Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Let's not forget that "chiptune", when taken literally, refers to the general method of creation, which is even less descriptive than what "instruments" are used.

People think that "8-bit" means chiptune, but this song is a chiptune song as well. Would you even guess that it was chiptune if you didn't know beforehand what it was made with? What about this song?

Basically what I'm saying is that "chiptune" is even less descriptive than "guitar music". It's like saying "music made in the UK". I'm not suggesting that this thread is unnecessary or anything, I love the idea! But it's just ignorant to say that all chiptunes have a sound in common, just as much as saying that all music from the UK has a sound in common.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

the Bunt posted:

Your example kinda defeats your point for me. it sounds just like 8-bit tones even without someone telling me so.

If you hear "8-bit tones" in this song, you are imagining things. I'm sorry.

I suppose a better comparison might be saying "songs made in the 80s". I can accept that all chiptunes are lo-fi to a certain extent.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Alright, one last video to make the case for me: This is "Uralvolga" by Bruno, a member of the Anarchy team, who has since sadly passed away. I couldn't find a normal video of the song on YouTube, so have some footage of two German kittens to go with it. :3:

Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up. Have some musics to make up for it.

A remix of the theme song for Neverending Story by Lizardking, who normally does more techno-esque stuff.

The adorable Weather Girl by Radix.

And what remains my favorite chiptune song ever: Satellite One, by Purple Motion.

I guess what my point really is is that chiptunes are awesome and you should listen to them.

• Locked thread