Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've been having some issues as well that are definitely JB related. Ever since upgrading to 4.3.2 on my IP4, MobileSubstrate will crash randomly, usually when I get a bitesms text during a call. Or, sometimes, a bitesms text(one I've already gotten minutes ago), will pop up again randomly. If I X out or click out, it crashes and has to respring or restart.

It's definitely JB related since I didn't change my programs list from 4.2. Plus it runs pretty slow, at least for me. I might just upgrade to 4.3.3 and re-JB when I have time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Kind of half-jailbreaking related, since it involves themes. Does anyone know of a good Photoshop guide in regards to creating icons? A lot of themes I have tried obviously don't have every icon but include PSD templates.

I'd really like to learn how to make my own vs going through a 100+ page thread on modmyi.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just to clarify for my upcoming iPad 2 purchase, 4.3.5 is the current firmware on all Wifi/CDMA/GSM iPads and cannot be jailbroken? The OP was a bit confusing, stating that there is no untethered jailbreak for 4.3.5, yet then states that the firmware cannot be jailbroken period.

So aside from finding a white whale on 4.3.3, my best bet is to wait for 5.0 to jailbreak?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

My 4 has been noticeably more snappy ever since installing the 5.0 GM. I can't tell if it's due to the new OS or because I only have SBSettings installed vs 100 JB tweaks. My guess is the latter.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A quick question regarding the beta repos, such as BigBoss or BiteSMS. If I add the beta repos now, and receive the respective updates, are the repos or Cydia smart enough to switch you over to the 'official' release when it becomes available? Or do you have to remove the beta source, and install the final release manually?

I'm just a little confused since you're pulling updates for 1 app from 2 different sources.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm curious to see if we'll see an iPad 2 // 4S jailbreak in the near future.

I'm guessing either it's hard to exploit the A5 chip or they've been holding onto something new until iOS 5 and the 4S came out. Either way, no new Jailbreak since 4.3.3 means something.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I definitely forgot what being tethered is like. Not a mere 20 posts above my last was it warned of and I turn my phone off as a result of it vibrating during class. Now, why is it taking so long to boot up? :doh:

Redsn0w and 5.0 IPSW in my school's library right now. :3:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

gypsyshred posted:

Your teacher wouldn't be satisfied with you putting it on vibrate/silent?

We were doing a behavioral neuroscience study that was monitoring brain waves and response times. She didn't want anything screwing with the data, which makes sense. Silent would have been fine, I just simply forgot about it and dumbly turned my phone off from vibrate.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm glad they're making progress on both the jailbreak itself(iPad 2/4S) and the untethered exploit. I was starting to get nervous for a bit but the tweets in the past 2 weeks or so are good to hear.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I've never had a problem transferring stuff from Cydia for the most part. Most only require the Amazon/Gmail account you bought it with and its smooth. Providing you have the same phone number, biteSMS is smooth as well. iBlacklist is a pain and can be hit or miss. They try to get you to buy another license because its only '1 per device', plus English is not their first language and response times are slow.

I hope the jailbreak works with 5.0.1. My iPad2 has been updated via TU but I forgot to grab 5.0 on my 4S. :doh:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

EDIT: Ehh I'm speaking purely from a phone standpoint. There might be more reason to jailbreak on an iPad.

Xenomorph pretty much nailed my list as well, so I'm not going to do a huge re-post of that. However, my main thing is having 'total' control of my phone. Yes, I know not all jailbreak tweaks play with each other and I'm fine with that. Its like a Windows PC, right? I've restored to stock iOS plenty of times and realize that things just run smoother, IMO.

Apple/Steve wanted a device that Joan Soccermom could use and make sure nothing would mess up and be the easiest to use, not something techie nerds like goons would want to jailbreak/root. That's simply not Apple. Hell, Steve didn't even want to allow user-created apps on the iPhone at first. But, in doing so, it alienates people like those in this thread, albeit small, who enjoy tweaking things like their phones/PCs/tablets/etc.

That's my reason for jailbreaking. :)

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

iLikeMidgets posted:

Are we fine if we have 5.0.1 shsh saved? Or should upgrade now just to be safe?

I'm pretty sure that SHSHs don't work on 5.0+. They've been telling people to save them anyways in case an exploit is later found. So yeah, I'd upgrade to 5.0.1 for all my devices.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A5 Jailbreak just dropped for OSX.

quote:

p0sixninja posted:

OSX version of A5 jailbreak posted on greenpois0n.com

Windows version coming soon

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 20, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm pretty sure downgrading on 5.0+ can't be done now, IE 5.0.1 to 5.0 or soon, 5.1 to 5.0.1. The Dev team said to save SHSHs via TU anyways in case they get it to work in the future.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

gently caress iBlacklist. I've probably used it 3 times after buying it in 2010, and now they want a $6 license-transfer fee to destroy my 3GS license and enable it on my 4S.

Great. I just emailed them today for a transfer. I had to beg over ~7 emails to exchange my license from my IP4 to an Applecare replacement IP4 about a year ago. gently caress them if so.

No other Cydia Dev pulls this poo poo, IIRC.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Speaking of cool apps, I really don't regret picking up CallBar. It still lets me play games/read while not having to outwardly decline a call, or accept and switch back to my stuff. Plus, it looks almost iOS 5 native, so that's always a plus.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

I installed Sparrow+ to make Sparrow my default mail app and while composing from a site works, the notification center and lockinfo still use the default mail app. Am I missing something or is that the best outcome?

Stupid question but did you go into the Sparrow+ settings and turn on the 'Default Mail' option? I'm running the latest version of Sparrow, Sparrow Push and Sparrow+. No issues with either Lockinfo or notification center after testing just now.

Other than that, I can't think of what would be causing the issue.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 9, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

Yeah this is odd. Sparrow also isn't showing up in the notification menu even though Sparrow Push is installed. Do I have to turn on Sparrow Push as well? I'm running 5.1.1 by the way.

Try it with Sparrow push because looking through my stock mail and Sparrow settings, I'm not finding anything else about notifications. Lockinfo doesn't seem to have anything either.

e: Oh, I'm on 5.1.1 too

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone had problems with apps crashing after this latest jailbreak? Some were Apple's(Safari) and others were well known such as Fahrenheit weather and Words with Friends.

Before anyone asks, no they aren't cracked/pirated. WWF randomly works now but Fahrenheit won't despite re-installing from the App Store and some reboots. No one is complaining in the reviews however...

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Is there a way I can filter out themes on Cydia?

Cydia->Sections->Edit

Turn on/off parts of themes that you want to. I don't think there is a way to filter out specific themes though, except of course, search.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Less incentive/excuse to upgrade to a 6 or 6+. First it was the money, now its the size/carrier issues. I may stick with my 5S for a bit. Feel like I'm getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm actually interested in the dialogue between i0n1c and comex, unless this is something that's been known about for awhile.

i0n1c posted:

@comex keep in mind it is pangu. They usually intentionally overwrite/corrupt kernel Mach o header, not patch task for pid to hinder others.

@comex you still don't get that they get paid top dollars for jailbreaks and someone else releasing means them losing lots of money

• Locked thread