Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Does anyone have any recommendations for portable water purifiers? I've been looking at some of the stuff kanadyne offers but some reviews seem a bit mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Steripen?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

Op, does your suggestion of photocopying a passport to use for ID work alright in the states?

I'll be there for 3 months beginning April and don't want to be carrying my passport around with me whilst inebriated, you see.

Nope not valid when I was traveling around freedom land. And if you want to go to a bar, you better have 2 pieces of ID. I was lucky enough to carry 2 passports. But sometimes I even get turned away from bars because a Canadian passport does not have a "valid visa stamp from the US". Sometimes people can be super ignorant :smith:

Nurbs
Aug 31, 2001

Three fries short of a happy meal...Whacko!

de_dust posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for portable water purifiers? I've been looking at some of the stuff kanadyne offers but some reviews seem a bit mixed.

This is pretty much the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

http://generalecology.com/category/portable/product/first_need_xl_portable_water_purifier-new

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Op, does your suggestion of photocopying a passport to use for ID work alright in the states?

I'll be there for 3 months beginning April and don't want to be carrying my passport around with me whilst inebriated, you see.

The only time you'll need a photo ID is to purchase alcohol or rent a car (or to present to police if you get pulled over). I don't know of any state where a foreign passport is not enough to establish that you are old enough to drink. No one will take a photocopy though.

How old do you look? Do you have a national ID besides passport from wherever you are?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Macunaima posted:

The only time you'll need a photo ID is to purchase alcohol or rent a car (or to present to police if you get pulled over). I don't know of any state where a foreign passport is not enough to establish that you are old enough to drink. No one will take a photocopy though.

How old do you look? Do you have a national ID besides passport from wherever you are?

I was attending Siggraph conference in San Diego in 2007 and a large hotel chain's bar wouldn't let Finns, Swedes and some other nationalities in and the reason they cited was that California legislation requires the ID to have height and weight in it to qualify as a good enough ID for purchasing booze. Because you know, those attributes are essential when trying to identify a person :what:. It was only a minor inconvenience though since the other bars didn't seem to mind.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I got into multiple bars in the US using my Dutch ID card which is only valid in the EU. But it does have height on it :haw:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Often if they don't want you in they make some excuse about something on the ID. Other times there are actual requirements -- the police go around trying to get underaged people in to bars (so they can bust the bars) so ID BS isn't something really that the bars themselves are super keen on despite the usual vigilance.

I was a bartender and would take any ID that had the name, birthday and a picture that was issued by a government.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Irish police-issued ID cards get laughed at around the world because they say 'AGE CARD' in huge letters all over them. Seriously, that sounds so much like a loving fake ID I dont blame them.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

j.peeba posted:

I was attending Siggraph conference in San Diego in 2007 and a large hotel chain's bar wouldn't let Finns, Swedes and some other nationalities in and the reason they cited was that California legislation requires the ID to have height and weight in it to qualify as a good enough ID for purchasing booze. Because you know, those attributes are essential when trying to identify a person :what:. It was only a minor inconvenience though since the other bars didn't seem to mind.

I live in San Diego and I've had this told to me MULTIPLE times by different bouncers when trying to use a United States passport to enter a bar.

I've also been told because the picture on my license is of me at age 16 that they need another form of ID, so I hand them my employee ID card, student ID and credit card but those aren't official so I probably just carry around all these forged forms of ID.

People in San Diego are assholes.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

OldHansMoleman posted:

I live in San Diego and I've had this told to me MULTIPLE times by different bouncers when trying to use a United States passport to enter a bar.

Ditto Minneapolis, fwiw, and Minneapolitans are not assholes. Hmm maybe the bouncers are...

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

eviljelly posted:

Ditto Minneapolis, fwiw, and Minneapolitans are not assholes. Hmm maybe the bouncers are...

I've bartended all over Minneapolis. A US passport wasn't valid proof of age in Minensota (a foreign passport has always been) until a few years ago - now it is.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Macunaima posted:

I've bartended all over Minneapolis. A US passport wasn't valid proof of age in Minensota (a foreign passport has always been) until a few years ago - now it is.

