Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this one is still a little bit too outdoorsy but I have one and use it as my nicer winter coat. A bit heavy for hiking, though:

http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-cruiser.10043.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens&fmetaProduct=10

Those things Quirex posted look pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe this one is still a little bit too outdoorsy but I have one and use it as my nicer winter coat. A bit heavy for hiking, though:

http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-cruiser.10043.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens&fmetaProduct=10
Those jackets look great! I'll definitely be spending the week browsing the three sites that've been posted. Thanks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2011

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I don't want this thread to die because it has given me some really good advice.

I bought the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=56582) that is mentioned in the OP and so far it looks well built for its price. My dad used it on an overnight trip and his only negative comment was that there are too many buckles and zippers for his taste. Some of the other bags in the OP have more and some have less of this kind of stuff. I'll be taking the bag on a month long, three city tour and I have no doubt that even with a carry-on sized bag I'll probably pack too much stuff.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I need a bag for traveling to residency interviews. The trips will be short, only for a day or two, but I'll need to take a suit, 2 shirts, pair of slacks, and shoes. Carry-on only. I'm thinking about something like this:

http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Travel-Gear/Collections/Werks-Traveler-4-0/WT-20X/31300901

But I'm open to suggestions.

Any suggestions? I think I'm going to buy this within the next week or two as it's getting to be that time. :ohdear:

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I don't want this thread to die because it has given me some really good advice.

I bought the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible (http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=56582) that is mentioned in the OP and so far it looks well built for its price. My dad used it on an overnight trip and his only negative comment was that there are too many buckles and zippers for his taste. Some of the other bags in the OP have more and some have less of this kind of stuff. I'll be taking the bag on a month long, three city tour and I have no doubt that even with a carry-on sized bag I'll probably pack too much stuff.

I also got this bag after hearing about it in this thread. Took it on a ten day trip around Europe and it was pretty much perfect!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Don't worry, I'll find ways to rezz it when it starts reaching the danger zone, but I always appreciate other people helping out with that!

Part of the reason you don't often see threads with fairly comprehensive OPs (that aren't poo poo) is that that kind of thing stifles conversation which causes thread death. But we'll get around that issue.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
This thread was pretty helpful and I went on a 20 day trip with a goon friend across the glorious nippon and Shanghai. I didn't want to pay for shipping the bags internationally so I just went and got an Osprey Transporter60 for my belongings and a crumpler 7 million dollar home for camera gear

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/gear_hauling/transporter_60

The back pack straps are not padded but can be easily tucked in, no internal compression straps or anything fancy like the airboss. There's only 1 extra side compartment but at least all the materials are well built. Maybe not the best of the best but decent water proof shell. However, rain covers cost extra :(

It's pretty spacious it can fit a laptop ipad and all sorts of gear. 2 or 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 dress shirts, a few more tshirts and underwear (over packed)

Using the bundle wrap method at first was nice and compact but then I have given up doing it since I kept on moving around to different places to stay all the time. The trip was fun but it's my first time traveling without checked luggage. As liberating as it is, I'm just too frustrated/lazy to buy all my souvenirs and mail it back home from each destination everyday and relented to buy barely anything.

Plus I became too poor from going to America :smith: I really want a better toiletry bag and something to bad all my stupid chargers and cables. I would pack something similar when I travel next time and get myself a macbook air the lighten the load. And just carry a film camera with rolls of film and a s100 point and shoot

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ok, I need a suggestion from you guys.

I'm going to be travelling around Asia quite a bit in the next year and I need a pack. I already have a good Jack Wolfskin hiking pack but it's far too large for carry-on size. I need a good quality, large carry-on bag. I prefer Swiss Army/Victorniox, Osprey, or Moutain Equipment Co-Op, but I'll take your own recommendations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nikon 52 lens cap storage device:

:3:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bag that holds your laptop and DSLR schizz and doesn't look like a pike of nerd poo poo:

http://www.onabags.com/store/messengers-and-backpacks/the-camps-bay.html

raton fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 5, 2011

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Question for the Australians here: I'm about to go to Vietnam and I want some nice light trousers. The only casual trousers I own are slim fitting black jeans. I imagine they will be too warm to wear (and bulky to pack). Those REI Adventurer pants in the OP look okay, but in the travel stores here all they sell are these baggy monstrosities with millions of pockets that convert into shorts. They are so gross.

