Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

withak posted:

It used to be a pain in the rear end, but the packages.txt trick makes it trivially easy. Though there isn't really a need to get every incremental update unless there is some new feature that you really want or some bug fix that you can't live without.

love the packages.txt trick, that should be detailed extensively in the OP (if not already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

American Jello posted:

welp there's no reason to jailbreak anymore wrap it the gently caress up jailbreakailures. multitasking, wifi tethering and now lockinfo. all hail the mighty stebe jorbs

BiteSMS is the last hold out. I can get over not having MyWi.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Don't they have the service that lets you create a number and buy packages to text through the web? If you always have your iPad with you, and always have a data connection, might be worth it to have all of your communication on the tablet.

I wouldn't, but I can see the case.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is interesting, as my 4 has been slightly sluggish for a while now. I used backgrounded way back in the day, so I don't know if it has changed much. How does it compare to the way the iPhone multitasks now? Does it behave similar or do I have to retrain my muscle memory to do new things to background and such? Assuming I set up a solid whitelist, will I even notice a difference in function?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there any jailbreak software that exists that will make a copy (or even better sync) a directory on the jailbroken iPhone with some external source? I'm trying to get some sort of automated backup of files that I will be editing frequently right on the iPhone connected to my PC at work. My work has blocked Dropbox, Evernote, and the final crushing blow was Amazon cloud. All I want to do is maintain a personal budget spreadsheet that I can access anywhere! So I have iPhone explorer installed, plug in my iPhone and are saving the excel files in /Root/User/Documents. Thing is, I want to be able to have that directory automatically copied/emailed/synced somewhere in the event that my iPhone gets lost/stolen/broken.

Oh, USB drives are forced into read-only mode... quite paranoid about data leakage here.

Any ideas or creative solutions?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

I suppose google docs is out of the question?

Unless you mean that there is a service that can sync the files in the iPhone directory with Google docs, yeah, it's out. Any possible site that can you can upload files to is taken out. (unless there is some non-obvious site that is secure that can also store files...)

Looking for some service that can regularly copy/sync/email whatever is in a directory on the local iPhone OFF the iPhone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

furushotakeru posted:

I meant why not just create the document itself in google docs and edit it from your phone's browser. In this case there should be no reason to need to upload or copy anything unless your phone doesn't have a data connection while at work, and then you could potentially just use your work PC's browser.

Oh, ok. Well, Docs is blocked, naturally. It's a pretty complex sheet (VBA/etc), and being an excel junkie I'd much prefer to do all of the work at a desktop rather than on my iPhone. I may be being difficult, but it's what makes me so freaking efficient!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Those looking for a way to tether without Jailbreaking, another app snuck in SOCKS tethering as an easter egg:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id336009164

It's been up for 3 days now without Apple pulling it. Join your devices together on the same network and use the iPhone on port 8888 for the SOCKS proxy.

Everything I've read is that it works like poo poo and is a waste of money.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

$0.99 for a functional SOCKS proxy to allow a non-jailbroken phone to share its connection seems like a bargain to me. How is that a waste?

I've tested this on my iPhone 4S already, and it seemed to work fine.

It's a SOCKS proxy. It works as expected, not "like poo poo".

I don't mean that the features it offers is poo poo, I mean that all the reviews I read said that it didn't work as advertised and only in very specific limited situations. Such as you had to have a Mac. Was just throwing out a dissenting opinion so people did some more research before plunking down the $.99. Others felt cheated after paying for it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I felt cheated because of how idiotic the instructions were. The instructions were poo poo, things misspelled all over, bad grammar, *incorrect* information, etc. Of course it didn't work for people.

I can post some simple instructions in a bit.

It'd be super helpful if you could also layout in what situations it would be helpful for us non-networking geeks. Limitations/etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A thought just occurred to me. How is the delta-updating that iOS5 implemented for version upgrades going to impact jailbreaking? Will there be any fundamental changes or will this just change how you update your phone? Obviously we do not have any experience to base off of, but wondered if this has already been discussed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Feenix posted:

Any decent packaged JB for iOS 5 will likely disable deltas. Or if not it will be some essential Cydia upgrade like those PDF exploit patchers.