I'm a bouncer, actually. The problem with US passports is that so many people in the 21-25 age range who use them have pictures from when they were kids. I know it sucks to not get into a bar, but I'm not going to risk getting arrested, fined, and fired just so you can come in and drink with your friends. It's unfortunate, but I would rather see a few people who are over 21 get rejected from a bar for not strong enough ID than for a few underage people to come in and drink.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I'm a bouncer, actually. The problem with US passports is that so many people in the 21-25 age range who use them have pictures from when they were kids. I know it sucks to not get into a bar, but I'm not going to risk getting arrested, fined, and fired just so you can come in and drink with your friends. It's unfortunate, but I would rather see a few people who are over 21 get rejected from a bar for not strong enough ID than for a few underage people to come in and drink.

You incur no liability if you check a valid ID. Police decoys are not permitted to present forged IDs when they do compliance checks at bars.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
It's not just decoys, though. ABC in our city will come into a bar, and only let people leave as they show them valid ID and get checked out by the police. A bar a couple blocks down the street got raided a few months ago like that.

edit: and forged IDs or someone else's IDs ("passbacks" in bouncer/bar speak)?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

de_dust posted:

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-56425-MiniWorks-EX-Microfilter/dp/B000BBF2RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328556887&sr=8-1

Best part is that it screws onto the top of your nalgene bottle.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm thinking of doing the carryon, no checked bag thing in Europe this summer (gently caress huge luggage at small German train stations). I had bought a rolling duffel, but now I'm considering the freedom of the carryon backpack, but don't want to get something that is crazy expensive.

Looking at ebags, there are two that catch my eye:

Rick steves' convertible carryon: http://goo.gl/kQqqg
It looks like they have oneon clearence for 60 bucks

The ebags Etech convertible: http://goo.gl/YGkBy
60'ish bucks

Rick Steves fagginess aside, how good is this bag compared to the ebag?

Also, what do you think of bringing one of these bags with a smaller backpack for day trips and to use as something to hold nerd gear while on the plane?

thevision
Mar 8, 2011
I do a lot of travelling around China nearly every month (I actually live in China) and one thing I consider a necessity while travelling now is a decent pair of IEM headphones. They are seriously like earplugs and music listening devices all in one, I chuck them in on a crowded bus or train and I can instantly sleep / not go on a rampage.

I have these ones at the moment Hifiman Re0's and they are amazing. I couldn't travel without them now, the always on TVs combined with the spitting, children screaming and yelling for 8 hours on a train is mind numbing here.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
I'm traveling to Italy for 5 weeks to help film a mini-series. I'm wondering what pack I can bring that will allow me to take a month's worth of clothes. Initially, I was thinking about taking one of my smaller backpacking backpacks, but that wouldn't be carry on sized. Any bag suggestions that anyone has that would help fit a month's worth of clothes (luckily I'll be going May-June so I won't need cold weather clothing). One of my carry-on items will be taken up with my camera equipment in it's hard sided case.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Marxist Glue posted:

I'm traveling to Italy for 5 weeks to help film a mini-series. I'm wondering what pack I can bring that will allow me to take a month's worth of clothes. Initially, I was thinking about taking one of my smaller backpacking backpacks, but that wouldn't be carry on sized. Any bag suggestions that anyone has that would help fit a month's worth of clothes (luckily I'll be going May-June so I won't need cold weather clothing). One of my carry-on items will be taken up with my camera equipment in it's hard sided case.
Ugh how many clothes are we talking about here? You do mean to wash and reuse clothes are you not?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You generally pack between four to six days of clothes and wash them as needed -- that's what most of the advice in the OP is geared toward. Are you in some bizzaro situation where this isn't feasible?

If you have to pack 30 days worth of clothes you're going to need some kind of 1800s trunk thing. I don't think I even have that many clothes in my house.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 17, 2012

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

Sheep-Goats posted:

You generally pack between four to six days of clothes and wash them as needed -- that's what most of the advice in the OP is geared toward. Are you in some bizzaro situation where this isn't feasible?

If you have to pack 30 days worth of clothes you're going to need some kind of 1800s trunk thing. I don't think I even have that many clothes in my house.

Haha, no I'm sorry. I will be able to wash clothes (and if I'm not, I'll wash in the sink). I'm not a dandy traveler either and I don't think I'll be going to clubs so I don't need REALLY nice clothes. I just haven't traveled overseas since I was 16 so I have no scope of longer-duration travel needs. The OP has been very useful but I thought I'd just ask pack suggestions.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

LaserWash posted:

I'm thinking of doing the carryon, no checked bag thing in Europe this summer (gently caress huge luggage at small German train stations). I had bought a rolling duffel, but now I'm considering the freedom of the carryon backpack, but don't want to get something that is crazy expensive.

