Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit - Ok on a whim deleted the last gs.apple line from the host file. I tried like 3x before but this time it worked. Not sure if it was a collaboration of efforts or what. Thank god.

Ok, can I get some help please?

I have a Iphone 4g 4.2.1 tethered (big mistake). I want to upgrade to 4.3.3.

I get error 3194. I open my host file and delete all the gs.apple lines. Still get the error.

I used ireb and redsnow to put into dfu recovery mode. When I used rednsnow I tried to restore to my original 4.2.1 firmware but got the 1013 error. Then I went and deleted whatever line it told me in google and I still get the 3194 error.

I can still boot tethered. In Tiny Umbrella I have the box "set hosts to cydia on exit (if you need a clean restore from apple)" checked which seems to do nothing.

Ugh, this is so aggravating. Any help please?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So if I used redsnow to jailbreak to 4.3.3 I can't unlock it as of now?

Welp, forecast says no so I guess not! Dang.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 14, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Everytime a new big OS comes out I just think of that all thread title "Jailbreaking - Apple stealing ideas since 2007" or whatever. Because I don't know why half the poo poo available via jailbreak wasn't on the iPhone years ago. They should pay these dudes

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress if I'll ever go to a non-jailbroken ios5 I need my irealsms. Unless that's somehow in 5

Meh, as with any jailbreak it's only a matter of time

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just got flu.x, awesome app. If you don't know what it is it's originally for PC (get it now) it adjust light levels with the time of day and just makes a soft more enjoyable glow.

Any other unknown awesome apps? I know winterboard and sbsettings but there's just so much crap on cydia.

Oh and myw

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It owns. You can bluetooth, tether, and have a wifi hotspot. How is that not worth $20?

Unfortunately assuming you have at&t they throttle your speed down a lot if you get in the top 5% of bandwidth users. Which seems surprisingly easy to hit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought the same but there'll be a moment that you wish you had it.

Plus throwing up a wifi hotspot owns

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Unless it changed you had to have a program on your computer to connect. It was annoying and buggy.

Works well enough though

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Holy poo poo im reading through old pages to find sweet apps (seriously why doesnt the OP list more awesome apps and a quick description?) and fakeclockup set to 1.6x is so awesome for non-ipad2 4s people

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

bazaar apparatus posted:

Whenever the A5 jailbreak releases, someone should start a new thread with all-new information and a better list of must-have apps.

Here's a quick run-down of poo poo I found while poking around or have used before that's not in the OP.

VLC - It's VLC media player, for the iphone. SSH or use software to get files into var/mobile/media.

Activator Set any kind toggle to activate any app. Literally any kind of gesture you could do with the iphone. I think most jailbroken apps pretty much require/include this now.

Autolock SBSettings - Don't think it's included with SBSettins. Adds a toggle to disable autolock. There's a whole section on cydia with nice SBSettings add-ons. Most jailbroken apps can have an off/toggle.

Cydelete - Delete cydia apps like regular apps with the wiggle.

flu.x - Amazing PC app on the iphone. "Flu.x warms your screen to match your lighting at night. Takes away the bright blue glow.

Fakeclockup - Speeds up animations. 1.6x seems to be the goon consensus on optimal speed. http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ is the repo to add to get it

Five icon Dock - It's five icons, in your dock.

Manual correct[/b[] - Only corrects your misspelled words if you click it.

Quickscroll 2 - Makes scrolling easier and adds a scrollbar. You can use a gesture to help.

Remove background - Click it to remove all apps from the background. You can add exceptions. There's also an sbsettings add-on for this which makes it easier.

[b]Springflash
- An LED backlit flashlight used with activator.

Now if I could just find a QWERTY keyboard upgrade with numbers....

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

You can just install it right from Cydia.

I misunderstood. Yeah you can just drag and drop from iTunes.

When you open the app that's what it says. I was t aware about the above. Ill have to try it out. gently caress convertig everything. Especially movies.

randyest posted:

This has been around forever, but I haven't tested it on 5.x http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/02/jailbreak-app-5row-qwerty-keyboard-adds-another-row-of-keys-to-iphones-virtual-keyboard.html

Google "5-row keyboard iOS" for more options. I have "5-row keyboard for ipad" on my 4.3.3 ipad2 and it's awesome; still waiting for an A5 jailbreak for my 4s to try some new 5.x options.

