Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That Kiva keychain pack is brilliant. I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

jonawesome posted:

Agreed, but it looked like that guy reserved a shitload of space for electronic gear. I mean I didn't seem him pack ANY underwear.

Maybe he freeballs it? I mean, it can't be all that comfortable if you're doing long hikes, but perhaps the weight savings are worth it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

man I wish I could wear Vibram fivefingers they honestly look like the most comfortable thing in the world. But my toes are hosed up, so I can't.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I was at my local big supermarket yesterday (I live in Korea) and when looking at the camping section, I found myself one of those fold-up backpacks. What an awesome piece of kit for ten bucks! I ended up using that same day to bring some groceries home. It's not all that comfortable, but it's roomy and light, exactly what you need out of a day-pack.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Xenixx posted:

as a veteran i think its hilarious that you travel with a mil. duffel bag

They're handy and durable. I've got my 80's era Canadian Forces duffel, I've lugged that thing all over the loving world. Durable and roomy as they are, they are hilariously uncomfortable for long carries, have no padding whatsoever. I'll take a real pack or a suitcase anyday of the week.

Mine actually got so bad when travelling in vietnam (lots of airports) that I broke down and bought a fake samsonite suitcase. So much better.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

plaindot posted:

This is loving great, thanks OP. I'm doing a solo 2-week japan trip soon and was wondering if I should buy Hiking pack- whenever I see them I felt like they're too big. I'll buy what you showed me instead (I don't even have that much stuff), thanks.

I'm just wondering if I should bring my laptop, there are long traim rides (ranging from 5 hrs to 2 hrs), but it's 15 inch macbook pro...

Usually I brought along lots of underwears just in case, but right now I'm looking at 2 pants (plus 1 I'll be wearing), 6 t-shirts (hot in japan), 1 shirt (will be worn), 6 panties, 3 socks, toiletries (toothbrush and the like), 1 camera and possibly laptop (with chargers+adapters) and possibly moneybag.

Maybe I should reduce it to 5 t-shirts instead and bring a hat. Sadly since I just moved back to my country, I got no hoodies. Probably should buy one fleece jacket or something eh?

More socks. You're gonna be backpacking, and you're going to want to change your socks on a regular basis to avoid heavy blisters.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

When I was back in Canada I went down to the local Mountain Equipment Co-op (That is a dangerous, DANGEROUS place for gear-queers like myself) and picked myself up a MSR CampTowel. It's made of microfibre so it wicks moisture really quick, and dries just as fast. It's really a fantastic investment if you plan on going to the beach or something, just let it dry on top of your pack for a few minutes and you're gold, as opposed to hours/never for a normal towel.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ok, I need a suggestion from you guys.

I'm going to be travelling around Asia quite a bit in the next year and I need a pack. I already have a good Jack Wolfskin hiking pack but it's far too large for carry-on size. I need a good quality, large carry-on bag. I prefer Swiss Army/Victorniox, Osprey, or Moutain Equipment Co-Op, but I'll take your own recommendations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well I'm gonna be on Koh Phi Phi in about 3 weeks, I'm curious as to that sign now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

These should be mentioned in the O.P. as the single most loving useful little bit of travel gear ever:

Nite Ize S-Binders

I keep a few of these on me everywhere I go, it's gotten to the point that I wear one on my pants at all times and keep one around the handle on my backpack. They're really useful if you need an extra hand to carry groceries, more room for some small carryon, etc. They're dirt cheap and probably the single best travel investment I've ever made.

Just bought 3 of these, never know when you might need them. Plus there's a new version out that has bottle-openers on both sides, so quite handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Acid Jerk posted:

Anyone know Asian Air's policy on carry on luggage? I am using Alaska to fly to LA, then flying to Seoul and then to Shanghai using AsianA. The website states dimensions but does not mention if you also can bring a "personal item" (I have a suitcase type bag for my notebook, books, and other small items) Anyone have experience with that airline?

Do you mean Asiana? Normal baggage rules apply, probably more lenient than a lot of other carriers.

• Locked thread