I could not figure out what was going on with my home button. Seems 100% more responsive so far.

Switching to "double tap status bar" fixed all of my issues, and I still get to use infoshade since it's actually pretty handy for checking emails in other apps.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Vertigus posted:

Is there a jailbreak app that works like Beyondpod on Android? I want my phone to automatically download new podcasts every morning at 8am.

You don't even have to jailbreak. Search the app store. Podcaster, for example.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

adm posted:

In LockInfo check out General -> Dismiss Previews or in Popup Blocker go to the Home Button panel.

Enabling that makes the home button unresponsive in the same way that using swipes to call the Lockinfo "shade" used to.

Ugh, Activator.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

adm posted:

hmm? Activator is easy to customize, just go in and clear all the settings and add what you want. The programs set those themselves, they aren't defaults in Activator. Or am I misunderstanding?

Lockinfo has a few options that can be called via Activator. They're set in the Lockinfo settings and don't appear in or reset with the Activator settings. Several of them make the home button generally unresponsive, especially when the phone is locked.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Kailtor posted:

Are there any other random options like this which would make the home button unresponsive? I didn't know about this one and it has finally fixed my home button. I know any activator settings regarding the home button will do it, but I'm talking about these apparently invisible to activator settings.

Most ways to call up "Infoshade," which is a way to see Lockinfo in any app, mess up the home button.

I tweeted the lockinfo dev and he basically said, "then don't use infoshade."

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This and the respring button. I don't think there's any other way to respring, which is important if you're on a tethered jailbreak.

This is going to sound insane BUT, if you create a folder by dragging two apps on top of each other, there's a split second when you can drop Newsstand into that new folder.

Launching Newsstand from a folder crashes the springboard, so I've been using that to respring.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheChipmunk posted:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Siri dictation running on iPhone 4/3GS etc. At least check this out: http://www.redmondpie.com/install-siri-dictation-on-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-and-ipod-touch-4g-using-siri0us/

I'm not sure how legit it is or what exactly its interfacing through. Also, I don't really get how its doing dictation if its not connecting to Apple's servers...

Its not connecting to Apple's servers. It's just another dictation app running on the Nuance engine, trying to cash in by looking like Siri.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 28, 2011

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there any reason to use pdanet or mywi since Tetherme can enable the builtin BT and wifi tethering for like a buck?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

iLikeMidgets posted:

I've used MCbackup from the appstore. You can export contacts to Vcard or CSV and it will email you the file. Quick and simple.

Or sync them to gmail, if you're getting an Android device.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Paco de Suave posted:

I want to send/receive SMS on my ipad. Is there a program that will sync up with messages on my iphone and let me do this?

WifiSMS?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

NZP posted:

Thanks. I'm trying to restore because I think I've hosed this jailbreak up. I'm hitting restore (with CTRL held), navigating to the ipsw file and it's still telling me the iphone software update server is unavailable. What the gently caress?

Check your Hosts file. It's always your Hosts file. Remove any "gs.apple.com" lines.

(Wait, are you trying to restore to an earlier version with saved SHSH blobs? In that case you need the TinyUmbrella TSS server running locally. Why aren't you restoring to 6.1 the normal way? The current jailbreak still works.)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 14, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm assuming you've run TinyUmbrella before? If so, it's probably left a line in your hosts file redirecting authentication requests away from Apple. On Windows I think the hosts is in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. On a mac the hosts is in /private/etc/hosts. Make a copy of the file to be safe, then open it in a text editor and remove any lines containing gs.apple.com (on a Mac, paste "open -a TextEdit /private/etc/hosts" in the Terminal.)

Reboot maybe, and iTunes should be able to do a normal, no special keys or anything restore.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 14, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I didn't think I had a need for jailbreaking my iPad, but people keep handing me thumb drives of files at work, and it's really hurting my Air's usefulness as an only computer for traveling.

Assuming we ever see an iOS7 JB for the Air, are there usable tweaks for reading thumb drives with the Lightning camera connection kit, or should I quit dreaming of a laptop-free carrying bag?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't think those things are going to help me get files into the sandbox of an app that's not built for it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You didn't have to do all that legwork on my behalf, but thank you.

Unfortunately, I'm usually dealing with thumb drives full of audio files which I put in a hot key app called SoundByte. Unfortunately, SoundByte never shows upon the "open in" dialog. Your solution would work great for office files, but I'm an edge case.

It looks like the JB app iFile might do what I want if I enter a JB eventually. I just spent way too long watching a YouTube walk through called "iFile without jailbreak" narrated by a 5th grader, but it looks like his method was some bullshit "OpenAppMKT" thing that tries to charge money for a nonfunctional webapp with an iFile logo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Thanks. I bought it.

This really doesn't make sense. I'll go from 100% charged to 70% in the course of an hour at the moment. I'm not all spergy about battery percentage but when the health fluctuates like this, it is cause for concern.

Is an app typing up the GPS? I can easily kill my phone before lunch with too much navigation.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's no jailbreak for ios7.

Never pay for a jailbreak. They're either fake or repackaged free tools. A ripoff both ways, and maybe malware too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Several (most?) US carriers include tethering free if you're not clinging to a grandfathered unlimited plan.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Rumors? January. Early next year.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So if I'm only interested in a few app-type, non-tweak things out of a jailbreak, how much of that could I accomplish by just splitting the cost of a dev account with some like-minded people?

