Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Droid X Gingerbread update should be available now, I was able to pull it last night :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

Verizon is reportedly replacing Thunderbolts with this problem. Call them.

If I bought the phone at Best Buy should I go to them or straight to Verizon? Also I got that stupid Best Buy "black tie" protection, but I doubt they can do anything.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

So here's a question - how long can I sit on my early-upgrade and final New Every Two discounts before they are lost to me? Can I extend my contract without buying a new phone and still retain them? Because I really don't want to blow them on, say, a Droid 3, but I'd rather buy a Droid 3 than lose them altogether while vainly waiting for a good (read: one with a hardware keyboard) LTE phone. :(
When I bought my Droid 2, it was cheaper to buy it from Amazon than it was to buy it from Verizon and use my NE2.

So unless you're buying a phone day one, you probably won't miss it.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Got a desktop dock for my Revolution today, they sell one with and one without the spare battery, so if anyone else besides me gets a Revolution, make sure you get the one you want. The item number with the battery has -B on the end of it. They sent me the wrong one (sans battery), stopped by a store and got it exchanged no problem though.

The dock itself will hold the phone with the extended battery if you have it, and the spare battery charging slot on the back will also hold a extended or standard battery.

If you pop a phone and a battery into it, it will charge up the phone first, then the battery. It has to be plugged into the AC adapter for it to charge the battery though.

Now I'm just waiting for clockwork recovery to update then I can void my warranty good and proper.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kyrosiris posted:

So here's a question - how long can I sit on my early-upgrade and final New Every Two discounts before they are lost to me?
By early upgrade, do you mean Annual Upgrade? If so, seems like you can sit on it forever (or technically for eight months, at which point it's moot since you'd be eligible for the standard 20-month upgrade):

quote:

New lines of service will no longer be enrolled in the Annual Upgrade program. If you are currently enrolled, you may redeem your Annual upgrade one more time after fulfilling 13 months of your two-year term or you may wait until after month 20 to redeem your New Every Two credit.

As for NE2:

quote:

New lines of service will no longer be enrolled in the New Every Two program. If you are currently enrolled, you may redeem your New Every Two benefit one more time for up to six months after fulfilling 20 months of your two-year term.
So, looks like it's up to 26 months after you last signed a contract.

quote:

Can I extend my contract without buying a new phone and still retain them?
I don't understand why you'd want to extend a contract without buying a subsidized phone.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't understand why you'd want to extend a contract without buying a subsidized phone.

In the event of unlimited data going the way of the do-do it would be cool to be able to buy 4 years worth of the plan, worry about phones later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AppleCobbler posted:

In the event of unlimited data going the way of the do-do it would be cool to be able to buy 4 years worth of the plan, worry about phones later.

That is unlikely to help you.

Verizon typically requires certain feature codes per device. If/when they introduce tiered data plans, they will likely require all new phones released after that date to use one of the tiered data feature codes and have the unlimited ones locked out. That means, if you want to buy one of those phones retail, you will have to change the features on your account so that they meet the requirements of the device (in that case it would be tiered data.)

They will not be breaking the terms of your contract by doing so either which would get you out of an ETF. Your contract does not ensure that you will be able to buy the latest and greatest LTE phone full retail and activate it on your plan. Since you would still be able to use the plan on the device you were originally using with it, they are fulfilling their end of the contract.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure about that? I had an unlimited data plan with MobileBroadband and like 2 years ago when they switched to tiered, Verizon told me if I so much as sneeze on my account I'll lose the unlimited, but leave everything alone and I'm grandfathered in.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I wasn't sure if they did month-to-month plans that'd let me keep the features I currently have, so. :shobon:

Thanks for the answers, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hamburglar posted:

Are you sure about that? I had an unlimited data plan with MobileBroadband and like 2 years ago when they switched to tiered, Verizon told me if I so much as sneeze on my account I'll lose the unlimited, but leave everything alone and I'm grandfathered in.

Doesn't changing equipment qualify as sneezing?

One recent case I think think of is when they started requiring dataplans for smartphones. There was a distinct device cutoff. You could no longer pay per mb of data on newer phones, you were required to add the unlimited data plan feature on your account.

If you wanted to use an older device, you could retain the pay per mb feature, but if you wanted something newer you had to change to the unlimited data plan.

They did the same thing with featurephones for awhile. You simply could not use one of the newer featurephones unless you added one of the dataplan features to your account.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

bull3964 posted:

That is unlikely to help you.

