Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This thread is interesting as I only watched the serieses casually cause my roomate was a huge fan, so I have no idea how the rest of the internet saw it. For what it's worth I did like how SG1 slowly increased in technology until they had better and better ships though what the hell was up with Vala getting pregnant and then stealing daniels body or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I would watch SG-1 all the time when Sci-fi played back to back episodes on Mondays. I remember my interest waned when they brought the new guy to replace O'Neill and I didn't really have too much interest in SGA because I might be dumb and didn't think that the actors/characters/whatever played off each other as well as I was used to.

Since finding out that SG-1 is on Hulu I've been watching from the beginning since I've always meant to do that. It is really interesting so far (Emancipation excluded) and I am excited to finally see some of the plot that I never got to see while watching the random episodes all those Mondays ago.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Yehudis Basya posted:

I always thought Senator Kinsey, Maybourne, Samiels, etc. had a point in that the stargate program was really too dangerous to actively operate: too many diseases brought back and not enough alien tech. Though I really loved the episode where they specifically address this very issue and O'Neill becomes An Official Bad Guy with Maybourne's black ops team.

They brought back a shitload of alien tech, they just didn't share it/forgot about it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Palleon posted:

Ori are still better than the Lucian Alliance. At least they had a purpose and power beyond "earn a galactic monopoly on space corn and twist our mustaches".

But it wasn't just space corn. It was, and I quote, "Evil Orville Redinbocker."

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

I enjoyed almost all of SG-1; there's only a couple lovely, lovely, lovely episodes (New Ground, season three; The Changeling, season six) that I can remember off the top of my head. At some point the show tried to be darker and more serious than was good for it, namely with some of the Sokar plotlines, but then it improved again. It's at its best when it doesn't take itself too seriously.

When Atlantis started I had my doubts, but within just a few episodes it proved it was really really good. The first season is amazingly good with episodes like Poisoning the Well and the mid-season two-parter. I was let down by the first season finale though! I would have preferred the writers not copping out that soon... In any case, start watching Atlantis when you get to season eight of SG-1. It was a great time when in one day you got TWO episodes of new Stargate! It was basically guaranteed that at least one of them was very entertaining.

Stargate Universe is the underdog of the bunch. It suffered from trying to be something new, focusing on different kinds of stories like the private lives, internal power struggles, boat-related amnesia and marital crises of the characters. Also perhaps not having the pressure of making a stellar first season could have contributed, since the showmakers had landed a two-season deal right out the door due to having two great Stargate series under their belt already. They then over-extended creatively. As we all know, the ride was short. I didn't mind SGU, I watched all of it (I don't skip episodes like some people seem to do) and it did improve in the latter half of the first season already, and definitely in the second season, but the damage was done. The loss of viewers was also exacerbated by the network politics making GBS threads on it and making it harder to gain them back. If you liked Stargate, you might want to give SGU a go. If you liked all of BSG, you might want to give SGU a go. If you've never seen any Stargate, you might enjoy SGU quite a bit.

There's my two cents for now.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I find it ironic that one of the major criticisms of Universe from die hard SG1 and Atlantis fans is that the first season is too formulaic.

Anyway, i'm trying to slowly make my way through SG1 and Atlantis for the first time. I found Children of the Gods to be a bit tedious (although tits), and I haven't gotten around to watching the second episode as a result.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think one of the things that made SG1 so great is that it played with a lot of the cliches of sci-fi, like O'neill would often comment about how goofy the villains always acted and stuff, and directly in the series they would mention why they can't just take their time machine and go back and smother Hitler in is cradle, they don't know how badly that will gently caress up the time line.

I think one of my all time favorite SG moments of any series is when Sheppard is attached to the underside of a Wraith crusider in his f-203 and going "can i survive in hyperspace?" and he thinks back to overhearing Rodney and Radack talking about it, but all he can remember is flirting with a cute girl on another table. He then remarks to himself "I need to pay more attention".

