Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I have a jailbroken 4.0 phone where I did something complicated that I can't remember to enable tethering; I think it involved a hex editor and ssh and some configuration files. Will whatever configuration stuff I changed probably be erased when I upgrade to 4.3?

You should just buy TetherMe for a couple bucks, it does the same thing but it's supported for the latest iOS versions and automated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Feenix posted:

Would this not be a far larger reported issue on the internet if it were, though?

I have never NOT had Winterboard on any Jailbroken phone all the way back to my 3G and I only noticed this issue once I added SliderMod HD.

Winterboard is a mess

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just installed MobileNotifier today to try it out.

Now when my phone is locked and I get a txt, it simply says "missed notification" and seems to lock the screen faster than before. I like seeing who txted me and the preview, do I really have to disable MobileNotifier on lockscreen and enable antique lock alerts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

FiTreDawG posted:

Hope this isn't ban worthy but I think this is the best thread to
Ask this question in. Im talking about an app I bought legit through the app store and the contract arguments could still apply, but kind of a grey area.

What are the opinions on going back to "tether me"? The old app that was on the apple store for a while? It created a proxy to go through and the phones broadcast that. Is this the same thug
MyWi, etc do?? I thought they enabled the native tethering. Would a phone broadcasting a proxy send up red flags the same way??

TetherMe is a paid cydia app that enables the phone's native tethering. MyWi is a paid cydia app that creates a mobile wifi hotspot using the phone's wifi hardware.

From what I understand, all of the AT&T customers that received notices were using MyWi.

I don't know anything about your old proxy app that managed to get on the official app store. I'd be cautious about using anything if you are worried about violating your contract.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Morkai posted:

MyWi also enables USB tethering. Is there some benefit to using TetherMe over MyWi or is it just a matter of TetherMe doing it first so that's what people still think of?

TetherMe is $5 and only enables the native tethering, MyWi is $20.

edit: also the people receiving letters from AT&T seemed to exclusively be using MyWi, unless I'm mistaken

edit 2: VVVVVVVVVVVVV ok

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

So it looks like Peter Hajas, the MobileNotifier guy who was "taking a break" and "couldn't say why" is now mysteriously living in California and tweeted that he was now "working for a fruit company"...

This was pretty obviously his goal the whole time

mewse
May 2, 2006

trilljester posted:

iOS 5 to have better notification system?

I think he was a student, he set out to improve the iOS notification system and released all his code under BSD license and posted a bunch of videos of himself explaining his new system and trying to attract people to help him. Huge publicity for himself to help him land a great job post-degree. Apple noticed and hired him, dreams do come true

edit: i mean contrast him to the typical cydia dev who take anything of worth and price it at an asinine $2 or whatever

edit 2: haha i think mobilenotifier just crashed my springboard.. speak of the devil

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 4, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

Do any of you know a cydia repo for unix utilities? I'm looking for an iphone binary for rsync so that I can back up my stuff

mewse
May 2, 2006

frumpsnake posted:

rsync has been in the default Cydia repositories forever, it's on Saurik's server. It sounds like you haven't selected Developer/Show all packages.

I told cydia i was a hacker and a wild rsync appeared. Thank you

mewse
May 2, 2006

Richman777 posted:

I also made a windows app that will back up your applications like angry birds or whatever. I know when I do a new jailbreak I want to do a clean install without a backup and it's always a PITA to manually find the documents or library folder for each app so I made something to automatically do it. It also overwrites the biteSMS icons with whatever you want (the pink icons suck), transfers SBSettings icons, and backs ups and restores your safari bookmarks. If anyone is interested I'll post the binaries and also put it up on github.

I'm sort of interested in getting the cydia backup/restores by piping the output from your restore list so that may be doable. All the app does is execute ssh/sftp commands so it's nothing complicated. Don't really care if it's open source either. Actually was more interested in making the splash screen for it than it's actual functionality...

Is there a writeup somewhere online thats a total noob guide to the iPhone filesystem layout? I'd like to know which directories DataDeposit sends to DropBox, and I'd also like to know where the text msg database is stored.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

What's the diagnosis on a 3GS that can only get EDGE/2G reception? As soon as it switches to 3G, it drops all bars, etc. and cannot get any signal whatsoever. That'd be the logic board, wouldn't it? :(

is it an old sim card?

you'd have to check a teardown but the same IC is probably responsible for edge and 3G. maybe an antenna became disconnected somehow

mewse
May 2, 2006

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Okay, I'm kind of out of the loop, but I have an old, jailbroken (on 4.2 era firmware) iPhone I want to clean up and sell.

