Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

I'm not exactly sure if this would work so I thought I would ask.

I just got a refurb 16GB iPad 3 today and it is running iOS 5.1. According to this page, I need to be running 5.1.1 to jailbreak it. I'm downloading the 5.1.1 ipsw from a site currently.

Will I be able to force this thing to update to the 5.1.1 ispw without it going to 6.0?

Use TinyUmbrella to see which versions are still being signed. If they aren't signing 5.1.1 for ipad 3 then you are basically hooped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

Balls. It doesn't look like it.

Since thats the case, I might as well update to 6.0? There isn't any hope of a jailbreak ever coming for 5.1, right?

I think that site you linked is probably wrong and it should be possible to jailbreak 5.1 with redsn0w.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

Downloaded redsn0w. It recognizes my iPad but the 'jailbreak' button is grayed out. Also the wikipedia entry on iOS jailbreaking says there is nothing available for me.

I think you have to open the 5.1 firmware in redsn0w before it lets you jailbreak.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Physical posted:

So what does that mean going forward, that I can't jailbreak? I can't get the 5.1.1 blob that is already on there?

You don't need SHSH blobs to jailbreak, you need them to install older firmware.

This is related to jailbreaking because older firmware is jailbreakable and iOS 6 isn't.

mewse
May 2, 2006

iFaith used to be able to pull blobs from a device, I dunno if it works with 4S 5.1.1

mewse
May 2, 2006

Physical posted:

Oh so Brawndo is saying that the only time to get the blob is to basically eavesdrop during the iOS install process.

Yes, Cydia maintains a server that acts like a proxy and saves the blobs, whereas TinyUmbrella is desktop software that can query Apple's signing servers directly and save the blobs locally.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Funkmaster General posted:

Kind of curious how people feel about this. There are alternatives out there, but with Installous having been so popular, does anyone feel like this is a victory against iOS piracy?

I'm one of the mythical creatures that has appsync installed to develop apps. I have no pirated apps on my phone. I did pirate apps on my old iphone but it was more trouble than it was worth with updates etc

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone know a lightweight tweak that can redirect the "take screenshot" button other than activator?

mewse
May 2, 2006

mattdev posted:

Jailbreak friends: I have a bit of a weird question. I handle social for the company I work for and we've been trying to get into Vine. With Vine, you're forced to record the video from within the application and can't pull it in from an external source. With our lengthy approval processes, this basically means that we can't use Vine until we figure out a way to import video into it.

I was wondering, are there any jailbreak applications that change the capture source of a video from within applications? For example, instead of using the front or rear camera on an iPhone, I could set the capture source as a video, or maybe a line-in through one of those fancy cables that they make.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

One of my facebook friends put up a trailer for an indie video game by literally recording a screen playing the video he created

mewse
May 2, 2006

mattdev posted:

Yeah, that's sort of my last resort. I know we can take audio inputs, so that will be fine, but I was hoping we could do something a little less hacky.

I found the article where my friend Kert explains his process to make the video for vine:

http://indiegames.com/2013/03/vlambeer_on_the_art_of_its_6-s.html

mewse
May 2, 2006

lox posted:

Regardless of HOW secure it is, there IS still security and this lock should not show.

WEP is beyond "not very secure" to "not secure", it is broken so badly that it is trivial to read traffic, and it really shouldn't be offered on any current hardware but it's a legacy thing. One of the worst things it does is to provide a false sense of security

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

Just today I went into the restroom at work and I heard the distinct sound effects of Fruit Ninja playing over the sound of an engineer working a turd out of his butt hole.

That game is forever ruined for me. Thanks, man.

Sorry

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sh4 posted:

I wonder why there isn't any signing server emulators out there, I thought the blob/uuid validation was reverse engineered ?

Cydia emulates the apple signing server, and tinyumbrella emulates the signing server. That's why they will change a computer's hosts file to point gs.apple.com to somewhere else.

The problem is that this method relied on a replay attack, where Apple would authorize a specific firmware for a specific device and we could save that information (the SHSH blob) and re-use that authorization.

Apple has closed this by beefing up the shsh authorization with some sort of apticket system, I don't know how it works really but jailbreakers are obviously having trouble.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Agreed, that's why browser addons like adblock are illegal

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

The messenger app is not mandatory by any means. You can still message people within the default app but I suppose maybe the interface is different (I ignore the nagging requests to install the messenger app)

My mom showed me her ipad last weekend and the facebook app refused to let her view a new message, just popping the "Install Facebook Messenger!" nag no matter which way we tried to open it. Facebook is starting to get pretty scummy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Yeah there's no real reason to JB just yet unless you want to mess around as a dev.

I don't know if doing iOS dev as a jailbreaker is feasible anymore. There was this thing called jailcoder for iOS 6 that was kinda plug-and-play for doing unsigned app dev, it never got updated.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Plz don't hetero shame

mewse
May 2, 2006

UncleBlazer posted:

Just wondering if anyone can help - my calls go straight to voicemail and I'm not receiving texts (iMessages work and I can call out)

I've checked all the stupid things like do not disturb. Anyone had a similar problem? My 5S being jailbroken may be a red herring.

Edit: it being jailbroken was not the fault at all :) If you stop getting calls/texts on EE in the uk manually change to another carrier for a second and then change back.

Did you try turning it off and then turning it back on

mewse
May 2, 2006

dpbjinc posted:

From my experiences: Winterboard doesn't work and crashes SpringBoard if you do certain things (like swiping to the left on the home screen). Also, a bunch of command-line tools have broken dylib dependencies, but some tools like vim and sudo still work. I'd say hold off on the jailbreak until things get stabilized.

Saurik probably still thinks Winterboard is fine because nobody has filed bug reports or something

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

i7 owners haven't figured out how to jb with the power of smug yet?

The iPhone 7 requires a more sophisticated jailbreak than has ever been attempted before. You wouldn't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yes, those of us that own an iPhone 7 also have large "dongles".

• Locked thread