A lot of people really hated Ronan, but he was a million time better than Teyla, and for stoic alien bad rear end, he was written fairly well. Moama is awesome in Game of Thrones, and I hope Conan doesn't suck, even though the teaser looks like rear end.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Man, Friday nights on SciFi used to be awesome:

SG-1
SG Atlantis
Battlestar Galactica

Sit back and reflect on that when you're flipping through the channels on Friday night and see wrestling on SyFy.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Emancipation was a terrible episode but it had one of the best quotes of the series, "What is an Oprah?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Goon posted:

I find it ironic that one of the major criticisms of Universe from die hard SG1 and Atlantis fans is that the first season is too formulaic.

Well the season 1 formula was pretty terrible so there's that.

I mean having the ship just up and save everyone is such a copout and they used it so much. And the stones were just the worst plot device I have ever seen in television.

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I think one of my all time favorite SG moments of any series is when Sheppard is attached to the underside of a Wraith crusider in his f-203 and going "can i survive in hyperspace?" and he thinks back to overhearing Rodney and Radack talking about it, but all he can remember is flirting with a cute girl on another table. He then remarks to himself "I need to pay more attention".
This, and the moments like when a frustrated Rodney comments on how the solutions often rely on him doing something impossible in no time flat - "Look, why don't I just go on these missions by myself, hmm?" Wouldn't have guessed how awesome that character ended up being when we first saw him on SG-1 just a couple of times.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
As a SSgt in the Air Force, I've always been appreciative of the authenticity they work into the show.

It was horrid in the first season of SG-1 and original movie:
- one guy (I think Kawalski) wearing TSgt AND Major rank insignia
- Buttoning the BDU's all the way up
- Stargate control room personnel wearing service dress uniform
- actors somehow unable to render a proper military salute
- Wearing random berets (and wearing them improperly at that)

But later on they really nailed it:
- When Carter got promoted to Major, it was almost dead-on like a real promotion ceremony
- Calling Lieutenants "butter bars" and "El-tee"
- Regulation dress uniforms (great attention to detail on those)
- People putting their hats on as they exit buildings/taking them off when entering

It's subtle stuff like that which makes active duty service members appreciate the work they put in to making it authentic. There's other stuff, like the SGU fatigues and P90s instead of M4s that I can forgive because I think those were aesthetic choices, and undestandable "in-universe".

e: One thing that did bother me was seeing Airman First Class cooks on Icarus base and later on destiny. As if an 18 year old could enlist in the services career field (the dopes who hand out basket balls and shovel food on plates), get top secret clearances, and their first duty station is off world...

MisterFusion fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 26, 2011

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Replicators where the best enemy they introduced when they first came in, then they milked them, pussified them and finally borg'd them to hell and back.

An unstoppable, unfightable, emotionless swarm of machines that's only function is to replicate and expand, doesn't care about time or revenge or anything whatsoever. Great stuff.

Then they ruined them. Over and over and over and over.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Rodney is my favorite character across the whole series. Hewlett played that role perfectly. I loved the episodes that featured his relationship with his sister. And the episode with the painting of him and Shepherd and that girl- ohhhh it was amazing.

IRQ posted:

I mean having the ship just up and save everyone is such a copout and they used it so much. And the stones were just the worst plot device I have ever seen in television.

There were some good season 1 episodes, though- like "Time". And once they started using the stones effectively in season 2, they became a great tool and not a lovely plot device.

I'm going to do a re-watch of Universe at some point, maybe season 1 will feel more cohesive on the second go around. Such a shame that it was canceled.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This should go in the OP:

(God I want a print of this so badly)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Midnight- posted:

Replicators where the best enemy they introduced when they first came in, then they milked them, pussified them and finally borg'd them to hell and back.

An unstoppable, unfightable, emotionless swarm of machines that's only function is to replicate and expand, doesn't care about time or revenge or anything whatsoever. Great stuff.

