Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
So have any UK'ers found a decent version of the REI Adventures pants/trousers available from within the country? Looks like REI do deliver internationally so I'll probably just stump up for that, but figured worth asking first.

Also thanks for the great thread SG, I'm generally a light traveller but I could be lighter and there's a lot of great info here. It also makes up for every time your avatar has caused me to flick my screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Cool thanks for that info. I'll def pop into a larger M&S when I can and check out what they have.

And yeah, buying shoes unseen is something I'm not overly keen on, but I'd do it at a stretch if enough people confirmed that they do everything they claim to.

Edit: Also I'm not seeing the attraction of slip-on shoes, I prefer shoes to be secure and don't mind the few seconds it takes to undo/redo laces. Merell have always been one of my favourite brands, but I want to steer away from the walking shoes style this time and into something more omni-acceptable, i.e. usuable in most clubs as well as out and about. Gonna do a bunch of research on this one, will post here if I come up with anything useful.

Azzip fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 2, 2012

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Seconding that, I have a litehaul and love it. For my next long trip (as in several months at least) it's going to be my main bag. I like the way that the waist belt can also double as an over the shoulder strap, though since I can live without both I will probably detach that and leave it behind. I have a deuter raincover that I found somewhere which fits it perfectly and stuffs handily in the pocket/sleeve thing in the base.

With kathmandu though, I heartily recommend waiting for the frequent sales wherever possible.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
So for the UK'ers looking into shoes options, I got a pair of these a couple of weeks ago instore at Schuh for £50.

The styling is kinda trainery, but the front upper part has a formal look to it. When wearing long trousers I reckon they could pass to get into most nightclubs while still having a good grip for general day to day usage. Of course I'm not sure about the long term wear potential on the soles, but in comfort and styling they are definitely a winner in my opinion.

Azzip fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 16, 2012

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Any UK'ers have any good experience with something very similar to the REI adventure pants available over here? I'd rather not have to order from the US, but I'd also rather get something exactly right and they sound like just the ticket.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
I've never had checked luggage lost before (I rarely need it), but I'm well aware that airport baggage handlers hate me, and they hate my luggage. Not specifically me, just everyone who is human and travels on a plane.

caberham posted:

Oh and my co workers are deathly scared of going hungry in an European city so that means instant noodles and a kettle.

Please tell me this is a joke. If it's not, slap them into unconsciousness and when they come around please inform them that if all they can eat is burgers and fries, then they can get burgers and fries. Probably from a McDonalds too if that's important.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

Kolta posted:

I think I figured it out. You and your colleagues work for an instant noodle factory and you're all going to Europe to strengthen the euro noodle exchange policies.

Backing this theory too. World domination awaits!

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
So, shoes are turning into quite a mission to find (in the UK) what looks like the right pair for me. My main requirements are to have extremely durable sole (vibram), and good breathability for the hot climates. Also would want the option of being able to pass as semi-formal where needed as per the OP.

http://www.newforestfootwear.com/men%27s-sword-walking-shoes-781.html

These seem good, though I'm wondering if the styling is a bit "trainery" (would welcome others opinions on this). Also kinda pricey, but I'd rather spend a bit more a decent pair that'll be exactly what I need than trying to skimp for a few quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-ORBIT-GLOVE-Trainers-Schwarz/dp/B007YHCMLW/ref=sr_1_47?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1370811569&sr=1-47

Also, does anyone have experience with these or similar? My last pair of Merrell's lasted ages and were well comfy, so this is always a plus, but I haven't worn the "barefoot" style before. Looked in a few shops but they didn't have any. Styling seems like it could work in the pass-for-formal test as trousers/pants would hang down over the trainery bit on the side I reckon.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

MrNemo posted:

Little late but on the shoe question, I've got a couple of pairs of Merrel barefoot shoes, one for ruining and one more casual. They're super comfy and very durable. If you're on unfree UK and have money to burn Harry's of London do smart looking loafers with vibram soles but I spent a week or so being tempted by then before deciding that their just too much for what they are.

