Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

This is a thread to discuss & ask questions about Verizon Wireless' service & devices.

Verizon Wireless, with over 104 million customers, operates the largest third generation-capable (3G) CDMA network in the United States and boasts "America's Largest and Most Reliable Network," as shown by internal and third-party testing. Verizon Wireless also operates the fastest and world's most advanced fourth generation (4G) LTE network, with coverage in 45 US markets (Expected to exceed 175 markets by the end of 2011). Verizon Wireless has invested an average of nearly $6 billion into it's network annually since being founded in 2000. Verizon Wireless was started as a joint venture between Verizon Communications and UK-based Vodafone.

Will update later.

— How can I sign up for my employee discount?
You can either sign up at the Employee Discount Program registration page, or by visiting your local corporate VzW store with a recent paystub (<60 days old) or a work ID badge which has at least your first initial & last name.
NOTE: In general, discounts only apply to the core rate plan and features >$24.99 on the primary line. Options & features, such as $9.99 add-a-lines, standalone messaging plans, VZ Navigator, etc., will not receive discounting. Mobile Broadband plans ≥$35 may receive a discount depending upon the discount profile, consult customer care or your local corporate VzW store for specific details.

— When will Verizon get the iPhone 5?
Sometime between now and I have no loving idea. Stop asking. We'll know when you know.

— Can I get 7pm Nights & Weekends?
Unfortunately, no. But all current plans include Nights & Weekends starting at 9:01pm and ending at 5:59am local time, plus unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling to 90+ million Verizon customers.

— How can I ensure my contacts are safe?
Verizon Wireless provides a free program called Backup Assistant that works on most devices. This program will automatically backup your contacts on a daily basis at the time period of your choosing. You can also view, add, and delete backed up contacts from the Backup Assistant section of your My Verizon account online.
 -- Feature Phone: Backup Assistant can be found in the main menu, under Contacts -> Backup Assistant or, with some older devices, under Media Center -> Browse & Download -> Get New Applications -> Backup Assistant (Some older feature phones may have Backup Assistant under a separate section. Consult the Support section of your My Verizon account for specific per-handset instructions).
 -- BlackBerry: A link to install Backup Assistant should automatically be been pushed to your handset shortly after activation and is found at the bottom of the main home screen. If the link wasn't properly pushed to your device, you can download the application by accessing http://start.vzw.com/ from your BlackBerry.
 -- DROID/Android: These devices will usually prompt during the initial activation to setup the Backup Assistant service. To set it up afterward, Backup Assistant is available under the "Accounts & Sync" (or similarly named) section of the phone's settings.
Contact Transfer on Backup Assistant Nonsuported Devices:
  -- iPhone: Apple iPhone devices support non-autosynced transfers of Backup Assistant contacts. To complete the transfer, sync your contacts to Backup Assistant on your original device first, then, after activation of your iPhone and iTunes App Store account, download the "VZ Contact Transfer" application from the App Store. VZ Contact Transfer only backs-up your contacts when the application is actively launched, not automatically in the background like with most other devices. For best safekeeping of your contacts, it's recommended to utilize your iPhone's inbuilt iCloud storage, or with an alternate backup solution, such as an Exchange server.
  -- WebOS: WebOS does not support Backup Assistant. Fortunately, WebOS will sync contacts through a multitude of accounts (i.e. Exchange, Facebook, Gmail, LinkedIn, & Yahoo) through its Synergy service.
  -- Windows Mobile: Backup Assistant is not currently supported on Windows Mobile 7 devices, but may be offered at some point in the future. For the time being, you can use alternate solutions (i.e. Exchange, Facebook, Yahoo, etc.).

— What is this fancy-schmancy 4G network stuff everyone's talking about?
4G, according to marketing departments, represents the high-data rate networks currently being deployed by all large US wireless providers. For Verizon Wireless this means LTE, for AT&T Mobility it means HSPA+ (well, LTE in the future), and for Sprint it means WiMAX (well, LTE in the future). This places AT&T only 199 markets behind Verizon, and Sprint only 210 markets behind Verizon (as of 01/12)…

4G, according to the ITU Radiocommunication Sector (aka people who know WTF they're talking about), means a network that is purely and securely all-IP based. This essentially means that the network will not only provide ultra-broadband services, it will have a pure VoIP voice network as well. No US carrier meets the aforementioned requirements as of yet. Verizon Wireless may/should/possibly/hopefully meet these requirements once they convert their LTE network to an LTE Advanced network in late-2012/early-2013.

