Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Trashman posted:

There is a program called iBackupBot that will read your iPhone backups and allow you to extract specific bits that you want, you could use this to get just the notes/texts/photos and save them to a separate folder?

I found it extremely useful when I updated recently because I didn't want to lose all my text messages but also wanted to start from a fresh backup, all I had to do was extract the texts from one backup and insert them in to the new fresh backup. Easy as pie.

http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm
I installed this and it runs and then hangs on "loading device information." Does it work with Win7 for anyone? Same thing with or without itunes running :(

edit: nevermind, it eventually made it through the problematic backup file. But it appears you have to buy the full version for $25 to get the SMS out.

randyest fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rivid posted:

If I jailbreak my Ipod, will I still need to give Apple my credit card number just to access the store?
Jailbroken or not I'm pretty sure you can remove any payment info from iTunes, but you'll need gift-card credit or whatever to buy anything. And many of the best jailbroken apps require google or amazon or paypal payment systems to buy them; they don't use the app storeof course.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mister ginger posted:

Has anyone ever had a problem with apps that were bought on the i-tunes app store quitting instantly, once their iphone has been jailbroken?

It seems that every app that I have purchased will open for about a split second, and then close.
Reboot if you haven't tried that.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You need the shsh to downgrade once apple stops signing the version you want to downgrade to. You could downgrade because apple is still signing 4.2.8

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I ran tinyumbrella 5.0.00 and it has a bunch of old saved shsh for my 4 differnt idevices that I saved from running it periodically in the past, but now it won't save any new ones for 4.3.x for some reason.

I disabled "request SHSH from Cydia" and "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" and made sure to remove the gs.apple.com line from my host file.

The log shows a bunch of "name iphone4 [version] is already in progress!" and "Skipping name iPhone4" ... Does that mean the apple servers aren't replying to the shsh request or something?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

randyest posted:

I ran tinyumbrella 5.0.00 and it has a bunch of old saved shsh for my 4 differnt idevices that I saved from running it periodically in the past, but now it won't save any new ones for 4.3.x for some reason.

I disabled "request SHSH from Cydia" and "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" and made sure to remove the gs.apple.com line from my host file.

The log shows a bunch of "name iphone4 [version] is already in progress!" and "Skipping name iPhone4" ... Does that mean the apple servers aren't replying to the shsh request or something?
In case anyone else has this problem: I got it to work by disabling privoxy (local proxy program that eliminates online ads.) Weird; I'm sure tinyumbrella worked with privoxy before. Must be something new to 5.0.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Apps posted:

There are very few reasons to be as insanely anxious for an iPad2 jailbreak as most people are other than pirated apps.
Only takes one to make it worthwhile, and I have a bunch!

Retina pad
DataDeposit (back up save games and app data to dropbox!)
MyWi OnDemand
ManualCorrect (spell check without autocorrect, or reversed autocorrect, or custom dictionary)
navigate from maps
StayOpened
IgotYa

Maybe this is the wrong thread for you two, since it's, you know, the jail breaking thread.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Diafthora posted:

So now that the iPad 2 jailbreak is finally out, I have a question. So I'm assuming that jailbreaking deletes everything on my iPad correct? Will I be able to restore all my apps and app data back after I do the jailbreak? I don't want to lose all my progress in my Tiny Tower :ohdear:
I haven't tried the new one, but in general no. You backup and sync your device, jailbreak, and if needed sync your data back. All the data should still be there, but worst case you can always restore.

edit: click more info http://www.jailbreakme.com//#moreinfo

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Diafthora posted:

I thought jailbreaking would wipe my entire device, but I guess it doesn't. That was the easiest jailbreak ever :)
It sure was. Like 20 seconds or less. Takes longer to load all the package lists in cydia than to do the jailbreak and install cydia.