So do you know any place that sells slim fitting trousers that are really light that look somewhat stylish? I'm a slim guy so anything that isn't slim fit looks baggy as poo poo on me.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Just go to a normal store and get some pants that are lightweight (so not jeans). Two pairs so when one is in the laundry, you're wearing the other. Clothes from travel stores are ugly and make you look like a tool.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
But I have though and I can't find anything appealing. Caveat: I live in Tasmania so my choices are more limited. There are plenty of places that sell jeans, cargo pants and dress pants. All the general trousers (or 'slacks') I've seen are rather dad or grandpa-like.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

dflanny posted:

But I have though and I can't find anything appealing. Caveat: I live in Tasmania so my choices are more limited. There are plenty of places that sell jeans, cargo pants and dress pants. All the general trousers (or 'slacks') I've seen are rather dad or grandpa-like.

May have to suck it up and get the least dad-like black wool trousers you can find. They may not be slim fit but with some creative tailoring they may not be that bad.

There's always the option of buying when you get to Vietnam, too. A basic black wool should be available from any tailor there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One more use for a dress shirt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JwdZC31nQU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Kaffiyehs are actually really great for travel too. I've used mine as a handkerchief, scarf, makeshift neck pillow, blindfold, to hold earbuds in while lying down, to wrap food, as a pillowcase and as a laundry bag. If you don't mind looking an idiot you can also use them for their intended purpose as extremely effective sun protection/sweatband.

I also brought a cheap, very lightweight luggage chain and a couple of luggage locks. A cheap lock is actually probably better than an indestructible one - the real goal is just to make your bag less attractive to thieves than everyone else's. I go through decoy wallets pretty quickly for the same reason - I catch people trying to pickpocket me all the time, but I never even felt the three who succeeded, and all of them made off with empty pieces of cheap plastic instead of my iPod or camera solely because it should theoretically have had money in it.

Speaking of which, the iPod Touch or iPhone is the single best usefulness-to-weight-and-hassle item I have.

Electronic stuff: cafeKlysm is a good bundle of security programs you can run from a flash drive (including a portable web browser and a click-keyboard if you need to put in payment information on a computer with keyloggers), and PortableApps.com has versions of all sorts of cool things you can install to a flashdrive (including image editors).

duralict fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 18, 2011

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Goats, what do you think about taking some kind of hooded vest? I mean something like this http://image02.otto.de/pool/formatz/5348679.jpg
You made me painfully aware of how much useless poo poo I'm lugging around while travelling, but I was fairly happy to have one of these with me while travelling on the airconned bus in Thailand and on the plane.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Based on two years of backpacking through north and south America and Europe my number one piece of advice is wetwipes, toiletpaper gets wet or destroyed easily, and you can't give yourself a sponge bath in case of emergqncy. A packet of wetwipes can be thrown arond like nothing and still remain intact. If you've ever had a case of food poisoning just as your getting onto a Bolovian 20hr no bathroom bus trip you'll know what I'm talking about.

Also, if your a keen hiker you can fit a tent, stove, gas canister, sleeping bag and all your regular clothes, toiletries, first aid kit and whatever else in the granite gear Blaze-AC-60. It's basically a big sac with a harness but the side pockets are great, and when I get to paraguy I can ditch my cold weather gear and it'll probably be small enough to carry on buses.

Seconding the iPod touch, everywhere has wifi these days so I have a web browser that isn't a theif magnet like a laptop, I'm using it right now so excuse the typos.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
What's the popular opinion for footwear for honduras/belize? Obviously a pair of sandals but I was going to wear running shoes until I realized that khakis and running shoes looks retarded. There's going to be some hiking/walking through the jungle.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I'm so grateful for the underwear and socks recommendation in the OP. Those socks and shorts are loving amazing and worth every penny.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MasterBuilder posted:

What's the popular opinion for footwear for honduras/belize? Obviously a pair of sandals but I was going to wear running shoes until I realized that khakis and running shoes looks retarded. There's going to be some hiking/walking through the jungle.

