Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

E: gently caress wrong, thread. Recommend me some socks for Guatemala I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Don't take any pictures with kids in them in Guatemala. Guatemalans will think you plan on kidnapping them later and will confront you. This is what my Guatemalan friend has told me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I need to buy a huge loving suitcase for some work trips my wife and I have coming up. I am looking at this Timbuk2 bag;

https://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Co-P...buk2&th=1&psc=1

I have had the medium one for a few years and love it and was thinking about picking up the XL one. I have a friend who has been touring for like 4-5 years now with one and she still loves it, but I though I would see what other people thought.

Anyone have a huge rear end suitcase that they love?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I usually carry $100 USD + passport + debit card in a money belt (old habits die hard) in the big pocket, and then $200 in local currency in the small pocket of the money belt, and $20-50 in my left pocket, cell phone in my right pocket.

I formalized this system on my first international trip and I've never really strayed from it. If I have my money belt I know I have everything I need, and at a moment's notice can pat my front pockets to know if everything else is where it needs to be.

Some people leave their passports etc at the hotel or hostel. It's really up to you and the situation.

Everyone has a different system. The important part is that you have one and keep it consistent and stick with it. The people always losing their money and passports are the people who don't have a system.

Same goes for packing your poo poo, both travel bag and day pack.

And if you don't have a system and gently caress up. You learn to have some system fast because it's annoying as hell

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Anyone have a huge rear end suitcase that they love?
You will think I'm kidding you, but after having traveled with gear in a Pelican case for 20 years and never had anything bad happen, I now travel with Pelican cases as suitcases. They are rock solid and impossible to gently caress up, come in every size, and are cheaper than the thing you linked to.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We have a pretty decent pelican collection already for our work crap, but I don't like using them as suitcases at all. I prefer a few dividers/pockets and honestly the casters on pelicans kinda suck.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I am all about the single-shoulder-strap bag over any kind of rucksack or wheelie-deelie

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

bongwizzard posted:

We have a pretty decent pelican collection already for our work crap, but I don't like using them as suitcases at all. I prefer a few dividers/pockets and honestly the casters on pelicans kinda suck.

Agreed on not liking using Pelicans as suitcases at all. The rigidity is just extra hassle for travel when you don't really need to protect equipment. Anyway, a little off-topic but I've pretty much got rid of my Pelicans and got their Nanuk equivalents instead. Still won't use them as suitcases though.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

aren't pelicans also heavy af

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm moving over to Nanuks also! I'm glad I'm not alone.

Yeah, they're heavy. It's not a solution for everyone. It can also be argued that they are a bigger target to get ripped off than a suitcase. Still, it's an option.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you have endless pockets or want LIFE loving TIME INDESTRUCTIBLE GUARANTEE get a a rimowa suit case. The wheels are amazing and it's pretty freaking sturdy.

Pelicans are great for expensive photography gear or sensitive equipment for extreme environments like Afghanistan mountains and ocean exploring

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Huh, never even heard of Nanuk cases, quickly looking at them, they seem pretty identical to pelicans, what makes them better?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or you want to show your MILITARY credentials

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I work the event production industry and pelicans have been the standard for all sorts of gear for so long I never even thought to look if they had any competitors.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The guys who make darn tough socks should open a line of woollen dufflebags.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

bongwizzard posted:

Huh, never even heard of Nanuk cases, quickly looking at them, they seem pretty identical to pelicans, what makes them better?

Better wheels, better handles, better locking mechanism. Literally everything except for the fact that they don't sell the screw on zipper dividers for the top cover.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Waroduce posted:

So how do you guys carry cash when you travel? Are those money belts actually worth it?

If you're worried about pickpockets or poo poo falling out of your pockets, I'd just recommend getting a pair of pants that has a discrete/low-profile zipper pocket in it. I got a pair of North Face pants (Peak II) which are pretty ugly but served well for keeping passport+money in all around South America and Tanzania/Kenya for long bus rides, and even around Europe for overnight trains. A mugger might notice it if you're in a secluded place and they can take their time with you, but probably not if you're on a street and the operation is pretty quick. I've used money belts before but always found them uncomfortable. I always wondered that, if a mugger really had their time with me, would they bother checking for a money belt, or would they just take my wallet and cash? Probably the second, but I've never heard anecdotes either way. To be honest my major concern / problem with other pairs of pants is me sleeping and reclining into a bus seat and stuff falling out on its own.

