Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm loving livid about this data plan bullshit.
We've known Verizon was going to do it for over a year now. Also, it's something they have to do. You can't build your way out of wireless capacity limits. In a given area, spectrum is finite.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Why even have all of these loving apps when three youtube videos will put you at your monthly data limit?
Some folks have WiFi at home?

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This is my only means of accessing the internet. I don't know how I'm going to apply for jobs now.
1. If you already have unlimited data, you're not being forced off it.

2. Unless your job applications require watching YouTube videos, I'd suggest you stop watching them. With conversation, you can browse quite a bit of non-multimedia content for under 100 MB/day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I'm installing Gingeritis beta 8 on my thunderbolt, let's hope that 2.3.4 is stable enough~

I'll report back with a trip repor soon.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

We've known Verizon was going to do it for over a year now. Also, it's something they have to do. You can't build your way out of wireless capacity limits. In a given area, spectrum is finite.

Some folks have WiFi at home?

1. If you already have unlimited data, you're not being forced off it.

2. Unless your job applications require watching YouTube videos, I'd suggest you stop watching them. With conversation, you can browse quite a bit of non-multimedia content for under 100 MB/day.

It makes me laugh when people bitch about them discontinuing "unlimited" when we don't even know what the terms are going to be.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I just ordered the Xperia Play (well, preordered). Mostly because I'm a gamer and I'm looking for good quality games to play on my phone while away from my house...AKA, not silly touchscreen bullshit (Say whatever you want about how it is now. It can never truly replace a pad). Can people who are far more knowledgeable than I inform me how good / terrible of a purchase this is for someone like myself? While I consider myself to be very tech savvy...this is admittedly my first smartphone, so I'd like to yield to guys who have far more experience than I in this field.

(AKA it's still early enough to cancel this preorder).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This is my only means of accessing the internet. I don't know how I'm going to apply for jobs now.

Seriously, what's with the entitlement people have over internet access? It's a product you pay for, if you don't like it you can buy your access from another company. It's not like cable broadband where you only have one provider. Plus with many coffee shops, restaurants, schools, and libraries all providing free wifi it really isn't your only source.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kirios posted:

Can people who are far more knowledgeable than I inform me how good / terrible of a purchase this is for someone like myself?
I don't know tons about the device, but it's a purchase I'd personally hesitate over. It's a single-core, 1 GHz Scorpion CPU with an Adreno 205 GPU and 512 MB RAM, less whatever is dedicated to video memory. That's the same setup we saw on the Desire HD back in October, but with less RAM.

If you want a 2011 "serious Android gaming" device, I'd look into a dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2. Aside from being far more powerful, there's at least a few Android games that support the Tegra exclusively, or offer Tegra-specific features.

Aside from that, the two advantages of the Xperia Play are the hardware gamepad, and whatever PlayStation Suite exclusive content it gets. Since the hardware itself is a far cry from the NGP, I question exactly how much exclusive content Sony is going to be able to pin-down for it. Similarly, I wouldn't expect a ton of third-party games to support the gamepad, although if it just acts as a hardware keyboard then I'd imagine that games with hardware keyboard support and remappable buttons would work.

To think of it another way: the best, non-exclusive Android games are touchscreen only or primarily touchscreen controlled, because that's what the vast majority of Android phones are. Aside from maybe emulators, and exclusive content, the gamepad won't buy you much. I get your point about touchscreen controls being inferior for serious gaming, but I'm not sure this is the answer. It's a phone in a bulky-slider form factor, except it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, and it's not an NGP. My fear is that, in a year's time, you'd rather have a slimmer (and possibly more powerful) phone and an NGP, instead of a single device that's suboptimal for both tasks.

As for the phone functionality, Sony Ericsson doesn't have the best community reputation. They almost screwed Xperia X10 owners out of software updates with some ridiculous PR double-talk. Although X10 owners are now seeing a Gingerbread update due to the similarity of that devices with their new Xperia models, Sony Ericsson's PR approach is deplorable. That said, we still don't know what to expect from them with regard to a timely Ice Cream Sandwhich update in a year from now. Although I do have to give them a lot of credit for making their more-recent Xperia devices hacker friendly, although I'm not sure how much the community has picked up on them.

Edit: Short version: Look at where the games are. If you're interested in already announced Xperia exclusives, go with the Xperia. If you want to retain future compatibility with the best, non-exclusive Android games, don't. If you're uncertain, well, hopefully the long answer gives some reasonable guidelines.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 22, 2011

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm loving livid about this data plan bullshit. Why even have all of these loving apps when three youtube videos will put you at your monthly data limit? This is my only means of accessing the internet. I don't know how I'm going to apply for jobs now.
PROTIP: Use your phone's GPS to find a local library.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

PROTIP: Use your phone's GPS to find a local library.