Verizon typically requires certain feature codes per device. If/when they introduce tiered data plans, they will likely require all new phones released after that date to use one of the tiered data feature codes and have the unlimited ones locked out. That means, if you want to buy one of those phones retail, you will have to change the features on your account so that they meet the requirements of the device (in that case it would be tiered data.)

They will not be breaking the terms of your contract by doing so either which would get you out of an ETF. Your contract does not ensure that you will be able to buy the latest and greatest LTE phone full retail and activate it on your plan. Since you would still be able to use the plan on the device you were originally using with it, they are fulfilling their end of the contract.

That may have been true on previous Verizon handsets, but LTE equipped phones come with LTE simcards, which should allow a greater degree of interoperability.

I recognize though that this is all conjecture at this point

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SIM card doesn't mean the phone model is unknown to them. They can still lock features down per device if they want to. I agree that whether they will or not is conjecture, I just wouldn't count on getting a contract now with a Thunderbolt and being able to keep that unlimited LTE data later with one of their new phones, regardless of whether you re-sign.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also, LTE phones will still also require a CDMA radio to operate on Verizon's network for the forseeable future, so your choices of device would be pretty limited.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Doesn't changing equipment qualify as sneezing?

One recent case I think think of is when they started requiring dataplans for smartphones. There was a distinct device cutoff. You could no longer pay per mb of data on newer phones, you were required to add the unlimited data plan feature on your account.

If you wanted to use an older device, you could retain the pay per mb feature, but if you wanted something newer you had to change to the unlimited data plan.

They did the same thing with featurephones for awhile. You simply could not use one of the newer featurephones unless you added one of the dataplan features to your account.

Believe it or not, in my scenario, changing devices did not in fact count. I kept switching between these two PCMCIA and USB models I had for whatever reason. However, I did not upgrade to a newer device; perhaps that would have messed me up. By "sneezing" I meant changing anything about my account/plan.

The device thing is interesting, though. What if, a month from now, Verizon enacts (not just announces, but begins doing it) bandwidth caps. As soon as I hear about this, I buy a Thunderbolt. Would this be a "tough poo poo, bought it too late" scenario? Or would it be a thing where the Thunderbolt is never going to be capped because it was released beforehand?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's hard to say before it happens. Typically, it seems that plan changes are known at least a few days ahead of their start date so you should be able to sidestep it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

It's hard to say before it happens. Typically, it seems that plan changes are known at least a few days ahead of their start date so you should be able to sidestep it.

I know. I'm still on a piece of poo poo Windows Mobile 6.5 phone because I'm basically waiting until the last possible second (Verizon announces data caps) before I buy my Android phone. Hoping for a 4g with a physical keyboard but if it never happens I'll obviously switch before they change over.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Any users have the incredible 2? The "metal" finish and larger screen has me very interested but I just cant justify upgrading from the original incredible without dual core/lte being the ~future~.

cats
May 11, 2009
I picked up a Thunderbolt over Memorial Day weekend.
4G on - battery died in about 3 hours
4G off - battery died in about 6 hours
4G off, installed one of those "power saving" apps (Green Power, free version) - ~50% battery power after 18 hours. amazing.

Are there any drawbacks to the battery saving apps? Why are they so magical? Before I downloaded Green Power I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the phone but now I love it 100%.

Android Thumper
Jan 21, 2005
I was born a poor Black child.
I've had my Droid for nearly two years now, and I'm just dying to get this thing upgraded. Should I just stick it out for a Droid Bionic? (Living in an LTE covered zone currently.) It seems Verizon's offerings of smartphones have been pitiful lately, especially 4G phones.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

Pianist On Strike posted:

I picked up a Thunderbolt over Memorial Day weekend.
4G on - battery died in about 3 hours
4G off - battery died in about 6 hours
4G off, installed one of those "power saving" apps (Green Power, free version) - ~50% battery power after 18 hours. amazing.

Are there any drawbacks to the battery saving apps? Why are they so magical? Before I downloaded Green Power I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the phone but now I love it 100%.

:ssh: they turn off your auto-syncing and data connection when your screen isn't on

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ yeah, what he said.

Pianist On Strike posted:

Why are they so magical?
From its description, it's not magical -- it seems to turn your phone into a poller rather than using push.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Is that such a bad thing?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is that such a bad thing?