4G, according to consumers, means significantly higher data rates.

— What's the coverage like where I live?
Check the VzW Coverage Locator for street-level coverage maps of your area.

— What sort of equipment protection is available? What's the difference between insurance and a warranty?
In general terms, insurance covers loss, stolen, or accidentally damaged equipment (including liquid & physical damage), and has an applicable deductible. A warranty covers electrical and mechanical defects, and has no deductible.

Every phone Verizon sells, whether New or Certified Pre-Owned, includes a 1-year warranty.

Verizon does offer an extended warranty option. Insurance is offered through a third-party licensed insurance agent, Asurion. There are three options to extend your equipment protection, which are:
 -- Total Equipment Coverage (TEC): $6.99/mo. per device Includes both insurance (through Asurion) & an extended warranty (through Verizon Wireless); also includes free overnight shipping (excluding Sundays & holidays) on warranty claims, plus free use of Asurion's Mobile Recovery service (on supported devices).
 -- Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP): $5.18/mo. per device Insurance alone. Warranty related issues beyond the first year will not be covered.
 -- Extended Warranty (EW): $1.99/mo. per device An extended warranty alone. Insurance related issues from day one will not be covered.

NOTE: iPhones have different equipment protection costs: TEC is $9.99/mo., WPP is $8.18/mo, and EW is $1.99/mo. Tablets also have different equipment protection costs: TEC is $9.99/mo., WPP is $8.18/mo, and EW is $1.99/mo.

For additional details, please read Verizon's Equipment Protection FAQ. Also, I'm not a state-licensed insurance sales agent, so do not trust a single word I just said, instead, please check Asurion's website, your local Verizon Wireless store, or call Asurion directly at (888) 881-2622 for full terms & conditions.

Android | Android Apps | Android Games | BlackBerry | iPad | iPhone | Windows Phone 7

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 8, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Great overview of the service. I have nothing to add that I can think of at this point.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Once I get the Home Phone Connect and have had it for a while I will post a review. Also, it might be helpful to include a link to the old thread if someone wants to go over it (if I missed said link, I apologize).

The last thread was a great resource, thanks for doing this!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I noticed something new on the Verizon website. Our primary line (which is eligible for the now-phased-out "annual upgrade") doesn't show an eligible upgrade, but when I check out Phone Details, I see this:

quote:

Eligible for a discount! You are eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing. If you upgrade on or after 12/29/11 you are eligible to receive an additional loyalty discount.
Any idea what this "additional loyalty discount" is? For info, 11/29/11 would be one day past 20 months since the last contract extension was signed.

e: wait, is that just another term for the "New Every 2" discount?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 18, 2011

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
A couple of questions for the Verizon people.

My boss is on Verizon and is looking to do two things: get an iPhone and a new iPad. She is trying to decide whether she should buy a 3G/WiFi iPad or just use tethering with the iPhone as needed. I know that with my AT&T plan, I can make changes to my data plan pretty much at will for short periods of time so that if I was in the same situation I could add tethering to my iPhone for a month and then turn it off later without much of a hassle. She is thinking she would like to do the same with her iPhone and if possible just added tethering as needed and not pay for it all the time. Is this possible with Verizon?

