Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey goons,

Hope you all can help me out. I bought an old iPad 2 for the sole purpose of listening to Spotify and reading Gmail at work. I now realize that both of these apps (and a plethora of others) aren't capable of being downloaded on the iOS this iPad has (9.3.5 - apparently I need 10+). On top of that, I can't seem to run spotify through Safari and can't download Google Chrome (again, needs iOS 10+).

Would it even be worth my time to look into jailbreaking and maybe being able to force installs of the older versions of the apps I want to use? Or should I just bite the bullet, pay for shipping/restocking and return the old AF iPad never to buy another Apple product again?

I mean, what's the point of making tech that lasts 7+ years but can't install several apps?

Thanks in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Evis posted:

Can’t hurt to try. To answer your question, the point is that people by and large upgrade their idevices enough that most people are running on the last OS or two, so there’s not much need to support devices stuck on iOS 9.

Well, it can hurt to try if jailbreaking it means I can't return it, which I'm pretty sure it does :) But if there's a chance that jailbreaking this device can get even one or two of the apps I kind of need for this to be useful in any way I'll probably take it. That's why I'm asking here before I devote any time to what could be a losing battle.

Also, they don't have to support old apps, they can just make them available... kinda like Android does. But that isn't really keeping in the spirit of "forcing people to keep upgrading".

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

You can usually remove a jailbreak by doing a restore through iTunes (possibly with DFU mode), it's not permanent.

On the other hand, you're REALLY not going to get a great experience using an iPad 2, even if you get the old versions of apps on there. Pretty much everything is going to crawl at this point. In my repair shop, we're down to maybe one a month on those, everyone is just replacing them now since they're nearly unusable, even the old folks who only use email and the browser.

An iPad 4 or maybe a Mini 2/3 (don't spend extra for a Mini 3, it's identical to the 2 aside from having Touch ID) would probably be about the minimum to get halfway decent performance. Or hell, an iPhone 5S on Wifi if you don't need the bigger screen.

Yeah, I think this is the answer I was looking for. Essentially "It's not worth it, go ahead and return it if possible." Thanks!

• Locked thread