Looking at ebags, there are two that catch my eye:

60'ish bucks

Rick Steves fagginess aside, how good is this bag compared to the ebag?

Also, what do you think of bringing one of these bags with a smaller backpack for day trips and to use as something to hold nerd gear while on the plane?

I bought the ebags Etech convertible because of this thread and it has since gone on a 5 week long intranational USA trip. For clothes I had one pair of jeans, two pairs of exofficio underwear and various Icebreaker shirts. I did laundry once on the trip. I'm used to wearing the same clothes over again and am not bothered by it so I was fine. I definitely subscribe to the "no second pair of shoes" idea now that I lugged an extra pair around for over a month and wore them once. As for the bag, it was a champ. I can really see the advantages to not having wheels and having backpack straps instead.

On a trip last weekend, however, the zipper of the second largest compartment snagged and I had to reseat it. It works fine but I can't yank the zipper open anymore. Instead I have to stop near the site of the snag and slowly unzip it before I can resume opening it quickly.

Ss fro a small daypack I used one of those bags with little rope cinchers that can double as backpack-style carrying straps. If you don't need to carry much with you those are great because they fold up to almost nothing and can be carried in your carryon when not in use.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

LaserWash posted:

60'ish bucks

Since I personally haven't used those bags myself, I'm not gonna comment on them but just run a search for them on One Bag, One World forums. Both bags are covered thoroughly there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This post is just a big dumb bump

I'm on Curacao right now. I want to add suntan lotion to my "should bring" list later because I haven't found any here yet (but that's probably because on Sunday everything on Curacao is closed).

Boy is my face red...

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I ended up buying the ebags tls convertible. Took it on a weekend trip home for Easter and it was great.

Planning on taking this bag to Italy, Austria, and Germany this summer, so that is where the true test comes. So far, I've tried "fake packing" for the trip and I had plenty of room to spare for all the souvenirs that I plan to buy. It is on the heavy side, so I'd be neglecting that point if I didn't put it down, but I think that this will end up being the perfect "one bag" for me.

The straps are comfortable enough and the liquids pouch that they put on the top and the water bottle pouch that folds out are nifty. I need a backpack style bag that is fairly comfortable, this is, because I'm taking my wife, the two moms, and an aunt with me.

Someone want to tell me how to gently approach the topic of how the women can't and won't be able to bring the entire makeup bag with them this summer? :-/

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 9, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LaserWash posted:

I ended up buying the ebags tls convertible. Took it on a weekend trip home for Easter and it was great.

I have the TLS Motherlode convertible and I love it. My only complaint is that I would gladly pay 2-3 times the price if they would take the same layout and use high quality material, stitching, and zippers. The quality of a Red Oxx Skytrain with the layout of the Ebags Motherlode would pretty much be the perfect carry on bag.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LaserWash posted:

Someone want to tell me how to gently approach the topic of how the women can't and won't be able to bring the entire makeup bag with them this summer? :-/

That wont happen. Just sever. It's not worth it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just want to reiterate after a few months using the toiletries kit I recommended earlier, it does indeed continue to own. I picked three more up as Christmas gifts for my parents/sister who all travel a lot (sister for work, parents now that they're retired) and they all really like it as well. A ziplock bag or whatever is perfectly serviceable, but stuff is easier to find in the Lapoché, and the padding has helped keep things from getting uncapped and messy, or poking/tearing a hole in the bag. The hook for hanging it up is also really useful, on the whole the kit is really well-made and feels like it'll last me years. Is it an absolute necessity? No, but it makes life easier, and I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

edit: external link to the company's site because it looks like the old one from my original post has changed.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 10, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just want to reiterate after a few months using the toiletries kit I recommended earlier, it does indeed continue to own.
I assume you're talking car/train travel or you check a bag, right? Because if not you'd have to put everything in a ziplock to clear security anyway.