Also, is the Corporate Data plan still just the one needed for the Blackberry? She wants to do Active Sync for her Exchange account but wanted to know if she do that with just the Smartphone data plan?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Silly question I have been wondering for years:

Cell phone companies always advertise "Caller ID". However this always seems to translate into, if you have a contact with the same phone number, it will show that contact's name. Otherwise it only shows the phone number. This is still true on my OG Droid. How can they get away with calling that "Caller ID"? I haven't had a land line for over a decade but I remember what real Caller ID was like, it sure didn't involve any contact lists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

With cellphones the biggest issue appears to be in the passing of calling line ID information through the network. Cell phone companies must support interconnecting trunks to a significant number of Wireline and PSTN access carriers. In order to save money it appears that many cell phone carriers do not purchase the North American feature Group D or PRI trunks required to pass calling line ID information across the network.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The Droid X2 has been confirmed for May 26, with online pre-orders starting tomorrow. Though at this point I can't fathom anyone locking themselves into a 3G phone for the next two years, and no frontcam is kind of a head-scratcher.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20063896-251.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bambi posted:

The Droid X2 has been confirmed for May 26, with online pre-orders starting tomorrow. Though at this point I can't fathom anyone locking themselves into a 3G phone for the next two years, and no frontcam is kind of a head-scratcher.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20063896-251.html

Well, I wouldn't want to since LTE is around here, but at the same time I don't see any compelling LTE options from Verizon right now.

The Thunderbolt is mostly nice, but you can tell it was a last generation design held up by the inclusion of LTE. No higher resolution screen and the same processor we've been seeing for awhile.

The Charge is a Fascinate with an upgraded screen, LTE, and under the Droid brand name so it at least loses Bing. Other than that, it's a non-starter. It's also Samsung and not the "we're trying to change" Samsung either.

The LG Revolution isn't even a with Google device.

Basically, all the LTE devices out for Verizon right now seem like they are a cycle behind (probably because they were held up to include LTE.) So, if I HAD to buy, I honestly don't know what I would do. I think I would probably be tempted by the Droid X2 because it actually IS the most advanced phone Verizon has in their slate, minus the network radio. I honestly don't give a poo poo about the front facing camera, I have no need for video chat.

In the meantime, I'm going to be rocking my OG Droid with Gingerbread on it until Verizon gets their phones sorted out. Hopefully the Bionic comes out before the fall and is the beast it's supposed to be. I'm up for upgrade July 14th and would really like to get something other than what Verizon currently offers.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2011

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

bull3964 posted:

In the meantime, I'm going to be rocking my OG Droid with Gingerbread on it until Verizon gets their phones sorted out.

I'm running Pete's GPA15 Gingerbread build, but things just seem to drag so drat slow. I also downloaded one of his kernels to OC the drat thing.

Any tips for boosing performance on the original droid?

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Coming on as a new customer, would it be possible to get a used incredible online, start up a contract, and then save my subsidy for when better (dual core + LTE) options are available?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Phummus posted:

I'm running Pete's GPA15 Gingerbread build, but things just seem to drag so drat slow. I also downloaded one of his kernels to OC the drat thing.

Any tips for boosing performance on the original droid?

I'm not doing anything special. I'm just running GPA15 with the LV 1ghz kernel and thinks work well enough for me.

I don't use my phone as much since I got my Xoom though, not at home anyways.

Chu020 posted:

Coming on as a new customer, would it be possible to get a used incredible online, start up a contract, and then save my subsidy for when better (dual core + LTE) options are available?

Personally, I would just confirm that Verizon allows used phones on prepaid and go that route for now. It's the same price, and then when the phone you want comes out, port to a 2 year contract and get the new phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 18, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Verizon will let you start service month to month and then once you buy a phone with the subsidy your contract starts. *

They will also happily let you activate most VZW phones as prepaid. Unlimited data for smartphones is available, albeit a little more expensive. Just make sure the phone is no longer part of someone else's contract and is not on the lost/stolen list. Also remember so older phones can't be activated and the LTE phones are not available for prepaid. Whether you bought a Thunderbolt off of someone who grew sick of the battery life or lack thereof, buy one, etc the 4G phones can't be prepaid.

*Pursuant to credit check and other considerations, but for the vast majority of people shouldn't have a problem.

Wiggly posted:

A couple of questions for the Verizon people.

My boss is on Verizon and is looking to do two things: get an iPhone and a new iPad. She is trying to decide whether she should buy a 3G/WiFi iPad or just use tethering with the iPhone as needed. I know that with my AT&T plan, I can make changes to my data plan pretty much at will for short periods of time so that if I was in the same situation I could add tethering to my iPhone for a month and then turn it off later without much of a hassle. She is thinking she would like to do the same with her iPhone and if possible just added tethering as needed and not pay for it all the time. Is this possible with Verizon?

