Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
I now have an iPhone 4 running 4.3.5 (BB 4.10.01), unlocked on Telus in Canada. I'm definitely having some issues. As far as I know, right now, I can't update to any version of iOS 5 and keep it unlocked. That's alright for now.

My major issues are 1) my data doesn't work. If I'm not using WiFi this phone is useless outside of sending standard text messages and 2) Safari won't open. When I press the icon, it opens for about half a second and immediately closes.

The person who bought this phone for me had it unlocked in the mall (eh?). The phone and texting works, essentially nothing else does when not on WiFi (and in the case of Safari, not at all).

Any suggestions? I've been Googling and taking in as much information as I can but some of it is beyond me and the rest I'm not sure I want to do/try and gently caress up the ability to use this phone right now.

Ninja Edit: Can I turn the phone off, remove the SIM card, turn the phone back on ans not have any issues? I bought an iPhone SIM card from Telus and have that Gevey thing the guy in the mall did.

Thanks.

Real Edit: Last thing. I used PwnageTool 5.0.1 to create a custom IPSW to preserve the BB, after this I entered DFU mode to update the firmware and when I tried to use the custom one I get the "device isn't eligible..." error. I also Googled that and found all the TinyUmbrella and HOSTS info and none of those allowed the device to not be denied the update. I'm either way wrong on what I'm doing to begin with or I'm really slow, because I feel I'm doing this properly.

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

Your problem (presuming you didn't save 5.0.1 SHSH blobs) is that your window of opportunity is closed and Apple are no longer signing 4.x (meaning you can't restore) or 5.0.1 (meaning you can't upgrade), and 5.1 is a tethered jailbreak.

Your only two choices are to keep it on 4.x, or create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu. This will work, but your phone will have to be connected to your PC so you can click "Just Boot" every time you power on or reboot your phone.

You might be able to fix your data by emailing this file to yourself and opening it on your phone.

Thank you very, very much for the information.

Based on this info, is it safe to assume I'm hosed for 5.1 FOREVER or will I be able to complete an untethered jailbreak/unlock as soon as the stuff is released to the public?

Edit: So I did what you said RE: 'create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu' -- still getting that "device isn't eligible..." error. What the cock?!

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 1, 2012

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

...or create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu. This will work, but your phone will have to be connected to your PC so you can click "Just Boot" every time you power on or reboot your phone.

I did this. Everything seemed to work well. However my issue is now that I'm at the "setup" series of screens post-update, and I'm getting SIM errors. Again, this phone was unlocked on 4.3.5. At one point, somehow, I was able to get into the actual home screen and I can see my BB didn't change, so I definitely did this right.

Is there anyway to get past this seemingly impossible to pass setup? Again I was "past" it, able to enter the App Store and everything for a little, but I have no idea how this happened.

Sorry to keep asking *you* questions, so feel free to answer, anyone else. :)

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

By the setup screen, do you mean it's sitting at the SIM activation screen?

I've never used a GeveySIM but as I understand it, once you're in the phone you have to wait until you see 1 bar of service, dial 112 Emergency, hang up after 2 seconds, and then toggle Airplane mode on and off, possibly twice.

The initial setup where I choose language, country, etc. It can't activate my SIM, I get that error and I'm pretty much stuck at the screen and unable to go forward. As I mentioned I did move forward somehow, but that's gone now.

The 112/Airplane issue is, without being able to get to the home screen, I can't access the settings to turn Airplane mode on and off.

Again when I was at the home screen briefly, I checked my BB and I'm still on the same one.

Ideas?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
So I'm an idiot and need some help and/or clarification.

I bought an iPhone 4 of Kijiji months ago, it was unlocked from some mall kiosk and allowed me to use my Telus SIM. Great. Some time went by and eventually I had it on a tethered jailbreak (5.1) from redsn0w. Everything was fine and well (minus iMessage not being able to be activated) and there was no issues.

For whatever reason, when this new tethered jailbreak came out via Absinthe 2.0, I saw online I could basically just restore to 5.1.1 from iTunes and be good. Idiot. I'm assuming I'd need to make a custom IPSW to preserve my baseband, which I didn't do. Now my iPhone is in the setup stage, on 5.1.1, with the invalid SIM error.

Now for the questions.

1. What, if anything, can I do now to fix this? I lost my custom IPSW's from the past in a HDD crash so that's no dice if anyone suggests it.

2. If I were to sell this phone, how do I advertise it? Locked to Telus? Unlocked? Previous owner was an idiot? I'm not sure.

3. I'm asking part 2 since I'm debating upgrading to a iPhone 4S and if I do I'll be buying one from Kijiji already locked to Telus.

If this is all stupid, I'm sorry. I'm just confused and need some direction.

:smith:

Edit: I should also mention this is extremely lovely and I feel like an idiot. Having no phone sucks, especially when you're not sure how bad you've hosed up.

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 26, 2012

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

You're pretty much but not totally hosed. There are new GeveySIMs that work with the 5.1.1 baseband.

http://jaxov.com/2012/04/unlock-iphone-4-ios-5-1-baseband-gevey-ultra-5-1/

So with this new GeveySIM, what would I need to do to get this thing operational again?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Xithyl posted:

So I'm an idiot and need some help and/or clarification.

I bought an iPhone 4 of Kijiji months ago, it was unlocked from some mall kiosk and allowed me to use my Telus SIM. Great. Some time went by and eventually I had it on a tethered jailbreak (5.1) from redsn0w. Everything was fine and well (minus iMessage not being able to be activated) and there was no issues.

For whatever reason, when this new tethered jailbreak came out via Absinthe 2.0, I saw online I could basically just restore to 5.1.1 from iTunes and be good. Idiot. I'm assuming I'd need to make a custom IPSW to preserve my baseband, which I didn't do. Now my iPhone is in the setup stage, on 5.1.1, with the invalid SIM error.

Now for the questions.

1. What, if anything, can I do now to fix this? I lost my custom IPSW's from the past in a HDD crash so that's no dice if anyone suggests it.

2. If I were to sell this phone, how do I advertise it? Locked to Telus? Unlocked? Previous owner was an idiot? I'm not sure.

3. I'm asking part 2 since I'm debating upgrading to a iPhone 4S and if I do I'll be buying one from Kijiji already locked to Telus.

If this is all stupid, I'm sorry. I'm just confused and need some direction.

:smith:

Edit: I should also mention this is extremely lovely and I feel like an idiot. Having no phone sucks, especially when you're not sure how bad you've hosed up.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/ios-5-1-1-build-9b208-gsm-iphone-4/

Does this potentially change anything for my situation?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Disregard everything I've ever posted.

If I have an iPhone 4 I bought locked to Rogers, had unlocked to use on Telus, and then update using iTunes (thus updating the baseband or whatever and making it look for a new SIM on the setup), would a Rogers SIM work just fine in the phone?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm not an expert on unlocking, but I removed what appears to be the irrelevant parts of your post

I just figured the unlocking to be used on another carrier, and then updating via iTunes, would have some relevance. Bah.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Jose Valasquez posted:

I don't think so... I think that the unlock just gets around the normal lock and when you reset the phone the normal lock goes back into effect.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, that's just my understanding of how unlocking works.

Can anyone answer this? Pertinent information to me so I can sell this phone since I upgraded to a 4S.

:)

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
It would be pretty cool to see some setups/lists of installed packages for those of us who are less knowledgable/creative.

I've been reading through the thread, but some of its a whirlwind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
Any other font recommendations for BytaFont?

• Locked thread