Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

mewse posted:

Winterboard is a mess

I couldn't agree with this more. Winterboard seems to cause more problems than it's worth..I'd say avoid it if at all possible till its updated to even work on 4.0

^^
For what its worth, my home button is poo poo on both my personal jailbroken iPhone 4 and my brandy new work vanilla iPhone 4.

I think we're just holding it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Richman777 posted:

Also, holy crap is the new safari buggy as hell. This post took forever because the second I got out of the text area it froze. Froze a bunch with autocomplete.

You should be using the Awful app to post and that wouldn't be an issue. :)

Seriously though, hopefully that is just some beta nonsense that will be ironed out once it goes GA

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Well it is a beta for a product that is not due to launch for a few months. I bet a lot of those concerns will be addressed. If not in 5.0, then 5.x

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

LamoTheKid posted:

Obviously its a refurb but goddamn if Apple doesn't have awesome customer service.

One Time I went to talk to the Geniuses to replace my broken iPhone charger. Apparently their systems were down so they couldn't give me a new charger. They told me come back another time.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
When I went back I asked for a new charger, they took one out of a random drawer.

I guess they need computers for that.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

withak posted:

Aside from using one of the signal strength apps (which also might be affected by whatever is messing with the regular signal bars), there isn't really any way to tell whether you really have a one-bar signal or a five-bar signal until you can't actually make or receive calls.

Yeah but its certainly better than Ultrasn0w breaking voicemail and who knows what else.

I am so tempted to just update the baseband but I've gone almost a whole year now with the original unlockable one, so I might as well just deal with it till September ...

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Israfil posted:

Also, I was trying sn0wbreeze, and my AV program (BitDefender) caught it trying to install a trojan. Anyone know if this was an actual trojan, or just the program trying to do its job and setting off a false positive?

I promise you it's a false positive.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Or maybe people want to jailbreak for root and ssh access, which is reason enough for me to want to jailbreak an iPad.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Over The Road posted:

Is there anything out there which will allow me to run an iPhone app in portrait whilst my iPad is in landscape?

Basically I want to be able to play game dev story whilst my iPad is in it's case on my desk.

Isn't this a core iOS4 feature? Double tap home and swipe to the left? See the circle with the arrow?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

EC posted:

To answer my own question, this in fact worked, although some of the stuff doesn't seem to apply. I managed to install XBMC and get that working, and performance was ok at best. Definitely worth it for a second bedroom, but I'm not sure I could stand it as a full time HTPC.

Can you do anything else cool with a JB'd Apple TV?

Display weather in an otherwise wasted piece of screen, as well as the ability to move the menus around and remove stuff you'll never use.

And obviously SSH access.

Like I've said before what would make JB ATV2s even better is if there was a tweak to allow MLB.tv to run thru a proxy to avoid blackout BS.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Hermi On Me posted:

Just did this yesterday to preserve my iPhone 4 baseband, but I used Pwnagetool. Once I got the connect to itunes stuff on my phone, I held the power button and the home button together for 10 secs, then released the power button (the top button) and held the home button for another 10 secs. The screen should look like its off. Then Pwnagetool finished it up for me.

I'm on 4.3.3 now with the 1.59.00 baseband, with Ultrasnow installed to fix signal bar issue, but now I can't send or receive any MMS texts, and occasionally my phone doesn't ring when I get a call. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix this, short of updating my baseband or just uninstalling Ultrasnow, but I'd like to keep my unlock if possible.

I am on 1.59.00 on 4.3.3 and I just deal with the signal bar issue. Ultrasnow breaks the phone, so I just deal with it.

I am this close to just updating the baseband though, because I have the old one for resale purposes only...

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

echobucket posted:

Start the Youtube app playing something, and exit. Now double tap home to bring up the multitasking bar.. Swipe to the left. Press the play button.

Also if you have headphones with a Mic/ answer button you can press the button once you minimized YouTube and it should start playing right away.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I definitely notice a performance hit on my iPhone when I get below ~100mb of RAM.

It makes no sense, but it definitely happens. Then one tap on my RemoveBG toggle in SBSettings and its all better, but it's sort of annoying.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
biteSMS makes a jailbreak necessary.

Also root and ssh access is pretty nice to just have if you ever want it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

keykey posted:

Aaah, well, it appears I have a 4.2.1 shsh in TinyUmbrella since this is the first update I've done in a while since my phone poo poo out on me yesterday. Would I be able to throw the phone in DFU mode and reload to 4.2.1?

Yes. Just make sure either TU is running with the TSS server, or your hosts file is pointing Apple to Cydia

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

coldfire07 posted:

Some of us can still install 4.0.0 and are on iOS 5 on 1.59.00 :smug:

I was on 1.59.00 until last night when I finally got sick of having only 1 signal bar for the sole purpose of being able to resell an unlocked phone that probably won't be worth much when I sell it anyways.

It's nice being able to see how many bars I actually have!

