Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Jam2 posted:

Can Tiny Umbrella be used to restore my baseband from 03.10.01 back to an unlockable version? I have a "blob" backed up from my phone before the baseband changed to 03.10.01.

No, basebands aren't protected/backed up with an SHSH restore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

FiTreDawG posted:

Can someone explain why this stupid error 1013 happens? I know how to fix it, I just don't understand why it happens in the first place?

I've dealt with it every time I've jailbroken since 4.0 (?) and forget about it everytime until I panic... google, and calm down.

That's the host file error, I believe. Removing the gs.apple.com listing in your hosts file should get rid of that error.

Edit: And it occurs because the host file error prevents the iDevice from restoring to Apple's stock settings?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

blocke posted:

Why does my app store crash when I click 'download'? I have installous installed and apps install fine from there (facebook as an example) but when trying to download anything from the app store it closes itself, 4.3.3 jailbreak

We aren't going to help you steal, dude.

VVVVVVVVVV Okay, I mis-read it. Still pretty stupid.

Edit 2: No, the point was it was stupid for him to mention that app because it's bannable to discuss piracy. Anyway, I'll just shut up.

Referee fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 7, 2011

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Sethik posted:

Is it possible to jailbreak a Verizon iphone to run on Sprint? I tried trowling some cellphone forums through Google, but all I've come across are insane sperg-fueled Droid vs iPhone flame wars.
Nope.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Since the site just re-launched I'm sure it's getting hammered with requests/users right now. Just try again later.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Huh. Well, that's too bad. biteSMS is the main thing I jailbroke for. :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't have an iPad at all but I used the new jailbreakme to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 4.3.3 and if it won't work, that's kind of a pain.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

maduin posted:

Here's about the best explanation I've found as to why BiteSMS (and limited other apps) aren't working correctly: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12895815&postcount=49

I'd imagine those jailbreak applications that aren't working because of the new type of jailbreak--and especially BiteSMS because of its active developers--will all be updated fairly shortly and begin working.

In the meantime, if you jailbroke with JailbreaMe.com and absolutely can't live without BiteSMS, just follow the how-to in the op and install redsn0w. The potential for better performance & fewer stability issues with a UnionFS-type jailbreak seems like it's worth putting up with BiteSMS not working until the developers fix it though.

Yeah, this right here is pretty much why I decided to just wait it out until BiteSMS is updated. I can live with Messages.app for a few days.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Reposting this from Martin of the biteSMS team regarding biteSMS not working with the jailbreakme.com jailbreak:

Martin at biteSMS.com posted:

Guys, big apologies but am actually away on holidays for a week. Given devs were flat out on iOS 5 seemed like a good time to go!!! Bugger….have emailed them and we will get a fix out as soon as we can. Most likely mid week.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

LuckySevens posted:

My friend has a problem with using the latest redsn0w to jailbreak (with the ipad baseband hack) his iphone 3g, 5.15 baseband. Unfortunately it gets all the way, but once it reboots and hits the apple loading screen, it freezes and doesn't move.
I would imagine it's because he has the iPad baseband on his iPhone.

That was why people were warned not to do that.

Edit- or are you saying an update to redsn0w broke a previously JB'd version? If so, then I dunno. Maybe redsn0w no longer supports that?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm trying to restore my iPhone but I'm getting a "couldn't restore iphone error 1645" message. Do I need to restore in recovery mode?
Couldn't hurt. Delete any gs.apple.com entries in your host file too. Were you jailbroken before? If you were and had wi-fi sync, get rid of that too.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BiteSMS now apparently works on jailbreakme.com, according to the biteSMS team.

I installed it about an hour ago, but haven't received any texts so I can't confirm yet.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can anyone recommend a jb app that will allow me to control the brightness from the app switcher?

SBSettings will allow you to do it from any page on the phone. I'm not aware of an app that will let you do it from the app-switching menu, however.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

This is very likely a stupid question but I'll ask anyway:

iPhone 4, JB at 4.3.3 with relevant SHSH's saved. If I update to 5.0, and decide I can't live without biteSMS, there should be nothing about the 5.0 update that prevents me using TinyUmbrella and returning to 4.3.3, correct?