Also, is the Corporate Data plan still just the one needed for the Blackberry? She wants to do Active Sync for her Exchange account but wanted to know if she do that with just the Smartphone data plan?

Depends on how much data she's looking to push on the iPad. I know corporate on iPhone launch was pushing sales reps to sell the hotspot feature for this very situation. Remember it's $20 for 2GB (and I forget the overage) when it's the hotspot. If she's going to consistently do video and or music over the hotspot I'm thinking the 5 Gig plan on either the iPad or one of the standalone mifi's. The website has a data calulator that sometimes reflects realistic data use so maybe you could use that for estimations. She's got an iPhone though and it is a pretty good companion for the ipad.

On a personal note, I wonder if the iPhone would see better battery life than one of the mifi's. Still best battery life would be the one of the 3G iPads.

The $45 corporate email plan isn't just for Blackberry. That says if she's doing anything with a BES or Exchange, VZW will require it.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 19, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LaptopGun posted:

The $45 corporate email plan isn't just for Blackberry. That says if she's doing anything with a BES or Exchange, VZW will require it.

That's really not true. I've been using activesync on my Droid for 2 years on the $29.99 plan.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

bull3964 posted:

That's really not true. I've been using activesync on my Droid for 2 years on the $29.99 plan.

Seconded. I used ActiveSync with a Win6.5 phone and Exchange on a Droid and Thunderbolt on the $29.99 plan with no problem.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

VZW will tell you it's required if you tell them you're using it to connect to corp Exchange.

If you don't tell them, they don't charge you.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there any timetable for Verizon/HTC pushing out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I want root this thing, but I also want 2.3, and the sooner it comes out the sooner the ROM people can update...

LE
Oct 19, 2002

Posting to say that I made the switch from a Thunderbolt to the Droid Charge, and I'm actually quite satisfied with the decision.

I can live with the Verizon shitware on there (which I maintain is really stupid) on this one because at least it doesn't die from lack of sufficient power after an eight hour shift.

Touchwiz, having never used it before, isn't that bad, but I can see where a lot of people would get irritated with it. For me, it hasn't brought any grief.

I won't say that all Thunderbolt owners need to toss their phone of choice and get a Droid Charge, but if battery life is a severe annoyance for you, I would highly recommend at least going to a store and playing with one for a little bit. You may be pleasantly surprised.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Gonkish posted:

Is there any timetable for Verizon/HTC pushing out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I want root this thing, but I also want 2.3, and the sooner it comes out the sooner the ROM people can update...

2nd quarter, so by the end of June. That doesn't mean this will happen but a mostly working version of GB was leaked this week so that's a good sign.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just in my Verizon store and they had the X2 on display and for sale already. I was mighty tempted, but I live in a heavily-saturated LTE area, so it just wouldn't make sense. It sure is a zippy little machine though.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

AlexDeGruven posted:

VZW will tell you it's required if you tell them you're using it to connect to corp Exchange.

If you don't tell them, they don't charge you.

This can happen. VZW does of course say that is forbidden to its employees. It wouldn't surprise me if you wouldn't have a problem if you bought on the website.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
If you were coming from a 3G smartphone (Droid X) and bought a used 4G phone (Thunderbolt) and it didn't come with a SIM card, does it cost anything to obtain one and activate through Verizon?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Gonkish posted:

Fun Fact: there already is a GB leak for the Thunderbolt and many custom 2.3.4 ROMs are available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=943

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Anyone get the new firmware for the Thunderbolt?

I swear my battery is even worse now.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Anyone get the new firmware for the Thunderbolt?

I swear my battery is even worse now.

Ever since eHRPD was turned back on in my area, my battery has been pretty bad. I might switch it back to Rev A 3G.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Re: Caller ID

bull3964 posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

With cellphones the biggest issue appears to be in the passing of calling line ID information through the network. Cell phone companies must support interconnecting trunks to a significant number of Wireline and PSTN access carriers. In order to save money it appears that many cell phone carriers do not purchase the North American feature Group D or PRI trunks required to pass calling line ID information across the network.

