Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the subject of the Bionic, the general consensus right now is Tegra 2 is out and dual core OMAP (as found in the Droid 3) is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

On the subject of the Bionic, the general consensus right now is Tegra 2 is out and dual core OMAP (as found in the Droid 3) is in.

Very interesting, I thought the D3 was going to have a Tegra chugging along inside. I wonder if the Tegra wasn't playing nice with the LTE networks?? Seems like that might be the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The D3 was always supposed to be a dual core OMAP (I think possibly running at higher than 1ghz.)

From what's been talked about on Howardforums, the D3 is running CIRCLES around the Droid X2. So, the bionic should be better for the delay.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

From what's been talked about on Howardforums, the D3 is running CIRCLES around the Droid X2.

God damnit, as if I wasn't pissed enough that it's not LTE-capable.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The D3 was always supposed to be a dual core OMAP (I think possibly running at higher than 1ghz.)

From what's been talked about on Howardforums, the D3 is running CIRCLES around the Droid X2. So, the bionic should be better for the delay.

That sounds awesome, I think I suspected it was going to be dual core, I just assumed it was going to be the Tegra. I am going to be really interested to see how these other dual core CPUs compare to the Tegra in performance. Sounds like, at least compared to the OMAP, it might not do so well. Also awesome to hear about the upgrade in the Bionic, I know you had said a while ago that they were keeping it upgraded but I can't remember if there were any specific examples or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, I think Tegra 2 is going to be sort of a shunned generation of SoCs. Nvidia was pretty much a year behind schedule releasing it and it seems like companies are having problems doing everything they want with it. It's phone exposure is going to be very brief I think.

By the end of the year, everything is going to be dual core Snapdragon and OMAP with possibly a few quad core Kal El devices out (likely mostly in tablets.)

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Rowe posted:

Could you snap a couple of photos with it? I'm interested in seeing the picture quality.

Linked because they're full size.

Outside shot from shade, it's really bright outside.
http://i.imgur.com/MoN1n.jpg

Outside while in the sun, really bright sunlight, anything in the shade goes black.
http://i.imgur.com/PfxU8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9EOUU.jpg

Inside, no flash, kinda dim.
http://i.imgur.com/cWTRQ.jpg

Inside, with flash.
http://i.imgur.com/fCPWZ.jpg

The camera UI is tweaked a little, but they're nice changes. I prefer the LG camera app over the stock one.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Codiusprime posted:

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Woot woot!! I had my doubts that Verizon would let unlocked boot loaders on their network, but sweet deal!! They will allow them!

This does not mean what you think it does, read the first article referenced in that blog. It's status quo. They're saying that if you unlock the bootloader on your phone (like rooting a Thunderbolt) you can still use it on their network. They are not asking manufacturers to unlock the bootloader, no longer requiring a locked bootloader, or anything close to that.

Rowe
May 16, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

Pictures

Awesome, thanks for doing that!

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

This does not mean what you think it does, read the first article referenced in that blog. It's status quo. They're saying that if you unlock the bootloader on your phone (like rooting a Thunderbolt) you can still use it on their network. They are not asking manufacturers to unlock the bootloader, no longer requiring a locked bootloader, or anything close to that.

Yea, I never said any of that. Motorola said they would make their boot loaders unlockable unless the carrier required them to lock it down. There has been question as to whether Verizon would require them to lock it down, it doesn't look like they are going too. Unless I am misunderstanding what you said. Which is a possibility.

Edit: Maybe I didn't make myself clear in the original post. If I didn't, the above is what I meant. Unless, again, I am misunderstanding you or the Moto Tweet.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 28, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, at the end of the day, Verizon has to come out with a phone worth buying before we have to worry about whether or not the bootloader is locked.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Well, at the end of the day, Verizon has to come out with a phone worth buying before we have to worry about whether or not the bootloader is locked.

Sigh :(

This is true. One day...one day.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As the only one who has an Xperia Play here...I have to say I am really loving the device. Got Zenonia and Zenonia 2 on it and been playing those...having way more fun with those games than I ever did beforehand using a touchscreen. Asphalt 6 is also a blast to play. Crash Bandicoot is an old classic.

It may be an old chipset or whatever, but I don't care. This is easily THE gaming phone out now, and I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with touchscreen controls for gaming on a phone. It's...it's like a whole new world has opened up for me. :)

Kirios fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 28, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

As the only one who has an Xperia Play here...I have to say I am really loving the device. Got Zenonia and Zenonia 2 on it and been playing those...having way more fun with those games than I ever did beforehand using a touchscreen. Asphalt 6 is also a blast to play. Crash Bandicoot is an old classic.