Also the semitethered iPhone 4 iOS 5 jailbreak works great for me, so far no issues whatsoever.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Oneiros posted:

I'm on 1.59.00 and iOS 5 and I don't have any signal bar issues :confused:. I am unlocked with untrasn0w, though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also, my dad has been trying to find a 4 still running 1.59.00 since the 4s came out. Stop shrinking the unlock-able phone pool you monsters! :argh:

Yeah ultrasn0w fixes it but then it also broke voicemail and other random stuff on the phone. Maybe it was fixed at some point I don't know, I just got lazy and realized this iPhone will be over 2 years old by the time I'll be selling it so how much more could a 3G unlockable phone get me anyways?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

G-Prime posted:

They still haven't fixed the VVM/MMS bugs with ultrasn0w on 1.59.00. I actually just uninstalled it a couple days ago for that reason. It also has a nasty bug where it'll drop your 3G IP address and absolutely refuse to pick up a new one until you uninstall ultrasn0w entirely. I tried absolutely everything I could think of to work around that and never found any other solution.

There you go. So I'm actually happy with my decision.

What else do the new basebands even do? Do people on newer basebands get better reception or are the updates simply to thwart unlockers? To me Apple would want people to unlock their phones because that means a potentially larger set of customers, right?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

Dumb question, but for tethered jailbreaks do you have to connect for resprings as well?

If not, maybe I'll give one of the tethered jailbreaks a try some time since I rarely reboot (still using 4.2.1 and it would be nice to try 5.0)

edit - nevermind, I found a post earlier in the thread that mentioned respringing is fine. Maybe i'll give iOS 5 a shot sometime soon

\/\/ thanks also

I'm semitethered on an iPhone 4 iOS 5.0 with no problems. I haven't had to reboot in the first 10 days or so, minus the initial reboots after installing lots of stuff

Just remember to check the status of the semi-tether every now and then since it seems to randomly deactivate

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Kazy posted:

Install NoNewsIsGoodNews.

I hid mine away in a folder? Maybe it only works because of folder enhancer?

Either way, semi-tether totally saved my life yesterday. I updated to the new v15 beta of biteSMS and my phone locked up when attempting to respring. I rebooted into semitether and was just fine to rock out with the Music app and make calls/texts till I got home and booted tethered.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Has anyone else with biteSMS and the newest lockinfo beta start to get duplicate lockscreen SMS notifications? I used to get just the biteSMS 'swipe to quick reply' ones but now all of the sudden I'm also getting "messages" notifications that show up underneath the biteSMS ones. I can't figure out what the hell is causing the dupes :/

I can get a screen shot in a little bit...

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

m0isty posted:

Yep, getting the same thing myself. I'm confident the Dev will sort it soon though.

Good stuff. I'm happy it's not just me. I'm sure the devs will fix it soon.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I know nothing about jailbreaking be gentle with me.

I've got an ancient (1st gen) ipod touch that only goes up to iOS 3.1.3. I've got songs in a Google Music account. I was hoping to use the touch, plugged into a stereo, as a nice way of playing that music.

Unfortunately the google music web app doesnt render properly with this version of iOS (i've seen at least one other person with the same issue asking for help). There are two apps on the market, but both require iOS 4.

Could jailbreaking this ipod offer any kind of solution? The possibility of a browser with better HTML5 support? Or anything else that might help?

GoMusic available for $.99 in the AppStore is absolutely boss for streaming from google music. Now you can even cache songs for offline playback. It also prefetches music so the next track starts almost immediately. Best $.99 I've spent in the app store

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

randyest posted:

GoMusic, like all the other google music apps, require 4.x, as he mentioned in his question.

1st gen 1pod touch is not authorized to upgrade to 4.x (and would probably run like poo poo with it if you could trick it into happening.)

Maybe http://www.whited00r.com/ would help?

I know how to read, I promise. You should try contacting the GoMusic dev about why it requires 4.x. He might be able to make it 3.x compatible. Given the amount of features this guy has added since the app's release makes me feel like the dev actually gives a poo poo and will go that extra mile to make you happy. He reminds me of Devs for jailbroken apps

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
What happens if I am on an iPhone 4 with the semitether on 5.0?

It looks like I'll have to do a full iTunes restore to 5.0.1 and re jailbreak?

What happens if I run the 5.0.1 OTA update on my semitether 5.0? I'd imagine that will break poo poo :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

randyest posted:

You mean the dpkg/apt thing I guess? I was hoping that 5.0 -> 5.01 was minor enough to do some kind of incremental update/JB combo to avoid having to un-lazy myself. No such luck, but not a big deal, thanks.

edit: well at least the update to 5.01 didn't kill anything except the JB and JB apps, so I can skip that one restore step. :shobon:

edit2: well all went well, but the cydia icon turned white. I "fixed" that using method A followed by B as explained here: http://www.limera1n.cc/2011/12/fix-white-cydia-icon-after-501-5.html

But, now the cydia icon has disappeared (though it is still findable in spotlight, and runs fine) and in the spot where cydia once was is the camera app icon ... which is now all white! :iiam:

Camera and cydia still work, so no biggie, but I seem to recall there was some icon-cache-clearing-resetting command one could run by ssh. But my googling isn't finding it. Any ideas?

edit3: removing cydia app "semitether" fixed it. Of course I don't need it anymore anyway.

