Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

Well then there's where the issue is popping up. I've got itunes 10.5.3.3 installed and the device is connected and picked up just fine in itunes, but tinyumbrella doesn't recognize it. Tinyumbrella is also the latest version.

that's weird. TU only has to detect the device once, and then it stores that device's id numbers so you don't even have to have the device connected for future usage of the program.

maybe try having itunes closed and the device connected while displaying the charging screen, and then re-launching TU and see if it detects like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

with the mention of program files (x86) in there, i think you might be having a 32-bit/64-bit problem. i don't know if itunes has a native 64bit version but running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the java runtime environment when itunes is the other might lead to that error. it's getting over my head at this point anyways, good luck

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

Have you tried the CLI version? I used the Windows version and it only involved two simple commands and it worked first-try without any errors or anything at all.

what are the commands? -s and -j with the parameter from the readme?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

Here's how to jailbreak using the Windows CLI version

running cydia now, worked like a charm, thanks m8

e: barrel installed. gently caress yes

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 21, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

This is a freshly flattened and jailbroken ipod touch 4, any idea if / what the default password would be? Is it a system wide thing?

root / alpine

iirc

mewse
May 2, 2006

to be fair having a default root password is pretty stupid anyway

mewse
May 2, 2006

IncendiaC posted:

Holy balls, Barrel is my new favourite app :swoon:

my three standbys used to be ultrasn0w, barrel, and tetherme. the 4S is not unlockable and my new cell plan includes tethering, so after jailbreaking today barrel is the only thing i have installed via cydia atm

mewse
May 2, 2006

i know its old hat for you iphone 4 guys but i'm so happy my 4S has a sexy lock screen now

typophone + some clouds background

mewse
May 2, 2006

randyest posted:

Maybe you should consider an android nexus droid galaxy II phone by samsung with google?

why

mewse
May 2, 2006

CADPAT posted:

So what's the deal?

you can't downgrade baseband on any recent iphone, even 3GS. if you are depending on a software carrier unlock (ultrasn0w) and you upgrade the baseband, you are hosed ("bricked"?) because you can't downgrade it.

your software engineer friend is wrong

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Now that there's an A5 jailbreak, will it be possible for someone to create a siri port for non-4S phones (or iPods) that doesn't require setting up proxies and such?

no, you will need a 4S unique identifier

mewse
May 2, 2006

TomSellek posted:

Why do you have 2 clocks

Typophone installed "clock hide" which added a clock to the status bar. Found an option to turn that off, good call

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Monarch posted:

I'm having trouble SSH-ing into my phone. It's a 3GS running 5.0.1 with the iPad baseband. I'm on a mac, and I can ping to the phone's IP just fine, but when I try "SSH root@IP Address" I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.105 port 22: Connection refused". I've tried googling but all the links coming up are old and mostly for windows. I've also set the phone to not go to sleep. Anyone know what's up?

afaik you can't connect if the screen is locked

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Monarch posted:

On another note, does anyone know of a (IOS 5 and 3GS compatible) thing that'll hide the lock screen UI? In particular the clock and bar at the top, and all the "slide to unlock" stuff at the bottom.

there's a cydia pkg called "lockscreen clock hide" that can hide the time and bar at the top, not sure about something for the slider at the bottom

mewse
May 2, 2006

Feenix posted:

I did see a Corona 5.0.1 I think...
Is that it?

yeah, bring that up and you'll see 1.0-7 in the grey text underneath the package title

mewse
May 2, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone know why Cydia take so long to refresh it keeps stalling at packages when it loads up.

cydia hits a bunch of different sources sequentially, one of them is still getting hammered with the influx of new devices being jailbroken.

i kinda wish it would display which one is lagging so i could go disable it. i also wish it would fetch the pkg list updates in parallel rather than sequentially, but since it's basically a pretty GUI on apt i doubt they have the chops to make that happen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Any time you get a new device from someone - be it a smartphone, tablet, computer, or Xbox, you wipe/format it as soon as you can. You never know what kind of hosed up poo poo is on it.

For an iPhone 4, I believe the process is to restore to a fresh 5.0.1 install, jailbreak with redsn0w, then install the latest Corona.

doesn't look like 04.11.08 is unlockable with ultrasn0w

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

My friend told me that you can flash a different baseband and then be able to unlock it, is that not true? I only bought the iPhone because I thought it could be unlocked.

afaik you can't downgrade iphone 4 baseband, at all

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Wow that's pretty lovely. So what do .ipsw files do?

they're the firmware for the entire device. they contain a baseband firmware that people will strip out to preserve their old baseband

mewse
May 2, 2006

you'll be waiting a long time for an unlock. there are no murmurings of a new baseband exploit at the moment.

mewse
May 2, 2006

hey man if my coworkers don't wanna know i have herpes, they can stop asking to use my phone, that's all i'm saying

mewse
May 2, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, I was being facetious about that. But seriously get a moment of panic anytime someone uses it or I show them something. "WHAT IN GODS NAME DID I RECENTLY SEARCH?!"

edit: iPad FWIW

i'm not aware of a jailbreak tweak and you might already be aware of this, but going settings > safari > clear history should clear it up manually.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

I am of the belief that a property of the display is that changing a pixel takes more power than a pixel that doesn't change on refresh.