Then they ruined them. Over and over and over and over.
Actually, they managed to make the replicators one of the most sympathetic villains in the entire series and made the Ancients to be one the most vile and arrogant people short of the Ori.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The problem is that by the time they did that episode (you're talking about the one where there's a repliplanet and one of the human form replicators falls in love with Carter then she uses that to kill them right?) I was so loving sick of replicators that it really didn't have the intended impact.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

IRQ posted:

The problem is that by the time they did that episode (you're talking about the one where there's a repliplanet and one of the human form replicators falls in love with Carter then she uses that to kill them right?) I was so loving sick of replicators that it really didn't have the intended impact.
No. I'm referring to the SGA replicators. The way the Asurans were written as an introduction made the Ancients into genocidal maniacs.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Replicators would have been great if they'd used about half the episodes they did. The ideas hold up very well, but they were just so prevalent for so many episodes that you get tired of them. I really dug the original reveal, the bits with Fifth and Carter, a tiny (very small) part of Replicarter, and the use of the Dakara weapon to nuke them all.

Atlantis wasn't even too bad (Hell yes David Ogden Stiers) if they'd have just left off after the early stuff. I love that Atlantis systematically tore down the Ancients that were so revered to a bunch of egotistical "do anything, forget ethics or consequences), and the replicators helped nail that home.

Sadly they were overexposed, but the actual plots themselves would have been decent if it had been whittled back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought the replicator homeworld was pretty badass, that's what Atlantis should have looked like.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mortanis posted:

Atlantis wasn't even too bad (Hell yes David Ogden Stiers) if they'd have just left off after the early stuff. I love that Atlantis systematically tore down the Ancients that were so revered to a bunch of egotistical "do anything, forget ethics or consequences), and the replicators helped nail that home.
That reminds me one of my favorite episodes is the one where McKay and Shepard nearly start a war because they thought they were playing an Ancient version of the game Civilization.
EDIT:
They also left a large amount of tech around that could have destroyed galaxies multiple times over.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 26, 2011

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

IRQ posted:

I didn't think the formula was so terrible, as much as it was the ONLY formula for too long. I've never actually watched the other Stargates either, so I had no expectations going into this. The problem was just that the crises got to be old; everybody knows they're not going to kill major characters, and the crew isn't all going to die, so throwing these emergencies at us week after week when we know in the end everyone will be fine was just boring.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

MadScientistWorking posted:

That reminds me one of my favorite episodes is the one where McKay and Shepard nearly start a war because they thought they were playing an Ancient version of the game Civilization.

And then Zalenka and Lorne almost start another war playing even though they know it's not a game anymore.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

BrightGreenLine posted:

I didn't think the formula was so terrible, as much as it was the ONLY formula for too long. I've never actually watched the other Stargates either, so I had no expectations going into this. The problem was just that the crises got to be old; everybody knows they're not going to kill major characters, and the crew isn't all going to die, so throwing these emergencies at us week after week when we know in the end everyone will be fine was just boring.
Except Stargate Atlantis actually killed off its characters. Hell they even managed to kill off one of the same character twice. :psyduck:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Atlantis was a lot of fun, but I was put off for a very long time by Teyla and Weir. The former is a dreadful character, the latter a dreadful actor.
Once I got past that, and the first season, I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Ronan also sucked, he always felt like they decided they needed to tick the racist scifi box of Black Action Guy™ but didn't put any effort into doing anything beyond that. He can be summed up in totality by grunting and performing the scifi equivalent of menacingly pumping a shotgun and ejecting an unspent shell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He's Hawaiian, not black. Also they had Lt. Ford who was an actual black guy.

I tend to think Ronan was added because Teyla sucked so much at fulfilling the "alien badass" role.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

My favorite episode of Stargate SG1 was the groundhog day one, especially when they show what happens to Teal'c everytime it resets for the first time.

From Atlantis, that Civilization episode was up there, along with the one where Rodney is trapped under the ocean in a jumper starting to go crazy.