So you were semitethered on 5.0, ran the 5.0.1 OTA update, re-jailbroke (untethered) with redsn0w, deleted semi-tether, and all was well?

I am semitethered on 5.0 and would love to go untethered on 5.0.1 but I am without my main PC for 2 weeks so I can't do the full restore route till then....

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

randyest posted:

Actually I used iTunes to update, but otherwise yes. I didn't restore or sync after the update.

Hmm cool, I'll give it a shot tonight.

I'm just afraid it won't boot after upgrading to 5.0.1 before re-jailbreaking with all my mobilesubstrate poo poo installed.

Has anyone else done the 5.0.1 update OTA on a 5.0 semi-tethered jailbreak? One confirmation that it works will make me feel allll better.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Who's excited?

pod2g pod2g
I made a step today for the A5. With some luck we could expect a release in a week.
2 hours ago

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Well he did just jailbreak the A4 so I would believe him more than anyone else...

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
If I am getting "no identifying data fetched" while trying to just boot tethered my iPhone 4 with redsn0w can I assume it is because the wifi on this Amtrack train sucks too much to connect to whatever servers it needs to connect to?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm running 5.0.0 tethered jailbroken on my iPod 4g. I've been hesitating to upgrade for the untether because of the work involved reinstalling apps, themes, tweaks etc.

Other than being untethered, what are the benefits to updating to 5.0.1? I don't feel any need to right now but knowing me I'll wait too long and then find out about some awesome feature I've been missing out on and have to wait for a new jailbreak to update again.

When I went from 5.0.0 tethered to 5.0.1 untethered all I did was press update in iTunes and then jailbroke and used apt-get (in the op) to get all my jailbreak apps back. No need to reinstall apps or anything like that. Took about 15 min from start to finish

It's nothing like pre-5.0 when you had to do a full restore. Now it seems like Update in iTunes only installs the delta upgrade despite having to download the full ipsw.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Jailbroke my iPad 2 with the CLI on windows. Took all of 4 minutes to complete.

Does anyone know if we can delete the VPN connection the jailbreak created?

And is RetinaPad worth the $2.99?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Yeah, I was kinda excited to finally use MyWi OnDemand. I had purchased it when it came out, but at that time I only had one iOS device; just a 3GS.

Now I have my 3GS, 4S, and two iPad 2s. I load up MyWi, and it just sits at "Now Discoverable" and "Waiting for OnDemand Clients".

My iPad 2s see the 4S, but the 4S never sees the iPad 2s.

Wow. I was just about to buy the OnDemand license. I guess I'll hold off till they fix it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Tapedump posted:

I'd like to get an ATV2 for XBMC. Can any off-the-shelf unit be jailbroken, or do I need to dig up one with a certain version of iOS?

Jailbreakmatrix lists conflicting info.

As long as it doesn't have the iOS update that released on Wednesday you should be good to go.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tethering talk: are the only options still just MyWi or TetherMe? I'm going to risk using one or two with my new iPad for some light safari browsing and maybe maps (aka only poo poo I can do on the iPhone as well) and hope AT&T doesn't throw a poo poo fit.

And as far as pairing goes, would it be better (battery wise) to go through wifi or Bluetooth?

I tether my iPad to my iPhone with mywi quite a bit. AT&T won't care unless you're torrenting or something like that. But for normal usage they won't care, I don't think they can even tell that you're tethering to be honest.

And I think Bluetooth uses the least battery. Whenever I tether I always use Bluetooth. It's just easier and you don't need to bother with a wifi password or anyone else hopping on your connection.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Chinook posted:

I'm also interested in this. I have a jailbroken iPad 2 (5.01, I believe), untethered, and it's possibly a selling point for certain people. I'd like to make it completely fresh, and not let that person have access to my notes, accounts, etc.

Me as well. I figured I'd be able to do a restore, but it looks like iTunes will only let me restore with 5.1. I'd really like to keep it at 5.0.1 so it can remain jailbreakable....but it doesn't seem possible.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS 5.01. I am trying to un-jailbreak it, but since iTunes keeps trying to push the 5.1 install as part of the restore, I get a message that the restoration failed. I have much more experience with fixing broken Android roots, and I don't know the first thing about advanced iOS restoration.

Anything obvious I am missing?

You can only restore to whatever iOS Apple is currently signing. So you can only restore to 5.1. You cannot restore to 5.0.1. Period.

edit: I realize that wasnt exactly your problem. Remove any apple related stuff from your hosts file

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Kazy posted:

I'm pretty sure this messes up the OS partition if you run it while jailbroken.

Nothing gets messed up; it just doesnt work. I tried doing this to sell my iPad 2 with a fresh jailbreakable 5.0.1, but it just sits at the apple spinny logo forever. Luckily I wound up selling it to a couple middle aged lesbians who never touched an iOS device before.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Restore through iTunes first to remove the jailbreak, then do reset all settings. I've done this hundreds of times.

But you can't restore to 5.0.1 which is what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Sorry I missed that! Are you just trying to preserve baseband or is there some other appeal to 5.0.1?

On my iPad 2 it was to maintain its jailbreak-ability for potential higher resale value.

• Locked thread