Countries like Cuba, Algeria, pre-2015 Argentina, Venezuela, etc, are such a pain in the rear end in that you should take all your goddamn cash in advance for the entire trip. For any country that has reasonable usage of ATMs I no longer worry about it at all.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I think I say the same thing every time this question comes up about how to carry money and travel pants: Lululemon ABC Pants. Normally, I put my wallet into the semi-hidden zipper back pocket along with my passport, carry my phone in the front pocket along with $20 or w/e I think will cover a transaction. The Lululemon pants are also impressively stain resistant for polyester material. They don't spot like other poly stuff I own.

If you're worried about losing stuff, the Samsung Galaxy S phones don't hold their value over time, so you can easily get a used S5 for $100 or even a midrange unlocked LG for less and have a functional smartphone that isn't the end of the world if it's lost. I think I've only ever carried a fake wallet twice-- once in India and once in Buenos Aires. I've never felt it was necessary at any other time.

TNF Paramount Peak II pants are also fine. They have some DWR on them and the pockets are somewhat more functional, but the Lulu pants are far more low key and can act as business casual pants while being the most comfortable pants I've ever worn. I do like the Paramount Peak IIs for very warm areas as the shorts option comes into play.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Constellation I posted:

Literally everything except for the fact that they don't sell the screw on zipper dividers for the top cover.

Hard pass.

If I ever have, or even see, a pelican break I guess I will look again. I do want to find a way to rig some skateboard wheels to my small case so it rolls better.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The thing about travel pants is that they can look too technical.

We are all a bunch of travel dads and moms already and wearing clothes like this is a kicker

http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-belgrano-pants-long/56280.html?dwvar_56280_color=FGE&cgid=mens-pants-jeans-hiking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHV-uLvYX8

A bit too much imho if you aren't going on hikes or anything.

caberham fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 15, 2017

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

They're $100 cheaper than Pelicans. And if you need a lot of them, that adds up.

They're not quite as sturdy, so I wouldn't set an elephant on one or anything.

Monoprice makes knockoff Pelicans but pricepoint wise they're between Pelican and Nanuk.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Question on travel shoes fellow travel dadders. My previous favourites for travelling from place to place were an old pair of Merrell Tough Glove type (but fabric not leather) that are finally coming apart after a few years of decent use. I like the barefoot type for travel and would rather not be wearing super bright running shoe type stuff, the previous ones wouldn't win any beauty contests but were comfy and low key. I've seen the Merrell Slipper, which seems the same just without laces, but it's not available in the UK apparently. Does anyone have experience with it before I look into trans Atlantic shipping?

Also after being out and about in norther Patagonia recently in a pair of super light shoes I'm looking at getting something which can stand up to rain and a bit of walking. The Merrell Jungle Moc waterproofs look like exactly what I want but, again, not available in the UK (they have some Icebreaker special edition type version which is twice the regular price). Are the regular Mocs able to deal with a reasonable amount of water i.e. walking around wet grass/some mud or out and about in town while it's raining?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vivo Barefoot is based in the UK, I don't go for that kind of shoe but they'll probably be easier to try out where you are.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nowadays I carry 2 pairs of shoes.

http://www.asics.com/jp/ja-jp/walking/runwalk

And a pair of trainers. Not so travel dad looking anymore, besides the big rear end carry on

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

qirex posted:

Vivo Barefoot is based in the UK, I don't go for that kind of shoe but they'll probably be easier to try out where you are.