If you try some keyboard mods please to update the app list according to your iOS version and success:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US#gid=0

I installed a couple and they didn't work. One let me get some keyboard features but the 5row one wouldnt apply/work

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Weird. I didnt think apple would support something like that. What with mp4 and all.

Wait, even if we got it on cydia and not when it was in the appstore?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

In iTunes, click your device, click apps, scroll down. You should be able to select VLC and click the Add button on the side to just select and upload directly into the app. Every media player I've used on my iPhone works this way. My favourite isn't actually VLC which is kinda short on features, but Cinexplayer.

Christoff posted:

Weird. I didnt think apple would support something like that. What with mp4 and all.

Wait, even if we got it on cydia and not when it was in the appstore?

jojoinnit posted:

Yes.

Nope.

Or maybe appsync just isn't working for me right now

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I only got white icons/apps/whatever when I hid them with sbsettings and synced my phone/apps with my iTunes. I disabled hiding then and reboot and all was well

Barrel owns btw

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just remember with tethering and AT&T that when you hit the top 5% of data users, which seems real easy to hit, they'll throttle your speeds quite drastically. They'll send you a bunch of texts warning you and bleh it's annoying. I swear I've hit that "limit" at 2-3 gigs. So, while it is unlimited. It's slow as poo poo when they throttle it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Deepfried posted:

This. Even having used (and still using) Activator, I don't know how I ever lived without Zephyr.

Also those looking for additional Siri functionality AssistantExtensions (free) is fantastic, much more advanced and reliable than SiriToggles. Allows toggles, launching apps, send tweets, search YouTube + more even from your lock screen.

More info and video here:

http://cydiahelp.com/assistantextensions-is-by-far-the-best-siri-jailbreak-tweak-video/

I might give zephyr a try. I use activator and lastapp since it was mentioned here. It takes a couple tries but works well enough. I have swipe from bottom right for last app, bottom left for the multitask, and swipe directly up to get to the home screen

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zephyr owns.

Try it out if you want quicker multi-tasking

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Again, why can't we have all of the useful apps added to the OP? It's not even worth going through the crap on cydia. A bunch of us have poster apps and a brief detail of what they do

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

Speaking of cool apps, I really don't regret picking up CallBar. It still lets me play games/read while not having to outwardly decline a call, or accept and switch back to my stuff. Plus, it looks almost iOS 5 native, so that's always a plus.

Callbar is great and I definitely recommend it. You can hit answer/decline then if you do answer bring up options (mute, bluetooth, etc) or go to the regular conversation bit. If you hit the volume button or lock button it just ignores it instead of dismissing it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Finally got the "we've noticed you're continuing to enjoy the tethering feature with your smartphone. Your plan has been updated" etc etc on my iphone.

I haven't tetherered for like a month or two. Do I really have to call them to make sure they don't add the tethering fee or what? I've found a ton of articles about it via google but none actually state what happens. if they actually do anything or if it's just just a threat

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If anyone cares or is curious about the "process," I finally stopped being lazy and called AT&T about the tethering and losing my unlimited data. I know they've been doing this for a while but I just recently got the notice.

It was pretty much -

"Yeah I tethered blah blah I haven't tethered since the warning."

"Ok you were scheduled do be enrolled into the 3gb data plan on ___ date but since you haven't tethered since I'll make the no later than date today"

"Ok so if I don't tether anymore from here on out I'll keep my unlimited data? Sounds good, thanks. Have a nice day"

I'm not sure if the number in the text was some direct number about the issues but they immediately knew that's why I was calling.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Does that actually work? I'm too scared to risk losing unlimited data :(

Shame I paid for mywi too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you want to tether it's $50 regardless of how little bandwidth you want

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Etrips posted:

Is MyWi still the best tethering app? Last I heard carriers were cracking down on people tethering and they were mostly using MyWi.

Mywi is the best, yeah, but if you have grandfathered unlimited data and don't want to lose it be careful. Seems like it's one warning then that's it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gohmak posted:

Have there really been cases of this? I just thought you run through your 3/5gigs and get throttled to .7mbps for the rest of the month.

It seems they'll flag you regardless of how much data you use. They throttle after whatever gigs it is regardless of how you got there.