This is always a problem -- when you want to stay with one pair but have hiking to do too. There are three solutions in my mind:

1) If you're mostly going to be hiking buy a pair of almost totally brown hiking shoes.

2) If you're going on a hiking excursion buy a pair of hiking shoes locally and plan to throw them away after your hike. A bit wasteful, but I'd rather waste 30 bucks than drag an extra pair of shoes around for the whole vacation.

3) Just deal with having two pairs of shoes to hump around. The best you can do here is to bring two our e gallon zip locks and one normal plastic shopping bag. If you get a chance to dry your shoes out after your hike they can be packed away internally in the zip locks. If not, they go in the shopping bag and get tied on to the outside of your pack with the top open as much as you can -- this obviously sucks if you have to be on the move like that for a long time as the bag will bang around, so if that's the case plan to also lash it down with a bit of string or a length of duct tape.

----

Outrail: I also travel with wetwipes, mostly because they do a better job, but they are a bit more flexible, as you said.

-----

Roj: A hoodie can be a great addition because it's really flexible. This is more true the less formal your destination is. I didn't bring any sort of jacket to SE Asia personally but I'm pretty cold-tolerant (not a fatty).

----

Duralict: Thanks for that stuff, I'll probably work some if it in to the OP later.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2011

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Sheep-Goats posted:

This is always a problem -- when you want to stay with one pair but have hiking to do too. There are three solutions in my mind:

1) If you're mostly going to be hiking buy a pair of almost totally brown hiking shoes.

2) If you're going on a hiking excursion buy a pair of hiking shoes locally and plan to throw them away after your hike. A bit wasteful, but I'd rather waste 30 bucks than drag an extra pair of shoes around for the whole vacation.

3) Just deal with having two pairs of shoes to hump around. The best you can do here is to bring two our e gallon zip locks and one normal plastic shopping bag. If you get a chance to dry your shoes out after your hike they can be packed away internally in the zip locks. If not, they go in the shopping bag and get tied on to the outside of your pack with the top open as much as you can -- this obviously sucks if you have to be on the move like that for a long time as the bag will bang around, so if that's the case plan to also lash it down with a bit of string or a length of duct tape.

What do you think of these:
http://www.cushe.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22060M/0/Mens/Baja-Mocc-WP?dimensions=0

edit: VV can do 

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 20, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Those look pretty good and if you get those (or something like them) please report back.

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
how are you guys getting into clubs with shoes like those

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a depressed kitten posted:

how are you guys getting into clubs with shoes like those

In SE Asia or Nicaragua your white skin gets you into any club you'd like so long as you aren't in flip flops. In Europe, though, those shoes above probably wouldn't cut it.

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent
http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Lugano-Mens-Oxford/dp/B004H7M4AG

these are pretty good, but they aren't very high tech

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I use these (an older model):
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/aqua-lite-mens-20.html/
Wore them for a year at home. Now I have a new pair for home and the old ones for traveling. So a year of daily use + 1 music festival + 2 weeks in vietnam + 2 weeks so far in Thailand (2 weeks left to go).
Besides being a bit dirty, they don't have a single tear or any other kind of issue. Most comfortable shoes I ever wore and after all that use don't stink at all and I never used any product on them. I even got a compliment two days ago from a lady that she likes my shoes.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Rapsey posted:

I use these (an older model):
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/aqua-lite-mens-20.html/
Wore them for a year at home. Now I have a new pair for home and the old ones for traveling. So a year of daily use + 1 music festival + 2 weeks in vietnam + 2 weeks so far in Thailand (2 weeks left to go).
Besides being a bit dirty, they don't have a single tear or any other kind of issue. Most comfortable shoes I ever wore and after all that use don't stink at all and I never used any product on them. I even got a compliment two days ago from a lady that she likes my shoes.

