Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the great LP Elentor, I have a much greater appeciation for FF7 in general since reading this, you showed off a lot of great content I'd missed in a casual playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It turns out that Squall's not as bad as we remembered, either. Check out Cool Ghost's FFVIII LP. He's doing for 8 what Elentor did for 7.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Elentor, you are a talented, amazing and wonderful person. Thank you for the years of quality entertainment. I wish you all the best with your health, work and any future LPs. :3:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Congratulations on finishing! What a ride.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
A fantastic finale to a fantastic LP by a fantistic LP'er!

It's been a great ride; informative, funny, and weird. But it's all been great. Kudos, Elentor, and kudos to the thread for the past four years.

Seeing that, and I'm hearing this play. :unsmith:

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
Congratulations for finishing it - it is a huge achievement anyway, and doubly so considering everything else you've been dealing with. Thank you for doing it and for sticking with it! An amazing achievement to keep it going for so many years.

GunnerJ posted:

FYI your English is really good. I wouldn't have known you aren't a native speaker unless you said something about it.

Definitely agree with this!

But this on the other hand...

Silegna posted:

It will be so weird to not see this get an update anymore.

Not getting an update was business as usual for this LP! But when they came... they were fantastic.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Thank you for playing it, so I didn't have to.

God knows I wasn't going to dig up another copy of a psx rpg I'd already given up on, especially not one as notorious as this. So I'm really glad I clicked on this thread on a whim years ago, and I'm especially glad you were an engaging enough storyteller to keep me interested the whole way though, Elentor. It's been a great read, and a surprisingly tolerable final fantasy thread, to boot — that's one hell of an achievement.

I wasn't one of the people who somehow didn't know Aeris dies, but I was unaware of whatever the second major spoiler was (it's been so long I've forgotten), and I made it all the way to there, so kudos for that, too. Also, that infographic is pretty wonderful. Did you include it in the twenty-three gigabytes of photoshop documents?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for the kind words guys.

Zenostein posted:

I wasn't one of the people who somehow didn't know Aeris dies, but I was unaware of whatever the second major spoiler was (it's been so long I've forgotten), and I made it all the way to there, so kudos for that, too. Also, that infographic is pretty wonderful. Did you include it in the twenty-three gigabytes of photoshop documents?

I did, yes. I did not include the 6.21 Gb of production files for the final image though. :v:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
おめでとう! Congrats Elentor for an LP worth remembering. It's up there with the greats that are Tipping 40s FFX and Chip Cheezum's MGS3. I daresay that the final analysis really helped bring it full circle and to a massively satisfying conclusion.

Your English is impeccable, so fear not. In fact, the only give away is your steadfast refusal to learn the word "depressing" instead of "depressive." I seem to recall (years ago) that you even mentioned it. It's kinda endearing after so long.

Elentor posted:

The pink sign is hilarious -- it doesn't really mean anything, but it says "Koruneo," or if you transliterate it, "Corneo."
The red-and-white one to the right says "ramen," I love those ramen carts.

I would like to add that the third kanji in "古留根屋," 根 (ne, kon) also means "root" (coincidentally daikon radish "大根" just means "big root.") It can also be interpreted as "cock" in certain situations. I would imagine that this is one such case.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
This is the last stop, everyone please leave the train!

Thank you.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Congrats and thank you, Elentor! I hope you have a fine time with your health and other projects! :) This great LP was so long I can't even remember when I first found this thread, which I guess means I'll be rereading it once it gets archived. :v:

Kheldarn posted:

It turns out that Squall's not as bad as we remembered, either. Check out Cool Ghost's FFVIII LP. He's doing for 8 what Elentor did for 7.

And I'd also give a recommendation for this LP! There's a lot of cool stuff that people seem to have forgotten about 8 as well, and it's pretty neat knowing about all the more subtle character bits that happen in it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Just gotta say thank you again. I first started following this thread it was in December of 2011; my parents were out of town and I had the worst cold of my life so I spent the weekend curled up on the couch reading this thread on my iTouch. I honestly don't know why that memory sticks out in my mind so much when I think of this thread but it does. I also started dating my last boyfriend a little before this thread started....and then we broke up a few weeks after the final update. Uh, yeah...

I know I've said this before but I'm going to miss this thread a lot. I liked coming here for general FF news more than the actual FF megathread.

Wishing you the best, Elentor. Thanks for many great years :)

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.

It's really hitting me that this LP really is over and to be honest I am a bit sad but happy at the same time that this LP will be on the archive where it belongs. It was an amazing ride all these years, seeing people's reactions to things they didn't remember right, actually having those two people who didn't know Aeris/th died, it was all a blast. I even got the chance to play this game for myself a few years ago and it was well worth it. Having Elentor break down some of the less obvious things was such a help, and really all of this was a great read. Thanks for doing such a great job, and thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Grats Elentor. This has been one of the best LPs I've read.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
This LP was one of the first that I can remember seeing. It stands as a master class on engaging presentation, added content, and thoughtful commentary. Bom trabalho!