Do we even know if delta updates are invisible like that? Frankly even unjailbroken I'd be miffed if my phone OTA updated without even asking me if it could.

Will fully packaged updates (as they were pre-iOS5) still be available?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kasonic posted:

Well I just did this and I lost every single app. So.

:smithicide:

When you reinstall them, your settings should be saved. It won't reinstall your apps.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do any of the GV extensions indicate that an incoming phone call is to the GV number AND who they are?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also, are there any killer 5.1 features that have been announced? Been enjoying being jailbreak free, but the GV thing is killing me as I use it for my side business and would like to know who it is on top of what # they rang.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

randyest posted:

What does this mean? :confused:

I'm calling that an extreme auto correct mishap.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just checking in. Jailbreaking my 4s with Absinthe 0.3 on Windows. The progress bar jumps up about 10% and then hangs there for about 10-15 minutes now seemingly without any progress. The app stopped responding (after I adjusted at the usb cord came undone, so blaming that) and just started it up again. I wanted to find out if this should be taking this long.

Thanks!

edit: bah, now it's just crashing on its own now. Going to reboot machine and iPhone for good measure. I did upgrade iTunes without rebooting..

Edit2: looks like its filling up my hard drive and then crashing. Wtf is this software doing?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2012

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

You mean AT & Bigot Chamber

Bigot Chamber would be an awesome metal band name.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

coldplay chiptunes posted:

A pretty good idea for what? Circles are only meaningful for content pushing. They don't really make sense on a phone OS level (unless you're the kinda guy that likes sending mass texts). Facebook has groups and G+ has circles for when you're updating your social platforms, but I don't see how you would use circles on your phone.

I have 10 people on my favorites and that just about covers it. I may dabble in some group messaging with 3 of them at a time, but that's about it.

But, that doesn't mean my use case is THE use case. Unless I'm American, then goddamnit my opinion is what the world should be!

:fsmug:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Really struggling here integrating Lockinfo with the new notification system, I just can't seem to get the right mix. If I disable the Lockscreen notification in the Notification Center settings for a particular app, when I unlock the phone I am bombarded by status bar notifications. If I don't, then I get a double-notification sound and have to hit the home button to dismiss the iOS notification.

What configuration are you guys using, I'd think it would be obvious, but I'm being pretty dense here transitioning back to a JB device. At this point I am more frustrated with Lockinfo and may go back to not using that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

I dont have a solution or a configuration that I didn't find totally obnoxious. I just have this problem too. :smith:

Just to follow-up, I ended up having no notifications on my lockscreen, leaving just the weather and stocks and letting the iOS notifications to do their thing. The infoscreen has my archived ones that are more messy and all, so it seems to be working well enough.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Sweet Christ. I'm using FakeClockUp at 10x and holy poo poo. It's like a completely different phone! I suggest that everyone download this immediately.

Jesus... I never changed the setting so I didn't really know what it did. I had to go down to 5x, I was getting anxiety working at 10x.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm still working out the bugs of incorporating Lockinfo into iOS5 the way that I like it. As it is now, I'm using the default notifications, but keeping the stocks, calendar, and weather plugins on the lockscreen and shelving all the other notification plugins on the infoshade. This is working well for me. The only downside is that when I receive a new text/fb push/etc the sound is played twice, making me think two notifications were received. Can you guys think of any setting I can adjust to address this? Feels like it should be something simple, but I'm missing it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there an app that will stop safari from showing my previous google searches? Sick of coworkers seeing my medical issues.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mewse posted:

hey man if my coworkers don't wanna know i have herpes, they can stop asking to use my phone, that's all i'm saying

Yeah, I was being facetious about that. But seriously get a moment of panic anytime someone uses it or I show them something. "WHAT IN GODS NAME DID I RECENTLY SEARCH?!"

edit: iPad FWIW

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

mewse posted:

i'm not aware of a jailbreak tweak and you might already be aware of this, but going settings > safari > clear history should clear it up manually.