Can't he, in all likelihood, just keep paying $30/mo for his unlimited data?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

Can't he, in all likelihood, just keep paying $30/mo for his unlimited data?

Until his next upgrade I would imagine so.

My only complaint on capped internet is the style that AT&T does it (and Verizon llikely will do a similar format) of charging for buckets of data. I would prefer a Euro system where they just throttle after you hit your 200MB or 2GB cap (like TMobile is doing).

Would people rather pay more for unlimited? A lot of goons screamed bloody murder when Sprint raised data charges by $10 a month, but honestly curious which people would take? I think the perfect scenario is throttling, but it likely makes carriers the least money so i wouldn't expect it.

I use 2GB of data a month on my phone, and fiance as a non-heavy user uses 1GB. I really wouldn't enjoy being on a data capped plan myself I will admit. That being said, I think the days when we could just tether off our phones for home internet without getting charged extra are waning.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Would people rather pay more for unlimited? A lot of goons screamed bloody murder when Sprint raised data charges by $10 a month, but honestly curious which people would take? I think the perfect scenario is throttling, but it likely makes carriers the least money so i wouldn't expect it.

There was alot of discussion, but in the end it boiled down to even after the $10 extra, sprint was a good deal. Verizon is already pricy.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."
Need someone who works for Verizon or is very familiar with account transfers to answer this one. Basically a couple of years ago I got an account with Verizon, and then a few months later the company I work for added my phone to their corporate account. It's been this way for the past couple years.

In January of this year I was issued a Vortex when my phone took a dump, but somehow they got these without a data plan (how the gently caress did they do this? I don't know). Last month one of my colleagues managed to rack up around $500 in charges, at which point the company decided issuing smartphones without data plans was maybe a bad idea. Also our IT staff says they cannot secure these phones (translation: we can't lock them down the way we want to.) The phones they want to issue us now are these (Samsung Haven for those who don't want to follow the link, basically granny's 1st phone).

I realize the Vortex is not the best of smartphones, but I have really grown to like having a smartphone over the past few months. The only way I see to keep it is to take the account back and just pay for it myself. The problem is I don't think my company will let me out from under their thumb. I will find out tomorrow one way or the other.

So my question is, can I do an Assumption of Liability and transfer the phone & number back to my control on my own, without my company being involved? The online rep I talked to said yes, but I suspect she may not know all the details involving corporate plans (she did admit as much). My other option would be to start a new account with Verizon on my own and then just turn my current phone in and tell them to shove it, but then I would lose my number.

I think tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Dirk Diggler posted:

I realize the Vortex is not the best of smartphones, but I have really grown to like having a smartphone over the past few months. The only way I see to keep it is to take the account back and just pay for it myself. The problem is I don't think my company will let me out from under their thumb. I will find out tomorrow one way or the other.

So my question is, can I do an Assumption of Liability and transfer the phone & number back to my control on my own, without my company being involved? The online rep I talked to said yes, but I suspect she may not know all the details involving corporate plans (she did admit as much). My other option would be to start a new account with Verizon on my own and then just turn my current phone in and tell them to shove it, but then I would lose my number.

You will not be able to re-assume liability of that line without permission from whomever is responsible for the corporate account.

For all intents and purposes, your work now "owns" that mobile telephone number plus any associated device and services. You relinquished all rights to it when you gave permission for them to assume liability of it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dirk Diggler posted:

Need someone who works for Verizon or is very familiar with account transfers to answer this one. Basically a couple of years ago I got an account with Verizon, and then a few months later the company I work for added my phone to their corporate account. It's been this way for the past couple years.

In January of this year I was issued a Vortex when my phone took a dump, but somehow they got these without a data plan (how the gently caress did they do this? I don't know). Last month one of my colleagues managed to rack up around $500 in charges, at which point the company decided issuing smartphones without data plans was maybe a bad idea. Also our IT staff says they cannot secure these phones (translation: we can't lock them down the way we want to.) The phones they want to issue us now are these (Samsung Haven for those who don't want to follow the link, basically granny's 1st phone).

Why not just use the company phone for calling, and get a LG optimus V off virgin mobile? $25 a month, just use it for internet only. Coverage wont be quite as good, but still could get you the equivalent phone cheaply.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
Does anyone have any predictions on when Verizon will stop offering unlimited data? All I've seen is "sometime this summer." I'm planning on starting with Verizon mid-June and don't want to miss the boat.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

who cares posted:

Does anyone have any predictions on when Verizon will stop offering unlimited data? All I've seen is "sometime this summer." I'm planning on starting with Verizon mid-June and don't want to miss the boat.