The most interesting new thing I've seen lately is that American Apparel started making wicking t-shirts. I've been using them to work out in and I like them a lot, the fabric isn't shiny or performance-looking and they dry quite fast. The fit is similar to their normal shirts, maybe a little slimmer.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I use the samsonite folding toiletry kit on my last 2 week holiday and it was awesome. THe hook is actually just a buttoned strap, and the 3 individual compartments are zippered and can just be layed out flat into the scanner. No need for the ziplock bag sillyness. It was fine with other airports like Singapore (Relatively tough in SEA). Not sure if it actually passes american tsa.

http://www.samsoniteaustralia.com/travelaccessories18.html

I really want to try a tom binh foldable laptop bag but I don't want to pay for international shipping it seems like the idea is catching on with other brands.

Another item I would recommend is having a waist wallet. I really like pacsafe. Yes it makes you feel like a travel dad but the attention to detail is awesome. 2 zipper pockets with extra fastening and a water resistant pouch. My only gripe is that it does not hold a boarding pass properly.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&activity_id=10

It's nice to pack light but drat I feel like a travel dad. stealth waist pack, flannel/polo shirt/columbia breathable shirt, khakis and comfy shoes with a carry on and dslr. When I was heading home I literally saw an alternate white version of me 25 years older with kids.

I comfort myself that I dress appropriately when I was at the Bangkok Grand Palace and not wearing a chang singlet and looking like a dude from khao san with clown pants. However, the sarongs for girls are actually nicer now, and the generic workman fluffly pants are replaced with something more "asian motif". But the top short sleeved collared shirts still look like poo poo.

How can I wear nice clothes on the road without packing a tonne of poo poo? Either quick dry undershirt for sweat absorbent or having enough time/money for lots of laundromat. This is probably my pet peeve because I like to be in cities and *try* to wear decent clothing because I might get pulled into a house party, dinner at a restaurant, or something.

Unless I feel like wearing my :pcgaming: ADDIDAS ORIGINALS CROSS OVER STARWARS T-SHIRT :pcgaming:

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Question from a first time traveller.

Is 65l excessive for 3 months in the states?

I can comfortably fit in an extra pair of jeans, 4 or 5 t-shirts and shirts, a pair of shorts, sandals and toiletries but I'd also like room if I decide to pick a few things up while I'm there.

Also, I'm borrowed it from my brother so it's saved me a few quid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're going to be checking a bag 65 isn't incredibly huge and you should be able to fit a whole lot more than that in there. I do 3 pants, 5-6 shirts, socks, underwear, extra shoes and a couple jackets in 40L.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Question from a first time traveller.

Is 65l excessive for 3 months in the states?

I can comfortably fit in an extra pair of jeans, 4 or 5 t-shirts and shirts, a pair of shorts, sandals and toiletries but I'd also like room if I decide to pick a few things up while I'm there.

Also, I'm borrowed it from my brother so it's saved me a few quid.

What part of the country/time of year are you going?

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention underwear and electricals. That was from a rough practise pack too.

I'm planning to see as much as possible. My rough itinerary is to start in New York, go south, across to the East coast and then back across to Chicago. Then fly to Miami.

Backwards I know but I screwed up my flights.

I fly Thursday. :ohdear:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, the price was right. Just don't feel like you have to fill the whole bag, souvenirs or otherwise, for your trip. If you buy a bag in the future you'll want something a bit smaller.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My rough itinerary is to start in New York, go south, across to the East coast and then back across to Chicago. Then fly to Miami.

Also I can't really track this

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

qirex posted:

I assume you're talking car/train travel or you check a bag, right? Because if not you'd have to put everything in a ziplock to clear security anyway.

Yeah, I don't really travel by plane in the US and pretty much always check a bag.

caberham posted:

How can I wear nice clothes on the road without packing a tonne of poo poo? Either quick dry undershirt for sweat absorbent or having enough time/money for lots of laundromat. This is probably my pet peeve because I like to be in cities and *try* to wear decent clothing because I might get pulled into a house party, dinner at a restaurant, or something.

I usually have two long-sleeve button-downs and a decent pair of jeans with me.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

My rough itinerary is to start in New York, go south, across to the East coast and then back across to Chicago. Then fly to Miami

You mean WEST coast, right? That's the only way I can understand that sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I'm planning to see as much as possible. My rough itinerary is to start in New York, go south, across to the East coast and then back across to Chicago. Then fly to Miami.

Also assuming you mean West Coast. And I assume you'll be driving. So why worry about packing so lightly if you won't be carrying it around?

• Locked thread