(I'm aware of the currently tethered 5.0 JB, but have no desire to run tethered. I'm also not an unlocker.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

This is very likely a stupid question but I'll ask anyway:

iPhone 4, JB at 4.3.3 with relevant SHSH's saved. If I update to 5.0, and decide I can't live without biteSMS, there should be nothing about the 5.0 update that prevents me using TinyUmbrella and returning to 4.3.3, correct?

(I'm aware of the currently tethered 5.0 JB, but have no desire to run tethered. I'm also not an unlocker.)
No one replied- so I guess I assume I'm fine. If not, I guess it's not the end of the world? :unsmith:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

What's the best tool to jailbreak an iPhone 3G on 4.2.1? I tried the latest redsn0w which says it doesn't support it, and greenpoison never recognizes the phone in DFU mode and just keeps telling me to try again.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Xenomorph posted:

I'd build a custom IPSW with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

I'm on Windows, so...? Does sn0wbreeze work on that? Never tried it.

Edit: Seems to have a Windows version. Trying now, thanks!

Edit 2: CFW seems to have created okay but I can't restore to it. I get a range of 1600/1602/1604 errors. Both with DFU and without. Sigh.

Edit 3: For whatever reason, it finally seems to have worked. :) If at first you don't succeed, try thirty more times!

Edit 4: Okay, going to bed, but last question: this 3G is on 5.15.04 and I was trying to use 3G Fuzzyband Downgrader or whatever to go back to 5.13.04. However, instead of erroring out (as the guides show I would if I had the wrong bootloader) the bootloader version is listed in Fuzzyband as (null) [(null)]. Did I do something wrong?

Referee fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 2, 2011

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

EC posted:

What are the steps to turning an old 3G or 3GS (the latter with all SHSHs saved) into a glorified iPod Touch? I want to kick some of these old devices down to some other people, and finally get them off my desk.

Pretty sure all you need to do is wipe your personal data off by restoring and setting up as a new phone, and then pull the SIM card out. Or even skipping the restore part and just selecting "Erase All" from Settings/General/Reset.

Referee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 2, 2011

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

El Duke posted:

Since it was jailbroken, that ran as root and erased the OS too.

Say what? I've never heard of that happening before. Is that with a specific jailbreak method or with all of them?

I've usually restored in iTunes but I recall doing the Erase All button with at least one jailbroken phone- I believe my old 3G- and didn't have that happen.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Untethered 5.0.1 JB released for non-A5 devices (basically everything except iPhone 4S and iPad 2)

http://is.gd/dO7hc5 (link is just the dev-team blog)

Links to the newest redsn0w are at the bottom of the post.

I have yet to try this myself, but I'm going to in the morning :toot:

It appears you can also install a Cydia package if you're already on a tethered 5.0.1 JB and untether that way too rather than restoring and re-jailbreaking. Pretty cool.

Referee fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 27, 2011

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

nerdrum posted:

Just jailbroke, phone rebooted fine opened cydia phone had a kernal panic then reset, backlight is still on but theres no apple logo and it won't get into DFU

Hard reboot? (Home and sleep buttons held together until phone turns off)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Vertigus posted:

loving Infinifolders. That's the king of jailbreak apps right there.

That and biteSMS are the two reasons I jailbreak.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Eww the new BiteSMS looks gross. Hopefully I can change it to the classic skin. :ohdear:

If you find out how, please share. I've hated the way it looked since I rejailbroke my 4 two weeks ago.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Feenix posted:

Beautiful Post. Thanks man. Last question... not that I care THAT much. Is there still any of that iMEssages stuff using Bite?

Yup, in the settings screen under Default Sending method is printed "preference is always iMessage."

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Feenix posted:

Where do you get this? Is this a Cydia app or a whole new Jailbreak method?

It's not really an app- but yes, it installs through Cydia.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Anjow posted:

I seem to remember there's a way to show cell signal as a dB readout as opposed to bars - does anyone know how that's done?

SBSettings>More>System Options>Numeric Wi-Fi Readout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

NZP posted:

alright so I have a cracked version of both Peekly and LS Round on my device. Both display location sensitive weather updates on the lock screen. Neither tweak shows the right weather for where I am though even with location switched on. Any advice behind "buy the full version"? Cheers.

I don't suspect you'll find anyone here willing to help you steal, buddy.

• Locked thread