I just find it odd they continue to advertise it as a feature of their plans though when they can't actually provide that feature. I wonder if this lack of an advertised feature would be cause to let people out of their contracts, like when they change the terms and people have a chance to cancel.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

yamdankee posted:

If you were coming from a 3G smartphone (Droid X) and bought a used 4G phone (Thunderbolt) and it didn't come with a SIM card, does it cost anything to obtain one and activate through Verizon?

Bring it to a store, they'll give you one, no charge (or possibly the ~$35 device activation fee, it seems to depend on if you get lucky or not with the rep).

Even if it had come with a sim, that sim would be worthless to you, as it's tied to the original owner's plan.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

sadus posted:

Re: Caller ID

I just find it odd they continue to advertise it as a feature of their plans though when they can't actually provide that feature. I wonder if this lack of an advertised feature would be cause to let people out of their contracts, like when they change the terms and people have a chance to cancel.

Really? Really??

Caller ID is a service that transmits the NUMBER of the calling party to the recepient's telco's switch, which is then passed on to the recipient's device if they subscribe to the service. Providing the name is an entirely different service, called Caller ID Name Delivery, or CNAM. Yes, most POTS providers give CNAM data with the CID service (probably because it isn't a free service on POTS lines), but, please, show me where in any wireless companies' advertisements, verbiage, terms of service, whatever, it states they provide CNAM?

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 20, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

LE posted:

I won't say that all Thunderbolt owners need to toss their phone of choice and get a Droid Charge, but if battery life is a severe annoyance for you, I would highly recommend at least going to a store and playing with one for a little bit. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I would. The stock un-rooted firmware on the T-Bolt is a mess. The Charge at least doesn't have Sense UI FC on me 5 times a day just sitting on my desk charging, nor does it require me to reboot it constantly to keep it from running dog slow.

yes, I know you can root and fix things, blah, blah. I get it. But I can't expect my customers to do that. We are running a 60-70% return rate on the T-Bolt now, and new sales have dropped into the toilet. Meanwhile we can't keep Dinc2s on the shelf.

But...there is no excuse for touchwiz. Thank god for launcher pro. Anxiously awaiting the Revolution. You better not let me down like HTC did, LG.

in other news, been running a Home Phone Connect for 2 weeks now. Works as advertised. make sure to "decline voicemail" as there is little point as my phone has a really nice digital answerer in it. Only drawback is the lack of caller id w/ name like being bitched about above. I went from paying AT&T about 100 a month for awful 3mb/768k DSL + Landline to paying VZW $20 + Comcast $45(after 6 months of $29.99) for 12m/3m internet, I can live without the name.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 20, 2011

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

SpacedOut posted:

Really? Really??

Caller ID is a service that transmits the NUMBER of the calling party to the recepient's telco's switch, which is then passed on to the recipient's device if they subscribe to the service. Providing the name is an entirely different service, called Caller ID Name Delivery, or CNAM. Yes, most POTS providers give CNAM data with the CID service (probably because it isn't a free service on POTS lines), but, please, show me where in any wireless companies' advertisements, verbiage, terms of service, whatever, it states they provide CNAM?

When I, and I'm sure most people, think of Caller ID they think of something like this:

I don't think "That's CID with CNAM." No one does. I've always seen it with the name and number on every POTS line my family has had since I remember. It's not unreasonable to expect your cell phone to do the same when they use the same phrasing to describe the service. My local phone company, when describing the basic of phone service, says "Caller ID" not "Caller ID with Name Delivery."

They're probably in the right when it comes to the legalities of advertising it that way, IANAL, but it's not what people expect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

PirateDentist posted:

but it's not what people expect.
Except this is how "caller ID" has worked on every US cellular provider for the better part of the past decade? Perhaps longer, but that's beyond my personal experience.

I'd get the complaint if "caller ID" was a new feature that didn't match up to folks's expectation, but it's been like this for a long time. Plus, all carriers do it the same way and use the same language in advertising, so there's no where to go if one finds it offensive.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So with Verizon again talking about going to tiered data pricing, have they announced the pricing? I only ask because when tiered data actually makes sense is on a family plan. As it stands right now I'm going to have to pay $90/month for data when I switch over to Verizon and I'm just curious if the tiered pricing is going to be cheaper. I'm the only "user" that would be on the plan.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

god this blows posted:

So with Verizon again talking about going to tiered data pricing, have they announced the pricing?
No.