I got an email, text, and letter warning me I'd be switched to a 3 gig/tether plan unless I called. Called and it was pretty much oh you were tethering don't do it again Tsk tsk. Google tells me a lot of people do in fact lose unlimited after the 2nd warning.

So do whatever you want. I went a year of intermittent mywii use. Some people maybe use 10 gigs a moth and haven't gotten a warning. But just realize if you care about your unlimited data or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

quote:

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
The person requesting the unlock is:
A current AT&T customer, or
A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.
The iPhone was designed for use on the AT&T network.
All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied.
The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

I just submit my request. So we'll see.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I miss flux, irealsms, and zephyr a lot. I keep trying to swipe up to close apps.

Action menu + spring flash
Barrel
Cydelete (delete cydia apps like a regular app
Taptounlock

What would fakeclockup be like on the 5!?

I assume we'd have to wait for all these apps to be updated to work on the 5?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah if you tether with AT&T jailbreakng they'll take away your unlimited data the 2nd offense. Stupid we can't pay for tethering somehow without losing it.

I racked up 6 gigs this month somehow so I don't want to lose it. LTE I guess.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok so what is the official word on upgrading to 6.1? I'm at 6.0.2. For the jailbreak you guys bickered for 2 pages about it but there wasn't a clear answer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean for those of us wanting to upgrade to 6.1 before the jailbreak

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Random question. If we're on the iPhone 5 we'd have to wait for apps to be updated for the 5 or?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's a social experiment, guys!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hell yeah!

I was duped by the bogus site. :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:woop: :woop:

Klowns posted:

As expected the download servers are being slamed and the download speed is poo poo, so I'm hosting them as well:

Windows

Mac

Linux

:hfive:

Pretty excited to jailbreak the 5

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well that was easy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wait, nevermind, i've been stuck at "finding offsets" for about 5-10 mins now

Nevermind it finally went

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Klowns posted:

I'm also getting stuck at the logo during a power up but did get back in on the second go, not much of a problem since I might restart my phone once every two months.

Yeah I was stuck for a while but started up fine on the 2nd go.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Every nerd with an iPhone on the planet is jailbreaking and hammering Cydia's server(s) right now. Expect not being able to do anything with Cydia for the next 48 hours or so.

Personally, iPhone 4 6.1 jailbreak went smoothly for me! Looking forward to FakeClockUp again!

Fakeclockup is going to be ridiculous on the iphone 5

Is the recommended speed to use going to be different or no?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Are there any whizbang must-haves for jailbroken 6.1? Or I guess announced stuff that may be cool? I haven't jailbroken in a couple of years, as the notifications on the lockscreen were my primary reason for jailbreaking. I don't need tethering, and never messed with sbsettings or whatever its called. So I'm trying to figure out what I may be missing out on.

A lot. This needs to be in the OP. It's like you people need to be convinced to jailbreak.

