Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm considering jailbreaking my iPhone 4, mostly for SBSettings, but I'm a bit worried about performance or battery dropping in general.

Sorry that it's a horribly vague question but can anyone tell me if any/all of the following jailbreak apps would cause any noticeable dent in battery life or performance?

-SBSettings
-BiteSMS (or an ad-free equivalent)
-Dreamboard
-LockInfo (IntelliscreenX looked amazing but is a bit pricey, I would love to be able to see further than just one day in my Calendar in notifcations/lock screen, and for unread SMSs/Emails to stay in the lock-screen even after I unlock my phone)
-Copic

And anything else that people would consider a must-have, I guess.
Also if there's anything that could track my monthly data usage that'd be awesome!

Oh and a final question and I apologise if this has been answered a bajillion times before: Does the guide at in the OP for backing up the phone include all SMS and apps and folders, etc.? e.g. if I wanna go back to non-jailbroken (or get a new phone) and need to set it up as a new device, will I still have all my post-jailbreak SMS messages or App-Store-obtained apps and so on? My internet connection is horrible, so re-downloading all those apps would be hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

NerdsMcGee posted:

Use iCloud. Seriously. At least for Contacts and SMS. For your Apps, you can re-sync from your PC, no problem.
Ah, when I first looked at iCloud I thought it synced everything to the web, which would mean an absolute no go for me. If the amount of stuff to up/download doesn't exceed a couple of Mb, tops, I might look into it!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I really love the look of stylised lockscreens like this one, but don't want to lose out on stuff like notifications on the lockscreen. Is there a good-looking custom lockscreen that doesn't drain the battery too much that still allows for lockscreen notification stuff?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I take it this is not good enough? You want all of the LockInfo stuff?

The problem with that one is that the notifications would cover up the actual time if you had two or three. I'm sure it's just down to me looking around for one that'd laid out appropriately.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Jailbreaking just doesn't like me! :(

Everything was working good for a while, then while trying to fix some settings in BiteSMS to stop it from being so irritating and taking away my notifications and stuff, my phone respringed and then froze on my lock screen for a good 2 or 3 minutes.

Forced a shut-down, and now my phone can't get past the white Apple logo when trying to reboot. It's meant to be untethered so I shouldn't have to use my PC should I?

edit: Haha and just as soon as I hit Submit Reply, the phone boots! I guess the jailbreak just makes it exceedingly slow to come back up.
Well, I may as well post some content then. Is there a good tweak that can be put into SBSettings to turn off the vibrate when I have the physical switch set to Silent? Basically a night mode so it won't buzz and wake me up while I'm asleep. Auto-dimming the brightness would be cool too, but optional.

edit2: And so long as I'm posting, BiteSMS is being a pain in the dick with disabling all my Message notifications and not letting me see the Badges in my actual Messages app. Is there some other (free) app I can use for a Quick-Reply box that doesn't come with all the other junk?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rick Rickshaw posted:

iScheduler allows you to set all sorts of settings and toggles on a schedule - perfect for disabling vibrate at night, as well as lowering brightness I believe.
iScheduler looks awesome but I'd much rather those things be a toggle rather than at a set time, since I don't want it turning off vibrate on nights where I'm up late.

m0isty posted:

Bitesms is supposed to replace your messages app, there's even an option to hide it in the settings...
I just get annoyed that it seems like every time I launch BiteSMS, notification banners for new SMSs seem to become disabled and it will now only vibrate once instead of twice when I get a new message. I guess I just don't like apps that, when launched, start changing all my settings without telling me about it or making it easy to switch it back.

edit: Basically, all I want is a wee quick-reply box that can handle SMS and iMessage and nothing more. If the app can do other things, I want to be able to disable it all and keep using Messages like normal (with notification banners, maybe a status icon at most) but with the advantage of quick-reply if accessing the text through a notification. Any suggestions? Or maybe an ideal way to set up BiteSMS to do this?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 24, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Enjoying all the nice new benefits of jailbreaking and haven't noticed any severe battery drain yet, but it's the first day so let's see how that goes.

I've just installed Winterboard with Typophone 4 as a lockscreen but is that going to be much of a battery drain? I'm not gonna be skinning anything else on the phone, just the lockscreen, but every little bit of battery helps so if it's likely to cut hours off my daily usage then I'll go back to unskinned.

Actually, for that matter, if I have Winterboard installed but no themes selected, I assume it won't drain my battery at all, or is still there chugging away in the background?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Getting used to some of my shiny new jailbreak features, and I'm in love with WifiSMS.