Problem: When I switch it on, it seems stuck in recovery mode (iTunes and cable logo). I can't seem to put it in DFU; I still had TinyUmbrella knocking about and that identifies it fine, but "Exit recovery" works only to the extent the phone reboots and hey presto! Back where I started.

iTunes I doubt will be any help; it refuses to restore (even with a firmware I downloaded) with "An unknown error occured (21)".

This is iTunes 10; should I bother updating it, can anybody recommend any next steps?

I ideally want to end up with the phone in a saleable condition, which it isn't right now. Factory settings would rock.

- Update iTunes
- Fix your hosts file (make sure TinyUmbrella isn't setting hosts to cydia on exit)

mewse
May 2, 2006

I have an old bootroom 3GS and I've got IOS5 running on my phone but in the process of upgrading I wiped out the backup that was taken before I started. iTunes decided that a 2 meg backup of the iOS5 install was good enough to delete the earlier backup from this morning.

I am literally going to have to restore to 4.3.3 and a backup from 3 months ago, save all my apps with datadeposit, and *then* go back to iOS5.

Don't be me, goons, don't be me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i posted here over the weekend saying i'd fried my old bootrom 3gs with the ios5 update. i'm back running a 4.3.3 backup from 3 months ago, luckily it has most of the data i was concerned about.

so it's looking like if i want to go to ios5 i'm not going to be able to restore the data from my 4.3.3 install, and i'll have to migrate the important stuff manually.

i can use datadeposit to back up my apps, but is there a simple way to backup and restore my contacts? i'm set up with my google account but it seems only new contacts get stored there, i don't know how to copy all of them. i don't really mind losing saved txt msgs but phone numbers are really important

e: wooo i asked itunes to sync all contacts with my google account and it looks like it uploaded all of them from my phone. badass

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 17, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

ReidStylez posted:

Used redsn0w 0.9.9b5 for iOS 5 and the Cydia icon shows up all one color and crashes when I try and open it.

in the instructions i think it warns you that you'll get an all white icon until it reboots or something.. oh here it is:

"If you see a white icon for Cydia, or if Cydia or Safari crash when you open them, it’s because you didn’t boot tethered."

mewse
May 2, 2006

ReidStylez posted:

So you can still boot the phone up if it dies or needs a reboot, just the jailbreak stuff doesn't work?

cydia, safari and "many things" won't work

mewse
May 2, 2006

ReidStylez posted:

drat it my phone keeps entering Recovery mode not DFU mode :(

if it's similar to what was happening to me yesterday, tinyumbrella can kick it out of recovery and then redsn0w can put it into DFU

mewse
May 2, 2006

DJJustice posted:

I've got ultrasn0w 1.2.4 running

then you should be unlocked unless your baseband version is already too high

mewse
May 2, 2006

check settings > general > about and look at "modem firmware" for your baseband version and then google from there

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Goodsex posted:

I've been sifting through this thread for awhile now as to not be talking out of my rear end. With that said, is there anything beyond their Twitters to hear about the 4S JB progress? Can't wait, really :p

this thread will explode and most recent news is always posted on the iphone dev team blog

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ganguro King posted:

Wait a second, I thought that a phone with a tethered jailbreak won't boot at all until it's connected to a computer running the proper software. Am I wrong? Will it boot normally just with the jailbreak disabled?

It will boot but it will talk like a fag and it's poo poo will be all retarded

mewse
May 2, 2006

psylent posted:

Forgive me if this has been answered, but I read through the FAQ and couldn't see it anywhere.

Is there any way I can output a list of exactly which JB apps/tweaks I have installed? I'm upgrading from a 3GS to a 4S shortly and I want to make it as painless as possible.

there's instructions in the second post about how to ssh in and make a list of installed packages using the debian package tools, and then restore them on the new device

mewse
May 2, 2006

has anyone successfully upgraded their old bootrom 3GS to ios5 and retained all their data from their ios4 backup? is there any trick to it?

when i did it i lost everything more recent than a 3 month old backup and i'm hesitant to try it again, esp since i keep hearing other people seeing the same thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

You can make multiple backups locally. Before upgrading, try to have 2 backups from right then, before your phone is wiped.

yes but it is not going to help if i can't restore data from the backup and i have to downgrade back to 4.3.3 again

mewse
May 2, 2006

boy howdy lets derail this thread with an argument about "inclusive" vs "exclusive or"

mewse
May 2, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

What's the probability of the 4S being jailbroken in the next week or so?

