Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Cool!

I like many others know this game like the back of my hand, so it'll be interesting to see what you do with it. Let's hope you can get it finished!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Cloud is a jerk, but it's the good kind of jerk. I mean Squall is a jerk too, but he's completely unlikeable, whereas Cloud is pretty much a loveable character the whole way through.

Adus, I love how you're always the first to yell at people calling Cloud emo. Don't ever think no one notices. :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hear all the sound effects in my head as I read :3: Like Cloud banging on the train door and the sound of it sliding open. I've put a ridiculous amount of time into this game.

Really enjoying the LP so far!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
:aaa: I did not know you could get stuff from people on the train, nor did I ever notice that Johnny was there. I always just barrelled on through.

Also, interesting stuff about Air Buster taking so much extra damage, I didn't know it was that high.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Aeris is OK. She's not insufferable and she's got a sense of humour. It's a shame the spinoffs turned her into the pretty pretty princess, 'cause she's cool in this. Not my favourite character by a long way, but... I have a feeling you guys are going to mock me when I tell you who one of my favourites is :buddy:

But I'll wait 'til we get there.

The Turks are amazing, it's always a treat when they show up.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Crowetron posted:

As much as I like Red, I certainly cannot argue with a team of Cloud, Barret, and Cid

Cloud, Cait Sith and Cid :colbert:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dauntasa posted:

You'd take him over Barret? What's wrong with you?:ughh:

I love him and I am not ashamed of it! He's genuinely one of my favourite characters. I knew people would mock me for it :mad:

e: nooo Crowetron I'm sorry :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I would criticize you for this, but I'm a habitual yuffie user, and she seems to get quite a bit of hate too. So you can keep playing with your terrible character and I won't say a word about how awful your taste is, despite that character being absolutely worthless in battle and story.

At least my character isn't entirely optional and pointless :colbert:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
To avoid further turning this wonderful thread into a sea of spoiler tags, and also avoid upsetting Elentor, I will discuss this further when he is actually introduced. :)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 5, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Adus posted:

I like this party just because they have the best lines of dialogue.

Yeah, and I remember their reactions to the big sad event being the best. Cid is by far the most awesome character in the game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Seiren posted:

In a related note, of those who aren't Cloud, Fortune Teller and Lazy Fagpire are the 2nd best and make excellent backup casters. I tend to lean towards the one you get sooner; he's a little tankier, but gets slightly less MP in the end. Still, I like the character concept better, and prefer his type of weapons.

:neckbeard: I'm not alone! See, you guys, I'm NOT a freak for loving that character.

I really want to replay this for the millionth time now, thanks a lot Elentor. I have so many games to play when I have access to a console again and what's top of my list? This. Again.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 8, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I love double update days :allears: Your update frequency kicks rear end, Elentor. It's easy to tell you really enjoy playing this game and I hope you enjoy writing the commentary just as much. Sometimes LPs seem to become a chore, but definitely not here so far (and hopefully never!).

Oh, and don't worry about "living up to" Leovinus or whatever. He's very funny but so are you, and you have the added bonus of your different viewpoint and all the interesting Brazil/Rio titbits you put in. I like learning while I read my LPs :) You're easily filling the gap left by TWD's FFIX LP finishing, and this is one of my favourite LPs right now.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yep, I really, really want to know what's going on with the "so that's how you fooled them..." bit. I mean... what? :psyduck: The whole Honeybee Inn is incomprehensible, but that part even more so.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I hate you for posting this, because now all I have been thinking about since the update is what other bosses fit. I can think of three others besides Aps, but I can't figure out the fifth, and I don't want to look it up until I think I have them all. This is going to drive me nuts for the rest of the night. I'm sure I' forgetting the most obvious one too, because sometimes my brain just likes to piss me off like that.

God, me too. And I'm not sure I can even figure out for certain one. I suck :smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

mom washed cumshirt posted:

i remember the first time i played this i was hoping that at some point biggs would be a partymember (probably because he seemed like the only one of those three who had his poo poo in line), so i was pretty bummed when he died. :( RIP rambo's skinny brother.