The problem with those is that they look ridiculous if you have big feet :(

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Does anyone have some first-hand knowledge suggestions for merino wool clothing? My Icebreakers have been great, but I've noticed two things:

Tiny holes in parts of the shirts and discoloration in the armpits.

If the holes are caused by moths, I just need to take precautions against them. If it's not, I don't know what could be causing it.

For the discoloration it's not because I'm using antiperspirant because my other shirts have not discolored. I'm thinking it's the actual dyes for the particular color I had.

I was swapped 3 shirts for the three that got discolored no questions asked, so that's enough to have me keep buying from the company.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Thailand is probably the easiest place to travel to because

A) It's cheap as hell
B) Tropical Climate so you can wear board shorts and flip flops everyday
C) There are markets galore for every possible thing you can think of, also see (A)

So while a small pack might work well there, you're going to need some warmer stuff in other countries and it is not always cheaper than in the US. Plus I don't like spending my time shopping around for stuff I could have brought with me.

I usually bring a backpacking pack and then a small day pack. I could hike with both all day if need be. I usually put the larger pack in a big duffel so if I accumulate any crap while traveling I can just throw it in the duffel with my pack and check it. I carry on my day pack with enough to survive if I lost everything else.

Honestly you could travel anywhere with just a wallet and a passport.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

laffo

(Israeli backpackers really are the worst though)

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
haha. I heard from someone that isreali backpackers are generally straight out of mandatory military service and they're all brainwashed psychos. His last encounter with them almost ended up with him getting his rear end kicked, because they thought he looked Arabic (he was Indian).
The older ones are a lot more normal and avoid their younger countrymen.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
What do you guys know about mosquito nets? I'm planning on doing India and rural SE Asia, and I figured this might be a decent investment. Are they too much of a pain to put up in your standard guesthouse room?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Well I'm gonna be on Koh Phi Phi in about 3 weeks, I'm curious as to that sign now.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
I was grossly overcharged at an Internet cafe near Krabi (three times the posted hourly rate) a few years back. When I contested the bill, the owner went apeshit on me, screaming about how much he hates Israeli people.

I'm not Israeli.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

xcdude24 posted:

What do you guys know about mosquito nets? I'm planning on doing India and rural SE Asia, and I figured this might be a decent investment. Are they too much of a pain to put up in your standard guesthouse room?

I don't know how rural you're going, but I've found (in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, and peninsular Malaysia) that most of the guesthouses in mosquito-y areas in SE Asia do provide mosquito nets. I'm not just going to tourist destinations, but I suppose I wouldn't call my travels very "rural" - I don't stray too far from major highways.

That being said,

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/insect-protection/mosquito-nets/choosing-a-mosquito-net/

Something like the pop-up dome mosquito net on that link seems like a good option. Fairly lightweight considering it's self-supporting.

Alternatively, the adventurer mosquito net may be doable - it only requires one point of support, so you could probably rig something up in most rooms (drape it on a hanging picture, maybe?), as long as you are pretty still when you sleep. At worst, you could have the net draped over you as you sleep, although this will be pretty uncomfortable.

Even if you don't take a mosquito net, I would advise you bring some tape, because a lot of the nets provided by guesthouses have holes in 'em. I personally carry electrical tape, but duct tape would be good too (it also doubles as a backpack repair patch!)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MasterBuilder posted:

OK, this is admittedly terrible, but I had surprisingly good luck in Belize using Tevas with wool socks underneath. The wool cuts down on blisters and provides some protection from insects and plants. Plus it stays warm even when soaked after walking through rivers.

Of course, you are wearing socks with sandals. I did it because I didn't want to get my shoes wet.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Op, does your suggestion of photocopying a passport to use for ID work alright in the states?

I'll be there for 3 months beginning April and don't want to be carrying my passport around with me whilst inebriated, you see.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not in the states I'm afraid, you should expect to need the original here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
That is unfortunate.

Thanks for the info.

• Locked thread