And Cydia is fast as poo poo now. Awesome.

edit: quoting myself for the list of apps ya'll might like. Not sure which ones work on ipad2 yet, but I'll start updating the compatibility list I made and shared (any goon can edit.) edit: Maybe everything that works with 4.3.3 will work on ipad/ipad2?

randyest posted:

Retina pad
DataDeposit (back up save games and app data to dropbox!)
MyWi OnDemand
ManualCorrect (spell check without autocorrect, or reversed autocorrect, or custom dictionary)
navigate from maps
StayOpened
IgotYa

randyest fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 6, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dorkimoe posted:

You have to buy something dont you?

Thats what I thought but someone said you could do it through an app or something
Yes, there is a free JB app called FakeLocation that you can use. I've not used it with MLB but I remember someone posting about having done so.

I imagine using a proxy will slow down your connection, especially if you use a free one.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pencil and a piece of paper for cydia apps, DataDeposit for everything else.
DataDeposit is indeed great. For cydia apps you can backup using ssh pretty easily. See the OP.

http://geeknizer.com/backup-and-restore-cydia-apps/ mentions a free program called AptBackup (worthless poo poo) and a $2 app called PkgBackup. I haven't tried that one but I'm sure it does the same thing as the process listed in the OP (dpkg.)

edit: beated

randyest fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 7, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AustinJ posted:

What is my best option for a tethering app? I have an iPhone 4, 4.3.3. I won't be tethering very often, and it'll mostly be my wifi iPad2, and the occasional laptop.

I've never tethered, and I don't really understand the difference between using bluetooth and wifi, except I think I've read that bluetooth is easier on the battery?

With the addition of the native wifi hotspot, I'm leaning towards TetherMe, along with a SBSettings toggle for the hotspot. Does MyWi offer anything that TetherMe doesn't in my case? With TetherMe, will it end up being as simple as SBSettings->toggle hotspot->iPad automatically connects to wifi?
The only advantage to MyWi over the cheaper TetherMe app is "MyWi OnDemand" which lets the tethered device (say, a wifi-only iPad) automatically turn on MyWi tethering on your phone when needed, then turn it off when done. This feature uses bluetooth, which does seem to use less battery, but is also a tiny bit slower than wifi. It costs like $10 for the phone and another $2 or $5 (it varies) for the tethered device (iPad, in my example.) With TetherMe you have to go settings -> TetherMe -> on, then remember to turn it off when done or your battery will poo poo itself.

MyWi also does normal wifi hotspot-tethering like TetherMe and has more options: you can set the transmit strength, so you can trade of battery usage for wifi transmit distance (30% power uses about 1/3 the power of TetherMe and goes a good 10 feet.) And you can set it to use a status bar icon when on instead of TetherMe's giant throbbing blue bar which (1) uses way more battery and (2) fucks up some apps so you can't really see all of the screen on the iPhone when you're tethering. It's like that red "return to call" bar you've probably seen, but you can't turn it off as long as any device is being tethered, and it kind of sucks. But it may not be an issue for you if you don't care about tethering battery usage or plan to use your phone much while tethering.

Laserface posted:

I bought retina pad on my ipad2, did the device authorisation and all that jazz since it was my first purchase, and it still thinks i am unauthorised when trying to launch applications that can use it.

:bravo: for lovely software. I dont know how people put up with this poo poo after using a non-JB idevice and how everything works beautifully as is.
Worked fine for me, but that maybe because I already had a license from way back. You might want to consider that the iPad2 jailbreak just came out so auth servers are being hammered as tons of iPadders are JailBreaking and buying apps. You can email the dev for help, or just wait and retry in a day or so when things settle down. Or demand a refund, restore, and go back to how things were working "beautifully" before (with lovely pixel doubling instead of retina assets on your pad.)

maduin posted:

Here's about the best explanation I've found as to why BiteSMS (and limited other apps) aren't working correctly: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12895815&postcount=49
Thanks -- has anyone run into other specific apps that have trouble? I can live without BiteSMS for a while...

randyest fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 8, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FiTreDawG posted:

I think the new Ipad2 JB broke iBooks again. The fix in cydia didn't seem to help. Any advice?