I doubt it. I don't follow the twittersphere or whatever but there isn't even an untethered jailbreak for 5.0 on the new bootrom 3GS available publicly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

randyest posted:

Is it just USB tethering (which is useless for an iPad) or a real hotspot? Does anyone know?

iphone 4 and 4S call the feature "personal hotspot" and allow tethering via usb, bluetooth, or wifi

mewse
May 2, 2006

appsync, the component of installous that disables signature checks, is required for iphone homebrew without a $99 developer license

e: but yeah 99.9% used for piracy obv

mewse
May 2, 2006

randyest posted:

Thanks everyone. That's actually very useful info as I just got osx lion working in vmware on my win7 box and have resumed dicking around with Xcode. Nice to know I can put poo poo on my phones and pads for testing without paying the $99.

here's the page that i know of that details how to get it going. i haven't actually gone through the steps myself but it looks comprehensive. no version for ios5 yet afaik

mewse
May 2, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

Who's excited?

pod2g pod2g
I made a step today for the A5. With some luck we could expect a release in a week.
2 hours ago

me, i am, as well

mewse
May 2, 2006

SENORsankyPANKY posted:

The gods of hacking are teaming up avengers style for a5 devices, please god make this happen

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

This doesn't sound hopeful to me. When pod2g tweeted that he hoped to have a 4S jailbreak out in a week, I thought that they had found an exploit and they were just going to package it up all nice to get it out, but they don't have an exploit yet, just the jailbreak that assembles itself after you're able to execute code on the device (ie. developer account).

So who knows how long it's going to take them to find the exploit to actually crack open the 4S for the public. Some day we're gonna have to start loving around with mod chips in these drat phones..

mewse
May 2, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How many absolutely essential jailbreak features are there except for the "don't pay for apps" feature? I'm all for a 4S jailbreak whenever it becomes available for various tweaks to the user experience, but I can't honestly imagine donating to jailbreak development or freaking out and ditching the phone over it.

EDIT: Ehh I'm speaking purely from a phone standpoint. There might be more reason to jailbreak on an iPad.

if you don't care, you don't care. i want to jailbreak simply for barrel, which i paid for and love despite the fact it's a minor graphic tweak. i also want to tinker with homebrew without paying the $99 dev fee. i'm also simply philosophically opposed to locking my property away from me.

when they lock it down to the point that it needs a hardware hack, i'll probably drop it also.

mewse
May 2, 2006

it would let apple see how he pulled it off in order to benefit the trivial amount of jailbreakers with legit dev accounts

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Can someone clarify what "out of the sandbox" means? I've never followed this stuff very closely so I don't actually understand what this is trying to say.

it just means breaking part of the security of the device.

sandboxing in security terms is limiting access to only a few known interfaces that have been hardened so that code that's run in the sandbox can't escape the sandbox.

for example, the latest versions of internet explorer are sandboxed so that even if the web browser is compromised by a malicious webpage, the malicious code shouldn't be able to escalate even further and compromise the entire operating system.

that tweet means they have a proof of concept for escaping the sandbox but they're still a long, long way from release

mewse
May 2, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

And greenpois0n is down already. :negative:

is it a torrent? how is it 2012 and we still have crashing download sites

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I donated $10 earlier today to the Dev Team working on this. I recommend others do the same. That poo poo be crazy what they do, so they deserve more love.

just did this, it goes to saurik and they've agreed on shares for how it will be distributed to the team.

i really hope paypal doesn't freeze the drat account :ohdear:

mewse
May 2, 2006

TACD posted:

It's kind of stupid for them to be using PayPal to be honest, everybody knows how much they love to shut accounts down and it's only a matter of time before they decide it's 'hacking / criminal activities / international terrorism' and shutter the account.

definitely. presumably they're only comfortable with it because saurik already receives cydia app purchases through that paypal account.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

What's the word on having to save SHSH blobs on 5.0.1? This will be my first jailbreak and I've heard people saying to do it in here, and I've also seen a couple people mentioning that it doesn't have to be done anymore as of iOS5. Got asked at least once in the past couple pages and nobody seems to have replied to it. I downloaded tinyumbrella yesterday and it didn't seem to be able to save them at all. I'm guessing if it works it's done after the jailbreak? The site doesn't really specify how to use it just mentions different settings and a brief overview of what it does.

what do you mean "it didn't seem to be able to save them at all."

do you know what SHSH blobs are

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

Yes. It is basically a key that apple would send to your phone to tell it that it's okay to restore that firmware version. Everything referring to said process mentions that tinyumbrella saves that key, the "SHSH blob". I ran it and told it to "Save ALL SHSHs", and figured it would give some sort of confirmation saying that it proceeded successfully but got no such behavior, and nothing in the log about it actually happening.

is your device displayed on the left side like in this screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

e: mewse: It is not. I also don't have the option to boot the device into recovery available. it's greyed out.

you have to have itunes installed and your device connected to the computer for tinyumbrella to detect it

• Locked thread