Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

E1M5 posted:

Thanks. What's all this about SHSH files I'm hearing? Is it mandatory I download TinyUmbrella and backup 4.3.3 for if I do want to unjailbreak? I'm really confused about the whole SHSH thing - or is it only if i want to revert back to an older firmware?

The latter. You can always restore the phone to get rid of a jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

The Arsonist posted:

I just for a new iphone 4 after my other one broke and just jailbroke it on 4.3.3. Transferring licenses wasn't an issue on certain packages like "Lockinfo" and "BiteSMS" but I was wondering how to go about getting some of the other ones that I have previously purchased: "Folderenhancer", "Infinidock" and "Iconoclasm" seem to be the only ones I need. Is there any way to bypass purchasing them again?

Normally you sign in using your google or facebook account, and if you're signed in with the same account, it will let you download them for free, provided that you logged in when you originally purchased them.
e: I just reinstalled infinidock after a re-jailbreak, and I have a little sign saying "package officially purchased"

Now for a question myself:
I successfully re-jailbroke to 4.3.3, and trying to redownload my cydia apps (the dpkg --get-selections >packages.txt trick didn't work, packages.txt didn't get restored from backup. I should copy it to my computer next time...), I keep on getting "NetDB: Open nodename nor servname provided, or not known". If I re-start my phone, the error appears at a different place or doesn't appear at all. I had the same problem a few weeks ago (though not before) with my previous jailbreak, so I don't think it's on my end. Could it be a problem with Cydia's servers?
e2: nevermind, restarted a few more times, and unplugged it from my laptop, and now everything is fine. I won't think too hard about it, until it occurs again.

Cockwhore fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 17, 2011

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

that is all great and all but I have an ipod touch not an iphone.

shouldn't make a difference

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
I also think you need to go to cydia-> manage->settings and select hacker for openssh to appear when you search for it.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
It's pretty easy and that's how you learn poo poo. Just do it. Very worst case scenario you manage to delete some system files and then you do a restore.

Also, remember to change your password to something other than alpine when you log in for the first time. Use the passwd command,

• Locked thread