My iBooks works fine. Ipad2, jailbreakme.com

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I also hate themes -- all of them -- but Retinapad and datadeposit are reason enough to jailbreak. Here are the apps I use on ipad2 that require a JB:

Fullforce - make text based iPhone apps use full screen instead of needing 2x mode
Retina pad - use iphone app retina assets on iPad so 2x mode looks way better
DataDeposit - back up save games and app data to dropbox!
MyWi OnDemand - automatic tethering on/off as needed
ManualCorrect - spell check without autocorrect, or reversed autocorrect, or custom dictionary
navigate from maps - add a link from any pin in the maps app to navigon or tom-tom
StayOpened - app store stays open when you install something
IgotYa - email a pic of anyone trying and failing to enter the passcode
Iconoclasm - choose any number of row/column of icons
Folderenhancer - unlimited icons in folders, faster folders, custom folders
shrink - set dock and springboard icon sizes
Gridlock - put icons anywhere without them snapping together

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Something has gone a bit wrong. I don't see any difference in folder or recents opening speed. Did you use snowbreeze or jailbreakme.com? What JB apps did you install? Which version of installous did you install, if any?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Solly posted:

Edit: on your last point, I@ve noticed a few posts on some help boards about people getting stuck into boot loops, if such a thing were to happen I would assume there is no way to restore it via itunes. Are these people just being stupid or is that a possibility?
A DFU mode restore or, worst case, tinyumbrella can kick a device out of a boot loop. You cannot brick an idevice via software only.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can anyone recommend a jb app that will allow me to control the brightness from the app switcher?

SBSwitcher puts all your SBSettings in he switcher bar, including brightness. There's another app that changes volume to brightness but I forgot the name.

Ezrem posted:

Does the new JailbreakMe jailbreak still have sandbox issues with GameCenter? I'm getting really sick of this nonsense in 4.2.1.
No.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't use alien blue ($4 to browse reddit?) but I'm jailbroken and the free reddit app doesn't have that problem. Did you install any browser changer or YouTube link modifier apps?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Or wait for the next jailbreak, will will probably be for os5.x

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Horrible? Or big? For all text apps try FullForce.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Auriak posted:

I bought a new laptop that finally has a battery that lasts longer than 30 minutes so I thought I might finally look into tethering and was wondering if anyone here who has experience with it could fill me in on the basics. What is considered the best app for tethering these days? How badly is AT&T cracking down on it? Is it worth the hassle?
I've been tethering with mywi (and now tetherme) since mywi came out years ago. I tether to my ipad mostly, but also occasionally to my laptop in a pinch. mywi was just a few bucks when I got it, and mywi on-demand is awesome because it lets an ipad turn on/off the iphone tether as needed, which is cool (but uses bluetooth which is a bit slower.) But something happened in ios 4.2.x and mywi stopped working reliably. So I bought tetherme for $3 and it works fine. I do 5-6GB per month every month and have had no hassle from AT&T. I suspect if you tether your PC and torrent 20GB of linux ISOs every month you might get a notice or something.

I miss mywi ondemand though.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jam2 posted:

If you didn't have a 4.3.3 SHSH and your 1st gen iPad was jailbroken on version 3.2, would you upgrade to 4.3.5 or remain at 3.2 with the JB?

And I keep getting errors when I try to update my JB'ed iPhone 4 from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3. I have Tiny Umbrella and SHSHs saved for a ton of different iOS versions included 4.3.3. I have the server running and I'm holding down shift to select a manually downloaded ipsw when I click the Update button in iTunes. What are some things I can try to make it past these errors?
Since I recommended you ask here and no one answered, I thought about it some more: I'd upgrade and wait for a new jailbreak. Mostly because many of my most-used apps require 4.x

(You still having upgrade issues? I reckon it's because apple's not signing 4.3.3 anymore.)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

furushotakeru posted:

Is there any way to set MyWi to display how much data is being consumed for a given session?
There's a data usage line for down and up on the status screen.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AlphaDog posted:

Now, apart from sbSettings (which is pretty nice), I really can't figure out what to do with the jailbroken phone. Theming usually looks pretty crap to me, but maybe I'm doing it wrong (find themes that look nice on the internet, use Cydia to download them, apply them using Winterboard).
Check out the jailbreak app compatibility doc for some of the apps goons are using:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vinlaen posted:

If I jailbreak my iPad and then want to go back to stock (ie. final iOS 5 version or something), can I backup/restore my non-jailbroken apps? If so, how does that work?
Same as if you hadn't jailbroken. Backup to itunes. Upgrade (or not.) Restore. If you're jailbroken you can use DataDepsit to backup and restore app-specific save data, but you don't have to do that if you're going to restore a backup from itunes.

Vinlaen posted:

Also, does RetinaPad work on iOS 5 beta?
I don't know but it's a beta so I wouldn't count on anything.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
For what it's worth my wife's jail broken ATT 3GS has no push problems, nor does my ATT JB'd 4. You say you restored as new (un-JB'd) and still have the problem? I'd say that kind of rules out the JB as the problem.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Sorry, I can't figure out what you've tried and when. Did you have push problems after restoring as new but before jail breaking again or not?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SaturdayKnight posted:

Sorry for the confusion. I've had push problems since I bought the phone, I just never actually thought it might be a problem until reading about people enjoying speedy push services. I wasn't originally jailbroken, and had the issues, jailbroke, still had issues, jailbroke again for 4.3.3 and a clean slate, now I'm wondering if it's AT&T, my phone, or something I did that has broken push so bad.

I never did just go stock for any time between my jailbreaks, so I guess that's worth a try. I have all my SHSHs so I guess I don't have anything to lose.
Thanks for clarifying; it seems like going stock for a few days is a low-risk good way to confirm if your phone / network has push problems even when not jailbroken. If so, you can maybe get a replacement phone. Though I've never heard of hardware issues causing push problems, I guess it's possible.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Jailbreakmatrix.com is usually updated with JB options by device and OS, including links to the files and tools needed.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Waffle Zone posted:

No, and I literally just read about that a second ago. So, I guess I'm boned even though my phone is not past 4.3.3. Do I have any untethered options?

Edit: iPhone 3GS and according to jailbreakmatrix it looks like I have no options at all :(

huh?

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=4.2.1&device=iphone3

"Your iPhone 3GS on firmware 4.2.1 has the following jailbreak options.

You are in luck. There is an untethered jailbreak solution for your device. The tools are listed below, click on the name to view the guide.

- Sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 (Windows)* preserves baseband
- Greenpois0n RC6.1 (Windows) (Mac)
- Pwnage Tool 4.2 (Mac)* preserves baseband
- Greenpois0n RC5.2 (Windows) (Mac)
- Redsn0w 0.9.6rc07 (Windows) (Mac)

Unlockers READ THIS ! If you plan on unlocking your iPhone using Ultrasn0w you must upgrade your firmware using software that supports "preserving baseband", this feature is included in the PwnageTool & Snowbreeze bundles. Failure to upgrade in this manner or upgrading your iPhone using stock iTunes firmware may compromise your current or future unlock possibility. "

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Waffle Zone posted:

But, I thought iTunes won't let me restore 4.2.1 unless I have the SHSH blob and my phone is not currently jailbroken so I cannot get it.
Oh, you literally have no SHSH saved? Never been jail broken at all? I guess you are screwed. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

If it isn't activator I have to remove the jailbreak before going to Fruit and replacing my iPhone just so they won't say "you are poo poo out of luck because you jail broke your iPhone".
So remove activator to make sure it's a hardware problem. If it is, then just backup everything and restore as new, since you'll be getting a new phone anyway.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Yeah thats what I figured. Nonetheless, how can I get over this problem of not being able to upgrade to 4.3.5 in case I want to for any reason?
I don't know for sure, but I'd try a different data cable and, if possible, a different computer (or reinstall itunes.) Then try a DFU restore (I think instructions are in the OP, or you can google it.) Someone else may have more specific advice.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm selling my wife's 4.3.3 jailbroken 3GS ($300; thanks craigslist!) and the guy wants me to keep it on 4.3.3. Can I just use the option in settings to wipe all the data, or do I need to restore as new phone using my shsh/tinyumbrella to make sure it's totally clean?