I spent most of the first disc convinced that they weren't really dead and would come back in some dramatically appropriate manner to save my rear end.

:smith:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I enjoy FFVIII a lot but that doesn't make it good. The characters are almost exclusively unbearable (except Laguna that guy kicks rear end), the plot is nonsensical (Leovinus hit on the most egregious example close to the end of the game and says it far better than I ever could, but it really is dumb as hell), and even the music is a huge step down from VII. I remember the first time I played it I was SO disappointed the first time I got into a boss battle because it sounded so crappy.

I do subscribe to the Rinoa=Ultimecia thing, just seems to make sense to me (well, more than "some random evil woman wants us all to die for some reason that we won't even try to explain", anyway).

It is by far the weakest of the PS1 FFs. Still a lot of fun though and I like how the monsters level with you, which eliminates a lot of the need for boring grinding that was sometimes necessary in VII (for me anyway, maybe I just don't play it right or something).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FinalSin posted:

EDIT - I didn't even know what Boost was the first time I played until I got horrifically stuck and a friend had to come round to bail me out. I thought he had hacked the game or something when he started hammering square.

I'm the opposite. I had read so much about FFVIII and knew so little that I didn't know Boost had to be learned and I thought just hammering square would somehow make my GFs work better.

I told many people about this.

I was a dumb kid.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nidoking posted:

And one that's almost worse than useless. You know the one.

I actually don't :confused:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Claverjoe posted:

Uh... can't you just set it to skip the majority of the animation for the summons? I vaguely remember it being able to do that for most FF games?

NOPE! Welcome to sitting through two minutes of summon whenever you use KOTR! Best go make a cup of tea while you wait.

As for the useless one, I'll venture a guess at Odin, even though he's vaguely useful in every other FF. Even in VIII he can come in handy (unless you're trying to find a particular enemy type to draw or steal from and he shows up and kills it :argh:).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Funnily enough no one should ever sell their Turbo Ether because it's one of those weird items that should be valuable but isn't. You get 1 gil selling it. Normal Ethers are worth 750 gil. I wonder why that is.

John Luebke posted:

And I don't think those two NPC's in the flashback are supposed to be Biggs and Jessie, they just have the same fashion sense. I mean, this is 15 years prior to FF7, I always imagined they'd be around Cloud's age.

We never get any indication of how old they all are, and Barret is in his thirties. They could easily be his age and Jessie just wants to get some of Cloud's young rear end. :unsmith:

I've noticed them before and I think they look younger than we've seen them. The bandanas are a giveaway, I can't think of any other character who wears one.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Sounds like something opened up.

I did NOT know that shop existed. Guess I've always just taken the stairs. I thought I knew this game inside out but I'm learning stuff every update.

I think the music in this area needs to be shown off. The Shinra Building is, as we've seen, big, and the same seven notes play over and over and over. I hate it. :argh:

(standard disclaimer, spoilers in comments and related videos)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nidoking posted:

To make up for it, I discovered a rather interesting property of White Wind in another solo area, when I found myself fighting an undead enemy with an instant-ejection move and almost no available abilities to counter it. I think everyone who's thoroughly played the game knows what part I'm talking about. I think the only thing I was able to do other than lose instantly was use command Materia, and I had Enemy Skill, so I tried White Wind on the enemy. Instant petrifaction, victory.

I do know what enemy you're talking about and it made me sad to remember it. :argh:

There's another thing I've learned, but then again I've never really bothered with enemy skills all that much, beyond Beta/Trine/Aqualung/Magic Breath. Maybe when I next do a run I'll try and get 'em all.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

John Luebke posted:

Seriously, I never understood why they change that in so many western versions of japanese games.

(In all the subsequent FF games you still press O to confirm and X to cancel it was just changed in the US and PAL releases. They do that to a lot of games actually.)

I got the PC version in like 2003 and it ran pretty well on my PC, (Except that I couldn't turn on hardware acceleration.) but since I hadn't played the PS1 version in years I couldn't figure out how I was ever able to enjoy the music in the game.