Might be nice as an alternative travel shoe, I'll have to have a look when I'm back in the UK.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

MrNemo posted:

Are the regular Mocs able to deal with a reasonable amount of water i.e. walking around wet grass/some mud or out and about in town while it's raining?
This is my day-to-day shoe and I would qualify it as having no problem in wet grass or reasonable mud without getting you all wet.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Cool thanks, this gives me some UK options then. Kind of wish there was some easy way for manufacturers to sell models from outside local markets sometimes though.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Nice comparison of backpack style carry-ons over at the Wirecutter.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-carry-on-travel-bags/

Their travel gear section is interesting too if you haven't seen it yet.
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/travel-guide/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't hate the Wirecutter but they do way too much "we eliminated 60% of all options because of some arbitrary feature," in this case a padded hip belt seems to be what the reviewer focused on. The Tortuga looks ok but the straps don't tuck away plus lack of a single shoulder strap mean I have zero interest in it. It also looks way overengineered, the 8 million tiny pockets, gigantic hip belt, TSA the laptop sleeve, etc. It weighs 5 pounds empty. I'll probably just get an MLC when my bag dies.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 31, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

I don't hate the Wirecutter but they do way too much "we eliminated 60% of all options because of some arbitrary feature," in this case a padded hip belt seems to be what the reviewer focused on. The Tortuga looks but the straps don't tuck away plus lack of a single shoulder strap mean I have zero interest in it. It also looks way overengineered, the 8 million tiny pockets, gigantic hip belt, TSA the laptop sleeve, etc. It weighs 5 pounds empty. I'll probably just get an MLC when my bag dies.
Agreed. With their earlier reviews, it was pretty straightforward to have a list of requirements that would work for nearly everyone.

But luggage is like a simpler version of a car, where your usage profile can lead to drastically different recommendations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Confession: I've only used the backpack straps on my convertible bag maybe a dozen times total. For some reason I'm OK walking pretty far with it over one shoulder plus I usually have another messenger bag too and wearing that with a backpack on is a huge pain.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

Confession: I've only used the backpack straps on my convertible bag maybe a dozen times total. For some reason I'm OK walking pretty far with it over one shoulder plus I usually have another messenger bag too and wearing that with a backpack on is a huge pain.
IMO, in the 1+1 bag regime we currently live in, a briefcase + rollaboard is the best setup for people doing business stuff, and a backpack + rollaboard is the best for everyone else.

If you're going to be carrying a bunch of poo poo on your back for miles and miles, you should probably use a bag that's specifically designed for carrying a bunch of poo poo on your back for miles and miles, not some duffle bag that added backpack straps as an afterthought.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I used to fly for work every weekend and had a little Jansport backpack/roller bag combo. It was great as I could roll it 90% the time but If I needed to run I could throw it on my back. Now when I travel I always just check a bag as I want to have a pocket knife and a tetra pack or two if wine with me.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Different bags for different trips.

For business trips, I favor a roll aboard and a messenger bag that slides over the pop-up handle, since that usually only involves wheeling around the airport because I'll take an Uber to the hotel.

For vacations to Europe where I'll usually take public transportation to/from the airport, I hate trying to roll over cobblestones, up and down curbs or stairs, or whatever is between the metro stop and the hotel, so I'll take a backpack style bag.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don't do rollers because I do like to walk up and down stairs and escalators easily. And bags are light.

I actually care more about packing cubes. If it's for business then I just bring another brief case

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
I'm having analysis paralysis after looking at way too many backpack style carry on bags. I'm leaning towards the Tom Bihn Synapse 25. I pack light and am looking to cover from a weekend out of town to 2 weeks in Europe. I think the Outbreaker 35L looks way too big and the Minaal Carry On 2.0 pushes me out of a comfortable budget for something I will use a few times a year. Any user experience with the TB 25 for multi day trips? Anything else I should look at?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I'm selling some high-end performance clothing that is great for travel: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823366

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'd take them but drat my medium sized body.

How do you guys transport cooking oil/pesto etc in your packs? Everything ends up leaking. Anyone tried small coke/PET bottles?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Outrail posted:

I'd take them but drat my medium sized body.

I feel ya. I could wear them if I lost 30lbs... but that's not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Omits-Bagels posted:

I feel ya. I could wear them if I lost 30lbs... but that's not happening.

Relevent username post combo.

• Locked thread