Yeah I'm still cogitating on this one, appreciate your feedback on the Merrels.

I'm also looking quite favourably at these ones as although their styling is still somewhat trainery, I think it's on the "probably get away with it in a club as long as you look presentable in general" side of things. The soles are not Vibram but Contragrip which from what I understand is an equivalent, although I don't have personal experience with this one. The guy in Cotswold Outdoor whose opinion actually did seem worth listening to, says his pair of Salomons with that sole have survived 9 months so far of significant everyday use with just slight wear on the heels due to his walking gait.

Azzip fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 18, 2013

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006

rufius posted:

Other brands that are good but pricey incude: Arcteryx (probably the most expensive), Mountain Hard Wear (can you get that in Europe?), and Columbia (again, can you get that in Europe?)

Mountain Hard Wear definitely easily available in the UK and presumably the rest of Europe too. I recently got a pair off ebay store for SnowAndRock. Columbia is available at http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/columbia and presumably from other places too.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
I've taken a lot of awesome info and advice from this thread, so I thought I'd chuck something back that might be of use to some people. I am on an extended trip right now, currently chilling in Guatemala after a couple of months in Mexico and thereabouts. I brought with me my carryon size travel pack, and what I want to talk about here which is a kayaking style dry bag.

When you search for dry bag on ebay or amazon you'll get a bunch of results, you're not looking for the sort that you put inside another bag, you're looking for something like these:

http://www.planetdry.com/ocean-packs.html

There's other manufacturers too, and what you're looking for is most importantly that it has a shoulder strap. This means it can become your day pack as well as your small overflow travel bag. The 10L size is a very nice midpoint, I can fit my 13" ultrabook and external hard disk in there and still have room to slip a few small things around it. But that's just an occasional thing, normally it'll have the normal day to day things that you might want to bring. The main reasons why I now would recommend this so hard to people are:

• It's a dry bag. If you slip into the water, your poo poo is fine. If you get caught in a sudden tropical storm, your poo poo is fine. Sure, it's not the end of the world if your book or wallet gets wet but it's nice if they don't have to, in addition to the other advantages offered here. And if you've got your smartphone or kindle on you, it's extra useful.
  • Security, in two ways. Firstly, there's one entrance and exit and unlike a bag with zips or buckles or drawstrings, it's extremely hard for someone to open it without you noticing whilst you're wearing it. For those unfamiliar, the way a dry bag works is you fold down the open end a few times then clip it in a circle - if you look at the pic you'll see. Sure, it's not impossible - a skilled pickpocket can almost always get where he wants to go but this is a lot harder and they will be much less practiced in this sort of bag. The second factor, is that as long as you get the right sort of bag, it is made from a tough fiber inside a waterproof coating. This offers a little extra protection against slashers - sure a sharp enough blade might get in first time, but there's a real chance it'll take two slashes which gives you an extra opportunity to notice. The other thing is that the bag's tube shape means there's less overhang either side. It's known on crowded buses that the person sitting to one side can slice open the side of a normal backpack that is sitting on your lap and remove what's inside without you noticing. The profile of this kind of bag makes it much harder since they would have to reach across an air gap and that is way more chance for you to notice.
  • If it's only partially filled (which is best anyway), you can seal it with some trapped air inside, chuck a bit of clothing on top (or not, whatever) and you've got a serviceable airport pillow. Secondary benefit of using it this way, is that no one is going to be able to get in there without you waking up because the moment they open it the sealed air will escape and your head will move waking you up (unless you're drugged up on sleeping pills or something).

I haven't found any disadvantages yet to using one, it's like the perfect thing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Random useful thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. Extra long charging cable for your phone so that obnoxiously placed hostel wall socket doesn't need to be a problem.

Means I can charge the phone overnight with the phone right next to me, reducing the chance that an early riser might be tempted to run off with it. Worth it's weight in gold, esp if your phone and camera use the same cable. Also sod those huge adapter things, just get a USB wall charger for the region you're in.

• Locked thread