Thanks, was hoping there'd be something that would just disable it. Appreciate it!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Solly posted:

Nice, now if only I could get past this beginning jailbreak message I'll be laughing.

I've turned VPN on since google told me this might help, but I'm reluctant to do a full wipe restore because this thing is pretty much a full 32gb and it will take all night to do that. How long does it generally take for it to get past the beginning phase? Absinthe hasn't actually crashed yet but I've been waiting about half an hour.

Just did it last night. Do jailbreak, when iPad is ready, turn on VPN, hit ok on error and wait. It will reboot. Cydia will be there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ditto (or is it Titto if I'm the third) on the no battery issues with FakeClockUp.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Is the Absinthe server having issues? I'm trying to jailbreak my iPad2 and went through everything (using Windows 7) and Absinthe on the iPad keeps on failing to connect, and VPN keeps on failing to connect as well.

After you run absinthe on your computer and your ipad resets, go straight into settings, turn the VPN on, when you get the error message, click OK and just wait. Your ipad will reboot, when it's done, Cydia will be there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FakeClockUp has freed me up to be some exceedingly efficient that my battery usage suffers from the sheer amount of usage I am now able to take advantage of that was previously wasted.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Kazy posted:

Is there a way for FakeClockUp to specify which animations you want sped up?

I cannot stand that ridiculous wobble.

It does have a humorous effect in Hero Academy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

eggrolled posted:

With bitesms, I hear my text alert go off twice (like literally not even a second apart, so it's different from when the message beeps again in a few minutes to make sure you check it) Has anyone had this problem? I have a feeling I must have glazed over a setting somewhere.

I have the exact same issue and I'm sure it's how I have my notification settings set up with Bitesms. I played around and just gave up. Anyone care to post their Bitesms notification settings and notification center?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all. Always like to check in with the thread before I do anything. I am jailbroken on 5.0.1 and want to go to stock 5.1.1. Ive removed all cydia apps. Just upgrade ota or anything else need to be done?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey guys, is there a solution to TuneIn radio location blocking me for listening to the euros on talksport from the states? I recall there being a location spoofer, would this work here?

Thanks !

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

I dont know if you ever resolved this issue, but I'm having the exact same problem. Awful app shows me logged in as just a blank space, and using safari it will log in then after the GLUUEE screen I'm logged out.

I'm almost positive this started after I installed Siriport. Dunno if that helps but I hope someone knows what's up.

I am having the same issue. Talked to the SA Devs as the same behavior happens on safari also. They said that they have been getting a lot of this from AT&T 4G users, since it works fine on Wifi. Something about the way they are handling cookies now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

Probably, try fake location. It has a free trial so you've got nothing to lose.

Tried both of them, neither worked for TuneIn radio for the game going on right now. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Y2J posted:

I didn't see you eve get this working since you said fakeloc didn't work for TuneIn. The ESPNRadio app streams all the euro games via audio, and WatchESPN (you need a cable subscription) via video
E: Is there a tweak to disable the notification center completely? I hate pulling it down accidentally when I want to slide for sbsettings

Thanks, I did realize that in the end! During the group stages they only played one of the two going on but that's not a problem anymore. I wish I could get it to work for regular season matches and all, but alas they probably are going based on ISP.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

How do you Undo things then if this is disabled?

I've never used the 'undo' feature on my phone before, when would you do that? Other than to accidentally undo what you just typed?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I am jailbroken on a 4S, when iOS6 comes down the pipe today, can I do the OTA update straight away, or do I have to do some restoration/etc before updating to 6? Not concerned about losing my JB and such. Between iCloud and Datadeposit, I'm set on backups as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

doesn't datadeposit require jailbreaking, so you'd not be able to restore your data in iOS6 (until it's jailbroken)?

Yeah, but it'll be there. Just meant that I have no worries about lost data/etc.

• Locked thread