Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Great windows phones? I don't know about Verizon phones, but the Mogul, TP, and TP2 had an unbelievable amount of issues.

Anyways, just curious. Seems like you're hosed regardless; Motoblur lol, Samsung has a plethora of issues and can't get a GPS signal to save your life, and HTC constantly seems to have issues as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rent posted:

Great windows phones? I don't know about Verizon phones, but the Mogul, TP, and TP2 had an unbelievable amount of issues.

Eh? I had a TP2 from about the time they came out to about a month ago and never had issues with mine.

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
2.3.3 just pushed to my Droid X and it's totally awesome so far. I'm definitely seeing performance increases across the board, and I love the visual effects.

I noticed that in the settings menu, under Wireless and Networks, it DOES list USB tethering and Wifi Hotspot, seemingly independently of vzw's official 3G Mobile Hotspot program. I'm a neurotic guy, though, so if I start playing with those settings, will that run the real android tethering stuff, or will it only run the over-priced fees of vzw's custom tethering programs?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

IanCaw posted:

2.3.3 just pushed to my Droid X and it's totally awesome so far. I'm definitely seeing performance increases across the board, and I love the visual effects.

I noticed that in the settings menu, under Wireless and Networks, it DOES list USB tethering and Wifi Hotspot, seemingly independently of vzw's official 3G Mobile Hotspot program. I'm a neurotic guy, though, so if I start playing with those settings, will that run the real android tethering stuff, or will it only run the over-priced fees of vzw's custom tethering programs?
Turning it on won't cause you to auto-sign up or anything. It's just when you load a web page it will redirect you to their website with the list of plans.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

IanCaw posted:

Not sure about the USB part, but the wifi hotspot is tied to Verizon -- not sure if it's a custom app or just a setting in the Android app.

If it puts your mind at ease, you can't "accidentally" turn on the hotspot. If you turn it on, then the device that tethers to the phone will have a browser popup telling you to (and allowing you to) subscribe to the hotspot feature.

Android Thumper
Jan 21, 2005
I was born a poor Black child.

bull3964 posted:

FYI, here are the latest Bionic rumors and they have pretty much been confirmed on Howardforums.

Dual Core 1.2ghz (TI OMAP 44xx)
1GB RAM (may be somewhat negated by the inclusion of WebTop)
16G Internal Storage
4.3inch screen QHD display with Gorilla Glass
LTE (of course)
HDMI out
New design that's different from CES but may have already been leaked as Targa screenshots

Mid August is the current projected release.
Just wanted to thank you for putting down this information. Those specs are very exciting. I can't wait to upgrade from my original Droid. Waiting til August is lame, though!

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.
Anyone else having the 2.3 update for the droid X slow your phone down a lot? the first hour or so after i boot up my phone is just unusably slow. I really hate wiping my phone, so if i can avoid that, i would love to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More bionic info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/#more-35622

And now I'm unsure. 4.5" is just a tad too large for me. If that's the Atrix that it's next to, this phone is going to be massive.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Jesus that's big... :smith:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Wow. I'll need to try that out in person I guess, that does seem crazy big.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's possible that's the Defy next to it and not the Atrix which would make the size seem less extreme

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

bull3964 posted:

It's possible that's the Defy next to it and not the Atrix which would make the size seem less extreme

You're right, it is the Defy. The Atrix is more rounded at the top and bottom.

Anyone with the Charge experiencing overheating with the car charger and navigation?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

More bionic info.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/06/more-droid-bionic-pictures-surface-4-5-qhd-screen-new-3d-blur-and-android-2-3-4/#more-35622

And now I'm unsure. 4.5" is just a tad too large for me. If that's the Atrix that it's next to, this phone is going to be massive.

It has the same sort of bottom bevel that the Droid 1/2/2G have.

Please oh please let that mean it has a keyboard... :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

More bionic info.

Is it August yet :ohdear:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

More bionic info.

Has there been any word on whether this is the phone with which Moto will begin to make good on their unlocked bootloader half-assed semi-promise?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Moto said they'd start unlocking bootloaders in late 2011, so there's no reason to expect this one to be unlocked.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Oh man the Bionic looks ridiculous. If it's any good I'd definitely consider dumping my Thunderbolt for it.