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Thanks for everything Elentor. Life's changed a lot for me since the thread started, and it's been a pleasure checking back and catching up every so often.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Nice work. What did you make that render in again, if you don't mind me asking?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm going to miss this thread being around. No seriously, I remember when this started back in 2011 and my knowledge of FFVII was "oh, that's the one Cloud and them are from right? Ok let's see what the big deal is" and yeah I really appreciated all the work you put into it, and all the work everyone in the thread as well, whether it was restraining from talking about upcoming events and spoilers, or doing funny things and taking part in the grand discussions about themes and stuff. I have said many times that I am not much of a Final Fantasy person but that's more of the fact that they don't seem like games that I would play by myself because there is so much that ends up happening that I would want to be playing with someone else to engage in conversation while roaming the maps and going from one encounter to the next :unsmith:

On the other hand, I am happy that this is finished, since that means it will end up on the archives and my non-SA friends will now be able to see this LP that I kept talking about whenever Final Fantasy discussions come up :xd:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Concordat posted:

Nice work. What did you make that render in again, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. It was rendered in the Unity Engine, it's real-time. Runs fairly smooth at 90 FPS here even with the very not optimized mountain in the background eating resources like mad.

There's a depth-based color grading to exclude the background since it is easier. And lots of hidden walls used to reflect light to mimic the original.

There are 151 different models total.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
It's been a wonderful (lurking) ride for the past few years. Thank you for the work you've put into it, Elentor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Which is, of course, one of the themes of the game (as well as VIII, though that's sort of a poo poo soup when it comes to theme). It's ironic that a game that is so invested in the memories of its characters is itself misremembered so badly. Perhaps people that played it remember it how they want to, rather than how it happened. It's much simpler when characters are stock and the plot subtleties are glossed over (and you skip some important hidden sidequest resolution) and treat it as a sequence of events and setpieces instead of a full and cohesive story.

I blame everyone being nine or something when they played it and most of the story going over their heads.

I cannot remember where specifically, but I'm fairly sure Elentor mentioned being from or living somewhere. I think it was Rio de Janeiro. So I'm not surprised that English isn't his first language. I'm fairly sure that other countries teach English very early on/ have it as a required class so y'know.

Also eighthing or whatever for this as well.

Kheldarn posted:

Things fly over my head all the time so someone doing a thorough LP like that that explains everything bluntly is kinda necessary for me. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I found this thread a few days ago and caught up just in time to catch the final post. Very convenient. So while I can't say that anything in my life has changed over the time it took to read it, it was still an enjoyable and educational experience.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Goldmine.

Congrats on finishing this game. You really did a good job of showing just why Final Fantasy 7 still endures as a classic today really. It's a strange, subversive, hodgepodge of a game. It stands out, I think, for being a labor of love and an artistic work that's just so unique to the mid 90s.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think I found this thread early 2013 and, while I can't really say my life has changed a whole lot in that time, I was going through a pretty rough patch then and you helped me take my mind off things. So thanks for that and everything else Elentor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thanks, Elentor. Totally changed my memory of the game around. Fantastic LP.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Cheers for the LP, you did the game justice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Aithon posted:

FF8 Squall is not nearly as dark and mysterious (mopey) as KH Cloud. KH Cloud is clearly just Vincent with blonde hair.

By contrast, KH Squall is a mature, competent leader (who barely gets to do anything because the Final Fantasy characters are relevant maybe twice each game). He also interacts mostly with Aeris, Yuffie and Cid. Heck, maybe he was supposed to be Cloud before the switcheroo that gave us One-Winged Cloud.

I'll grant that Cloud might be more Vincent than Squall, but KH Squall is definitely just matured Squall from the end of FF8.

E: And also thank you, Elentor, for this excellent LP. I forget if I've said that somewhere up there, but it needs sayin.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I read this while lurking for a while. It really was an absolute blast.

Valiantman posted:

This is the last stop, everyone please leave the train!

Thank you.

:unsmith:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Elentor posted:

Thanks. It was rendered in the Unity Engine, it's real-time. Runs fairly smooth at 90 FPS here even with the very not optimized mountain in the background eating resources like mad.

There's a depth-based color grading to exclude the background since it is easier. And lots of hidden walls used to reflect light to mimic the original.

There are 151 different models total.

:captainpop: That's amazing. I didn't even realize you made it until you posted the higher Rez versions.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just a heads up guys, gonna close the thread tomorrow. It's been a long run!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:patriot:

I'm trying to find the words to make this more than a single-emoticon reply, but I'm honestly not sure what to say. Congrats. Farewell. Thanks. Holy poo poo.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Great LP Elentor.

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
This thread was a treat to read. You did good, Elentor; you put all the characters back into perspective, and made what was old, brand new again.
If there's any LP worth reading, it's definitely this one.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This is, hands down, the best LP I've ever read.

Thank you and goonspeed, Elentor. :unsmith:

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Thanks again for the great LP, Elentor. See you all again in the remake LP thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Does this mean the FFVIII thread has to be the new safespace?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Yaaaaaaaay! We did it! Yet we never figured out if Palmer survived the whole thing or not!

Probably he did.

...maybe?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
It feels like I'm just throwing a bucket of water into the ocean, but just wanted to say what an excellent LP this is and thank you for the amazing job you did with it, Elentor.

To the archive/goldmine!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This was a fun retread of a fun game, you did a fantastic job, thanks.

That render is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's almost complete. Great job, everyone!

• Locked thread