It may be an old chipset or whatever, but I don't care. This is easily THE gaming phone out now, and I feel bad for anyone that has to deal with touchscreen controls for gaming on a phone. It's...it's like a whole new world has opened up for me. :)

Just a quick question that for some reason only brings up spam sites in a Google search—how do the popular emulators (Nesoid, Snesoid, etc) work on the Play? Can you configure the buttons to work properly in the emulators? I stopped by the Verizon store to check this out, but for some reason none of the emulators even showed up in the Market.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

Just a quick question that for some reason only brings up spam sites in a Google search—how do the popular emulators (Nesoid, Snesoid, etc) work on the Play? Can you configure the buttons to work properly in the emulators? I stopped by the Verizon store to check this out, but for some reason none of the emulators even showed up in the Market.

They may have been taken off, but Snes 9x was still there the last time I checked. It works flawlessly after testing it with quite a few games. It recognized the Xperia Play's controls and I was able to map them with no problems at all. If you're into that sort of thing, then this device is going to be the ultimate emulator phone as well. Apparently even N64oid works very well on it.

...now to find a way to get Nesoid and N64oid when they aren't on the marketplace. Any help with that?

ratna
Jan 4, 2007

new school disco cat

Kirios posted:

They may have been taken off, but Snes 9x was still there the last time I checked. It works flawlessly after testing it with quite a few games. It recognized the Xperia Play's controls and I was able to map them with no problems at all. If you're into that sort of thing, then this device is going to be the ultimate emulator phone as well. Apparently even N64oid works very well on it.

...now to find a way to get Nesoid and N64oid when they aren't on the marketplace. Any help with that?

https://slideme.org/user/yongzh

yongzh moved the emulators to SlideME for the time being. I think all of these also have save support as well.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
From the coupons/deals thread, Amazon has all of Verizon's 4G phones on sale for Memorial Day.

Verizon HTC Thunderbolt - $129.99
Verizon Samsung Droid Charge - $179.99
Verizon LG Revolution - $149.99

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
But alas, no free phones as rumored.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Cozmosis posted:

But alas, no free phones as rumored.

The other carriers have a couple free phones here and there, and all the WinMo7 phones are free with some sort of special offer afterwards...But nothing 4G for VZW. :\

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Matlock posted:

From the coupons/deals thread, Amazon has all of Verizon's 4G phones on sale for Memorial Day.

Verizon HTC Thunderbolt - $129.99
Verizon Samsung Droid Charge - $179.99
Verizon LG Revolution - $149.99

drat, the Thunderbolt goes up to $199 if you're on a family plan :sigh:

In fact, all the phones have about $70 tacked on from the individual price if you're on a family plan. Why the hell would they do that?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

I was all set to buy a Revolution, but I think I want the Charge for battery life alone. That, or wait for an EVO 3D.

Anything is better than this drat iPhone 3gs.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

In fact, all the phones have about $70 tacked on from the individual price if you're on a family plan. Why the hell would they do that?

Because Amazon gets paid less for renewing a secondary line which to Verizon only pulls in $9.99 in base-access revenue every month.

It sucks, I know, but I get it. Verizon subjects their own sales reps to the same reduced-payout for secondary line contract renewals.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Family plans are less profitable for Verizon.

Third party retailers get money from Verizon for each plan they sell. If they sell a plan with higher profit, they get more money.

Amazon's business model is to pass that money back to you as a discount; so when they get less money back, they can't take as much off.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Man, I've now read two reviews of the Droid X2 and neither one of them have been very good. The Androidpolice review was scathing, they hated the screen and the performance was sluggish. I think the other one was a CNet review or something and it wasn't as scathing but you could tell they weren't a fan. This is disappointing as the D3 was going to be a phone I was going to look at. Hopefully it is better than the X2.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Aurium posted:

Amazon's business model is to pass that money back to you as a discount; so when they get less money back, they can't take as much off.

So I take it I can't start an individual line, then merge it with my family plan without Amazon coming after me then. drat.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

parasyte posted:

So I take it I can't start an individual line, then merge it with my family plan without Amazon coming after me then. drat.

Well, if you wait around a year you can. If you change/downgrade your plan too soon they send you a bill.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Messing around a bit with the mobile hotspot on the Revolution while it's free, I gotta say, this is pretty drat slick. Turn it on, turn wifi on notebook, select phone, enter phone number as passphrase, done.

