Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

"Barret, the use of bullets has been authorized!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I now fully appreciate why this thread has a "Do not talk about which FF is the best/worst" rule.

We should all talk about things that truly matter. Like what Rootbeer is the best rootbeer. Or which Jojo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Culex.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frogisis posted:

I still can't get over Kingdom Hearts being a thing that exists. I've watched some of the cutscenes on YouTube and I think hearing Donald Duck say "Sephiroth" in a farty duck voice broke my brain and I have yet to fully recover.

I hear they're pretty good games, though.

The combat is pretty okay but the plot is like Christmas lights caught up in a weed whacker about four games in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frogisis posted:

Jesus Christ, there are four of them? One? Sure, Disney plus Square sounds like it could be entertainingly whimsical. Two? Well, OK, can't let an opportunity to capitalize on popularity slip by. Three? Shoot, might as well go for the full trilogy. But four!?

Four games into the series. It'd be great if there was more Disney characters interacting with Square Enix going on with it but it's mostly about the main two anime people and then their doppelganger not-actual people [literally called Nobodies] that doubles the cast a bit and then there's stuff about the first keyblade masters and darkness darkness hearts darkness Kingdom Hearts, hearts, nobobies, heartless, darkness darkness darkness!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Same here, honestly when you tell me a game involves Donald Duck being a wizard and Goofy being a knight of the realm joined by some spiky-haired beach boy kicking every Disney villain's rear end across the universe, my first question was not "will this explore Cartesian Duality properly".

I do not understand these words.

I could've gone for more character interaction that wasn't 'Hearts! Darkness!' And variations on that. [Cloud and Sephiroth]

Just characters doing goofy poo poo sometimes. Gau and Tarzan jumping around trees like nutjobs. Sabin and Gaston getting into a flexing contest before everyone realizes he's the bad guy. Zell getting in someone's face for calling him a fool.

Oh, and lots more situations where you have to fight along with the Final Fantasy characters too.

Frogisis posted:

I'm sure they're perfectly fun games and I'd probably even enjoy them if I played them myself but when I go up to Family Dollar in a few minutes to get trash bags I'm also definitely now going to visit the liquor store.

Maybe I'd be more into it if I'd ever been a Disney fan. Welllll, that's not entirely fair - I liked Tailspin and Ducktales way back when, if those count... It's just like, c'mon, Squeenix, that's enough of your finite time and energy to spend on loopy crossover fanfic.

did you know there are like fourteen Lego games right now

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Space Jam will forever be timeless. :downs:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

REMOVED

edit: Have something that isn't a giant spoiler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjw35-qkb_s

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 15, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Walliard posted:

Reminder again that this link contains spoilers for the game being LPed (but is still awesome)

Oh poo poo, yeah, that's right. I got so swept up in the conversation I forgot that that's a massive spoiler.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh boy a bunch of posts! There must be a lot more music discussion going o-

Oh. It's an update.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ha, good use of meta humour man!

CzarChasm posted:

Seriously. Why does some joker keep coming into this thread posting plot and pictures from some game that's old enough to vote? Damnit, this is the general chat thread for every subject under the sun, up to and including pretty much every other Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy music, Rio De Janeiro, and the demented breeding program of a twisted scientific mind. If you want to do an LP of Final Fantasy 7, I'm sure there's some other thread where you can go and take this, though an example slips my mind at the moment.

I'm glad that my dumb joke was well received. :unsmith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you're not watching or reading an LP in any way thanks to the person behind the work adding something to it then you're watching a silent walkthrough of a game. There's nothing wrong with that either.

Uncharted 2, The Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, Ratchet and Clank will all do fine for your enjoyment even without someone talking over them, I'm sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

I agree. Is this an example of favoring the game over the LPer? If so, that would seemingly run contrary to the trend expressed in the thread. I'm just interested to see what people make of it, that's all.

The LPer wouldn't even factor into that as far as it being a contest of what you're there for, aside from making the videos in the first place. People are really hard on this thread because of the interesting background chat Elentor threw in about Rio de Janeiro and all the other poo poo like explaining things like character motivations and just not making GBS threads on the game which really didn't help the last FF8 LP before Cool Ghost started his.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silegna posted:

Fun Fact: That's getting rebooted.

What?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh.

Code Jockey posted:

Persona 3 was just overflowing with style. I don't know how better to express that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RKF6gqCXiM

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 20, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe that you guys talked about Chrono Trigger so much that Leavemywife started an LP of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GrimRevenant posted:

I thought Blind Sally was already running one???!! :confused:

Well, since people are reading this LP I thought they'd have higher standards and want to watch that one that'll actually be good. #Lol #got em

[I didn't know there was another one being done.]

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

K-ParAdoX posted:

I'll probably be kicked out of the thread for this, buuuut I really like Yuffie.

considering all the effort gone into this LP now to try and flesh characters out and spell out their motivations and what's happening with the story, I don't think you'll have any problems with people not accepting your opinion on the characters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I still think that looks like poo poo.

Give it some big anime eyes first.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Fun fact: he threw his back trying to use it.

So he got somebody else to use it

Looking at it in real life, it looks like it'd be right at home in a Dynasty Warriors game.