Not at all, I use JuiceDefender on my T-bolt. I don't know how much better it is, since as soon as I use my phone, my battery life goes back to being garbage. It's useful if you're not the type to use the phone much, but as soon as those radios come into use and the screen is on, it goes back to draining super fast.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does it make any difference on battery life whether I'm auto-syncing one account or multiples?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

velocross posted:

Any users have the incredible 2? The "metal" finish and larger screen has me very interested but I just cant justify upgrading from the original incredible without dual core/lte being the ~future~.

There's almost no reason whatsoever to go for the Inc 2 at this point. Like you said, it doesn't have dual core OR LTE, and it's also one of the special new encrypted-bootoader HTC phones, so you don't even have the "near-infinite hackability" advantage there.

Basically, unless you REALLY love Sense 3.0 and/or absolutely need to buy a new phone, like, this week, you have every reason to hold off. And even if you do need a new phone this week, the Xperia Play, the Revolution (unless Bing really bothers you), and the Droid Charge (I know, I know, Samsung) are equally worth a look. The X2, too, unless you like ROMing or the PenTile screen bothers you.

Rumour has the Droid 3 landing sometime in early June, and the Bionic at some indeterminate point after that.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Penguissimo posted:

There's almost no reason whatsoever to go for the Inc 2 at this point. Like you said, it doesn't have dual core OR LTE, and it's also one of the special new encrypted-bootoader HTC phones, so you don't even have the "near-infinite hackability" advantage there.

Basically, unless you REALLY love Sense 3.0 and/or absolutely need to buy a new phone, like, this week, you have every reason to hold off. And even if you do need a new phone this week, the Xperia Play, the Revolution (unless Bing really bothers you), and the Droid Charge (I know, I know, Samsung) are equally worth a look. The X2, too, unless you like ROMing or the PenTile screen bothers you.

Rumour has the Droid 3 landing sometime in early June, and the Bionic at some indeterminate point after that.

Actually if you don't care about 4G, the Dinc2 is a great phone. Without 4G, Its like a Thunderbolt that doesn't force close 30 times a day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That may be so, but it's still not a huge leap over the original incredible unless you really have to have that front facing camera or 4" screen.

That's pretty much my same complaint with the Thunderbolt. It's an Evo with an LTE radio stuffed in it and the Evo came out last year (yes I know there are some minor revisions in the SoC, but it's not a huge jump.)

So far we've had last gen phone + LTE x 3 on Verizon. I want next gen phone + LTE and it looks like we are going to have to wait for the Bionic for that to happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, here are the latest Bionic rumors and they have pretty much been confirmed on Howardforums.

Dual Core 1.2ghz (TI OMAP 44xx)
1GB RAM (may be somewhat negated by the inclusion of WebTop)
16G Internal Storage
4.3inch screen QHD display with Gorilla Glass
LTE (of course)
HDMI out
New design that's different from CES but may have already been leaked as Targa screenshots

Mid August is the current projected release.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

FYI, here are the latest Bionic rumors and they have pretty much been confirmed on Howardforums.

Dual Core 1.2ghz (TI OMAP 44xx)
1GB RAM (may be somewhat negated by the inclusion of WebTop)
16G Internal Storage
4.3inch screen QHD display with Gorilla Glass
LTE (of course)
HDMI out
New design that's different from CES but may have already been leaked as Targa screenshots

Mid August is the current projected release.

Maybe I'll finally be able to upgrade from my original Droid in Mid August. I'm going to miss my hardware keyboard, but it really looks like my options for that suck since the Droid 3 won't be LTE.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I don't get this fascination with hardware keyboards. Sure they are a convenient option but right now LTE phones are already so big a keyboard would just add too much bulk anyway. Plus you have to change the screen orientation anytime you have to type something? I don't get it. Soft keyboards are extremely simple to use and with swipe and other word recognition you can type much faster in my opinion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bleh Maestro posted:

I don't get this fascination with hardware keyboards. Sure they are a convenient option but right now LTE phones are already so big a keyboard would just add too much bulk anyway.

I would have no problem with something about the size of, say, the Droid 2 Global. It's not that big at all.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Plus you have to change the screen orientation anytime you have to type something? I don't get it. Soft keyboards are extremely simple to use and with swipe and other word recognition you can type much faster in my opinion.

So what if I have to change the orientation? And Swype is stupid, I can't stand that garbage (and trust me, I've tried - I forced myself to go without my hard keyboard for a week and loathed it). I also don't like how I lose a good half (portrait) to three-quarters (landscape) of my screen to the drat keyboard, either.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Just a heads up to other Thunderbolt users: if you have an in-store associate witness you do a data Reset and note it on your account, the phone reps will mail you a replacement phone with zero hassle, if you continue having stability issues.