Making poo poo up doesn't make your argument sound

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Saurik took the time to respond to me (seven pages of text if printed at 12pt) explaining that people actually don't report bugs to him, and that he never knows when something isn't working.

Hahah, whaaaat? Does he even use Winterboard at all

mewse
May 2, 2006

Winterboard isn't stable at all. Immediately after jailbreaking my 4S I wanted to try out the Typophone lock screen because it's designed for the retina display and I was on a 3GS before.

After the phone being on for a few days, my camera would crash the springboard. The problem went away when I purged Winterboard, Typophone, and some package that hid the clock on the lockscreen.

I don't know what he wrote you but I suspect he's got some major denial that it's old and bad themes causing the errant behavior on people's devices rather than some really unsafe code capable of bringing down the springboard. He seems to be more of a unix hackery type guy rather than a visual splashy type guy (confirmed by his iOS 4 wallpaper epiphany).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mark Larson posted:

Sometimes I feel that hacking groups should keep their methods to themselves

Why do you think that they don't

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

Some kind of device signature involved which mucks it all up?

Yeah. The whole thing is complicated by cryptographic signatures that are validated by the hardware on the device.

mewse
May 2, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I got my first iPhone (4S) back in October, and now I feel the desire to jailbreak it (only thing I miss from Android is rooting and flashing my phone). From my reading I take that since I have a 4S running 5.1 there is no way at this time to jailbreak it? So my best bet would be not to install 5.1.1, and wait for a jailbreak of 5.1 for the 4S? Or does the jailbreak community move on to 5.1.1 and skip 5.1?

It's unlikely anything exploit-wise changed between 5.1 and 5.1.1 but you should probably just stop updating. Many past jailbreaks depended on already having a jailbroken device.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm really paranoid about updating and then jailbreaking because a while back on my old 3GS I updated to 5.0, it couldn't recover the data from my 4.x backup, and then it made a new backup of the completely fresh and empty 5.0 install and purged my 4.x backup.

So now before every little thing I make a manual copy of the backup folder.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coincidentally I'm hoping to make a boxing game with controls similar to infinity blade.

I spent the whole weekend getting my dev environment set up with a hackintosh and no developer license. These instructions for developing on a jailbroken iDevice are still valid for the latest versions of xcode and ios sdk, you just have to adjust the paths according to one of the most recent comments on the article.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The battery life on my 4S seems way, way up after switching to 5.1.1 rather than 5.0.1.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klowns posted:

On the subject of SiriPort, can anybody who has an iPhone 4S with an official Siri answer if you need a data connection to use it? It seems odd that SiriPort can't do non-network tasks like check my calendar, alarms, notes, etc. without an active data connection and I was wondering if that was a limitation on the port version or not.

Siri always needs a data connection, none of the voice recognition happens on the device itself, it's sent to a server

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's equally unsettling to me when people identify cars and boats as women, yes.

What if you're an old timey sailor? She's a fine vessel laddie

Fozaldo posted:

Always meant to ask, is that you in your avatar? Always makes me smile every time I see it.

That's one of the diaz brothers as a kid (nick or nate diaz)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jamit posted:

Edit : Shortly after posting this I found rinerswitchtool which more or less does what I want. Makes the mute switch a rotation lock, and allows the vibrate to be turned on in the software. Seems to be working away happily now!

You've already solved your problem but you could've gotten around this on an unjailbroken phone by using the built-in accessibility features.

On page 155 of the current user manual it describes AssistiveTouch where you can toggle ring/silent from a menu on the screen

e: Oh your problem is the switch is going off all the time, sry

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

glompix posted:

I think I know how to do it with redsn0w, but that's not the JB tool for 5.1.1.

The latest redsn0w looks like it can do 5.1.1, it's the second post down on the iphone dev team blog.

I remember redsn0w can create a custom IPSW with no baseband.

You probably also want to look into downgrading that weird iPad baseband to the older baseband as explained by the top post on that same page.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Maybe you should reread his post again?

Seconded

mewse
May 2, 2006

All that means is they got it working with a dev account, it's not even just a "we have to tidy it up before release", they might not have the exploit they need to release it to the general public

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wario In Real Life posted:

I thought iOS6 offered some big speed improvements for 4/4S?

Even if Apple says that, generally new iOS versions keep running slower and slower until you have to upgrade your hardware

mewse
May 2, 2006

He's so young that I'm guessing he wasn't as productive as they hoped, and then when he literally didn't read a contract offer, they just decided whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'd say go ahead and nuke it. The MC008LL identifier you pulled up should be really difficult to fake.

• Locked thread