Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wow. What am i gonna do without this thread in my life?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
This was such a great thread...probably one of the most civil FF threads I've seen on this site. It was really refreshing. The FFXII one was also a really good thread and the FFVIII one has been super great so far. I think we'll have no problem finding another thread that dissolve into petty bitching all the time.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 14, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Comrade Koba posted:

This is, hands down, the best LP I've ever read.

Thank you and goonspeed, Elentor. :unsmith:

This. It was always great seeing updates to the thread, and your dedication to making it great was admirable. I don't think I've ever put so much effort into anything in my entire life. :v:

Thank you Elentor, this has been fantastic. I've played FF7 a number of times since it launched, and you still helped me see facets in it I hadn't before.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Congrats on a great thread Elentor. Hope your MG gets more under control and all goes well.

One quick question, how much time did you spend making that final model / image?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Elentor posted:

Just a heads up guys, gonna close the thread tomorrow. It's been a long run!

This thread are healed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Great LP, sad to see it go!

I love the final picture, it's my new background pic (although I can't help but see a Minion in the middle of it)! :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Elentor posted:

So it's time to get off this train for good...

It's been a good one.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Congrats on a great thread Elentor. Hope your MG gets more under control and all goes well.

One quick question, how much time did you spend making that final model / image?

About 5 months from start to finish. Around 70 hours of work plus a few hours of research on construction sites and actual bridge building footage because I wanted to understand what the hell was going on in that scene. Turns out it doesn't make a lot of sense. :v:

I watched some of the scenes with the elevated highways in the movie, the cellphone bike game and the original game bike chase to try to understand some of the doodads in the background. The cranes are huge and way taller than the highway in the bike chase, so the scale in the background is just kinda cartoonish. I had to decide between trying to make it a little bit more realistic or sticking to cartoonish and try to replicate it as faithfully as possible, which is what I chose in the end.

I spent some hours doing the concept arts for some of the doodads, but luckily most of the things in that scene are just very basic geometric shapes. The bulk of the work was texturing and setting up the scene, trying to get the camera and lighting right.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Let's

Mosey

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Thanks, Elentor! You climbed the Mt Everest of LPs.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elentor posted:

About 5 months from start to finish. Around 70 hours of work plus a few hours of research on construction sites and actual bridge building footage because I wanted to understand what the hell was going on in that scene. Turns out it doesn't make a lot of sense. :v:

I watched some of the scenes with the elevated highways in the movie, the cellphone bike game and the original game bike chase to try to understand some of the doodads in the background. The cranes are huge and way taller than the highway in the bike chase, so the scale in the background is just kinda cartoonish. I had to decide between trying to make it a little bit more realistic or sticking to cartoonish and try to replicate it as faithfully as possible, which is what I chose in the end.

I spent some hours doing the concept arts for some of the doodads, but luckily most of the things in that scene are just very basic geometric shapes. The bulk of the work was texturing and setting up the scene, trying to get the camera and lighting right.

Very impressive work, like the rest of this LP. Thanks for everything!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Some seriously incredible work.

Way to go Elentor

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
An excellent tribute and send-off. So long, thread, and happy LP adventures!

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Well done Elentor. A great LP and a great wallpaper as well!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Elentor posted:

:stare:

:golfclap:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Elentor posted:

Thanks. It was rendered in the Unity Engine, it's real-time. Runs fairly smooth at 90 FPS here even with the very not optimized mountain in the background eating resources like mad.

There's a depth-based color grading to exclude the background since it is easier. And lots of hidden walls used to reflect light to mimic the original.

There are 151 different models total.
:aaa:

I...did not even realise that was a render. I literally thought you just upscaled the original picture or something holy poo poo you rock.

You will forever be one of the greatest smartest nicest dudes I'll ever know on the internet. :) thanks man.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
This thread better get gold mined.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Elentor posted:

I imagine there's a lot of good reasons really tall roadways like that don't exist in real life, especially in urban areas. I mean things like this exist-

-but are very uncommon.

It just seems like something animators and artists are really fond of doing. How do we make this city seem extra large and high-tech with our limited screen real-estate? Make everything super tall!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Something something train joke!

Thanks for the LP, Elentor. I'd never played FF7 before, and even though I came pre-spoiled on Aeris/th, I still got shocked by the whole twist with Cloud near the end.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I can only echo the wonderful sentiments.

This was the single greatest LP on the freakin' internet.

And that's great because it was for the best Final Fantasy game. :yayclod:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Amazing LP, just like everyone else has said! May it be recorded in the Internet Hall of Fame somewhere, if that's a thing...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PT6A posted:

Amazing LP, just like everyone else has said! May it be recorded in the Internet Hall of Fame somewhere, if that's a thing...

There's the LP Archive.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Piling on to give my thanks for helping me discover more about this game and reminding me why this was my favorite game ever.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Phenomenal job, Elentor. Can't think of much more to say than that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good job.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Thank you Elentor!

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Glad to see you finished! Thank you for the wonderful LP!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

You did good.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

It's been a hell of ability ride... thanks for taking us along for it.

What are the chances of you doing an LP of the remake once it releases?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elentor posted:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Great thread, great wallpaper.

Fair winds and following seas, Elentor.

Thank you for all the awesome.

Chocobosayskweh
Oct 11, 2009
Legendary thread. I have been checking in for years. Every time I see a new post, I think "wow, it's still going!" Looking forward to playing this and randomly thinking about your jokes and fan art. Cheers!

dammitspidey
Nov 9, 2012
Just in case someone is keeping score, count me as someone who bought a forums account to follow this thread.

Great LP man, Thank you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy poo poo I get to reply to this just before it closed. I binged this poo poo over the past two days. I, admittedly, didn't even give it a second glance at first because of exactly your breakdown in the epilogue post: FFVII LPs seem doomed from their start, with how people may react to them as they go, and especially with how hard it would be to keep unspoiled. It took a reread of this to even remember/understand the Cloud/Zack/Tifa/Sephiroth connections, I outright misremembered them and I played this game in 2013, when you were still halfway through. :psyduck:

You did a fantastic job on this, though. Here's hoping you decide to pick up another SSLP soon, but definitely skip on doing another huge JRPG for a while. If you're going to scratch that SSLP itch, aim for something more bite-size, like a good, short GBA game. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I remember he was planning on a blind LP of FF12 but gave up on that for the health issues. In any case, he's more than earned a break.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I also reg'd to keep reading this. Its been an amazing ride. Thank you so much.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Been reading this since day one, but never really contributed via posting. Which is weird, considering this game is extremely nostalgic for me and I've beaten it numerous times since it originally came out.

So before the thread closed I wanted to say thank you and congrats on seeing this thing to the end.

LP gold man. LP gold.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Posting in a legendary thread

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I will miss this thread, and I hope it goes up on the archive soon. Great job Elentor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Hell of a thread. I look forward to seeing this in the archive. Great job, Elentor!

• Locked thread