Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Fatty
Oct 11, 2004

Soothing salve for your intake valve
I keep forgetting to post in this thread because I only ever read NMD when I'm at work (and the firewall stops me from posting).

So here's a bunch of stuff that rules and you should listen to it because it rules:

He was mentioned before, but here's a link to Computer Savvy by The J. Arthur Keenes Band (free). One of the few times where I really dig the combination of chips and vocals.

cTrix has what might be the best live recordings I've found. His set from RRR Radio in Melbourne is still one of my favourites (the interview ends and the music starts at about 7:30). It's a pain to find his stuff, as it's all scattered around the net in various places (and half of it is gone since 8-bit collective decided to die).

Here's another cTrix performance, Blipfest 2011. The stuff he plays on the gAtari, in particular, really gets me going.

Electric Children is pretty good, too. His new album just came out, and I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but his last one YOU ARE was a compilation of his singles, many of them tweaked a bit (not always for the better, imo). Highlights include the remix of IYAD's "When I Sleep, My Heart Speaks" and "Car-jack".

Did I mention yet how loving amazing Smiletron is at making chiptunes? Because he's loving amazing at making chiptunes, and he likes to release all his stuff for free. "Delta", in particular, is a very chill EP/Album/Whatever that I like to listen to when I'm stuck in traffic.

And to finish off, because I didn't see him mentioned at all and it's a loving crime:
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 1
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 2
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 3
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 4
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 5 (my favourite)
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 6
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 7
Henry Homesweet - Lo-Bit Bassment 8

I'm also going to be a huge knob and point out that I "host" a lovely little chiptune power hour on Ghettoradio.us on Monday nights (9PM eastern). All I do is surf around and find EPs / Albums and play them, and occasionally dig into my archives when I'm in the mood. Nothing spectacular, but it gives me a good excuse to find new chiptunes on a weekly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Fatty
Oct 11, 2004

Soothing salve for your intake valve
It went down at the beginning of the year, and their twitter feed hasn't been updated since May.

I'd love if it came back, but I'm not holding my breath. Between 8BC going away and Blipfest being cancelled after the Tokyo show, it's getting harder to find a central source for chiptunes.

• Locked thread