Or just used against people on horseback.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, the TeamFourStar FF7 thing just released its first episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvnkWNW8x6c

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The battle chatter seemed to be the weakest part of it. I don't care for the other AVALANCHE people either.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Watched the second episode on their website and it was actually worse.

It at least answered my question on if this is done by people who actually remember the game or just people assuming things. :v:

The saddest part of things is that this characterization would've been better for FF8 than 7. Swap Cloud for Squall, Tifa for Selphie and Barret for Seifer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, it is true that the first few episodes of any abridged thing are always bad. Even DBZA started off rough.

I don't think Hellsing abridged started off that bad though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, by that time, TFS had some experience. Kinda an exception that proves the rule.

And now we're even further in the future after all this experience they've got under their belt and it's just way worse than their regular stuff. And the Once a year stuff too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fairly sure he mentioned that there was another wrap-up update he mentioned?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kemix posted:

I would like to say: KILL IT WITH FIRE! gently caress that poo poo's too cutsey and pandering to a younger audiance. No wonder I stopped watching disney altogether! (besides the fact they have unfunny people doing unfunny shows in unfunny real time :v:)

Yes, I'd say it is pandering to a younger audience because it's drawn in a Disney style. I would gather that as well. :geno:

MikeJF posted:

The mobile final fantasy ports have usually really awful redrawn sprites.

FFVI is the worst offender, since it had much more stylised, detailed original art. And they didn't do the backgrounds, so it's really inconsistent.

They're also way too big for the backgrounds they're supposed to be standing on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Vincent is pretty much perfect. But he looks like Gru after a crash diet, wearing a wig.

He reminds me of the Gorillaz for some reason.

No comment on Cloud, Aeris, Tifa.
(What is with the aversion to muscles artists have)

Definition is hard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kemix posted:

It CAN be done, but you don't have to pander to the lowest common denominator to make a decent children's character. I just hate Disney's current style in all of it's possible forms. All they seem to do anymore is pander, pander and pander as hard as they can to draw in the mouth breathing kiddies anymore.

Yeah, quality has risen and Disney should step up their game so their movies appeal to people of many different ages like excellent tv show Steven Universe

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't watched a single Steven Universe episode and I am detecting :salt:.
From a character design point of view Disney has gotten worse. First I saw of Inside Out I was all "Oh Dreamworks is putting out a new movie-wait no it's pixar wtf'

Some Numbers posted:

Gravity Falls would like a word with you. :colbert:

Yes, yes, Disney movies need to appeal to everyone much like these good cartoons for children are doing!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Broad audience appeal means more viewers means more money. It's bad to say "no, you can't watch this!" compared to "everyone, watch this!"

But you're on a video game subforum so this shouldn't be strange.

:yeah: And that's why Disney needs to stop making their movies pander to children and pay attention to the demographics that actually matter. People in their 20's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm no Ken M.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the joke that a Disney FF7 would be called Busted :shobon:

Is that what it said? It's like cursive to me half the time, I couldn't read it for the life of me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a Cloud dressed as a girl costume?

Standard or Advent Children is all I saw.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

You can voice Cloud's motorcycle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm wondering how they're going to make the combat work with the larger monsters, like the WEAPONS. And another echo on Cloud's tiny arms. Also Kingdom Hearts gameplay is boring, I much prefer Kingdom Hearts 2's combat, because it looked nicer and it felt more satisfying to do combos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm trying to think of random battles in Final Fantasy in general that can't be generally solved with just the regular attack button and aside from flans and beyond the halfway point enemies, I'm not really coming up with anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad that your health improved enough to finish this off. Thanks for the great LP, Elentor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xander77 posted:

So... we spent a lot of time going over how people (including SE) seem to remember this game incorrectly - but did we ever posit a good and convincing theory as to why?

Because memories are terrible and you shouldn't rely on them exclusively. Everyone seems to remember Emo Cloud but not as Vincent. Tifa and Aeris' personalities are all over the place, I don't think anyone ever talked about Cid's abusiveness or the fact that Hojo wanted to try and breed a new Ancient. There're a lot of plot beats to this story that I've never heard of before I got to this LP, like how Cloud was basically in a wheelchair coma for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Which is, of course, one of the themes of the game (as well as VIII, though that's sort of a poo poo soup when it comes to theme). It's ironic that a game that is so invested in the memories of its characters is itself misremembered so badly. Perhaps people that played it remember it how they want to, rather than how it happened. It's much simpler when characters are stock and the plot subtleties are glossed over (and you skip some important hidden sidequest resolution) and treat it as a sequence of events and setpieces instead of a full and cohesive story.

I blame everyone being nine or something when they played it and most of the story going over their heads.

I cannot remember where specifically, but I'm fairly sure Elentor mentioned being from or living somewhere. I think it was Rio de Janeiro. So I'm not surprised that English isn't his first language. I'm fairly sure that other countries teach English very early on/ have it as a required class so y'know.

Also eighthing or whatever for this as well.

Kheldarn posted:

It turns out that Squall's not as bad as we remembered, either. Check out Cool Ghost's FFVIII LP. He's doing for 8 what Elentor did for 7.

Things fly over my head all the time so someone doing a thorough LP like that that explains everything bluntly is kinda necessary for me. :v:

• Locked thread