Pulling an easy 3Mbps on a quick speedtest. Not as fast as some on the phone, but not shabby at all.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

Messing around a bit with the mobile hotspot on the Revolution while it's free, I gotta say, this is pretty drat slick. Turn it on, turn wifi on notebook, select phone, enter phone number as passphrase, done.

Pulling an easy 3Mbps on a quick speedtest. Not as fast as some on the phone, but not shabby at all.

Is that 4G? That's pretty terrible.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Cozmosis posted:

Is that 4G? That's pretty terrible.

Guessing(hoping) he's not in a LTE-activated area.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

Guessing(hoping) he's not in a LTE-activated area.

I am actually. Though I'm in the middle of a building with 2 bars, and I didn't realize I had Pandora on at the time. A speedtest with that off shows about 3.7Mbps, but the closest server to the test is L.A., and I'm in Arizona...

If I scoot over to the phone and run the Ookla speedtest.net app I'm pulling down 7Mbps. So I'm not sure why I'm losing 3Mbps over the 4 feet of air between the two.

Edit: On the speedtest app it uses the Tempe server, which actually is the closest one to me. On the website from the notebook it defaults to Los Angeles. Speed gets worse if I manually select the same Tempe server.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Does anyone know if Verizon allows you to turn on the mobile hotspot of a phone for a week/month and then shutting it off. Most of the time I have access to wifi but when traveling its something I would want for a couple days and then want to turn it off.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
7mbps is about par for the course for Verizon LTE. Honestly, once you're able to stream without buffering and in a high bitrate, there's not really a huge need for faster speeds--for reference, here's a lovely Gizmodo page with LTE speeds from various places in the US: http://gizmodo.com/5704797/verizon-lte-speed-test-insanely-fast

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

god this blows posted:

Does anyone know if Verizon allows you to turn on the mobile hotspot of a phone for a week/month and then shutting it off. Most of the time I have access to wifi but when traveling its something I would want for a couple days and then want to turn it off.
Yes, it's a feature -- you can turn it on and off at will. And unlike how "mobile broadband" used to be, with the hotspot it appears that you can turn it off via the vzw website, rather than having to call in and have them gently caress up your plan, making you call again ... But I digress.

Just keep in mind that although the cost is prorated, so is the data limit -- that is, you can only use about 66MB x (days active) of data without overage charges.

I've never turned it on, then off, then back on in one billing cycle, though. Not sure how they'd handle that.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend jumping ship from Sprint to join a Verizon family plan. I was pushing him towards a Thunderbolt but is there anything coming out before August worth the wait?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rock2much posted:

I have a friend jumping ship from Sprint to join a Verizon family plan. I was pushing him towards a Thunderbolt but is there anything coming out before August worth the wait?

Supposedly the Droid 3 (3G) is June and the Bionic (LTE) is July, though nothing close to official has come down the wire on either phone yet. I'd caution against the Thunderbolt though, it has a plethora of problems.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Is Verizon also getting an SGS 2 phone? I primarily stick to the Sprint thread, sorry for the ignorance!

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Has anyone been getting the random reboots after the OTA update on the Thunderbolt? And if so any fixes? Or do I chuck this phone out the window...I'm so sick of it :(

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Has anyone been getting the random reboots after the OTA update on the Thunderbolt? And if so any fixes? Or do I chuck this phone out the window...I'm so sick of it :(

Verizon is reportedly replacing Thunderbolts with this problem. Call them.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Bleh Maestro posted:

It's a known issue, with a fix in the pipes.

rock2much posted:

Thanks. Is Verizon also getting an SGS 2 phone? I primarily stick to the Sprint thread, sorry for the ignorance!

None announced or rumored. The old LTE SGS 2 rumor eventually manifested as the droid charge, which is really more of an SGS 1. Verizon will probably eventually get one, but there's no current news of one at all.

doctor thodt posted:

Supposedly the Droid 3 (3G) is June and the Bionic (LTE) is July, though nothing close to official has come down the wire on either phone yet. I'd caution against the Thunderbolt though, it has a plethora of problems.

I assume you're referring to the mediocre battery life, and the above mentioned reboots, or do you have other issues with the thunderbolt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So here's a question - how long can I sit on my early-upgrade and final New Every Two discounts before they are lost to me? Can I extend my contract without buying a new phone and still retain them? Because I really don't want to blow them on, say, a Droid 3, but I'd rather buy a Droid 3 than lose them altogether while vainly waiting for a good (read: one with a hardware keyboard) LTE phone. :(

• Locked thread