Any prediction anybody gives you now is a guess, the tech blogs have been claiming the end of unlimited data on Verizon for like two-ish years now I think.

Also jesus christ, saw a leak for the HTC Holiday today. Yet another awesome phone that doesn't look like it is going to come to Verizon. I'm so glad they decided to dick around for six months with LTE on last year's tech. I know they probably have more up their sleeve but right now I see a ton of (phone) reasons to be on every other carrier but Verizon (of course my contract is the only reason that really matters, and that is one good reason to stick with them till at least March).

Edit: Sorry for the sperg, it just irritates me seeing all of these awesome phones coming out (yes the Bionic is awesome, but there are many reasons to not want it) on other carriers when I moved over to Verizon because I wanted an awesome Android phone in the first place. Super happy with the service they've provided and the network has been rock solid but if I don't have a phone I enjoy to utilize that network what's the point.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 23, 2011

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
This may not be the right thread for this, but I have a Thunderbolt and I love the Scenes that HTC included with it. Is there anywhere I can go to download more? There's only 6 on my phone but I would think that people must have made more.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Verno5x posted:

This may not be the right thread for this, but I have a Thunderbolt and I love the Scenes that HTC included with it. Is there anywhere I can go to download more? There's only 6 on my phone but I would think that people must have made more.

I dunno about official scenes, but I'm running the BAMF Remix which still uses Sense and it has a couple more Scenes, plus you can add more. Need to root your phone to get them, though.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Anyone know of any 3G outages? I have no service here in Tennessee at the moment... all apps are reporting no connection to the internet on my Droid X.

If it's not the network, then I may have a phone issue. It was working about 2 hours ago, and I haven't done anything with the phone since. I did a battery pull reset just to make sure it wasn't something goofy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sicarius posted:

Anyone know of any 3G outages? I have no service here in Tennessee at the moment... all apps are reporting no connection to the internet on my Droid X.

If it's not the network, then I may have a phone issue. It was working about 2 hours ago, and I haven't done anything with the phone since. I did a battery pull reset just to make sure it wasn't something goofy.

Are you in Nashville? We apparently just had a major storm, and those tend to knock out signal and towers sometimes...

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Verno5x posted:

Can anyone explain to me the point of Scenes? It's basically just a quick way to switch between a few different Desktop layouts, right? I guess I can see why someone might want a certain desktop layout for "Work Widgets" (news, stocks, email, texts) and another set for "Home Widgets" (photo galleries, Facebook, games, etc) if they're a real power user, but it seems to me like if you can't fit all the widgets and shortcuts you need on a full 7 home screens, you might want to pare it back a bit...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just a heads up I, if you just bought a X2 or have a Droid X this is a great deal
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/24/droidx-and-droidx2-essentials-bundle-only-19-97-at-verizon-steal-of-the-century/

I just bought one so the deal still works

quote:

Droid X/X2 Essentials Pack
Your Price $49.97
(0% off)
Promotion Credit -$30.00

Final Price $19.97
A $145 value!
Take advantage of our Motorola Droid X2 Launch Week offer! For 1 Week Only - Purchase this bundle at a BIG Savings!

Regular Retail Price for all pieces in this bundle bought separately is $145.
When bought as a bundle, the savings are BIG!
All the essentials to enhance your Droid X2 experience in one box. Get a HDMI cable, multimedia station, navigation/music vehicle mount, vehicle power adapter and a wall charger! A $145 value. Makes a great gift!
•HDMI cable Multimedia Station with HDMI technology (includes wall charger)
•Navigation/Music Vehicle Mount
•Vehicle Power Adapter

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Marketing Shill posted:

Just a heads up I, if you just bought a X2 or have a Droid X this is a great deal
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/24/droidx-and-droidx2-essentials-bundle-only-19-97-at-verizon-steal-of-the-century/

I just bought one so the deal still works

coming up as $72 here

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Endor posted:

Can anyone explain to me the point of Scenes? It's basically just a quick way to switch between a few different Desktop layouts, right? I guess I can see why someone might want a certain desktop layout for "Work Widgets" (news, stocks, email, texts) and another set for "Home Widgets" (photo galleries, Facebook, games, etc) if they're a real power user, but it seems to me like if you can't fit all the widgets and shortcuts you need on a full 7 home screens, you might want to pare it back a bit...
You might not want to use all seven screens.
You might want different backgrounds for different situations.
You might want a different set of quick contacts on the screen (and not show, say, clients or your boss when you're out with friends).
You might want to experiment with a layout, but not have to completely recreate the old one if you decide to revert.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