When I play VIII or IX I always have to change the controls to FFVII's version. It just feels wrong to have it on the default. No other games, just those two.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

that guy posted:

I personally think Laguna is gay, which
explains a lot about his character and behaviour, but I shall leave that for
another time...

Hahaha. Leovinus was right after all!

This whole FAQ is ridiculous. What a waste of time :psyduck:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Get well soon Elentor! We can wait, but the thread might be a terrible out-of-control monster by the time you come back.

No, my mistake, it already is. Feel better soon though! :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My... my god. :psyduck:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
You know, it was only on my most recent playthrough that I found that little cave of goodies near the birdie nest. Crazy how there's still things to find even after half a dozen or more full plays. Dumb game.

And yes, FFVIII was my very first thought. :argh:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I still like him. :colbert:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
You know, I always figured Ester was a transvestite. I'm not sure why, just the comments about her looking weird I guess. It wouldn't be too out of place in this weirdass game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Elentor posted:

In the underwater passage there's a door being guard by a man and a dog. This door is interesting in the sense that there's no way in heaven to get through it. It's a mystery ~never revealed~.

Doesn't that door become accessible if you lose the submarine minigame? You get the red sub there I think. Could be wrong.

I love those big fat birds. They so fat :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nidoking posted:

There's an optional boss that also uses it. I forget which one you meet first, though.

An enemy, too. The Materia Keeper comes before either of them, I'm pretty sure (I don't think you can get to the boss beforehand?).

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I like going through the game not grinding to make things a bit of a challenge v:shobon:v. The game is easy enough as it is, with a little grinding it becomes a complete pushover. I want to go back to the days when I got stuck at the Materia Keeper for many frustrating months 'cause I had no idea what I was doing.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yup, I always missed the notes too. That's awesome. I can't believe there are still things in this game that I didn't know about, but here we are.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Did anyone else ever play this game thinking her name was supposed to be pronounced "loo-CREESH-uh" instead of "loo-CRED-zee-a..." or was that just me?

Wait, that's not how it's pronounced? :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Now I'm confused. I thought Counter and Counter Attack were the same thing. Never once knew about linking Counter to a yellow materia.

Materia Keeper is my favourite boss because holy poo poo did he murder me over and over and over when I was a kid. I was massively underlevelled and got stuck on him for months. These days he's never much trouble unless I'm purposely gimping myself, but I still regard him with a certain nostalgic fondness :3:

Also, hell yeah next update is gonna kick rear end.

vvv Well that explains that.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 15, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hey Elentor, just wanted to let you know, mostly thanks to you I started replaying this game for the millionth time yesterday. I didn't want to, but this LP and listening to the soundtrack have got me all nostalgic, so off we go I guess. I only just met Aeris so I'm only an hour or so in, but still.

Seconding the request to put links to the music in if it's new, otherwise people might miss out on my favourite piece of video game music ever which is linked to the next update but doesn't appear until way later, I think. I don't remember. Either way it's amazing.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Killing thousands of innocent people in an unprovoked terrorist attack is one thing, but Cid is verbally abusive to his wife

Never mind your good post, I am spergy enough to point this out. They're not married during the events of this game. I think they do get married in the EU, though?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Elentor posted:

This talk about fanfic is creeping me out.

Hey, we were all dumb teenagers once.

I caught up to the LP today! I thought I was underlevelled because the trash mobs in Mt Nibel were giving me grief, but then the Materia Keeper went down with no trouble so I don't know. It's all still as fun as it used to be. :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Also the caves are loving full of Mako, I think Sephiroth even comments on that in the Kalm flashback. When you can see there's a ton of Mako in the mountain, it's probably a good place to pop a reactor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Cid's Theme is my favourite piece of Final Fantasy music, full stop. It's perfect. I loved it when I was 13 and playing through for the first time, and I love it ten years later, possibly even more than I did back then. I could listen to it forever. :3:

• Locked thread