Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

MisterFusion posted:

But later on they really nailed it:
- When Carter got promoted to Major, it was almost dead-on like a real promotion ceremony
- Calling Lieutenants "butter bars" and "El-tee"
- Regulation dress uniforms (great attention to detail on those)
- People putting their hats on as they exit buildings/taking them off when entering

It's subtle stuff like that which makes active duty service members appreciate the work they put in to making it authentic. There's other stuff, like the SGU fatigues and P90s instead of M4s that I can forgive because I think those were aesthetic choices, and undestandable "in-universe".
I felt like the relationship between Scott and Greer on SGU came off as a really authentic junior officer/SNCO relationship. SGU had a lot more opportunities to feature normal military interactions since it had more than two military members in the main cast.

MisterFusion posted:

e: One thing that did bother me was seeing Airman First Class cooks on Icarus base and later on destiny. As if an 18 year old could enlist in the services career field (the dopes who hand out basket balls and shovel food on plates), get top secret clearances, and their first duty station is off world...
Maybe the cooks at Icarus base were busted down to that level. It was definitely implied that it was where they sent the fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

IRQ posted:

Oh duh yeah I forgot Atlantis. Now I remember all their hurf durf this is an international blahbity blah, which meant Becket with his Scottish accent and some background people had random flags on their jumpers.
Don't forget Mckay and, "It's a Zed-P-M!" :colbert: Also Zelenka was Czech and had a Czech flag on his jumper.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't know. They would have had to make Greer a Major or something, because all the enlisted in the first two shows are incompetant fools. Only officers got to be remotely good at their jobs, unless you're that guy counting chevrons.

Stargate definitely had a problem with the Air Force being staffed entirely with commissioned officers. Same with Star Trek, though you can kind of forgive Trek that one, being set in the future and all.
Sgt. Siler on SG-1 was awesome and Atlantis had Sgt. Bates in the first season.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Who?

And who?
Siler was the chief technician at the SGC and was played by RDA's stunt double so he was always getting thrown into things. He appeared in 47 episodes across all ten seasons and in Continuum. He in fact was the third most common guest star after Gary and Dr. Fraiser. http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Siler

Bates was head of internal security on season one of Atlantis and was always distrustful of Tayla. He was pretty cliche. He left after season one but came back as an NID agent in season 4.
http://gateworld.net/wiki/Bates

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Ahh. I guess I meant more as a lead cast member, though there is a great lack of enlisted in these shows regardless. I guess maybe the idea being that SGC is high-clearanced enough that your average Joe isn't trusted enough, yet we have butter-bar Scott slutting around Icarus Base, so who the gently caress knows?

Slightly better than Starship Troopers where Rico just keeps getting brevetted higher and higher as everyone is dying around him. He might still be getting paid like a Private at the end of that film. :v:
Scott was a first lieutenant not a butter bar (Greer called him a butter bar in anger once and he got rightfully pissed about it). Of course he was hooking up with James who was a second lieutenant so your point pretty much still stands.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
God that sounds like such a lovely reset of the finale. It's a movie, you don't need to return to the status quo. Plus you'd think the ancients would have put in a return to Earth option in their security program.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Captain Vittles posted:

McCay can just build his own ship and name it after himself.
Shepherd would just give it some goofy name that everyone else would use ignoring McKay's name.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

IRQ posted:

Does this mean Jack and Cam have no delta brain wave?

e: did Continuum ever get a HD release?
It was simultaneously released on Blu-ray. Ark of Truth was originally only on regular DVD but was released on Blu-ray before Continuum came out.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Paradoxish posted:

The Manhattan Project was done in relative secrecy from the public despite being roughly equivalent in cost, employees, etc. to the entire US auto industry of the time. Something like 60,000 acres of land and 15,000 tons of silver were used for just one site, not to mention the sheer number of workers employed. I mean, I'm not really defending Stargate's realism or anything, but it's not totally implausible to imagine the US government secretly building a spaceship assuming the technology was magically available.

Honestly, the Manhattan Project is a pretty terrifying testament to what can be done in secrecy with sufficient resources and willpower.
It was also in the middle of a giant war which gave easy excuses for keeping things secret and made it very easy to hide the money being spent. I really can't see something of that scale happening today with that level of secrecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
I was looking for something to have on in the background and saw that Atlantis was on Syfy so I looked to see if it was a good episode. I soon realized it was this episode:

I ended up just watching it instead of using it as background noise. I'd forgotten how awesome the whole episode was and how much funnier the painting is as a pay-off to the episode.