Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Why don't you like waist straps?

I found even though I wasn't hiking that sometimes the walk from a train/bus station to the hostel was a few km's and the waist strap takes a load of weight off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Im flying into San Francisco in July and then renting a car (Ford Focus in size) and heading out for 5 weeks around the western states. Im planning on doing a mix of camping, couchsurfing and sleeping in my car as a last resort. Im not planning on bringing any camping and living gear over with the exception of a sleeping bag as I'll be staying in other places for a month before that and dont want to carry a whole heap of poo poo around. Also the prices in the states are much cheaper than Australia.

However how feasible is it to buy a bunch of that stuff at a Walmart? Like tent, sleeping mat, cutlery and stuff to eat from, whatever else I need. Im looking for the cheapest stuff as I will probably not take it back with me. A $30 tent is pretty drat cheap so Im hoping thats liveable as long as its not pouring rain or really windy.

If not what are the outdoor stores in the SF area? I'll head east through Oakland and then towards Stockton/Modesto from SF first up and will probably be stopping somewhere along the way to stock up on all I need for 5 weeks

I looked at the Patagonia stuff but that is way too expensive and would be even more if I wanted to ship it all back to Australia at the end of it (gently caress giving away a $200 tent).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

qirex posted:

This is my luggage scale, I like it. I don't take it with me on trips but it's pretty useful. I got down to 16 pounds for my trip to London last year because Virgin Atlantic had some ridiculous rules posted then watched people with 2 rolling cases board without issue.

They were either business class, were high enough in the frequent flyer program that they are allowed to do that or they paid for it.

You get a few perks when you hit silver/gold in frequent flyer programs.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Leaving a bag alone on the beach is pretty much inviting someone to steal your poo poo. Buy a drink/snack from a vendor who looks trustworthy and ask to leave it with them, if you must. Personally, I normally just bring a towel, a bit of money, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc and leave the camera at home, even though I'm an avid photographer. Part of that is not wanting to get sand in a nice camera though.

Obviously totally depends on the country though. There a few countries you would think are very dodgy for that kind of stuff and yet the culture of leaving poo poo on a beach is 99% of the time respected and vice versa with some nicer countries.

Also I have never felt to hide my stuff when couchsurfing. All of the people I've done it with have been 100% legit and its pretty loving obvious if you are the only person staying there who stole your poo poo unlike a hostel where there are people coming and going all the time. Again this would change if the person I was staying with just really had a bad vibe but Ive never had that couchsurfing.

Hostels I would definitely lock my stuff up. For motels/hotels I tend to just leave my passport and poo poo in my suitcase, not out in the open or anything (except I do leave small change and poo poo out but I know how much is there and would laugh if they were that brazen). If its a 2 day or less stay then I often put the DND sign up anyway because I dont need new towels or linen or anything. If they really want to rummage through my stuff then thats just a fact of travelling.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rapsey posted:

Generally if I'm at the beach I buy a seat and asume whoever is selling them is going to keep away thieves. I've even obviously used an ipod on the beach and left it in the bag when swimming. Maybe I'm just an optimist :)

What beaches sell seats? Ive never seen that....

Another option is to go to a beach NO ONE is at. One guy would have to run 400m to your stuff to get to it :D

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Ringo R posted:

Great OP, Sheep-Goats! I need to bring some liquor in my large backpack as my carry-on will be full. Any tips on how to wrap them so they get home in one piece? I'm thinking getting a sturdy box and pad it with bubble wrap.

Bottles of spirits tend to have pretty thick glass so its really unlikely that anything will happen if you just pack it in the middle of all your clothing. I have done this multiple times. I just wrap my towel, thickest jumpers, pants around them and then make sure they sit in the very middle and won't shift. If its beer or wine then a box with bubble wrap is a better idea.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

In my experience with major US airlines, they generally make you abide by carry on size restrictions. It's not that people are bringing on carry-ons larger than allowed so much as the fact that the airline can't accommodate full-sized carry-ons for every passenger. So travelers who don't have priority boarding are the ones who are affected, and the airline is [mostly] deflecting the blame.

I definitely find that travelling domestically in America (where I go a few times a year) there's always way more of a struggle to find space for your bag than say Australia (where I live). People there just seem to really push the boundaries of carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I got a job in consulting and will probably be doing a fair bit of travelling - current project includes 4 week-long trips in 4 different countries - so its time to get some proper luggage.

At the moment I'm looking at B&R's U119CX(Commuter carry-on) and U121CXW (International carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/type/carry-on/baseline-commuter-expandable-upright-u119cx
http://www.briggs-riley.com/baseline-international-carry-on-expandable-wide-body-upright-u121cxw?p=2

If it was for work only (on a typical fly-in Monday and back Friday schedule) the choice would be easy - 4 shirts, 2 trousers, blazer if I didn't want to wear it on the plane, socks, undies, toiletries and a set of workout clothes would fit into the commuter nicely, but if I'm spending that much on a bag I'd like to use it for holidays too.

As it happens, in a couple of months I'll be going to Scandinavia for 18 days, and I'm wondering if the commuter is too small for that kind of trip. Don't know if its normal or not but I don't keep 17 pairs of underwear so a trip to the laundromat would happen at some point during the trip but I'm not one of those ultralight guys who like doing laundry in the bathroom at the end of each day. Think I could squeeze a couple of pants, a weeks worth of socks, tees, undies, an extra pair of shoes and a pair of slippers, a pullover and a hardshell (marmot precip) in the Commuter?

I tend to aim to pack into a carry on bag a weeks worth of clothing and then aim to do a wash around every week or 9-10 days if I stretch/pack very efficiently/aren't staying in a tropical area where I sweat a lot.

I also tend to book Airbnbs which often have a washing machine that makes life a lot easier. I can wash and hang clothes during the day when I'm out rather than finding a laundromat and sitting at one for a couple of hours.

• Locked thread