3G Unrestrictor/MY3g - gets rid of the silly "WiFi only" limitations of many apps. If I have nearly-unlimited data and a 10 Mbps+ cellular connection, why force me to download everything on the lovely 0.5 Mbps public WiFi I'm sharing with a hundred people???
biteSMS/irealsms - Respond to a text from lockscreen or while in any app. Among a ton of other things. I purchased irealsms years ago when it was the go-to one. Now it seems like bitesms is a lot more popular.
BytaFont - to pick different fonts, and WinterBoard to pick different icons. It can give an OS that has looked the same since 2007 a fresh appearance.
CyDelete - Delete cydia apps like an apple app (jiggle, click x, etc)
f.lux - Adjusts light levels throughout the day for a more pleasurable view(It's originally an awesome computer program that you should use)
Five Icon Dock
FolderEnhancer
iFile
LockInfo
MyWii - Tetherning. A word of caution for AT&T users, though. They will take away your unlimited data
SBSettings - Swipe title bar (Or whatever you call where the time is) to bring a menu to do multiple things like turn data off/on, wifi, go into airport mode, etc. A lot of apps have toggles that you can add to this as well. It also does a lot of other things. Everyone jailbroken phone should have it
ncsettings - like sbsettings. I haven't used it yet personally. Some people like it better apparently it's a much cleaner look
Zephyr - Swipe up to simulate hitting the home button. Swipe left to right to go between background apps. I can only imagine how much better this will work on the iphone 5. It lagged a bit on the 4.
Fakeclockup - Speed up the iphone animations making your iphone seem like it's superwhizbangfast. Worked great on the 4 can only imagine it on the 5. 1.4x seems to be a good ip5 speed
Winterboard - If you don't know what this is don't jailbreak your phone.
MapsOpener - causes all navigation links to open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.
NoSpot - to disable the Spotlight page if you never use it. I've been using iOS since mid-2009. After all that time, the only way I end up on the Spotlight page is by accident. NoSpot lets me turn it off.
Cyntact - for adding photos to my Contact list. It's easier for me to quickly find someone by picture, sometimes.
Barrel - for awesome icon transitions. When you swipe between pages it allows you customize different animations for the icons. It's actually pretty cool. Probably check out a youtube video of it.
Action menu - Adds additional options to the copy/paste bit for the iphone.
Activator - Pretty much endless options. Hit the volume up button to open x app, double click power button to open this app, etc. This in combination with springflash allows you to open the flashlight when your phone is locked,
Lastapp - Quickly switch previous app
SmallBanners - Makes banner notifications one-line height
WiCarrier - Shows current Wifi SSID in place of carrier
AutoProtect - Allows you to bypass Passcode on home wifi
ShowCase - Shows lowercase letters in keyboard when relevant
killBackground - makes low-memory devices way better. Android has always had Task Killers, and now Android 4+ has a CLOSE ALL button, even on devices with 2 GIGS of RAM. Why can't iOS? Many iOS devices have 256MB of RAM, and could really use a "close all" button. (I used remove background instead. I assume it does the same thing. You can add it as a toggle in SBsettings)
bolt - Takes away the battery in the top bar. Adds a lighting bolt when you're charging. (Springtomize will do this - Sans the lightning bolt)
icleaner - "So if you have a mac, the chances are you will have heard of the infamous app ‘Clean My Mac’ and this is essentially what his cydia utility ‘iCleaner’ does for your device. It will remove all system files which are no longer in use, e.g logs, caches etc. which all amount to a large amount of pointless data. iCleaner is a very useful little utility, and is available for free from the BigBoss repo."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbmCPR06U4
nitrous- iOS (Jailbroken): One of the big complaints about running a third party browser like Chrome on the iPhone is that it's always a little slower because Apple blocks third party apps from using its Nitro Javascript Engine. Nitrous is a new jailbreak tweak that adds that functionality into any app you want.
With Nitrous installed, any app that accesses the internet can get access to the Nitro Javascript Engine through the Settings page. This includes all your browsers, like Chrome, but also any other app that uses a webkit browser, like Facebook or Twitter.
I can't say I've noticed any different, even placebo, but who knows. Apparently noticeable boost in the awfulapp.
tcpoptimizer - TCP Optimizer which is a small tweak that supposedly makes streaming youtube videos faster on your iOS device. Engineered by the same fellas who made pushfix the tweak has some credibility behind it.
To download the tweak add http://cydia.pushfix.info/ to your cydia sources and install via the newly added repo.
springtomize 2 - Tweak almost everything on your iphone. Gets rid of a lot of those apps you have that do one thing. " you’ll be able to customize all kinds of features of your SpringBoard, such as your device’s animations, capabilities, features of the dock, features of the lock screen, features of your icons, features of your folders, features of your App Switcher, features of your Status Bar, features of Notification Center, and a whole lot more."
Zeppelin - Change the carrier logo. Not to text
http://www.teamsphone.com/apple-ios/zeppelin-jailbreak-tweak-to-change-carrier-logo-of-iphone-5094.html
Auxo - Great multi-tasking app. It's best to just watch the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Q_97exnJk
RespringCacheFix - http://chrislowthian.co.uk/fix-the-ios-6-1-respring-bug-with-respringcachefix/422/

Don't forget the compatibly list for ios6 posted a few pages back

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsxLituOoyr9dGRaMk1YSWxYMk9RWmU3UHBwVWFVYkE&toomany=true#gid=0

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

adm posted:

To add:

SmallBanners
WiCarrier
AutoProtect
ShowCase

Can we get a small description? I'll try to update my last and maybe we can put it in the op

• Locked thread