Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
I found a thread for me! I've got a handful of covers I've done, but the first one I wanna share is probably my best one.

http://soundcloud.com/woodch/jessies-girl-mix-3

I forget which round of SA Rockstar this one won, but it's really the last project I've done all the way through :( I need to get back into it again.

Edit: Let's make a two-fer.

http://soundcloud.com/woodch/woodch-nowhereman-final

Another SA Rockstar entry, but this one only made it to the top 5 I think. Somewhere along the way, I lost my archives access, so I can't find any of the old threads to confirm or deny anything regarding these covers. :v:

Some more info about these:
Jessie's Girl was originally going to be Love Somebody (also by Rick Springfield), but fellow Goon and Ghetto Radio DJ "Robnoxious" convinced me to do Jessie's Girl instead. All the parts were recorded, and the first mix-down finished, in about 4 hours one afternoon. The drums were the hardest part for me because I'm not a drummer, and playing the drums on the keyboard made it even harder. I had to keep going back and putting things in like fills and cymbals, and you'll also notice how the timing kinda floats around because I have White-Boy's Disease (aka Rhythm Deficiency Syndrome). It took a lot longer to arrive at this final mix than it did to record all the parts because I kept fiddling with the reverb and the eq of the rhythm guitars to get everything to "fit". I'm happy with the final result, though. :)

Nowhere Man was also done pretty quickly. I set up a 2-bar drum loop, recorded two tracks of acoustic rhythm guitar, over dubbed a cheesy electric, and recorded 4 tracks of vocals--2 singing the main melody, and the other 2 splitting the harmony parts. You can hear my voice cracking occasionally because I was fighting a cold (not as bad as one of the other covers I may share), and getting everything to sound right was tough because the acoustic kept wanting to "boom" a lot. Not as proud of this one, but satisfied enough to Let It Be. :v:

woodch fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
And now for an embarrassing one.

http://soundcloud.com/woodch/had-enough

This was another SA Rockstar Entry, but finished near the bottom. It had a lot going against it: 80's hair band cover (Mr. Big, from their first album), vocals recorded with a really bad cold, half-assed drum sequencing. The bass is SUPER LOUD too, because I couldn't hear properly with my cold, and by the time I got this far I said "gently caress it", and just left it as-is. Even the backing vocals are just 2 parts I recorded and then copy/pasted them where I needed them.

What I do like about it is that with the exception of the vocals, it's a pretty good cover of the song. I liked the bass sound I got, even if I mixed it too loud, and the guitar is just one track for rhythm and one track for the solo. Got a decent sound from those as well--VERY 80's. :v:

I'll be surprised if any of you actually recognize the song, since it never got airplay, and Mr. Big really didn't get discovered by the mainstream until their second album, and "To Be With You" forever chained them to the "wussy hair ballad" label.

• Locked thread