Is it wrong to believe that it's going to be in the $600 price range without renewal?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
If this has a locked bootloader, I really hope it flops.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I was having some weird issues tonight with my Revolution, phone said it was on 4G, three bars, but nothing was downloading. I could see the arrow for upload trying, but I had no network. After about 15 minutes it finally kicked down to 3G and I had a great signal and speed.

Is there an easy (Read, widget toggle type easy) way yet to turn 4G off or force it to use 3G if this type of thing happens?

Edit: On a side note, I've used 7GB of data this cycle. Ye gads.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

chupacabraTERROR posted:

If this has a locked bootloader, I really hope it flops.
A locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for anyone but huge phone nerds, if it is a good phone it will sell boatloads.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

dominator posted:

A locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for anyone but huge phone nerds, if it is a good phone it will sell boatloads.

Right, but phone nerds won't tell their family/friends to buy a locked phone. And we're the ones they ask when they're buying a phone anyway. My mom, for example, is not a phone nerd. She keeps phones for way past her 2 year contract. I will not advise her to get a smartphone that I can't install ROMs/the newest OS/kernels on 3-4 years down the line when Verizon tells her to gently caress off.

You are right, it will probably sell well if it's a good phone even if it's locked, but I still hope that the effect of the community's bitching about bootloaders starts seeing some results on industry's bottom line.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Please please please have an NFC chip.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

dominator posted:

While a locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for me, being unrootable would be a huge deal breaker here.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

PirateDentist posted:

I was having some weird issues tonight with my Revolution, phone said it was on 4G, three bars, but nothing was downloading. I could see the arrow for upload trying, but I had no network. After about 15 minutes it finally kicked down to 3G and I had a great signal and speed.

Is there an easy (Read, widget toggle type easy) way yet to turn 4G off or force it to use 3G if this type of thing happens?

Edit: On a side note, I've used 7GB of data this cycle. Ye gads.

My thunderbolt does the same thing. It's extremely annoying. It seems like it's only in certain areas but lately it's been doing it more and more. I have barely used 4G for a while now though. Makes me ashamed that that's why I bought the drat phone.

There's an app that turns 4g on/off for Tbolt, but not sure if it works for the other 4G phones. Its called LTE on/off I believe. There's other ones out there too.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few videos of the Droid 3 in action. Doesn't really tell you anything new about the phone, but you get a much more detailed look of the form factor.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nice! Droid 3 has a keyboard, now I just gotta pray for 4g and it being a world phone (probably will since Droid X was global) and be rootable and I'm there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hamburglar posted:

Nice! Droid 3 has a keyboard, now I just gotta pray for 4g and it being a world phone (probably will since Droid X was global) and be rootable and I'm there.

It will be a world phone, but it will not be 4G. That's pretty much certain at this point.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

It will be a world phone, but it will not be 4G. That's pretty much certain at this point.

Cripes, I was a cunthair away from the perfect phone for me. I'll just keep waiting.

To be honest, 4g isn't of utmost importance, but since I basically wireless tether all day I'd benefit greatly from it, I'm sure.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
So, for those of you waiting on the SGS2, you get to wait until sometime in July, apparently.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Aurium posted:

So, for those of you waiting on the SGS2, you get to wait until sometime in July, apparently.

Already outed as a miscommunication, unfortunately.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
What's up with this Thunderbolt rebooting poo poo? It's done it a couple times, but no big deal, but tonight I was on the phone and it rebooted itself. If I root and put a ROM on, will that fix it? Or is there word when a new update is coming out to fix it?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Panthrax posted:

What's up with this Thunderbolt rebooting poo poo? It's done it a couple times, but no big deal, but tonight I was on the phone and it rebooted itself. If I root and put a ROM on, will that fix it? Or is there word when a new update is coming out to fix it?

The OTA update apparently caused that. If you take it to the Verizon store, they are instructed to replace them. If you really get irate and upset, you can probably convince them to give you a Charge or a Revolution if you'd rather get something else.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Panthrax posted:

A fix is in the works and is coming out later this month, according to a leaked memo.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Before I waste my time tomorrow, can someone tell me if I have my thinking correct:

I have a DROID 1 as of now, which I am beginning to loathe.
I am not due for an upgrade until next year (February 2012) but my father's line has an upgrade available. I am allowed to use his upgrade on my line since my parents keep their dumbphones.