Does anyone know of a tweak I can download to set wifi network priority? We have two SSIDs in my workplace for some reason - one allows me a usable IP address for iFile and the like, the other gives me internet access but on an IP which is outside the usual network in some weird way. The only problem is that some areas of the building only have the lovely-IP network, so I want to be able to default to the good one if it's available but go with the lovely one if it's not.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Is there a jailbreak app out there that just shows upcoming calendar events and reminders and nothing else? Lockinfo and IntelliscreenX are overkill for what I want.
Seconding this. All I want is to be able to extend the upcoming events notification from 24 hours to 1 week.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm assuming this is due to my jailbreak since nothing else had changed on my iPhone lately, but for some reason, apps will now sometimes play sound out of the iPhone's speakers even when the mute toggle switch on the side of the phone is set to silent/vibrate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Flicking the toggle off and on again doesn't fix it. The switch itself is fine though since the mute icon (the bell with the slash through it) appears and the phone vibrates.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 3, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Feenix posted:

I know this is possibly too simple a solution but there ARE some apps that don't respect the mute toggle. Is it possible this is the situation?
It could be, actually. The two apps I've noticed this on so far are Ghost Trick and AccelaStudy Essentials. In which case, those apps are dicks and I gotta find a tweak to let mute override them!

I don't think I'd ever actually come across an app before that doesn't respect mute.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
BiteSMS is really winding me up now. A couple of days ago my free trial ran out so now it's running with ads. That's fair enough, but at pretty much the same time it now runs unbearably slow. From my Springboard if I tap on the icon to bring up the app and send a text, it will just show the message history screen for about 10 seconds before I can interact with the keyboard.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hermi On Me posted:

This happened to me too, and I didn't know if it was something related to BiteSMS going to ads and if it was intended, or if it was just some weird bug. Either way, it was too frustrating to get texts and have to wait 10 seconds to answer them, so I ended up going back to iMessage for now.

Meant to check back to see if there was a fix for it, since I didn't want to buy it yet, incase the behavior to stays the same. But forgot all about it till you mentioned it.
To be honest, all I want is the quick reply. If any of the other quick reply apps worked like BiteSMS I'd uninstall it in a second!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

status posted:

So what's stopping you from using only the quick reply?
One main thing that bugs me is that I can't change the Open button on the quick reply to point to Messages rather than BiteSMS (unless I'm being an idiot and missing something really obvious).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I tried using Frash the other day (purely to play Nanaca Crash) but no matter what Flash app I tried to load, but it couldn't connect so I uninstalled it from Cydia.

Now, even after a respring and a total reboot, every time I try to launch a video in Safari (or any other browser app) it immediately crashes and brings me back to my home screen.

Anyone else had this problem and/or know a solution?

Running iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak on an iPhone 4 if that matters.

edit: Fixed it, turns out the fault was with TVOutTuner crashing whenever anything that would normally output over cables (including the Videos app) was launched. Switched it to manual and everything is grand. Now I just wish Frash worked!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 22, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bonzaisushi posted:

This new Deck tweak that is about to be released looks incredible.

http://iphone-developers.com/news/new-jailbreak-tweak-deck-brings-a-swipe-out-side-bar-to-your-springboard
Seriously, if awesome stuff like this isn't in the next version of iOS I will be very disappointed with Apple.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are there really many other big features left to any potential iOS 6 other than stuff like this, though? Apple must surely pay attention to jailbreak development.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
BiteSMS has been giving me yet more problems lately! Occasionally when sending a message (through quick-reply, I don't know if it would also happen through the main part of the app), some messages will soon show up as a notification back to me as though the recipient had sent it. I'm pretty sure the recipient never receives the messages in this case, but it's a bit of a strange one.

iPhone 4 / iOS 5.0.1 untethered

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Been having some trouble with the keyboard on my iPhone the last day or two. It only happens on certain screens, most notably the Spotlight search and BiteSMS' quick reply, but the keyboard appears either slightly higher or slightly lower than it should.

Haven't remembered to take a screenshot any time it's too low.

I haven't installed any new packages for a while so I'm not sure what's causes the keyboard to go out of whack. Tried a reboot but no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think I'm gonna remove the jailbreak off my iPhone 4. There's been a severe performance hit ever since I activated the jailbreak so I wanna see if it goes away if I go back to normal.

Is there a specific way I should be removing the jailbreak (e.g. setting up as a new phone) or would restoring from the most recent iTunes sync/backup be enough? Would updating to 5.1 from 5.0.1 do the same?

• Locked thread