The downside is that the new phone will probably be just as bad, if not worse than your old one. I got a tiny scratch on my screen so I thought I might as well get a replacement. The new one still has all the reboot & Sense crashes the old one had, and also has some construction issue where the right side of the screen isn't fully tightened down, so it sometimes "lifts up" above the side plastic bezel. Doesn't matter much if you use a case, but it's still concerning.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

I don't get this fascination with hardware keyboards. Sure they are a convenient option but right now LTE phones are already so big a keyboard would just add too much bulk anyway. Plus you have to change the screen orientation anytime you have to type something? I don't get it. Soft keyboards are extremely simple to use and with swipe and other word recognition you can type much faster in my opinion.

I'm a big guy with big hands, even with a four inch screen I sometimes find typing difficult. I can type way faster on the Droids crappy little keyboard than I can on my Fascinate. What works for you might not work for others.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Would an LG VX8700 require a data plan? Besides to use the internet/data, obviously.

It looks like a dumb phone but I want to make sure before I buy it on ebay for my family plan.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Bleh Maestro posted:

If I bought the phone at Best Buy should I go to them or straight to Verizon? Also I got that stupid Best Buy "black tie" protection, but I doubt they can do anything.

Go through Best Buy. Your blacktie is tied to your ESN on the phone, so if you get a new phone from Vzw it will be clustfuck when you do try and use your GSBTP. They would send it to service, and it's usually 3-5 days turn around for a refurb unit.

EvilMoFo posted:

Would an LG VX8700 require a data plan? Besides to use the internet/data, obviously.

It looks like a dumb phone but I want to make sure before I buy it on ebay for my family plan.

Doesn't need any type of data plans. Just things with iOS, Android, Blackkberry, webOS, Windows 7.

Also, not to be too much of a troll, but why do people like HTC so much? Almost every single one of their phones has issues, and sometimes really big issues, but people continue to talk about the "amazing build quality and support" of HTC phones. I know every manufacturer has issues, but people seem to think HTC has none.

Rent fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Rent posted:

Also, not to be too much of a troll, but why do people like HTC so much? Almost every single one of their phones has issues, and sometimes really big issues, but people continue to talk about the "amazing build quality and support" of HTC phones. I know every manufacturer has issues, but people seem to think HTC has none.
they made the best windows mobile phones, they were the standard that every other manufacturer aimed for

I always wished they would make a form factor that didnt suck (ie: vertical physical keyboard) so I could get one, instead I got samsung wm phones that are annoyingly unsupported in the modding community

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 3, 2011

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

I also don't like how I lose a good half (portrait) to three-quarters (landscape) of my screen to the drat keyboard, either.

This is a huge part of it for me -- while most of the softkey-only phones are starting to have larger screens, you lose so much of that when the keyboard appears that I'd much rather have the physical keyboard save me from losing that screen space. Of course, typing is also more comfortable with the physical keyboard as well.

I guess I feel somewhat spoiled by getting to use an Epic and an Evo Shift for work, that makes me wonder why Verizon can't have something similar.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

EvilMoFo posted:

they made the best windows mobile phones, they were the standard that every other manufacturer aimed for

I always wished they would make a form factor that didnt suck (ie: vertical physical keyboard) so I could get one, instead I got samsung wm phones that are annoyingly unsupported in the modding community

Indeed. I remember telling my brother once that HTC could do no wrong, and when it came to WinMo, they made some GREAT phones for the day. The Shadow was a great example-it was a cheap candy bar Windows Mobile phone that could run circles around my brother's iPaq. Now though......

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Professorbx posted:

Indeed. I remember telling my brother once that HTC could do no wrong, and when it came to WinMo, they made some GREAT phones for the day. The Shadow was a great example-it was a cheap candy bar Windows Mobile phone that could run circles around my brother's iPaq. Now though......

Can't speak for the Thunderbolt, but other than a known micro USB issue with the Evo HTC has a solid solid lineup on Sprint. Honestly, beyond the fact that every HTC phone I have personally owned has been great, my exchange/return rate on HTCs is easily half that of Samsung. LG is really good overall too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
The only issue I have with htc is their unwillingness to use a bigger battery. I mean seriously, a 1400 mah battery on a 4.3 in slcd with a 4g radio?! And people have complained about that poo poo forever. The incredible was nice, but cept the battery sucked. The Evo was amazing, cept the battery sucked. The Thunderbolt literally had to come stock with a fatass battery door and extended battery because of was that bad.

• Locked thread