If I got to the VZW store tomorrow, will I only need to pay $199 plus tax for the iPhone 4? I can get the "discounted" 2-year contract price for any of the phones that have that special going on, such as $249.99 for the HTC Revolution, etc, correct?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

chomper posted:

Before I waste my time tomorrow, can someone tell me if I have my thinking correct:

I have a DROID 1 as of now, which I am beginning to loathe.
I am not due for an upgrade until next year (February 2012) but my father's line has an upgrade available. I am allowed to use his upgrade on my line since my parents keep their dumbphones.

If I got to the VZW store tomorrow, will I only need to pay $199 plus tax for the iPhone 4? I can get the "discounted" 2-year contract price for any of the phones that have that special going on, such as $249.99 for the HTC Revolution, etc, correct?

The Revolution is an LG phone, but you're correct about everything else. If you're using an upgrade, you're eligible for the 2-year contract price.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chomper posted:

Yes, it's just like using your own line's upgrade, except your father's line's contract will be extended, not yours. You'll have to be an "authorized user" (or whatever the term they use is) for the account in order to do it.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Penguissimo posted:

The Revolution is an LG phone, but you're correct about everything else. If you're using an upgrade, you're eligible for the 2-year contract price.

Durrr, I can't read... thought HTC Revolution sounded weird.

Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure I didn't go up there to waste time.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, it's just like using your own line's upgrade, except your father's line's contract will be extended, not yours. You'll have to be an "authorized user" (or whatever the term they use is) for the account in order to do it.

I see, that's why I was confused. Didn't know which line was getting extended.

I'm an authorized user but they still make me call the primary line (my mother) to verify, no big deal though.

Thank you guys!

Since i'm upgrading soon, what phones should I look at?
I'm coming from an OG Moto Droid... which I enjoyed for awhile but looking for something different (i've rooted and done all that as well), which is why i'm considering the iPhone.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

If you can wait, it looks like the Droid Bionic is the new Jesus phone and coming out in late summer.

I went from an OG Droid to a DX and now a Thunderbolt. Despite its poor battery life which I rectify by switching to 3G when not in use, I'm happy with my phone. It can be rooted, get its bootloader unlocked and has a large 3rd party following if that's your thing.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The unfortunate thing about VZW's lineup right now is that you basically have to choose between next-gen specs and 4G. If you live in a 4G area and it's a priority to you, the Droid Charge is probably the best choice right now (despite it being a Samsung), since the Thunderbolt is riddled with bugs right now and gets like six hours of battery life, although this is supposed to be fixed with an OTA update soonish. The Revolution is decent, but Bing-ified to hell and back. It should be rootable and re-Googleable, though. If you don't live in an area that has (or is about to get) 4G, don't even bother with any of the 4G phones. All of them are basically last year's model with a 4G radio duct-taped to the back.

As far as non-4G phones, the Droid X2 has some powerful hardware, but a locked bootloader, so rooting/ROMing options will be limited. The Incredible 2 is a less beastly but still capable phone, although nobody knows if HTC's new unlocked bootloader policy will be applied retroactively. And if you can wait a few weeks, the Droid 3 is supposed to be hitting shelves near the end of June, and the Bionic a little after that (as this guy ^^^ mentioned). Of course, with all of the Moto phones, you have a locked bootloader to contend with. The Xperia Play is actually a respectable piece of hardware if you don't mind (or even want) the gamepad, and it's complete with stock Android and an unlocked bootloader. Only time will tell how well the dev community supports it, though.

Obviously you want to avoid any of last year's models (Fascinate, Droid 2, Droid Pro, and oh god especially the Continuum). Unfortunately, Verizon's lineup is at a bit of a transitory phase right now, with a lot of awesome stuff slated for "near future" release, so the longer you can hold off, the more choices you'll have.

And of course there's always the iPhone, but make sure you play around with it for a good while before picking it up. I know I've felt pretty constrained by iOS after having used Android for so long, since it's missing so many features (widgets, the ability to change the keyboard/launcher, a non-braindead notification system, quick access to WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS toggles, etc), although some of these are supposed to be fixed in iOS 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Thanks for the suggestions... i'm not in a 4G area right now so that's not a priority.

I'll probably just wait for the Bionic, it looks dope!

• Locked thread