Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Goats, what do you think about taking some kind of hooded vest? I mean something like this http://image02.otto.de/pool/formatz/5348679.jpg
You made me painfully aware of how much useless poo poo I'm lugging around while travelling, but I was fairly happy to have one of these with me while travelling on the airconned bus in Thailand and on the plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

How do you guys deal with shoes when you plan on say, hiking up an Indonesian mountain? Take an extra sturdy pair or just harden the gently caress up?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Exactly, so how do you feel about not using hiking shoes at all? Acceptable risk? Stupid move?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Fideles posted:

There are 2 basic machine types. Type 1, the machine dispenses local currency and charges you in local currency. Your bank will receive a debit request in the local currency but charge your account in your home currency. They usually charge an admin fee for this and the exchange rate is typically ok at best. The other machine type (the dynamic currency conversion) will dispense local currency but charge your card in the your home currency. The ATM operator will set the exchange rate and will typically not charge an admin fee. Usually (but not 100% of the time) the exchange rate is also preferable. In this case you are effectively cutting out the middle man as your bank just see a debit from your account in home currency for which they will not charge.

When I was in London past weekend I could choose to use the ATM rate or my own banks rate. The difference was 7 euro (on a 120, so more than 5%) in favor of my local bank. Maybe my bank is just not an rear end in a top hat (there is no admin fee for example), but for me it's clear that the type 1 devices are preferable

• Locked thread