My real dream is having iFile to read thumb drives with the camera connection kit so I can ditch my laptop on the road. Emulators would be cool too.

I would gladly pay money to avoid the drama or worry about who the "good guys" are, but maybe I misunderstand what a JB actually does.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hunter x az posted:

There are zero malware / exploitative properties in this iOS JB. Just rumors that gained traction somehow.

Do you have first-hand knowledge?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

hunter x az posted:

Yes I'm jailbroken 7.0.4 on a 5S and have been monitoring network activity. Nothing unusual when doing typical phone tasks.

I'm glad you've settled it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

goodness posted:

This is also true. How does the signing thing work? Will I be able to just upgrade to 7.0 when the jailbreak is good or?

Hopefully a lot of Apple is on holiday break. You've probably got a few weeks until 7.1, unless this mess pushes their hand for some reason.

I'm all for just waiting for the bug fixes 7.1 brings and hoping to JB that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Now that so many US carriers have added tethering to their non-grandfathered plans, I'd bet the chances of another developer losing their account by slipping a HandyLight through are slim.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

89 posted:

I wasn't aware anything above 7.0 was anything significant..

If you might be stuck on a version for a while waiting for the next jailbreakable release, don't you want the latest version you can get?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This JB isn't like some previous ones that patched an IPSW to be shift+restored onto the device, so it's sufficient to just update to 7.0.3 and wait to see what happens in the coming weeks, right?

What I mean is, as long as you're updated, you shouldn't need to be in the signing window to JB later.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ibntumart posted:

I made the switch to iOS 7 and jailbroke my 4S tonight. And now I can't get the native Mail app to work. When I tap it, I get a white screen and then am kicked back to the home screen.

I had the same problem independent of JB. Going into account settings and toggling mail "off" for all them fixed it for me.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Now that iFile is updated, has anyone gotten it to read USB drives with a lightning camera connection kit?

I've heard that the official lightning>USB adapter doesn't work, but third-party multicard+USB adapters do because they have some microprocessor inside for some layer of translation or something.

Unfortunately, all the multi card readers look like garbage. No model numbers to reliably identify them, and all I've found are broken photobucket links to images of other peoples' tested adapters.

So, anyone know if any of these poorly-rated things on Amazon actually works? Preferably one with wire in the middle rather than a fat, rigid block.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hamburlgar posted:

And to top it off, iH8sn0w has posted their source code on their website...

Don't you think Apple has enough smart people to figure out how the JB works without the source?

The transparency is a good thing from a user's perspective.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ibntumart posted:

How likely is AT&T to notice someone using TetherMe or something similar? I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan. :ohdear:

How often are you going to run up 10gigs of usage or otherwise draw attention to yourself?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

goodness posted:

Can't you make your any iPhone 5 onwards into a personal hotspot? Why so do you need to tether.

Grandfathered unlimited plans.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

goodness posted:

Is there a limit on the personal hotspot ?

It's not allowed. The option is in Settings, but trying to toggle it produces a "Contact your carrier" message.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

AHungryRobot posted:

Is there any free tweak/app that will let me download things in Safari?

There's one on the opening page of Cydia in the featured apps list. Pending update so I can't see the price, but it gets you $2 off iFile, which will be necessary to do much with the downloaded files.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

eddiewalker posted:

Now that iFile is updated, has anyone gotten it to read USB drives with a lightning camera connection kit?

I've heard that the official lightning>USB adapter doesn't work, but third-party multicard+USB adapters do because they have some microprocessor inside for some layer of translation or something.

Unfortunately, all the multi card readers look like garbage. No model numbers to reliably identify them, and all I've found are broken photobucket links to images of other peoples' tested adapters.

So, anyone know if any of these poorly-rated things on Amazon actually works? Preferably one with wire in the middle rather than a fat, rigid block.

In case anyone else is interested, this one works: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CROC9JC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It throws an "unsupported" error but after that, I have iFile reading from a thumb drive, which was one of my must-have JB features. Unfortunately, unplugging the card or adapter without ejecting in iFile forces the iPad to completely reboot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there a tweak to increase the accessory power available through the dock port?

I know it used to be higher, but at some point Apple limited it to 20mA with a software update.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BrainDance posted:

Like console emulators? That's mostly what I jailbreak for and yeah they work like normal.

Retroarch just got released with an N64 core that actually works, not like that other poo poo N64 emulator (which just crashes when I try to load a game on my iPad 4.)

Only problem is Bluetooth controllers are broken in this build. It might be an issue with btstack. But Bluetooth controllers work fine with all the .emu emulators.

If you got a 5s or air you might have to use a beta of btstack though, and I don't think it's on a repo. Just a deb floating around. But, I don't have one of those so I dunno, btstack works fine now on my iPad 4.

The BTstack guy said on twitter that the jailbreak caught him off guard and he won't have a chance to work on updating until sometime February.

I'm pretty sure that's why snes9x doesn't work with a wiimote too, but screen buttons are fine.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BrainDance posted:

Hmm, snes9x does work with a wiimote for me, with the classic controller.

Played some 2 player Mario kart just a couple days ago with it.

Are you on a 64bit device?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You want to remove the option of in-app purchases so kids don't accidentally buy them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Tanri Fen posted:

I meant to bypass paying for them

I was trying to help you.

• Locked thread