JayKay posted:

coming up as $72 here

Make sure you aren't logged into your account. I just did it again and it worked.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessories

From the Shop by device box to the right of 25% off banner choose the DroidX2.
Save up to 50% on Bundles Only Available Online shows up on the next page and it should list at $19.97, just add it to your cart from there

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Marketing Shill posted:

Make sure you aren't logged into your account. I just did it again and it worked.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessories

From the Shop by device box to the right of 25% off banner choose the DroidX2.
Save up to 50% on Bundles Only Available Online shows up on the next page and it should list at $19.97, just add it to your cart from there

That did it, thanks.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You might not want to use all seven screens.
You might want different backgrounds for different situations.
You might want a different set of quick contacts on the screen (and not show, say, clients or your boss when you're out with friends).
You might want to experiment with a layout, but not have to completely recreate the old one if you decide to revert.

This is pretty much it. I need a different set of shortcuts when I'm at work, when I'm at work and on call, when I'm home and on call, when I'm home and not on call, etc. Having more scenes to mess with and modify is a lot easier than starting from scratch and making changes to them depending on whether I'm on call or not. Once 2.3.4 is out I'll probably dump a custom ROM on it to try it out and get access to some of the user created scenes if there's no more official ones just to make my life easier.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Verizon has confirmed that DX's will get 2.3 starting Friday, May 27. I'll believe it when I see it :colbert:

Computer World posted:

Verizon Wireless has just confirmed that the Android 2.3 upgrade will become available to Droid X owners this Friday, May 27. The upgrade includes speed improvements, better Android battery life, and a refreshed user interface, among other new features and improvements. (For a full rundown of what's new in Android 2.3, check out my Android Gingerbread FAQ.)

According to Verizon's Droid X Software Update page, you'll be able to manually install the update by looking in the "System Updates" section of your phone's "About Phone" settings menu. Once the update is available, you should see a "Download" link there that'll initiate the upgrade process.

Source: http://blogs.computerworld.com/18350/verizon_droid_x_gingerbread_upgrade

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/gingerbread-finally-coming-to-droid-x-friday-droid-2-and-pro-to/

Droid X finally for real getting Gingerbread update this Friday

EDIT: Motherfuck!

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
So overdue, it better happen this time.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Will a rooted droid x be able to get an ota gingerbread update from verizon?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

stormrider posted:

So overdue, it better happen this time.

I know people say that, but this is the first phone outside of the Nexus One (and of course Nexus S) that has gotten gingerbread in the US.

So, yay moto?

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

bull3964 posted:

I know people say that, but this is the first phone outside of the Nexus One (and of course Nexus S) that has gotten gingerbread in the US.

So, yay moto?
Less yay moto more boo everyone else

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dominator posted:

Less yay moto more boo everyone else

I tried for a few minutes to put this into words but couldn't, thank you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

BIG news. It shows you the commitment Verizon has to LTE and how fast things are going to move.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/20/verizon-looks-to-end-3g-service-go-all-4g-lte-by-2013/

Now if only they'd get an LTE handset with a keyboard.

Why oh why isn't the Droid 3 LTE? :cry:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Txiuct posted:

Will a rooted droid x be able to get an ota gingerbread update from verizon?

No, I am now rocking stock froyo in preparation for the ota update, I had upgraded to the leaked Gingerbread release, forgot how much stock sucked

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Droid X deal isn't working anymore. Bummer!

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Kyrosiris posted:

Now if only they'd get an LTE handset with a keyboard.

Why oh why isn't the Droid 3 LTE? :cry:
:ssh: It might be, it does have a SIM slot

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dominator posted:

I will literally drop huge stacks of cash at a Verizon store the second it comes out if it does.

vvv STOP SPOILING MY FAINT HOPES

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 25, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dominator posted:

That's because it's a global phone like the Droid 2 global, the Droid Pro, and Droid Incredible 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Pablo Gigante posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/25/gingerbread-finally-coming-to-droid-x-friday-droid-2-and-pro-to/

Droid X finally for real getting Gingerbread update this Friday

EDIT: Motherfuck!

:clint:

muckswirler posted:

Droid X deal isn't working anymore. Bummer!

Yeah, that sounds about right. After I order my kit, I quickly emailed my parents with instructions on how to get the deal. My dad gave it a try and by 2:00pm EST, the price went up to $49.97. He gave them a ring and the CSR on the phone said "Well... that item is $49.97". Sounds like the deal is indeed dead.

Now I wonder if they will honor all of those $20 packages. When I go to check the status of my order here, I get a "Page Not Found" error :ohdear:.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 25, 2011

• Locked thread