I assume I can wipe, then uninstall all cydia apps to make sure nothing is on it, but I seem to remember reading that doing so could cause some kind of problem. I don't remember the details and my googling isn't good enough.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fortis posted:

If you wipe directly from the phone while jailbroken it will wipe EVERYTHING, because you're running as root. I'd advise against it.

I think your only bet is to restore in iTunes and use the 4.3.3 IPSW, provided you've got your SHSH Blob. Assuming that SHSH Blobs aren't iPhone 4 and on-- I seem to recall that they don't apply to the 3G but I don't know about the 3GS.
Thanks. Yes, I have the SHSH and restoring to 4.3.3 fresh won't be a problem. Thanks again for the advice.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Corbet posted:

Have we heard anything about "NoAccessorySplash" being updated for iOS 5.0?

I just bought a car with USB in and I really don't like using the car's dash unit to navigate through all my music. I'd much rather use my iPhone's music player to pick music.
It's still listed as '?' (unconfirmed) in the goon jailbroken app compatibility document.

Just a reminder:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US#gid=0

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Corbet posted:

I can actually confirm that it doesn't work with 5.0 at this point. I just spent the last hour or so downloading beta software, tether jail breaking my iPhone 4, testing to see if the Accessory Splash wouldn't come up when plugged into my car, and restoring from an iCloud backup.

Hopefully someone updates it. I really wish Apple would just include a toggle so people don't have to deal with terrible head unit UIs.
Feel free to update the doc if you like. As for finding out if/when it will be updated, I'd suggest emailing the developer.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I know this has been covered and clarified but I want to mention it again because jailbreakmatrix.com is just plain wrong, which is odd since it is usually pretty reliable:

MickRaider posted:

Considering the iPad 2 can't even be jailbroken, it's going to be a while before the 4s is.
My jailbroken ipad2 wants you to give her a call. 4.3.3 of course :)
I don't know why jailbreakmatrix.com is confused on this, but ipad2 4.3.3 has been jailbroken for months via jailbreakme.com , Yes, 4.3.5 and 5.0 are not jailbroken on ipad2, but the matrix says "there is no jailbreak" even for ipad2 4.3.3 which is definitely wrong.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why can't the ipad 2 be jailbroken?
It can be if it's on 4.3.3

G-Prime posted:

Because an exploit for the processor hasn't been found.
Userland jailbreaks don't need processor exploits (and I don't think there are any processor exploits for any iOS device.) Maybe you mean bootrom exploits?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MickRaider posted:

Yeah, my bad I checked jailbreak matrix and it lied to me...
No sweat; I was surprised and even double-checked myself and was actually puzzled for a minute before I realized I have cydia on my ipad2 home screen :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Will that work with apps/tweaks/etc I downloaded from Cydia? Example: Will Winterboard or my Barrel app I got from Cydia be backed up onto iTunes as well or does it just backup apps from Apple? I have 20+ updates currently right now in my App store, but can't upgrade any of them because I am assuming it's for iOS 5. So backing up your phone onto iTunes the best bet with a jailbroken phone? I want to backup everything on my phone (contacts, apple apps, settings, etc and also my Cydia apps, tweaks and Winterboard themes/settings). Then I want to transfer that backup onto my clean iOS 5 jailbreak once they release it of course. What's the best way of doing this? Because if I have to re-download all my jailbreak stuff, that sucks.
iTunes won't backup your cydia apps, but the method mentioned in the OP will.

• Locked thread