And all the news articles I've seen about tiered data today all point to this one:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-summit-verizon-idUSTRE74I4NH20110520

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No.

And all the news articles I've seen about tiered data today all point to this one:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/20/us-summit-verizon-idUSTRE74I4NH20110520

That was what prompted me posting the question. I'm looking at switching to Verizon middle of next month when my Sprint contract is up. I honestly don't use a ton of mobile data. Right now with 2 Palm Pre's and a dumbphone we're using under 1GB of data each month. I work at a place that I'd rather just use wifi since it wouldn't cost me anything so any data at work and home can be done over wifi. I just don't see a point in paying close to $100 in data fees when I don't even use 1GB but then again I know Verizon is still going to want to take as much of my money as they can.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No.

Right, once again the news sites are off talking about tiered data plans without any specific language from Verizon. It may in fact happen, they have hinted at it. However we've been "a few months away" from tiered data for almost 2 years now. At this point, we don't know anything until it happens. It may happen this summer, it may happen later, it may not happen, it may happen in a way we can't envision right now.

Who knows.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

So if they drop the unlimited, does that mean that it's still going to be $30 a month for two gigs or so? Does the change allow for an early termination? I'm considering switching to AT&T to share a family plan with my girlfriend because my current family plan I'm on with Verizon has me using a lot of minutes each month talking to her. I don't know if it's a stupid idea or not, but I am thinking about it. I've had nothing but bad reception lately, though fortunately my new iPad is fine on VZW for the most part.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ No one outside of Verizon's head office knows.

god this blows posted:

That was what prompted me posting the question. I'm looking at switching to Verizon middle of next month when my Sprint contract is up. I honestly don't use a ton of mobile data. Right now with 2 Palm Pre's and a dumbphone we're using under 1GB of data each month. I work at a place that I'd rather just use wifi since it wouldn't cost me anything so any data at work and home can be done over wifi. I just don't see a point in paying close to $100 in data fees when I don't even use 1GB but then again I know Verizon is still going to want to take as much of my money as they can.
I get you, and I'm in pretty much the same boat (but already a Verizon customer). Just waiting on something close to concrete to come out.

Personally, I don't see how they can do away with unlimited data when their online / OTA data counters are at least a day behind. I mean, I can see it -- they can do whatever the gently caress they want -- but that doesn't seem even close to "right".

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Sulk posted:

So if they drop the unlimited, does that mean that it's still going to be $30 a month for two gigs or so? Does the change allow for an early termination? I'm considering switching to AT&T to share a family plan with my girlfriend because my current family plan I'm on with Verizon has me using a lot of minutes each month talking to her. I don't know if it's a stupid idea or not, but I am thinking about it. I've had nothing but bad reception lately, though fortunately my new iPad is fine on VZW for the most part.

Unfortunately, whatever changes may be coming can't be used as a loophole to get out of your contract. Everyone with an unlimited data plan will be grandfathered at least until they voluntarily upgrade into a new device, so you won't encounter any "materially adverse" changes.

As far as your minutes for calling your lady friend go, call customer care and threaten to cancel. You should definitely qualify for a 5 Friends & Family loyalty promotion, even if you're on a minimum tier minute plan, making calls to her free anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Sulk posted:

New contract terms (in this case, going to tiered data) only affect you when you sign a new contract. As long as you keep your current phone, or upgrade though full retail prices, you'll keep your unlimited data.

It's fantastically unlikely that it will allow for early termination. Early termination is almost always relegated to when they are forced to change the current terms, such as changes in regulation. In fact they avoid changing current terms because that's when they are forced to allow you to early terminate. They don't want to give you a reason (or a way) out so they don't change it on you.

Going from family on verizon to family on att won't really be cheaper (and will tier your data to 2gigs), and unless you actually run out of minutes, why does it matter how many you use on who?

• Locked thread