I really liked the Woolsey character, good actor and good character progression throughout the series.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

He's Hawaiian, not black. Also they had Lt. Ford who was an actual black guy.

I tend to think Ronan was added because Teyla sucked so much at fulfilling the "alien badass" role.

Stargate has always gone with the scifi trope of the alien badass/stoic warrior being derived from the old noble savage myth. In SG:1 it was Teal'c, who was great. In SG:A they had Teyla but she sucked, Ford sucked and got written out, so they eventually brought in Ronon. For SG:U they went with Greer.

I'm not saying the people making the show are bigots or whatever, but it's always struck me as an unpalatable cliche within the genre and the show.

That said, as I write this I'm struggling to remember any black scientists in the the entire series.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I must be alone in liking Ronon. I'm not saying the character was deep, but I enjoyed it. Also liked the little subtle jokes they used for him, like always having large piles of meat on his plate during the cafeteria scenes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MisterFusion posted:

It's subtle stuff like that which makes active duty service members appreciate the work they put in to making it authentic. There's other stuff, like the SGU fatigues and P90s instead of M4s that I can forgive because I think those were aesthetic choices, and undestandable "in-universe".

I read somewhere that its an issue in the early seasons because they honestly just didn't bother, but after they got emails from military personal pointing out their mistakes, they started to correct them.

I always took the SGU uniforms looking different because they were setting it up as the SG program was slowing morphing into its own 4th branch of the military that was also pan national. Don't make the Russians, Brits, Germans, Chinese, Aussie and whomever else joins all wear American uniforms, and you can't have them all wearing their home nations uniforms because then they don't feel like a cohesive force.

My favorite Ronan moment is after Rodney and Carson appear in the jumper, blow the Wraith lord to bits. After Ronan gets onto the jumper everyone's all "They did it!" and Ronan looks like he's going to get angry, but instead embraces them.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Atlantis was a lot of fun, but I was put off for a very long time by Teyla....

I often wonder who said their catch phrase more:

Teal'c with "Indeed" over 10 years, or Teyla starting statements with "My people..." over 5 years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't forget the alternate SG-1 intro

http://youtu.be/CqDE8kocoTI

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I do find SG writers handel fairly well are the non-earth humans encountering earth cultures.

Jonas being mesmerized by the weather channel for example.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

IRQ posted:

This should go in the OP:

Done.

Folks. Please feel free to suggest photos/bios/goon stuff for the OP. Unless it's NWS or Stargate:Infinity levels of stupid.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As a joke, not really a joke, add a screenshot of the boat painting for SGU.

Teek fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 26, 2011

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

MisterFusion posted:

But later on they really nailed it:
- When Carter got promoted to Major, it was almost dead-on like a real promotion ceremony
- Calling Lieutenants "butter bars" and "El-tee"
- Regulation dress uniforms (great attention to detail on those)
- People putting their hats on as they exit buildings/taking them off when entering

I felt like the relationship between Scott and Greer on SGU came off as a really authentic junior officer/SNCO relationship. SGU had a lot more opportunities to feature normal military interactions since it had more than two military members in the main cast.

MisterFusion posted:

e: One thing that did bother me was seeing Airman First Class cooks on Icarus base and later on destiny. As if an 18 year old could enlist in the services career field (the dopes who hand out basket balls and shovel food on plates), get top secret clearances, and their first duty station is off world...
Maybe the cooks at Icarus base were busted down to that level. It was definitely implied that it was where they sent the fuckups.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
How did the last half of SGU season 2 turn out? I watched up until that point, but I forgot to set my dvr when it came back from hiatus and just never bothered trying to catch up with it. Was there any sort of resolution to the story, or is it a lovely cliffhanger?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a cliffhanger but it's not lovely

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a cliffhanger but it's not lovely

On that note, that might be a good shot to put up for SGU. Eli alone on the viewing deck while space flies by. Amibiguous enough for new viewers but a nice send off for those who know what it's a shot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but think Eli was going "now I can watch all the Kino recordings of the girls in the shower".